marching stride [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : marching stride

cyriaque
08-05-2009, 12:12
What is the length of stride and pace while marching in formation?

gruntmedik
08-05-2009, 17:50
30" step, 112-120 steps/min

08-05-2009, 19:15
30" step, 112-120 steps/min

agree with 30 " step but rate was 120 steps per minute when I in the USMC. Same pace all of Sousa's(who was the leader of the USMC Band {The President's Own}for many years) March Songs were written to be played 4/4

gruntmedik
08-05-2009, 20:08
agree with 30 " step but rate was 120 steps per minute when I in the USMC. Same pace all of Sousa's(who was the leader of the USMC Band {The President's Own}for many years) March Songs were written to be played 4/4

I agree with the 120 per, as it is what I was taught at Parris Island in 85. However, I took my answer straight from the USMC Drill and Ceremonies Manual. Granted, it was the first result google gave me. It also said 12", 15", or 30" steps.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/nrotc/JROTC/MCO_P5060_1_.20_1.pdf

md2lgyk
08-06-2009, 09:51
Retired Air Force here. What exactly is "marching in formation?"

deadday
08-06-2009, 11:35
Retired Air Force here. What exactly is "marching in formation?"

Formation is that box thing you all line up in to receive blanket awards :whistling:

Marine8541
08-06-2009, 17:02
I agree with the 120 per, as it is what I was taught at Parris Island in 85. However, I took my answer straight from the USMC Drill and Ceremonies Manual. Granted, it was the first result google gave me. It also said 12", 15", or 30" steps.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/nrotc/JROTC/MCO_P5060_1_.20_1.pdf

It's correct, remember it's close order drill and ceremonies and without going into too much detail pace and stride will change depending on the occasion such as passing a reviewing stand or a funeral march.

cyriaque
08-07-2009, 12:12
I thought i remembered 30" , 120 / mnute from boot camp

Marine8541
08-08-2009, 00:33
I thought i remembered 30" , 120 / mnute from boot camp

I'll right I will go into more detail. 120 with a thirty inch step works fine when you're marching in a straight line but nothing including parade review is in a straight line. When the maneuvering element is on the march and a move to a ninety degree angle in a uniform manner is needed the proper command is "column right... march". It's a two part command with column right being the preparatory command and march being the execution command. On the command march the element leader and guide execute a movement of pivot with the element leader taking 24 inch strides the guide marches ahead with 30 inch strides so he over takes the element leader. The rest of the column pivots where the guide did but if the entire column kept taking 30 inch strides they couldn't maintain cover, alignment nor 40 inches back to chest.

It's like runners running around a track, the distance the outside squads of the column have to travel further so they maintain a 30 inch stride the inside squads of the column must shorten their stride so cover and alignment and distance may be retained so the inside most element cuts their stride to 12 inches but maintain cadence by lifting the legs higher. The next squad from the inside also shortens their stride but to maintain cover, alignment, and distance the cut their stride to 15 inch strides but maintain cadence by lifting their knees higher than the outside of the column but not as high as the inside of the column. This way the outer most squads can cover more ground than the inner most squads and still maintain cover, alignment, and 40 inches back to chest.

It's easy if you don't confuse stride with cadence.