Question about Master At Arms Rate... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Master At Arms Rate...

2fast4u
08-10-2009, 14:05
Guys,

I'm thinking about signing up for the Navy Reserve. I was active duty USAF for 12-years and have been out for over 15-years. I've been working in Public Safety since getting out.

Please tell me about what the duty is like as an MA in the Reserve. I was an Electronics technician in the USAF. Is it worth the weekend a month, two weeks a year, 7-week training school, and possibility of deployment? I'm not worried about a deployment, been there, done that, it's part of being on Uncle Sugar's dime.

Thanks!

MrMurphy
08-10-2009, 16:10
You'll train at Lackland, at the Security Forces Academy......... just saying.

chuckman
08-18-2009, 10:35
I have a buddy, a deputy sheriff, who was a corpsman with me. He cross-rated to MA and gets activated/deployed one year out of three. Of course, so far, its all been CONUS.

barney-5-0
08-26-2009, 13:52
I am retired now but did my stint as an MA. Think more of a Force Protection setting than a Law Enforcement setting. Also there is the disciplinary barracks as well. Most of the time when I used to get reservists that were mobilized, I would get them as much training as I could. But most of them were pulling 12 hour guard duty.

They want to do well and be a super cop, however; there isn't much need for that in the Navy. We aren't like the other services which use their own man power to patrol the base.

Hope this helps.

sean665
09-17-2009, 09:04
I just graduated from MA school July 17th at Lackland, yes the focus is much more on force protection and anti terrorism. They do teach some basic law enforcement skills, handcuffing, searching people and vehicles, etc. but most of that stuff on our bases is done by private civilian contractors now.