my modified Glock 20; Lone wolf parts and barrel advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : my modified Glock 20; Lone wolf parts and barrel advice

jlmomaha
08-18-2009, 20:07
Hello,
I own a Glock 20, I decided to do some mods on it, and found some problems that I wish to share, as well as some good..

first; extended slide release works great!!! get it

second; the lone wolf mag release that is oval and a one piece stay away I gunsmith and have an array of tools and was unable to install it, if you want one of the extended ones get the one that you screw the oval on...

third; the 2 round mag extension get it!!!

fourth; the extended slide lock lever makes taking the slide off super nice...get it!!

fifth; the 3.5 pound connector.... get it

sixth; competition spring kit along with the 3.5 lb connector makes it a nice crisp light pull WITH NO FAILURE TO FIRE FROM A LIGHT STRICKER SPRING I have shoot many hundred rounds so the people that complain about this happening I think theres something else to blame....

seventh; stainless steel guide rod with the 22pound recoil spring makes recoil a non issue.... get it!!!!

eighth; the 6 inch barrel IT LOOKS AWSOME but... it jams constantly upon examination i found the problem the chamber mouth is sharp the edge is not broken and it digs into the brass case and holds it, simple enough solution get an arkansas stone and smoth it out, simple fix at least I hope I will be emailing luke over at lonewolf and asking him about what to do I do not want to void my warrenty, so I will post what actions are taken..

Lastley go to the lonewolf website and check out the laser engraving it is awsome and priced very reasonable also they have alot of nice mods to personalize your weapon, talk to Luke he has been very kind to me and very quick to get back to me...

Best of luck to you all and I am always happy to help with load advice and any other questions....

Jerry Meckna
Meckna Hunting Supply

why
08-24-2009, 07:15
Really trying to not sound like a dick here but its a pet peeve of mine.
It is not a Slide RELEASE Lever, its a Slide STOP Lever. It was bever intended to be used as a slide release.

_The_Shadow
08-24-2009, 10:01
It is not a Slide RELEASE Lever, its a Slide STOP Lever. It was bever intended to be used as a slide release.

Agreed! Pull back on the slide and let it pick up the round, instead of fooling around with the small lever. This also keeps the weapon out in front at the ready position.

c5367
08-24-2009, 11:54

Says who?

BOB_HOWARD_13
08-26-2009, 10:28
^ +1 Slide release is a basic component of a combat pistol. aside from inserting mag it is one hand operation, Simple.

MSgt Dotson
08-26-2009, 20:18
Hello,
I seventh; stainless steel guide rod with the 22pound recoil spring makes recoil a non issue.... get it!!!!

The guys who shoot for their livelyhood competitively find that a lighter recoil spring causes less recoil to be transmitted to the shooter, however counter-intuitive that might seem intially...

c5367
08-26-2009, 20:27
The guys who shoot for their livelyhood competitively find that a lighter recoil spring causes less recoil to be transmitted to the shooter, however counter-intuitive that might seem intially...

depends on the load. Competitive shooters use mousefart loads so a lighter spring would do that.
It's not unlike choosing a springrate for car/motorcycle suspension: So soft that it bottoms (frame battering) equals a harsh ride (more perceived recoil) , too stiff and it gives a harsh ride since it doesn't compress enough to soak up the energy. The softest spring that doesn't "bottom" with your intended load will give the least perceived recoil.

MinervaDoe
08-27-2009, 22:55
Says who?
Says pretty much anybody who actually knows Glock firearms.
It is a slide stop. As mentioned above, Glocks are designed to have their slide pulled all the way back and released when loading the first round.

c5367
08-27-2009, 23:17
Says pretty much anybody who actually knows Glock firearms.
It is a slide stop. As mentioned above, Glocks are designed to have their slide pulled all the way back and released when loading the first round.

The engineers and technical writers didn't get that memo.

Glock Owner's Manual
4. After the last round has been fired, the slide remains open. Remove the empty magazine from
the weapon by pushing the magazine catch (19). Insert a new magazine and then either push
the slide stop lever (27) downwards (see photo), or pull the slide slightly backwards and allow it
to spring forwards. The weapon is now again secured and ready to fire.

Sig 226 Manual

Loading the Pistol
2. Push down the slide catch lever with your thumb,
Reloading while shooting
When the magazine is empty, the slide catch lever holds the slide open. Press the magazine catch to remove the empty magazine and insert a loaded one. Push down the slide catch lever with the thumb of the shooting hand...

HK USP manual
Slide Release
This lever is located on the left side to the frame directly above the trigger. This lever is used to lock the slide open, to release the slide, and to disassemble the pistol.

