hand carry a barrel from US [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : hand carry a barrel from US

docroy
08-12-2009, 05:39
Hello Sirs,

I'm a newbie here in the forum so as in the hobby of shooting. I bought a glock 22 last 2007. I'm very satisfied with it for it was my dream gun. Lately, i was advised to invest on a after market barrel like KKM or lonewolf so i could shoot leads with my glock. My question is can i hand carry a barrel from US? Would that be safe even if it's just a single Barrel for personal use and not for commercial purposes? Suppliers here are selling it for double the price from the original price it's being offered in the states. Also, nobody here is selling a threaded barrel. If you have any info regarding these matters kindly text me at 09178849311. Thanks!

boholglock
08-12-2009, 05:46
Save yourself the hassle/risks.

NEVER DO whatever you're planning.

You or whoever is hand carrying your barrel could end up in jail.

docroy
08-12-2009, 05:54
Thanks a lot for that worhty advice. I'l take your word for it. Anyhow do you know where i could get what i'm looking for here locally so as to save me from that hassles/risks you've mentioned? Thanks again:cool::cool:

vega
08-12-2009, 07:19
So that we be clear on the matter, carrying out on your person might be a problem but if you put it on your check in luggage is ok. Barrel is just a part here in the US and it is not controlled. It is the frame which is controlled.

Once your barrel reached Philippines' soil, you have now in your possession is what the Phil law considered a firearm which could land you in jail with a hefty fine.

Paying twice the price is probably more worth it. Hey I shoot lead in my G22 and can sleep well at night. Do a search on the matter and you will see a lot of owners shooting lead thru the barrel.

ess45
08-12-2009, 10:01
Buy a reloader instead.

And yes, I use lead on my G22 with stock barrel.

St. Croix
08-12-2009, 10:25
i asked a smith once if its possible if i could just bring the slide to have sights installed. i was told that even separate parts, e.g. slide, frame or barrel would still be treated as a complete firearm and that ptc/ptt would still be required which i did not have at the time. i didnt bother to risk it.

markieboy
08-12-2009, 10:47
Barrel is just a part here in the US and it is not controlled. It is the frame which is controlled.

Once your barrel reached Philippines' soil, you have now in your possession is what the Phil law considered a firearm which could land you in jail with a hefty fine.

Agree 100%. When you leave the States, a gun barrel is considered a part. Once you arrive in the Philippines, that same barrel is considered a firearm.

Many would just advise you to purchase a barrel in the Philippines.

bulm540
08-12-2009, 18:05
TSA will confiscate the barrel and they may throw in Jail and blacklist you. They will probably do a cavity check and see if you the other firearm parts.

Kaiser Soze
08-12-2009, 19:06
TSA will confiscate the barrel and they may throw in Jail and blacklist you. They will probably do a cavity check and see if you the other firearm parts.

:goodpost:

He's absolutely right. Save yourself the hassle and just buy a barrel at Trust Trade, or Twin Pines.

astig007
08-12-2009, 20:12
had a schuemann barrel brought home for me inside a checked-in luggage last year. had the barrel delivered to florida from speed shooters. though it won't be repeated again due to the constant fear during the flight.

vega
08-12-2009, 23:41

Once again from TSA website:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#6

Black_SIR
08-13-2009, 19:42
my friendss g22 shot almost 7000 rounds oure reload, his unit never shot a afctory FMJ since...

PMMA97
08-14-2009, 00:35
Even the Philippine customs declaration form specifically prohibits firearms and parts.

BrassKnuckle
08-14-2009, 00:36
Agree 100%. When you leave the States, a gun barrel is considered a part. Once you arrive in the Philippines, that same barrel is considered a firearm.

Just a bit of trivia on why barrels are considered complete firearms in the Phils... It was not always that way but a lot of people caught with "sumpaks" were getting away on technicalities because they were basically just barrels. Hence the change in the law to what it is today.

Just buy the barrel in-country and treat the price difference as an insurance premium guaranteeing that you will not wind up in trouble.

Black_SIR
08-14-2009, 01:26
quote from a friend, when doing someting make sure your on the legal side bro..:whistling:

docroy
08-14-2009, 06:11
oh gee! I'm so glad to hear a lot of advice esp from the senior members. Thank you guys! I'm very well-guided now with regard to that issue.:embarassed:

Can anyone here direct me to a good gunsmith for my M1 carbine? There seems to be a problem re feeding of the bullet to the barrel causing it to jam. Thanks again everybody!:cool::cool:

BrassKnuckle
08-14-2009, 08:18
Can anyone here direct me to a good gunsmith for my M1 carbine? There seems to be a problem re feeding of the bullet to the barrel causing it to jam. Thanks again everybody!:cool::cool:

It might just be a worn feed lip on the magazine. Did you use it with new magazines?

isuzu
08-14-2009, 20:58
Some locally-made ammo are also the culprit of jams aside from magazines. Not enough pressure to fully retract the bolt. Try Poongsan, WCC, American Eagle, Remington-UMC.

