Anybody remember the giant Rebel flag at college football games? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody remember the giant Rebel flag at college football games?

NRA_guy
08-13-2009, 18:52
Something I have been wondering about for a while, and not sure who to ask:

Does anybody else remember seeing the giant Rebel flag (yes, that one, the Confederate battle flag) displayed at half time at college football games years ago?

It was either Ole Miss or Mississippi Southern. Should have been Ole Miss as they are the Rebels, but for some reason I think it was the Dixie Darlin's at Southern.

The flag was almost big enough to cover the whole football field.

The whole college band would stand underneath it and make it wave.

That was back in the late 50s or early 60s. I saw it on TV not live.

I just wonder what ever happened to the flag.

Was it trashed?

Is it stored in the depths of some college warehouse?

Anybody know?

NRA_guy
08-14-2009, 11:33
I talked with an Ole Miss attorney who confirmed that it was, in fact, Ole Miss.

He saw them display the flag at a Sugar Bowl game. It could have been any of these games:

1958 Mississippi 39 Texas 7
1960 Mississippi 21 LSU 0
1961 Mississippi 14 Rice 6
1963 Mississippi 17 Arkansas 13
1964 Alabama 12 Mississippi 7

para40
08-15-2009, 13:06
Yes I remember.

You do know you're dating us eh? I now have things that hurt that I used to not even know I had.:crying:

chevy01234
09-01-2009, 22:31
A buddy of mine has an old picture in his house of that..I am a recent graduate of Ole Miss so HOTTY TODDY!

SouthernGal
10-23-2009, 12:51
I know where this flag came from and likely can find out what happened to it but it would take some digging.

The flag was stored somewhere in a basement near Ole Miss or on the campus itself and it is VERY VERY OLD. It was found out about again in the late 80's/early 90's by the SCV (Sons of Confederate Veterans) and I know the guy who drove to Oxford to pick it up. What they did with it after he retrieved it or where it went to be put into safekeeping I'm not sure. I haven't heard from that guy in years, but he dated my roomate just after I graduated from college in 1994.

It is pure coincidence that I ran across this post. I hadn't thought about that guy in a very long time (like 10+ years). The SCV was interested in it because it hadn't been used by the University in a long time and because they sought to preserve it (Ole Miss has since forbidden that flag at games).

PM me and I'll give you the guy's name who picked it up in Oxford. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but at the time the SCV set up their headquarters at this guy's parent's house (which was a historic home). They may still be located there and if they are, it will be easier for you to trace what happened to this flag.

1985 4Runner
10-26-2009, 13:41
Tagged, as my interest is now pegged.

FWIW, the Politically Correct crowd has all but killed the last remnants of Southern culture.

NRA_guy
10-26-2009, 18:18
PM sent.

oxfordethan
11-23-2009, 13:32
In the fall of '94, The Phi Kappa Tau's had a huge Rebel Flag draped over the entire house. It was homecoming i think. Don't know if it's the same flag but that thing was huge!

NRA_guy
11-23-2009, 20:28
Thanks all who have offered insight.

I'm still checking but not making much progress.