fleas ...! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : fleas ...!

wallyglock
08-19-2009, 18:35
any effective home remedies that will work on dog and cats also ?

tired of buying the spot on stuff and besides the cost , it is sometimes pretty effective and sometimes not so good .

thanks wally

magpie maniac
08-19-2009, 19:16
As you probably know, you can use limited amounts of boric acid around the house to limit infestation. Obviously, I'd consult a vet before applying any home remedies on a pet directly.

For my GSD, I've had great luck with Advantix. Yes, it does run about $10 per month, but that's a reasonable price to be flea and tick-free.

gary_boom
08-19-2009, 19:16
I think Front line is worth the money. I have 1 dog and 2 cats and it will usually last 2 months.

steve1911
08-20-2009, 01:09
[QUOTE=gary_boom;13612098]I think Front line is worth the money. I have 1 dog.

+1 i use it on my Lab, works great but spendie.

1911club#410

Deployment Solu
08-20-2009, 04:04
A little apple cider vinegar in their drinking water is also effective.(I believe 1 teaspoon per gallon)

obxemt
08-21-2009, 04:47
BioSpot cost us $12 for three months' worth at a local co-op (62-pound dog).

Platz
08-22-2009, 15:47
I use and like bio-spot. It's the only cheapie I have had success with. I was having problems previously getting the stuff (any spot on) to really distribute, and was ending up with dogs having the big greeseball for a week or two straight. Not acceptable. I found that if I wait like you're supposed to and not apply soon after a bath, the oils in their coats distribute the stuff properly. So now I bathe them and apply the treatment 5 - 7 days later.

Both frontline, frontline plus, and advantage have allowed my dogs to get fleas in the past. Go figure.

U-phorik407
08-26-2009, 06:44
We use a boric acid like substance called '20 mule team Borax' u can find it in the detergent aisle at the supermarket (4 dollars for a big box) we take it and sprinkle it into the carpet and grind it in pretty good and then flea dip the cats, that seemed to have fixed the problem in the house. If you have cats, you may want to try a pill called CAPSTAR but I'd recommend the borax first, because if they are in the carpet and hop on the cat after you give him the CAPSTAR they will not die, only the fleas on him/her will die at the time the meds are given. we have 3 cats, al 3 had fleas, and 2 even picked up tapeworm, it's been a rough summer for them.:steamed: