.40 S&W heads - 185gr or 200gr? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .40 S&W heads - 185gr or 200gr?

9MX
08-15-2009, 00:42
When Col Bayang learned I was using 200gr on my SAMSCOR, he insisted that I use 185gr. Its supposed to take advantage of something (I forgot his technical explanation).

So anybody care to elaborate, comment on this? Mcoliver?

mc_oliver
08-15-2009, 03:53
I'm cheap so I use whatever is cheap... :rofl:

Seriously, theory says that you use lesser lead on moving targets if your bullet is travelling faster, case of the 185gr. Gun also feels 'faster', snap vs push.

In practical terms, doesn't really matter since we're doing a whole lot of other stuff that prevents us from shooting fast A's. In m case, my gun doesn't like 200gr heads and refuses to feed. So 185 gamit ko.

9MX
08-15-2009, 04:18
hmmm interesting..save for the slide..we have identical standard guns..and mine eats 185 or 200

jasonub
08-15-2009, 07:35
personal preference lang yan. try both and choose what you like best.

if your used to the push recoil like the 45 use the 200 grain head. if you like fast recoil or snap, use the 180

I use 180, lito uses 200.

I dont like the 200, he does not like the 180

mc_oliver
08-15-2009, 09:27
Talking about heads, saan pina ka ok na teflon? Price-wise and how many do I need to buy to get a good price?

Yung Magnus heads looks ok. Test namin ni shihan pag natapos na sya mag test load. A bit pricey lang at 2.65 a pop.

Allegra
08-15-2009, 09:39

if your used to the push recoil like the 45 use the 200 grain head. if you like fast recoil or snap, use the 180

Pareho kami load ni Lito nung std ako since isya gumagawa ng bala namin
I remember we even used 210gr pag nationals kasi mas gusto ko gamitin pag may strong /weak hand
180 feels too snappy for me

i_am_infinity
08-15-2009, 10:20
i tried using both and the 180 is too snappy for me and masakit sa kamay...but if u want the slow and soft feel go for the 200.

Eye Cutter
08-15-2009, 10:35
generally, the 200 gr will be a little slower to get back on target but easier to track the sights. the 180gr will snap back faster but more wiggle in the front sight

bulm540
08-15-2009, 16:34

Ditto

ahtsay
08-16-2009, 06:45
Can't feel the difference between the two....it's too subtle for me:supergrin: Pero sa mga nagtitipid sa powder, I guess the 200gr uses less powder to make major. I would still use 180gr heads just because thats what i've always used. Sorry nix, medyo hinde ako nakatulong noh? :upeyes: hehe!!

stanship
08-16-2009, 07:05
When Col Bayang learned I was using 200gr on my SAMSCOR, he insisted that I use 185gr. Its supposed to take advantage of something (I forgot his technical explanation).

So anybody care to elaborate, comment on this? Mcoliver?

nix, seeing how you shoot your samscor during our practice and sa competition na din, i think yun 180 grains ang bagay sa style ng shooting mo... para ka bumilis :rofl:

kidding aside, +2 ako dun sa sinabi ni jasonub, personal preference lang yan.
i always like to shoot the 180 grains. kung meron lang 165 grains na mabibilan dito, i would like to try that too.

9MX
08-16-2009, 08:09
Can't feel the difference between the two....it's too subtle for me:supergrin: Pero sa mga nagtitipid sa powder, I guess the 200gr uses less powder to make major. I would still use 180gr heads just because thats what i've always used. Sorry nix, medyo hinde ako nakatulong noh? :upeyes: hehe!!

yan din ang experience ko, didn't feel the diff..

stanship,

stick to the topic, kung hindi imomoderate kita:rofl:

Allegra
08-16-2009, 08:25
yan din ang experience ko, didn't feel the diff..

stanship,

stick to the topic, kung hindi imomoderate kita:rofl:

may sampung taon na pala since I shot std
Di ko matandaan yung diff sa recoil pero how about yung talbog ng sights?

bulm540
08-16-2009, 08:41
Tried 165 in a 5 in gun did not like it. alot of people here use 165 in their 6 in guns and love it.

