Miami Herald wrong again [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Miami Herald wrong again

GlocknSpiehl
08-12-2009, 10:45
In their "Action Line" they give an incorrect answer on FL gun law. I already sent them a polite, scholarly reply. :cool:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/action-line/story/1173184.html

GlocknSpiehl
08-12-2009, 10:59
Wow! I actually got a response back in 10 minutes! :wow:

Here is what they sent, as well as my original email...

Thank you, we will make a correction, Action Line

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:43 PM
To: ActionLine (MHPC)
Subject: Gun in glove box

Your advice is incorrect and the person that you spoke with at the licensing office is misinformed. Here is a website with the current FL laws governing concealed weapons: http://handgunlaw.us/

Here is the PDF that contains and cites the pertinent FL statutes governing all the laws regarding concealed weapons in FL: http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Specifically, I draw your attention to Florida Statute 790.25, Subsection 5, which states:

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon or self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Additionally, Section 790.001 Subsection 17 definitively identifies glove boxes as legal places to carry a loaded handgun, without a CCW permit:

790.001 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:

(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, [emphasis mine] whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

All this information is readily available with a simple Google search. Also, unless you speak with a lawyer who knows Florida's gun laws inside and out, you will mostly get a lot of personal opinions not consistent with Florida statutes, case history and laws. You will note that the statute even defines "snapped in a holster" as being a correct way to carry a loaded handgun in your car in Florida. These standards (glove box, etc) have consistently been upheld in court cases when a person has been charged with unlawful concealed carry.

I am not a lawyer and do not play one on TV, I merely try to be well informed about my Constitutional rights

m41lover
08-12-2009, 12:20
don't hold your breathe waiting for a correction - maybe i'll be surprised this time but in general news media won't or is very slow to correct any false anti-gun news ...

10-65
08-12-2009, 15:21
I frequent the Miami Herald website, and this is the first time I've ever heard of, or seen, their "Action Line" section.

Something tells me not too many people will see it either.

GlocknSpiehl
08-12-2009, 15:23
I frequent the Miami Herald website, and this is the first time I've ever heard of, or seen, their "Action Line" section.

Something tells me not too many people will see it either.

It's a very popular column they run twice a week in the paper. I like reading it because they give you contact info to get stuff fixed (streetlights, etc). But sometimes they are just too lazy to get correct info.

Last time I wrote them was when they told some guy that it WAS legal for his condo to refuse to let him put up a mini-dish to get satellite tv. :wow:

GlocknSpiehl
08-12-2009, 15:25
What I am wondering is if I should post my reply to them in the online comments box as well...

10-65
08-12-2009, 15:29
It's a very popular column they run twice a week in the paper. I like reading it because they give you contact info to get stuff fixed (streetlights, etc). But sometimes they are just too lazy to get correct info.

Ok. I Don't actually read the hard-copy. When would they expect to run this particular column, or have they already done so?

What I am wondering is if I should post my reply to them in the online comments box as well...

Absolutely!

And If it's not against their terms, I would also post their reply back to you, just so everyone else knows they've already acknowledged the error.

GlocknSpiehl
08-12-2009, 15:33
I think I'll give them a day to post the correction on the website.

ThrillSeeker
08-15-2009, 15:36
The Miami Hearld is so far to the left that they seem to be coming from the right. I stopped giving them my money over 35 years ago. I DO NOT buy their wrapper even to wrap fish with.

GSSF17
08-15-2009, 16:14
The Miami Hearld is so far to the left that they seem to be coming from the right. I stopped giving them my money over 35 years ago. I DO NOT buy their wrapper even to wrap fish with.

Well said. I feel the same way about the Orlando SLANTinel.

CTW
08-17-2009, 10:28
I grew up reading both Rag's and they both hate gun owners period end of story!