help with xp [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : help with xp

Another Miller
08-23-2009, 00:03
Finally got my custom computer built from my nephew,upgraded to roadrunner.

Went and left it alone with my son and his friend.Came back and they had downloaded something called java for a gaming thing,like that warcraft but he says its not called warcraft.I noticed because my son hollered at me and asks "whats a fatal error dad?"this after I specifically asked him not to download anything.

Anyhow,I ran avg free edition and it didnt find anything.Im wondering if there was some bug.I did have some sort of word doc on my desktop about something that hapenedand some things being blocked and attempts at access but Im not sure what it was so in my haste,deleted the document.

it does seem like my internet page is different now,,what is bing?

Gun Shark
08-23-2009, 00:05
I don't see why Java would do something like that unless it wasn't java.

Bing is a search engine

does it look like this

http://www.bing.com

Another Miller
08-23-2009, 00:12
Wierd,I set my computer up with google and now its google and bing.why?I clicked hide and bing dissappeared.

I didnt add it,unless my son did when he and his friend went to that website and downloaded the game.is there a way to remove it?

Gun Shark
08-23-2009, 00:15
Wierd,I set my computer up with google and now its google and bing.why?I clicked hide and bing dissappeared.

I didnt add it,unless my son did when he and his friend went to that website and downloaded the game.is there a way to remove it?

the game or bing(there is really nothing wrong with bing)?

Another Miller
08-23-2009, 01:40
I'll just leave it alone for now as long as it isnt hurting anythig else.

Sgt. Schultz
08-23-2009, 13:47
A lot of software, especially games automatically install other programs during the installation process of the primary program; usually there is a way to opt of the secondary installation. You should always choose the "custom" install over the "automatic installation" that way you can see what is actually being installed on your computer. Most of the time they try to get you to install some type of toolbar like Yahoo, Ask.com etc A quick Google search shows that some Java installations do include the option to install the Bing Toolbar. You can probably uninstall it using the Add or Remove Programs option in your control panel.

Linux3
08-23-2009, 14:33
Finally got my custom computer built from my nephew,upgraded to roadrunner. Went and left it alone with my son and his friend.Came back and they had downloaded something called java for a gaming thing,like that warcraft but he says its not called warcraft.I noticed because my son hollered at me and asks "whats a fatal error dad?"this after I specifically asked him not to download anything. Anyhow,I ran avg free edition and it didnt find anything.Im wondering if there was some bug.I did have some sort of word doc on my desktop about something that hapenedand some things being blocked and attempts at access but Im not sure what it was so in my haste,deleted the document. it does seem like my internet page is different now,,what is bing?
The idea of using this computer to do banking or other financial transactions just scares the bejesus out of me.
You gave your some an administrator account?
You use IE?
Something took control of your system and you question what to do?
Wipe it.
Wipe the OS and don't reinstall anything from the existing O.S.

Green_Manelishi
08-23-2009, 17:20
Finally got my custom computer built from my nephew,upgraded to roadrunner.

Went and left it alone with my son and his friend.Came back and they had downloaded something called java for a gaming thing,like that warcraft but he says its not called warcraft.I noticed because my son hollered at me and asks "whats a fatal error dad?"this after I specifically asked him not to download anything.

Anyhow,I ran avg free edition and it didnt find anything.Im wondering if there was some bug.I did have some sort of word doc on my desktop about something that hapenedand some things being blocked and attempts at access but Im not sure what it was so in my haste,deleted the document.

it does seem like my internet page is different now,,what is bing?

Why is your son, and his dipsht friend, using your computer? This is an example of how 'tech savvy' children are not, despite claims they are so far ahead of adults.

G19Pistolero
08-24-2009, 14:47
Actually noticed yesterday while installing Sun Systems' Java so my nephew could play the online game "Runscape" that the Java installer asks if you want to install the Bing (formerly known as Live Search from Microsoft) toolbar...the toolbar is harmless...Java can be dangerous if the wrong Java applet is installed.

J.

solomansousana
08-26-2009, 13:46
You should set your computer up with an administrator account for you, and a guest account for your son or children. This would prevent any downloads on his part.