9MX
08-16-2009, 10:05

yun nga e, parang walang diff imho

bul,

bihira dito sa pinas ang 6 in blasters, i have yet to see one

productionguy
08-16-2009, 11:03
ako dati 200,two months ago nagpalit na ako ng 180,n320 4.8 1.150 oal.mas ok para sa akin

ahtsay
08-16-2009, 22:34

I wouldn't know, nakapikit ako eh :dunno:
:supergrin: Pag mas mabilis ba yung bala, may advantage ba sa running man? Chaka sa bakal? Kasi mas mabilis mong maririnig yung "ting!" pag tumama?

jasonub
08-16-2009, 23:10
if your waiting for the "ting" your already wasting time.

once you see the sight lift from the steel target, time to leave that target(it should fall after being hit if your shooting major). Wating for the ting is too slow

stanship
08-17-2009, 00:59

once you see the sight lift from the steel target, time to leave that target(it should fall after being hit if your shooting major). Wating for the ting is too slow

great comment jasonub, parang nasa brian enos forum tuloy ako sa mga info na galing sayo.

ahtsay
08-17-2009, 02:03

I heard that from Infinity before, however I think it might be safer to wait for the "ting". Case in point: during a short course last sunday at Mt. Clark. The stage calls for shooting a big popper that activates 2 swingers. After engaging the popper I was waiting for the swinger to pop out.....I waited a bit before realizing I've missed the popper :upeyes: Pero tama yun, shots should be called. Pero I've been having problems with follow-through kaya medyo nasisira diskarte ko:supergrin:

So same question, would I hear the "ting" faster with 180gr heads vs 200gr heads?

stanship
08-17-2009, 02:24
I heard that from Infinity before, however I think it might be safer to wait for the "ting". Case in point: during a short course last sunday at Mt. Clark. The stage calls for shooting a big popper that activates 2 swingers. After engaging the popper I was waiting for the swinger to pop out.....I waited a bit before realizing I've missed the popper :upeyes: Pero tama yun, shots should be called. Pero I've been having problems with follow-through kaya medyo nasisira diskarte ko:supergrin:

So same question, would I hear the "ting" faster with 180gr heads vs 200gr heads?

if we are talking the same PF for the 180 gr & 200 gr, for sure the 180 gr head travels at a faster velocity than the 200gr, then i would say that "yes" you would hear the "ting" faster for the 180 gr (millisecond lang since very short distance) given the same atmospheric condition when the shots were fired.

stanship
08-17-2009, 02:32
:supergrin: Pag mas mabilis ba yung bala, may advantage ba sa running man? Chaka sa bakal? Kasi mas mabilis mong maririnig yung "ting!" pag tumama?

on another note, okay you heard the "ting" then left the popper to go to the next shooting position, eh tumama pala sa ibaba at hindi bumagsak - eh di miss ka.

worse is if the popper is an activator for targets you would only see at another shooting position, kapag ganun kailangan mong balikan yun popper and you lose more time...

Allegra
08-17-2009, 04:47

as far as I remember, wala advantage jan sa moving targets or the sound of hit sa metal
talgang sa preferance lang sa recoil impulse ng baril ang deciding factor

re; bakal problem
We had a newbie w/ us sa masile last weekend
walang re-engage sa bakal, ang galing
i told him , typical evolution ng shooter , as soon as matuto ka rumatrat, magsasasala ka na sa bakal , like everyone else hehe
Last weekend, di ko rin alam bakit di nko tamaan yung bakal :)
@#$%^ back to basics ( 25m paper targets )
Sight pic ->sight alignment->trigger control->bang->followthru ; balik sa beginner hehe

jasonub
08-17-2009, 05:01
Forget the Ting!

Shoot the steel target like its a paper target. You know that you hit it since you saw the sights lift off it.

I never did practice on simulated steel targets buy i saw lyndon do this awhile back. he set up paper plates which are white and shoot them once in a run.

then he tapes them with white or tan tape i forget. It teaches you to call your shots without waiting for the ting.

at :26 check the steel target and the transition on this video. When i shot the steel i was already moving to the next target and shooting the first shot as the steel hits the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8QgcgL4y7g

here is another one, its more obvious on this video since the 15 or so meter poppers are not done falling and i am shooting at other targets. Ignore the flying newspaper and the backround shooters who were commenting on the flying newspaper :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPcQlwx_7Dk

same with this one. Left the popper already and shooting the static plate before the popper fell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPn3xWJQaOA

last ignore the unsafe rolling wooden fault lines. sa last port clearly i was finished shooting the last target as the steel plate that i shot before it fell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7tzfesCLDs

so its just practice. if your not used to steel shoot steel exclusively at practice. double plug so you wont hear the ting. or shoot paper plates which will have no ting.

The point is you know you hit the target already. why wait for it to fall or ting?

If you shoot a popper at the base then you know that you completely did not see the shot or saw it aimed at the base, so shoot it again till you see the right sight picture and leave that target since you already hit it.

Shoot steel like you will shoot paper targets.

stanship
08-17-2009, 07:02
yup, forget the TING....

i like this video better, puro ting pa din nadinig ko.
hindi natutumba yun mga bakal kaya hindi mo kailangang hintayin pa :supergrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Kr3dAyVdY&feature=related

stanship
08-17-2009, 07:16
pero teka, jason you mean to say you never missed a popper, round plate, square plate?
pano kung wala kang narinig na ting, iiwanan mo pa din ba?

pero alam ko na ang isasagot mo... since you "did not call the shot", you'll shoot the plate again with correct sight picture. tama ba? and of course you do not mind the ting or the sound coming from the metal, right?

jasonub
08-17-2009, 09:06
you know you missed if you did not see the sights lift on the steel target. if you did not see it lift, shoot again till you do see your sight lift of the target.

I cant explain it but after shooting some, you know you missed a steel or paper target and you need to shoot it again.

As I said, i double plug so i dont hear any ting or any sound for that matter. sometimes i dont hear the timer go off. :)

mc_oliver
08-17-2009, 12:06
Mey magandang exercise si Travis sa shot calling.

Cover a target with something that will prevent you from seeing the holes. Sa shooting position mo, meron kang pen and paper naka-outline yung target divided into 4 or more quadrants. Shoot the target and mark the paper according to the feedback you saw from your sights/dot. Your mark on paper should closely match that of the shots on target.

Tried this once or twice, years ago. Kakababa ng self-esteem :supergrin: kaya I stopped kasi pampabigat lang yung dala kong ballpen at papel! :rofl:

stanship
08-17-2009, 16:48
you know you missed if you did not see the sights lift on the steel target. if you did not see it lift, shoot again till you do see your sight lift of the target.

I cant explain it but after shooting some, you know you missed a steel or paper target and you need to shoot it again.

As I said, i double plug so i dont hear any ting or any sound for that matter. sometimes i dont hear the timer go off. :)

i know what you mean; good sight picture on the target, you saw the front sight lift as the gun went bang (which means you did not blink), therefore called your shot, and you knew you did not miss even before the bullet hit the target.

Allegra
08-17-2009, 17:16

that's why good shooters can re-engage targets a split second after a missed shot, kung bakal man o papel

Maganda ang sinabi ni Enos dun sa libro nya
If you think about it, missed shots are a result of not seeing anything
Kasi , if you were paying attention to your what you need to see, at nakita mong sumala ka , you would have re-engaged

Allegra
08-17-2009, 17:23
Mey magandang exercise si Travis sa shot calling.

Cover a target with something that will prevent you from seeing the holes. Sa shooting position mo, meron kang pen and paper naka-outline yung target divided into 4 or more quadrants. Shoot the target and mark the paper according to the feedback you saw from your sights/dot. Your mark on paper should closely match that of the shots on target.

