Local Shooting Center [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Local Shooting Center

G-23
08-22-2009, 09:34
Last night I went to a range I had never been at before. I went down there with some friends. Long Storie short. I had My G23 with me. I have about 1,800 round thru it. About half hour after we got there I had fired 150 rounds, a let a friend go thru a box (50 rounds) as well. Reloaded the Mag but a round in the champer and click. The Road was a dud. I removed the Mag and manully ejected the round. The round had a clear stick mark from the fireing pin. I put the mag back in the gun and released the slide and tryed fireing again. Samething happened four more times. I went up to main counter and all they would say is to put the roads back in the mag and try fireing them again. I always though of dud bullets like dud fire works get away from them and never touch them again. Any ways his commet and attuded pissed me off.

Should I have tried to fire them again? Am I over reacting to nothing?
Or was I right?

rmc85
08-22-2009, 16:27
I dont want one of those nasty hang fires...

If a round doesnt fire I leave it be.

Truffle8Shuffle
08-22-2009, 21:15
I dont want one of those nasty hang fires...

If a round doesnt fire I leave it be.

What do you with the bullet then?

I've never had this problem in a auto but I have had one with my Rossi .38. It was Winchester ammo, cheap lead nose range stuff. I just shot the remaining bullets and hit the first one, the hang fire, again and it went off just fine and dandy.

Jon_R
08-23-2009, 12:44
It could be a combination of your firing pin spring a little weak and the primers used be harder then others. 1800 rounds is nothing in a glock though.

What was the ammo you where shooting? If reloads what primers where used?

It could be something got in the firing pin channel slowing it down.

Hitting a primer again is not that bad. Probably 50/50 if you do it in the same firearm it will actually fire probably less since you had 4 straight fail.

A hangfire in a semi auto pistol is not a huge thing. If the hang fire is in the chamber and it is pointing safe then it will fire. If you kicked it out and it is on the ground it is just a pop really as the round is not supported to channel the pressure. In tactical classes if you have a misfire you rack the slide and carry on. If it ends up being a hang fire so be it. It will pop on the ground and rupture the case letting the pressure out.

The scary one would be a hang fire in a revolver where you rotated the cylinder. The cylinder would support the case allowing the pressure to be channeled but not lined up with the barrel for the projectile to escape. That would be bad.

G-23
08-23-2009, 13:01
It could be a combination of your firing pin spring a little weak and the primers used be harder then others. 1800 rounds is nothing in a glock though.

What was the ammo you where shooting? If reloads what primers where used?

It could be something got in the firing pin channel slowing it down.

Hitting a primer again is not that bad. Probably 50/50 if you do it in the same firearm it will actually fire probably less since you had 4 straight fail.

A hangfire in a semi auto pistol is not a huge thing. If the hang fire is in the chamber and it is pointing safe then it will fire. If you kicked it out and it is on the ground it is just a pop really as the round is not supported to channel the pressure. In tactical classes if you have a misfire you rack the slide and carry on. If it ends up being a hang fire so be it. It will pop on the ground and rupture the case letting the pressure out.

The scary one would be a hang fire in a revolver where you rotated the cylinder. The cylinder would support the case allowing the pressure to be channeled but not lined up with the barrel for the projectile to escape. That would be bad.

It was carp range ammo. That they sold us. I never hurd of the brand before. Since then I have put some federal rounds thru the gun and it works perfect. I'm still not comfertable put rounds that did not fire back thru my gun. I do not think I am going to go back to the place anytime soon.

njl
08-23-2009, 13:25
It happens sometimes...could be hard primers, with cheap reloads it could be the primer wasn't fully seated or something had gotten into it that had killed the primer. What was the headstamp on the brass? Was the headstamp the same on all the rounds from the box(es) you bought form them?

Jon_R
08-23-2009, 17:46
It happens sometimes...could be hard primers, with cheap reloads it could be the primer wasn't fully seated or something had gotten into it that had killed the primer. What was the headstamp on the brass? Was the headstamp the same on all the rounds from the box(es) you bought form them?

I use wolf primers on my reloads. They are pretty hard compared to the others. I have not had issues with my Glocks but a buddy had problems with his Taurus getting them to light up. He swapped a spring. Firing pin or hammer and then they where fine.

FlaChef
08-28-2009, 09:01
I usually just load them up in a different gun. If a round won't go in two different guns then I am not worried about the guns and feel certain dismissing it as a bad round.

Ammo not supported by a chamber will just cook off. It looks like a bright little mini flare for about a half a second then that's it. The bullet just unseats, it doesn't go anywhere.

That said, a hangfire is so uncommon these days I have never even personally witnessed one, only seen a video.
The whole keep it pointed down range thing is garbage, tap , rack, ready is what i go by. It works for competition or tactical exercises.

What range was it?