Concealed Weapons applications up 67% [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Weapons applications up 67%

U-phorik407
08-08-2009, 14:43
Orlando Sentinel Had this in their headlines, although I think this might be a little late, considering I heard they hired more people a while back, or were at least working on it...
TALLAHASSEE - Florida is seeing a huge increase in applications for concealed weapon permits.

The state is on pace to handle 150,000 requests -- a 67 percent increase over 2008. The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services was so overwhelmed that Commissioner Charles Bronson petitioned the Legislature for 61 temporary employees, giving him 202 workers to wade through a spring backlog of 90,000 requests.

That amount alone represents as many petitions as the state received in all of 2008.

"We're still sitting on about 50,000 applications," Bronson said. "We're getting in about 14,000 or 15,000 a month, and whenever they get a good slug out, they're getting another 15,000 in."

As of July 31, Florida had 607,977 concealed-weapon permit holders. Most permit requests are approved, so long as the person is over 21 and has no felony record.

Former National Rifle Association president Marion Hammer, who lobbied Florida legislators two decades ago to pass one of the country's first concealed-carry laws, says he's not surprised. The increase follows a law prohibiting businesses from banning guns in the workplace as long as employees lock them safely in cars. Hammer also says President Barack Obama's election and the Democrat Party's advances in Congress are alarming to gun rights advocates.

"There are over 6 million gun owners in Florida -- people who care about freedom, who care about the 2nd Amendment, who are concerned about their ability to protect themselves," Hammer said.

Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, calls those concerns "paranoia." As evidence, Hamm points to new legislation unopposed by Obama that allows guns in national parks.

"We've seen nothing out of this administration whatsoever," Hamm said. "Law-abiding citizens who are getting permits because they think the government is coming to take their guns away are just wrong -- it's an absurd, cartoonish myth."

Also, I was at a Political rally last night, Senator Carey Baker was there, and he stated the Concealed Weapons License holders were somewhere in the 900,000's!! That got a lot of cheers! Interesting read though, just figured I'd share. :wavey:

Dandapani
08-08-2009, 14:57
Our young, female admin in my group, a member of the Florida Young Republicans, went for training, has the paperwork ready to go, except for the fingerprints. She doesn't even own a firearm yet, but wanted her CCW just in case.

U-phorik407
08-08-2009, 16:03
They didn't do her FP's at the class?? Odd... I submitted my paperwork last Monday... This is going to test my patience I know lol

I'm pushing my fiance to take the class, I think everyone should take it, knowledge is power, regardless if you're going to carry or not, I think if you own a weapon, or think you may, you should take it.

G19Pistolero
08-10-2009, 11:16
Took my class yesterday, photos done today, fingerprints tomorrow...the wait will soon begin...

-J.-

Mr. Blandings
08-10-2009, 14:08
They didn't do her FP's at the class?? Odd... The fingerprints must be done by law enforcement - not all instructors are LE.

Tactical black
08-23-2009, 20:04
had the same headline today on the local paper thats a good thing, I suspect the crime rate may decline a little

U-phorik407
08-24-2009, 13:24
Yes, it's been almost 30 days since I submitted my paperwork... I'm getting the itch real bad now, I can't wait for it to show up... unfortunately, it might not come soon enough, as a friend of mine and I are planning a trip down to Miami, and I'd really like to have it with me then, but I guess it'll have to remain in the vehicle, or just at home.

Brumoon
08-27-2009, 21:29
You can save some time by getting electronic fingerprints - They are submitted to the FBI at the same time they go to the state. Can cut the wait time in half.

Not all police stations or Sheriff offices have the equipment - Call around.

SilverBullet_83
08-27-2009, 23:14
it tokk me just under 4 months to get mine back. My wife got hers as well and she does not have a weapon as of now