Tried this once or twice, years ago. Kakababa ng self-esteem :supergrin: kaya I stopped kasi pampabigat lang yung dala kong ballpen at papel! :rofl:

Sakin , I prefer long distance bill drills
You will be forced to pay attention sa sights when shooting fast sa long distances

ahtsay
08-17-2009, 22:51
that's why good shooters can re-engage targets a split second after a missed shot, kung bakal man o papel

Maganda ang sinabi ni Enos dun sa libro nya
If you think about it, missed shots are a result of not seeing anything
Kasi , if you were paying attention to your what you need to see, at nakita mong sumala ka , you would have re-engaged

Minsan in-denial ako eh....alam kong nagkasala ako pero I was hoping patawarin ako kaagad ni God. :supergrin: Minsan naman pag hinde in-denial, paranoia naman....tatlo tatlo butas sa papel:upeyes: Ano bang kailangang gawin para gumaling ng konti?????

ans3288
08-17-2009, 23:50
a seeded shooter told me that 95% of top shooters fire a lot of live rounds to increase skill, so i guess yun ang dapat gawin to get better?

and i noticed that the more bz you are with business the less skilled you get with shooting? true kaya eto sa lahat ng tao? :whistling:

Minsan in-denial ako eh....alam kong nagkasala ako pero I was hoping patawarin ako kaagad ni God. :supergrin: Minsan naman pag hinde in-denial, paranoia naman....tatlo tatlo butas sa papel:upeyes: Ano bang kailangang gawin para gumaling ng konti?????

dbiggershot
08-18-2009, 02:42
the question is why we really choose heads?.. perhaps to compensate with the required PF for IPSC, diba?.. for me i tried both, 210gr and 180gr FCC.. the difference, mas malakas sipa ng 180, kasi you need to put more powder in order to meet the desired minimum PF, otherwise minor labas mo. So far i prefer 210gr FCC (stronghand) + 4.9gr N340, it gives me 180 to 184PF, at napakagaan gamitin, di bugbog sa sipa ang slide, at kahit di mo pa alam yung COF kung may weak or strong hand, confident ka na di ka kabahan, kasi kakayanin ng kahit ano kung ganun lang load mo..

sabi nila magkakaiba or magkaroon ng difference kung gamitin sa malalayong target or may swinger, so far i tried doing it, at 30yards di naman nagbabago yung load ko, so far wala naman siguro madalas may mahigit sa 30yards na COF set up diba?.. so till now i stick with my load:supergrin::supergrin:

but pls. dont ask if i made to the top by using this mixture,hehe! it does not have to do with my performance, ok!:whistling:

Allegra
08-18-2009, 06:38
I'm cheap so I use whatever is cheap... :rofl:

Seriously, theory says that you use lesser lead on moving targets if your bullet is travelling faster, case of the 185gr. Gun also feels 'faster', snap vs push.

In practical terms, doesn't really matter since we're doing a whole lot of other stuff that prevents us from shooting fast A's. In m case, my gun doesn't like 200gr heads and refuses to feed. So 185 gamit ko.

Theoretically i agree :)
Parang natatandaan ko nun , nung pinagaralan namin yan
Datapwat, The diff in velocity ng bala at ng slide velocity is too small
Kasi kung malaki , e di dapat mas mabilis ang splits mo sa 180gr
Natesting nanamin , same same lang splits ng both , pareho din kaya pagdikitin ang tama
Conclusion namin, preference lang ng recoil impulse ang deciding factor
Of course , we could be wrong din hehe

9MX,
I'm assuming you shoot different divisions sa competition
Try shooting std w/ 180gr for sveral months
Then switch to 200gr
I bet you will notice the difference between weights

Allegra
08-18-2009, 07:07
a seeded shooter told me that 95% of top shooters fire a lot of live rounds to increase skill, so i guess yun ang dapat gawin to get better?

and i noticed that the more bz you are with business the less skilled you get with shooting? true kaya eto sa lahat ng tao? :whistling:

Di naman
Dryfire and shoot level 1s every week , pwede ka na mag RP team ..... kahit beginner
Nga lang dapat mabilis ka tumakbo at saksakan laki ng bilib mo sa sarili mo heehee

stanship
08-18-2009, 07:22
Di naman
Dryfire and shoot level 1s every week , pwede ka na mag RP team ..... kahit beginner
Nga lang dapat mabilis ka tumakbo at saksakan laki ng bilib mo sa sarili mo heehee