MCRP 3-01B
Slide Stop
The slide stop holds the slide to the rear after the
last round is fired. It can also be manually operated
to lock the slide to the rear or release the slide
...Roll both hands inward to establish a twohanded
grip and press the slide release with the
left thumb to allow the slide to move forward,
chambering the first round, and present the pistol
to the target. See figure 2-17.
Note: A left-handed Marine presses the slide
release with his trigger finger.

But those guys are probably all idiots that know nothing about those firearms. You should send them an email and tell them what those respective pistols were designed to do.

TACO
09-12-2009, 15:10
Hello,
...second; the lone wolf mag release that is oval and a one piece stay away I gunsmith and have an array of tools and was unable to install it, if you want one of the extended ones get the one that you screw the oval on...
Jerry Meckna
Meckna Hunting Supply

Do you have the required Lone Wolf tool, a punch and mandrel set, that is needed to cut the required hole in the grip?

MSgt Dotson
09-13-2009, 08:56
Hello,
I own a Glock 20, I decided to do some mods on it, and found some problems that I wish to share, as well as some good..

first; extended slide release works great!!! get it

Arrendondo Accessories makes Plus 5 magspring/mag extension kits for the Glock 20/21 mags....(they are a +4 when used with my Glock 21 mags...) The longer basepad/extension is designed to fall within Limited 140mm mag length limits, and they have always been flawless for me. Only thing better than 15+1 rounds of 10mm is.....20+1! (Fully loaded, they do require a healthy 'whack' when seating them with the slide forward, so i usually download them by one round for this reason, especialy after suffering the embarasment of having a mag drop on the ground at the next shot...)

MakeMineA10mm
09-13-2009, 12:54
Says who?

Says who? Says GLOCK. They call this part a "SLIDE STOP LEVER" just as user why said above, and if you attend the armorer's and/or instructor's course put on by Glock you would learn that they call it this very specifically, because they do not want it used as a slide release. The part was engineered to hold the slide open, not to be used to close the slide once it was locked back. The Glock-employee instructors have taught this at every GSSF match and Armorer's certification training I've been to (3 of the latter over the last 8 years).

The engineers and technical writers didn't get that memo.

But those guys are probably all idiots that know nothing about those firearms. You should send them an email and tell them what those respective pistols were designed to do.

Interestingly, when user why pointed out your error above, he was coming with technically correct info, and prefacing his correction with politely saying how he meant it to be taken (politely).

You, on the other hand, who are technically wrong, sarcastically attempt to point out information that you think backs your position, but in three out of your four examples (that you quoted and posted) the "engineers" use terminology that verifies you are wrong and why was right.

Glock Owner's Manual = Slide Stop Lever

Sig 226 Manual = Slide Catch Lever

MCRP 3-01B = Slide Stop

All three of those use terminology that the primary purpose is to hold the slide open, not to release it. They (except Glock) then go on to state that the same lever CAN be used to release the slide or do not discern any difference between the functions of holding it open and releasing it to load, while using a discriptive name that implies it's for holding the slide open.

Regardless, we're talking about a G-20 here, and Glock DEFINITELY does not like it being used as a slide release mechanism, and why was technically correct above.

In addition, if you get any higher-level defensive pistol training, you will be taught that fine motor skills during a gunfight are a bad idea, which is why they train police, military, and civilians who attend, to use their off-hand over the top of the slide to pull-back and release for a reload.

It is well-documented here (and will be on your own pistol eventually if you continue to use that lever as a slide release) that because that lever on a Glock is not designed as a release but as a stop that a small chip will come off of the slide at the rear of the slide stop notch. I have a couple Glocks myself that have this because prior users or myself was not aware of this earlier in those Glock's lives...

c5367
09-13-2009, 13:49
Says who? Says GLOCK. They call this part a "SLIDE STOP LEVER" just as user why said above, and if you attend the armorer's and/or instructor's course put on by Glock you would learn that they call it this very specifically, because they do not want it used as a slide release. The part was engineered to hold the slide open, not to be used to close the slide once it was locked back. The Glock-employee instructors have taught this at every GSSF match and Armorer's certification training I've been to (3 of the latter over the last 8 years).

Interestingly, when user why pointed out your error above, he was coming with technically correct info, and prefacing his correction with politely saying how he meant it to be taken (politely).

You, on the other hand, who are technically wrong, sarcastically attempt to point out information that you think backs your position, but in three out of your four examples (that you quoted and posted) the "engineers" use terminology that verifies you are wrong and why was right.

All three of those use terminology that the primary purpose is to hold the slide open, not to release it. They (except Glock) then go on to state that the same lever CAN be used to release the slide or do not discern any difference between the functions of holding it open and releasing it to load, while using a discriptive name that implies it's for holding the slide open.

Regardless, we're talking about a G-20 here, and Glock DEFINITELY does not like it being used as a slide release mechanism, and why was technically correct above.

In addition, if you get any higher-level defensive pistol training, you will be taught that fine motor skills during a gunfight are a bad idea, which is why they train police, military, and civilians who attend, to use their off-hand over the top of the slide to pull-back and release for a reload.

It is well-documented here (and will be on your own pistol eventually if you continue to use that lever as a slide release) that because that lever on a Glock is not designed as a release but as a stop that a small chip will come off of the slide at the rear of the slide stop notch. I have a couple Glocks myself that have this because prior users or myself was not aware of this earlier in those Glock's lives...

:upeyes:

4. After the last round has been fired, the slide remains open. Remove the empty magazine from
the weapon by pushing the magazine catch (19). Insert a new magazine and then either push
the slide stop lever (27) downwards

For not being intended to do it, and Glock not wanting you to use it like that and not being engineered to do that and bla bla bla, the manual says otherwise. Read it, it's pretty interesting stuff. People repeating internet hearsay doesn't count as "well documented." It's right there, in black and white.
Do you have any REAL documentation? or just more internet hearsay?

You can try and hang your hat on the terminology used, but it doesn't change the fact that in each and every one of those manuals, they specifically state that the lever can be used to release the slide. That is what is intended to do. Every single one. The engineers intended it that way, that's why the manuals they wrote say you can use it that way.

Use the lever whichever way you feel comfortable, but there's no need to rationalize your choice with blatant lies about "what the engineers intended it to do." As the documentation shows, they intended to act as a slide stop/release. They chose VERY SPECIFICALLY to include that language because that's exactly what they intended it do, nomenclature notwithstanding. Potato-potahto, they bake just the same. :) Call it a magazine catch or a magazine release, it doesn't change the fact that it's designed to do both. Secures a mag when inserted, releases mag when pressed. Same goes for the slide stop/release lever. By your logic, since Glock calls it a "mag catch," and not a "mag release," we should just rip it out (again, despite specific instructions to the contrary)

So let's recap: the manual specifically states it can be used as slide release. No where does it say that it cannot be used to release the slide.

Further, I do have a little higher level training. 8152 USMC, thank you. Guess what? They teach you to use the slide release just like above USMC manual says. ;)

jlmomaha
01-21-2010, 20:45
OMG I stirred the pot there didnt I, lol.. c mon guys were here for our love of this weapon not to bicker amungst our selves.
Although, it is reffered to as a slide release by all the manufacturers I have ever seen here are some references for your consideration...

SLIDE RELEASE: GLOCK Extended Slide Release
http://cracklecdn-zoovy-1.simplecdn.net/img/ghostinc/W180-H74-Bf0f0f0/glk_extended_slide_rls22.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:zoom('http://static.zoovy.com/img/ghostinc/-/glk_extended_slide_rls22'))This is the best selling Glock accessory and the one of most essential. Fits Models: 18/19/20/21/22/23/24/25/26/27/28/29/30/31/32/33/34/35/37 & 17 with three frame pins. This is a Glock OEM extended slide stop. It fits all 3 pin guns (the 3 pins are; trigger pin, locking block pin & trigger housing pin) except M/36,37,38,39. Also fits early G-19's with two pins. May be marked 2912,2912-2, or 2912-3. Does not fit early 17,17L,34 2 pin guns.
TopGlock.com (http://www.topglock.com/) : Parts : Glock : Glock Extended Slide Release, Fits All 2-Pin Models EXC

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/the-glock-extended-slide-release/23447423

"Here is a post validating both calling it a stop and a release, and where the whole dont use it to chamber a round MYTH came from the whole article is at http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/bowie_101204/ "

Another controversial topic is the use of the slide-stop lever as a slide release. This is only controversial because a number of instructors have decided that releasing the locked slide with the shooting hand or support-hand thumb constitutes the use of fine motor skills, which deteriorate during a high-stress event. While I admit this is true, these same instructors seem to have no problem using the tip of the thumb to release the magazine, the tip of the finger to press the trigger or the tips of the fingers to guide the magazine into the magazine well. Nope, I don't buy it, so I continue to use the slide-stop lever as a slide release.

and go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock_pistols where they have compounded the name..lol

The slide stop release lever is located on the left side of the frame directly.... blah blah blah..lol

Real quick let me address some of your posts..

SHADOW
"Agreed! Pull back on the slide and let it pick up the round, instead of fooling around with the small lever. This also keeps the weapon out in front at the ready position."
with the extended "apparatus" it is easy to use and the gun stays in the ready position, and cuts down on the time that there is only one hand on the weapon, drop mag slap in a new one and use gripping hand thumb to pop that "apparatus" soon as the mag is in, way easy super quick.

MSGT DOTSON
"The guys who shoot for their livelyhood competitively find that a lighter recoil spring causes less recoil to be transmitted to the shooter, however counter-intuitive that might seem intially..."
what you are talking about is the slam forward from the spring, but when using hot loads "real 10mm loads..lol" a heavy spring is a necessity, or you can have a real problem, although some argue that the heavy spring can cause damage, Ive never seen it, but have seen the damage from lack of a heavy spring.

TACO
"Do you have the required Lone Wolf tool, a punch and mandrel set, that is needed to cut the required hole in the grip? "
yeah I didnt get that memo..lol.. and being a machinist turned gunsmith, and me having a dealers account with them and with them knowing I am a gunsmith I wonder why my rep didnt mention that? and although I do see that they did add that tool to thier line up, they had no such object, or at least wasnt something that I saw, which is highly unlikely. but it seems like a nice tool..

C5367 semper fi brother, your a security force man.. fun fun.. 0321's wouldnt know anything about combat or danger..lmao

I feel good about this post since I used actual article references used by manufacturers of this device, to validate my calling it by the name I choose to, and I even shed some light on how this whole dont use the slide "apparatus" got started, it is funny how it has spread through out parts of the glocking community..

so there we have it now lets all get along please, also I started a new thread about that LWD barrel, if interested you can go check it out..
Thanks every one, and God bless you

Taterhead
01-23-2010, 13:37
FWIW, I make it a habit to release the slide by pulling back on on the slide rather than pressing the slide catch. Two reasons:

In IDPA matches, no matter how often I practice, I still had at least one or two "fumbly" mag changes when using the slide catch method. That costs time. I am not "clean" all of the time with that method and it got me thinking seriously about a real-world SD situation. The location of the lever is a bit of a weird reach for me so I think that is part of the reason that I have not found had positive results. I have had better results by just pulling the slide.

Secondly, with a 22# spring, the slide catch lever is really tough to depress on my G20 (I use the factory 17# for IDPA). I am almost forced to pull the slide if I want to ensure positive and clean action.

jlmomaha
01-23-2010, 18:18
tater you have a good point, but with the one I have I donot really have a problem poping it, but it does take some force, and for what its worth I appreciate your giving me advice both here and on my other questions, I greatly respect your opinion..

PBRLite
01-23-2010, 22:42

SimonovsDog
01-30-2010, 19:40
I bought a Std length Bar-Sto barrel, and a 6in LW barrel for my M20. Both dropped in with no problem. Both function great. The Bar-Sto is wicked accurate.

leadslinger13
01-31-2010, 08:54
I can speak from experience regarding the slide stop lever. back in the late eighties i tried a glock 21 and 30 for a while. I installed the extended slide stop lever. It did smooth the contact point on the slide stop lever. So much so that it would no longer work and i would have to take a file to it to get it to function.

since coming back to glock i use my off hand to release the slide. I no longer have to worry about the slide and i insure that the round is properly seated.

Yes, the other thing that may happen is the round my not fully seat using the slide stop lever. Using the off hand to release the slide insures full retraction of the slide and proper seating the round. This is accomplished if the user doesn't ride the slide forward with the off hand. Pull back and release.

I would rather not have to worry about any slide or round seating issues at an important moment.

JMHO

why
01-31-2010, 14:40
Says who?

Glock.

jlmomaha
01-31-2010, 15:02
Leadslinger, the "stop" smothed out the contact area on a glock slide?.. Was it an after market or am I miss understanding you, being a machinist and knowing that the glock slide is made from treated tool steel, and that the slide "stop" would be a SS, CM, or heat treated steel, I cant possible see anyway under any circumstance short of using a grinding compound on the "stop" that it could ever possible round the "contact" edge on the slide?? the slide would first round the "stop" I mean there would be a several point hardness difference between the 2?..
I am just a little confused, and am sure I probably miss understood what was said being I am half asleep..lol

leadslinger13
02-01-2010, 07:19
Leadslinger, the "stop" smothed out the contact area on a glock slide?.. Was it an after market or am I miss understanding you, being a machinist and knowing that the glock slide is made from treated tool steel, and that the slide "stop" would be a SS, CM, or heat treated steel, I cant possible see anyway under any circumstance short of using a grinding compound on the "stop" that it could ever possible round the "contact" edge on the slide?? the slide would first round the "stop" I mean there would be a several point hardness difference between the 2?..
I am just a little confused, and am sure I probably miss understood what was said being I am half asleep..lol

My bad..... I corrected previous post. Thanks for pointing it out. i meant the stop needed to be filed. At any rate it doesn't like a necessary risk to have something malfunction at the worst time.