paltiq
08-15-2009, 02:34
let us not forget to tell docroy about the BRASS issues... how many times is it safe to use on a factory G22 barrel... is it safe to use a brass that is already 10x reloaded? i believe it is not the only LEAD....but especially the worn out brass issues... (filipino shooter culture..."use the brass till it cracks;-)"

docroy
08-15-2009, 05:59
Thanks BrassKnuckle! I have 7 magazines but they are all old. Can it still be repaired or polished so i could use it still? Or buy a new one? Where?:embarassed:

To Isuzu, thanks for the suggestion for the ammo. But where can i get those?:embarassed:

I totally agree with you Paltiq. Filipino culture dictates that we use things to exhaustion thereby jeopardizing our safety at times or i should say...most of the times:supergrin:

Thank you guys!

BrassKnuckle
08-15-2009, 10:23
Thanks BrassKnuckle! I have 7 magazines but they are all old. Can it still be repaired or polished so i could use it still? Or buy a new one? Where?:embarassed:

It is best to just buy new ones. Twin Pines used to have unissued (i.e. new) USGI magazines in stock. Those were the 15rd mags which are generally more reliable than the 30rd variants. They may still have them.

While you're there, Twin Pines also sells spring sets for Carbines and it might be a good idea to get one and replace all the springs in your gun.

Low powered rounds would manifest themselves with short-cycling; a condition where the bolt moves back only partially then either returns to battery with the empty case, jams on the empty case, or ejects the empty case yet fails to strip a fresh cartridge from the magazine.

Your problem with jamming upon feeding is most likely a magazine lip issue, specially since you confirmed that what you have are old ones.

Good luck. Let us know how things work out.

isuzu
08-15-2009, 18:34
Those are quite hard to come by now. However, keep your eyes and ears open. There might be someone who would sell them. You may also scout among the gunstores in your area. Some of these ammo pop up on the shelves once in a while. Stay away from the SBMC ammo. They are, IMO, the worst .30 carbine ammo I've encountered. Short stroking of the bolt is the most common cause of this ammo.

Another thing you may want to do with your carbine is to spray Break Free on the piston of the rifle. It is located under the handguard and it also has been known to cause jams if it's dirty. Don't remove it, though, if you don't have the proper tool to dissasemble the piston.

BrassKnuckle
08-15-2009, 20:48
Stay away from the SBMC ammo. They are, IMO, the worst .30 carbine ammo I've encountered. Short stroking of the bolt is the most common cause of this ammo.

What ammo is headstamped SBMC? The most available brand here is Armscor (headstamped ACP and sometimes PMC) and that seems to work on good guns.

The problem here really is the condition of the guns, specially the bores. One time I encountered a gun with a bore so worn that a bullet inserted into the muzzle (to check muzzle erosion) fell all the way down to the breech! That gun couldn't maintain enough pressure to cycle the bolt.

In milder cases, given the unavailability of replacement parts, local smiths just lighten the operating slide to restore function. Guns with M2 "round" bolts are also given the older M1 "flat" bolts to reduce weight and improve cycling.

Alam mo naman dito sa Pinas, we make do with what's available. Sadly, good carbine smiths who know the fixes are a dying breed. Literally.

docroy
08-16-2009, 02:34
Thanks BrassKnuckle and Isuzu! Advices are duly noted. However, i don't know where will i bring it to have the springs replaced after buying it from twinpines? Some told me to bring it to Pascual Gunworks? are they ok? Pls enlighten me on this matter. Thanks!:wavey:

BrassKnuckle
08-16-2009, 02:56
If you are mechanically inclined you can install the springs yourself. The only difficult one to install would be the extractor spring.

I know Tony Pascual works on carbines. I was also told that the AFP had some of their carbines refurbished by Corazbal Gun Works before they were issued to CAFGU units.

isuzu
08-16-2009, 10:27
SBMC is Squires Bingham. The AFP were issued some of them after the LC, WCC, PS and other imported ammo ran out.

Barrel erosion is also another factor to consider. There are lots of carbines in the Philippines that need new barrels. Sadly, the supply of replacement barrels in the country is almost nil. Lucky if there's somebody selling one. And the gunstores concentrate on M16 barrels and not carbines.

docroy
08-17-2009, 08:31
If you are mechanically inclined you can install the springs yourself. The only difficult one to install would be the extractor spring.

I know Tony Pascual works on carbines. I was also told that the AFP had some of their carbines refurbished by Corazbal Gun Works before they were issued to CAFGU units.

Thanks for the heads up on this issue. I'll go to corazbal then. Do you think there's a club for M1 owners? or a competition perhaps? :cool: I really want to fixed-up my carbine. Have no budget for an M4. Besides, i think it would be cool and cheaper to maintain an M1 carbine hehe justifying my being a cheapskate:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

docroy
08-17-2009, 09:04
To Imho, i'm not sure if i got your name right. Regarding your private message for me about the barrel, i wasn't able to read/open it, kindly send it again. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks:embarassed: