thinking about sr-556 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : thinking about sr-556

NDC187
08-21-2009, 00:18
I really like the potential of this gun. I know some have had problems with the bolt. Hk built a piston rifle and it has been doing pretty well in tests. Seems like allot of happy ruger owners aswell.

Has anyone here gone over a 1,000 rounds at a range session yet with the sr? It comes with allot of nice goodies.

edit: by the time im in the market for a carbine, hoping the para ttr is will be out. Still thinking really hard about a fal, but I like the parts availability of the ar

rj1939
08-22-2009, 18:04
I think Ruger has a winner, I like them and have heard nothing but good about them.
Wonder if somebody is making them for Ruger though.
The piston system really cuts down on heat buildup.

FA5Si
08-22-2009, 18:06
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/tokarev/Ruger%20SR%20556/100_0265.jpg

Three-Five-Seven
08-22-2009, 18:28
All I asked for was a New Model Vaquero in 38-40 caliber. That's all.

NDC187
08-22-2009, 18:51

Is that yours? I would send it back.

Blitzer
08-22-2009, 18:55

OOPS! A major SNAFU! Someone needs to back off that butt stock tube a couple of turns and re-tighten the locking ring!!!

:wow:

Kegel
08-22-2009, 19:14
2 words: bolt tilt.

HAIL CAESAR
08-22-2009, 19:55
Actaully it is carrier tilt. But that is just semantics.

Unscrewing the receiver extension won't help.

Javelin
08-22-2009, 19:57

Is that really the new SR-556 ?? :wow:

FA5Si
08-22-2009, 20:41
Is that really the new SR-556 ?? :wow:

AFAIK, that belongs to an acquaintance of Gary Jeter (W.E.G.) from the FalFiles. He apparently got threatened with a ban by moderator "(the opposite of HOT)" from a certain popular AR-15 related forum for posting that, and soon afterward they started showing Ruger flash banners for the SR-556. :shakehead:

HAIL CAESAR
08-22-2009, 20:48
AFAIK, that belongs to an acquaintance of Gary Jeter (W.E.G.) from the FalFiles. He apparently got threatened with a ban by moderator "(the opposite of HOT)" from a certain popular AR-15 related forum for posting that, and soon afterward they started showing Ruger flash banners for the SR-556. :shakehead:

:upeyes:

Imagine that!

NDC187
08-22-2009, 23:35
yikes... does Ruger have good customer service?

Ruger built a rifle that - right out of the box, I like. They also offer pretty good accessories.

I wouldn't mind gambling on a piston setup. I prefer the ergonomics of an AR over the sig, so i'm not considering it.

I can't find many reviews that have shot the hell out of it though.

HAIL CAESAR
08-22-2009, 23:42
yikes... does Ruger have good customer service?

Ruger built a rifle that - right out of the box, I like. They also offer pretty good accessories.

I wouldn't mind gambling on a piston setup. I prefer the ergonomics of an AR over the sig, so i'm not considering it.

I can't find many reviews that have shot the hell out of it though.

I have thought Ruger has had one of the best customer service departments in the industry going back for decades. Maybe I was the luckiest man in the world and others had results different than mine.

Johnnyvegas
08-22-2009, 23:47
OOPS! A major SNAFU! Someone needs to back off that butt stock tube a couple of turns and re-tighten the locking ring!!!

So what are you going to do when the buffer retainer pops out?

CMG
08-23-2009, 01:56
I got mine a while back at a local shop.

It is solidly built, with the Troy Ind. back-up sights and quad rail (about 400-500 if added to a standard AR) which helps justify the asking price.

Mine has run flawlessly, no carrier tilt wear in the buffer tube, and will hold sub MOA 3-shot groups and just over MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

YMMV

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/RSR556.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/RSR556-1.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/RSR556-2.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/RSR556-3.jpg

Javelin
08-23-2009, 09:58

I don't belong to, nor have I ever belonged to that website. If I wanted to read advertisements for gun manufacturers I would just stick with the gun mags that come in the mail.

But in defense of Ruger, it appears that this issue with the bolt tilt riding back and causing abnormal (and quite frankly scary) wear seems to be a trend with the piston designs.

I am not a physicist nor a gunsmith but I think we can all agree that when force is applied only to the top of the face of the bolt that the opposite will be true on the backside which will cause wear. Until they fix it by completely adding something like an AK action I am not sure how they are going to combat it. In the meantime I will stick with my Noveske Switchblock gun and enjoy trouble-free shooting while they figure all that out.

:supergrin:

Javelin
08-23-2009, 10:00
I got mine a while back at a local shop.

It is solidly built, with the Troy Ind. back-up sights and quad rail (about 400-500 if added to a standard AR) which helps justify the asking price.

Mine has run flawlessly, no carrier tilt wear in the buffer tube, and will hold sub MOA 3-shot groups and just over MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

YMMV

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/RSR556.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/RSR556-1.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/RSR556-2.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/RSR556-3.jpg

It's a good looking firearm. Do us a favor and take some pics of the buffer tube and bolt assy after you throw a couple of cases or so down the barrel. I'm intersted to see.

:wavey:

CMG
08-23-2009, 21:03
I'm not that prolific a shooter (I have a pair of Bushmasters that get to share in my ammo expenditures), but I do have a few hundred rounds down range... I'll try to take some pics this week.

HAIL CAESAR
08-23-2009, 21:24
I'm not that prolific a shooter (I have a pair of Bushmasters that get to share in my ammo expenditures), but I do have a few hundred rounds down range... I'll try to take some pics this week.

Sir, that would be great. Thank you for your time as I would be very interested.

Javelin
08-23-2009, 22:00

Yeah first hand knowledge would be really appreciated.

:wavey:

Deadduck357
08-24-2009, 17:11
SR-556 is my favorite AR I have ever owned, 0 malfunctions, rock solid, sub-MOA accurate. Get one, you will not be disappointed.

internal
08-24-2009, 17:33
I'm too much of a weight snob to want to start getting into piston AR's.

Of course the idea in theory does seem like the right idea.

NDC187
08-24-2009, 20:18
Weight? LOL. Try using a SAW in place of your AR. Anything under 20 lbs is fine with me.

Javelin
08-24-2009, 20:24
Weight? LOL. Try using a SAW in place of your AR. Anything under 20 lbs is fine with me.

You want light. You might not know it yet... but you want it. :wavey:

NDC187
08-26-2009, 08:37

hrmm. I really want to give one of these a go though.

Without turning this into another AR brand war; What do you recommend Javelin out of the direct impingement line?

internal
08-26-2009, 09:49

Ummm alrighty then, I'll make sure I use my SAW instead of my AR? :whistling:

Kegel
08-26-2009, 09:57

Without turning this into another AR brand war; What do you recommend Javelin out of the direct impingement line?

Hmmmm....Noveske maybe? :whistling:

NeverMore1701
08-26-2009, 15:58
My list, in aproximate order would be: Noveske, BCM, LMT/Colt, Sabre.

I made the mistake of checking out that Noveske FDE SPR.... Yum, if only I had an extra $3k burning a hole in my pocket.

deMontacute
08-26-2009, 16:18
My list, in aproximate order would be: Noveske, BCM, LMT/Colt, Sabre.

I made the mistake of checking out that Noveske FDE SPR.... Yum, if only I had an extra $3k burning a hole in my pocket.
I agree with this list. However I would go Noveske, Colt, BCM, LMT, Saber...

thisaway
08-26-2009, 16:53
I agree with this list. However I would go Noveske, Colt, BCM, LMT, Saber...

What, no LWRC? :supergrin:

NDC187
08-26-2009, 16:55
I looked up Noveske on gunbroker and out of my price range.

thisaway
08-26-2009, 16:57

Colt SP-1 baby! :thumbsup:

NDC187
08-26-2009, 17:04
Colt is very affordable. But that Ruger coming with the rails and everything for 1500 is very appealing.

I'm going Ruger. If it screws up, I'll just keep sending it back till they get it right. I like taking the road less traveled. When I have the cash for it and a case of ammo I'll do a full write up. :supergrin:

Deadduck357
08-26-2009, 19:38
Colt is very affordable. But that Ruger coming with the rails and everything for 1500 is very appealing.

I'm going Ruger. If it screws up, I'll just keep sending it back till they get it right. I like taking the road less traveled. When I have the cash for it and a case of ammo I'll do a full write up. :supergrin:

Your making an excellent choice.

Javelin
08-26-2009, 20:20

I see you want to go with Ruger. Never had any personal experience with them. I am no expert like Caesar and others on here because I am purely an end user, but like what most folks do which is Noveske, LMT, Colt, etc.

If I were to buy another AR it would be a Noveske. It is one of those things where I would caution you to wait and just buy the best first (Noveske, Colt, LMT, etc) and forget settling only to upgrade later because that is when the BR disease gets expensive.

If your going shooting this weekend I'll bring my suppressed Noveske and you can try it out if you want.

HAIL CAESAR
08-26-2009, 23:09
What, no LWRC? :supergrin:

Dang, I always forget to mention LWRC!

Dem Der are realllly goood rifles!!!!!

I am no expert like Caesar and others on here

Count me out of that equation Son, or somebody is going to accuse you of smokin' the wacky Tobacy!!!

NDC187
08-27-2009, 06:16
I see you want to go with Ruger. Never had any personal experience with them. I am no expert like Caesar and others on here because I am purely an end user, but like what most folks do which is Noveske, LMT, Colt, etc.

If I were to buy another AR it would be a Noveske. It is one of those things where I would caution you to wait and just buy the best first (Noveske, Colt, LMT, etc) and forget settling only to upgrade later because that is when the BR disease gets expensive.

If your going shooting this weekend I'll bring my suppressed Noveske and you can try it out if you want.

:shocked: PM on the way.

Morris
08-28-2009, 05:49
A bit over a year ago, the issue of gas piston ARs came up in a discussion in an AR armorer's class being taught by Ken Elmore. It revolved about some premature wearing of a certain agency's LWRC uppers. Ken was modest (I know, shocking for him) but clearly articulated that he had see too many gas piston ARs suffering from carrier tilt, which, in turn, lead to the premature wearing of parts and receivers.

Ruger tells me that they have solved this but we will see. I know and trust Jeter.

We'll see what pans out for wear issues. That being said, Ruger does have a winning package from a price point position considering what is offered. They certainly intrigue me.

rottglocken
01-01-2010, 23:21

Sorry to drag this one back up out of the muck, but did the pictures of the buffer tube ever get taken?
I'm trying to decide between an SR556, an LWRC, and an XCR. So I'm interested to see what went on with your SR's buffer tube.

NDC187
01-03-2010, 16:42
Well, since you brought this thread back up after researching all of the gas piston rifles I went with the new Daniel Defense m4.

phxccw
01-09-2010, 09:42
If he was to backoff the stock tube would that retainer pin stay in place?OOPS! A major SNAFU! Someone needs to back off that butt stock tube a couple of turns and re-tighten the locking ring!!!

Wild Gene
01-11-2010, 01:20
Well, since you brought this thread back up after researching all of the gas piston rifles I went with the new Daniel Defense m4.

How do you like it? I went with the Ruger. It is a little heavy but about the same weight as the new FN SCAR (which is what I had intended to get, but it felt "funny"). It seems to be a pretty good deal considering all the options it comes with, and so for has been a real shooter. I think it has been a good option for me so far as there are so many options among the other AR's I really didn't know where to go. I wanted something for 3 gun, I plan on shooting tactical or limited (I think those are the correct classes) depending on the match. I don't plan on shooting optics, but may stick an Aim Point on my rifle. Mine was $1,350 NIB, so I didn't figure I could go too wrong. I figure a warrranty is worth a fair amount to me with and entry type rifle.

It has certainly been different than my cowboy guns.

Sure, someday I would like a Noveske (sp.), but I think this is going to be a great "starter rifle". I can put an upper on it, or put another one together later. I think these rifles are like potato chips, nobody has just one.

Take Care.

Kentak
01-11-2010, 12:53
Carrier tilt = phenomenon in search of a downside

So, far, it seems to be a cosmetic problem in a part of the gun not normally seen.

Zero documented cases of failure caused by carrier tilt, right?

I question that picture is of a Ruger. It's not even posted by the owner of the gun. The profile of the "flat" on top seems to be different from my Ruger. I'll post a picture later.

How many rounds through the gun in that picture?

Go to Ruger's website for a video about "carrier tilt" and other SR-556 information. http://www.ruger.com/products/sr556/extras.html