"noon yun, hindi na ngayon.... "

bulilit 2x sanay sa masikip,
kung kumilos ang liit 2x

allegra, kelan ka huling pumutok ng level 1? hindi na kita nakikita ah.
kasi siguro hindi na rin ako madalas pumutok at bumabalik-balik pa lang ng dahan-dahan.

regards kay apol! :)

Allegra
08-18-2009, 07:40
"noon yun, hindi na ngayon.... "

bulilit 2x sanay sa masikip,
kung kumilos ang liit 2x

allegra, kelan ka huling pumutok ng level 1? hindi na kita nakikita ah.
kasi siguro hindi na rin ako madalas pumutok at bumabalik-balik pa lang ng dahan-dahan.

regards kay apol! :)

Nekow, I bet I can train a motivated , athletic teenager at mag 90% siya sa level 3s in 6mo after nya una makahawak ng baril.......oh wait....I just did :)

3x a year lang quota ko nang putok :) my 2nd match for the year yung last weekend.

Wait for my UFC debut heehee

stanship
08-18-2009, 08:10
Nekow, I bet I can train a motivated , athletic teenager at mag 90% siya sa level 3s in 6mo after nya una makahawak ng baril.......oh wait....I just did :)

3x a year lang quota ko nang putok :) my 2nd match for the year yung last weekend.

talaga? you mean to say yung na-train mo ay RP team na? sino sya? in what division?

stanship
08-18-2009, 08:12

... and ikaw ang nag-champ, right? :)

Allegra
08-18-2009, 08:24
talaga? you mean to say yung na-train mo ay RP team na? sino sya? in what division?

Ewan kung nag rp team na sya
Hindi baril pinaguusapan namin pagnagkikita kami hehe

As for last weekends shoot, I think 15th place ako
Pinagbigyan ko lang yung nag champ :)

stanship
08-18-2009, 08:28
Ewan kung nag rp team na sya
Hindi baril pinaguusapan namin pagnagkikita kami hehe

As for last weekends shoot, I think 15th place ako
Pinagbigyan ko lang yung nag champ :)

alright! :rofl:

Allegra
08-18-2009, 08:40
alright! :rofl:

yung nanalo sa prod na team armscor , bata pa....pinagbigyan ko lang yun

Allegra
08-18-2009, 09:31

I wonder if I could train an old , non-athletic but motivated Band of Glocker ? :)
I tried this sa gunclub namin ..... and I wanted to shoot myself

i_am_infinity
08-18-2009, 09:50
I wonder if I could train an old , non-athletic but motivated Band of Glocker ? :)

i have all the motivation and at the same time i'm 230lbs...is that non athletic enough for you???? :wavey:

Allegra
08-18-2009, 10:01
i have all the motivation and at the same time i'm 230lbs...is that non athletic enough for you???? :wavey:

Sked nyo isang araw na training , basta weekday :)
Free lang
By the time we're finished, 200lbs ka nalang :)

i_am_infinity
08-18-2009, 10:05
Free lang

Great!!!! I'll bring the food!!! :supergrin:

ahtsay
08-18-2009, 21:10
Free lang

:supergrin: Sama ako! Infinity, talo ka, 240lbs ako tapos 5'6" pag nakasapatos pa yun :tongueout:
Allegra if you can make me lose 40lbs, magpapa misa ako for you:supergrin:

mc_oliver
08-19-2009, 01:25
Ako rin master A game dyan! Kelangan ko ng tulong...

Allegra
08-19-2009, 07:54
Sked nyo weekday wagpala mon atfri at coding, maximum ng 5 tao :)

saki1611
08-19-2009, 08:03
fafa, sama ako dyan! am also weighing 230lbs and i want to learn!

stanship
08-19-2009, 08:08
most probably ang venue sa may bandang laguna yan :)

i_am_infinity
08-19-2009, 09:44
most probably ang venue sa may bandang laguna yan :)
Laguna??? Sure!!! ahtsay, sabay ako sayo ah .ehehehehe :supergrin:

Allegra
08-19-2009, 09:45
go go mga friends

i_am_infinity
08-19-2009, 09:48
Teka ayusin ko muna PTT ko....pwd ba mga sept??? :)

mc_oliver
08-20-2009, 07:09
Okay informally tested the heavy vs light heads today. Sa regular accuracy splits (~.25 above) konti ang difference. But once you start ripping the splits, there's a definite torquing resistance sa heavy heads, mahirap ibalik ng mabilis, kasi mey pause sa rear stroke. Load is ~175PF, sub 12# spring using AP100 powder.

But maderf@k3r! Nabiyak hammer ko!. :(

9MX
08-20-2009, 07:10
But maderf@k3r! Nabiyak hammer ko!. :(

:rofl: - my exact reaction after reading your post

Eye Cutter
08-20-2009, 10:55
nag cheap ba hammer mo mco??? hahahaha!

mc_oliver
08-20-2009, 15:22
STI yan nung Std ko dati. Buti na lang parating na warp speed ko. :supergirn:

JuDGe
08-20-2009, 16:24
But once you start ripping the splits, there's a definite torquing resistance sa heavy heads, mahirap ibalik ng mabilis, kasi mey pause sa rear stroke. Load is ~175PF, sub 12# spring using AP100 powder.

may diff kaya if you used a faster powder like AS50? AP100 i believe has the same burn rate of 3n37 while AS50 is equivalent to N320

9MX
08-20-2009, 17:51
nag cheap ba hammer mo mco??? hahahaha!

:rofl::rofl:

mtho
08-26-2009, 04:07
STI yan nung Std ko dati. Buti na lang parating na warp speed ko. :supergirn:

ganito ba yung warp speed?:tongueout:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/mtho_6275/DSC_0062-1.jpg

GMV
08-26-2009, 06:37
Pssst, mark the spark, magkano yung ganyang warp speed hammer set? :)

mtho
08-26-2009, 07:33
GMV,
cylinder and slide ito eh, a bit more expensive than ee, it came with 3 certificates for the rockwell hardness of the hammer sear and disconnector.

mc_oliver
08-26-2009, 14:38
ganito ba yung warp speed?:tongueout:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/mtho_6275/DSC_0062-1.jpg

Oh yeah! :) Dapat matibay na to at di na ma-cheap uli. :rofl:

jasonub
08-26-2009, 19:03
too hard and it will cheap again since its brittle.

mtho
08-26-2009, 19:54
mco,
try emailing sti, they might replace your hammer. they gave ahtsay a new ambi

mc_oliver
08-27-2009, 05:28
mco,
Talaga? Sige will do. Thanks pre.

9MX
08-27-2009, 06:19
mco,

but they won't when they found out you installed it on a cheap frame:rofl:

Allegra
09-09-2009, 03:35
Guys, pasensya na mejo busy di ako maka luwas
But kung magawi kayo bandang Laguna, you guys can join our practice( their practice pala at naka upo lang ako hehe)
I'm training a few good persons
Welcome to join ang bogs op cors
Di pa nga lang fixed ang sked
BTW, its free , dala madami salompas :)

i_am_infinity
09-09-2009, 09:31
fafa A...ok lang ba kung yun lesson natin sa nov pako? makakpag hintay ka ba? dadalhan na lang kita ng chicha... :)

9MX
09-09-2009, 09:35
fafa A...ok lang ba kung yun lesson natin sa nov pako? makakpag hintay ka ba? dadalhan na lang kita ng chicha... :)

chicha? kahit sa 2011, magaantay si fafa A:rofl:

i_am_infinity
09-09-2009, 09:42

:rofl: hahaha

Allegra
09-09-2009, 16:28

No problem fafa, bsta ready na comelec exemption mo at gunban na yata nyan :)

Allegra
09-09-2009, 16:37

What's a chicha? yan ba yung nakaka high blood? :faint:
Sorry ha, cant relate sa topic :)