Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 Review [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 Review

Cruiser702
08-24-2009, 11:59
My interest in purchasing an AR plinker spiked (no pun intended) during the 2009 SHOT show held in Orlando last January. It was exciting to see new offering by SIG and other manufacturers.

I was ready to place my SIG order early on, but after several months and no clear release date, I decided to simply add my name to a waiting list. During the interim I’d become less patient and begun looking at alternative AR rimfire rifles that were currently available in the marketplace.

Tactical Solution’s and Spike’s build excellent dedicated AR rimfire rifles and uppers, but I didn’t want to invest that much money into a plinker, nor did the conversion kits interest me. The GSG5 and GSG AK-47 are pretty neat, but for some reason they don’t appeal to me enough to purchase one.

A process of elimination narrowed down my remaining choices to the Colt line (I like the OPS) and S&W M&P. I’ve read enthusiastic reviews about both and they seem to be an immediate hit with shooters who have purchased them. I had the opportunity to handle both manufacturers models at a local gun shop however they’re quiet pricey in our area. Based upon my inspection, reviews and owner feedback in several online forums, I decided the M&P was the most suitable for my plinking needs, and well under my budget, even after accessorizing. My Colt and S&W comparison information (PDF file) can be viewed here (http://www.fishkind.com/collection/coltsw.pdf).

My price comparisons suggest that it’s a good deal less expensive ($150-$175) than the Colt, weighs less, has more functional AR-like controls, the trigger group can be changed if desired, has a removable bolt assembly (for easy cleaning), and is manufactured in the USA by a company that stands behind its product.

So, about two weeks ago I contacted my dealer, Donna at DB Flanagan’s Gun Shop, and requested that she give my spot on the SIG 522 waiting list to a deserving soul. I placed an order for the M&P15-22, which she located very quickly for me. If you’re a SIG fan you may know Donna (MississippiGal) from over at the SIG forum (http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/45210197). She’s terrific to work with and very competitive with pricing on many brands.

The M&P arrived last week. When you pick it up it feels solid, but it’s also relatively light given the polymer upper and lower receiver, and quad rail. The quad rail and buffer tube for the adjustable stock are not removable. It’s my understanding that the stock can be replaced with any mil-spec variant.

I’ve also read that future variations of the M&P may include a threaded barrel. If you decide that you want to thread this one, the removal procedure is different then you would encounter on a standard AR. There’s more information here (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34384&page=3).

As with all new arms, I prefer to fieldstrip and clean them prior to shooting. If you own an AR you’re already familiar with the simple breakdown procedure. The only difference in the process with the M&P occurs at the very end of the sequence. With a standard AR you slip the bolt carrier group and charging handle out of the receiver. With the M&P15-22, you slip the bolt ASSEMBLY and charging handle out of the receiver. The functional charging handle appears to be polymer with a metal latch, and is shorter than the handle found on a standard AR.

It’s very easy to clean the bolt assembly once it’s removed from the upper receiver. And with the assembly removed, like a standard AR, the barrel is much easier to access and clean from the chamber end. I use an Otis Cleaning System with flexible cable on almost all of my pistols and rifles. If you prefer to use something like a boresnake or traditional cleaning equipment, they should work fine too.

Bolt Assembly & Charging Handle

http://www.fishkind.com/collection/images/swmp1522_bolt.jpg

Accessories

I decided to install a few parts I had on hand from an old AR build and add a few new accessories I ordered while waiting on the rifle to arrive.

Boone Packer Tactical Quick Adjust Sling
ERGO Sure Pistol Grip
ERGO Low-Profile Rail Covers
Ergo Rail Mount Sling Swivel
Primary Arms Red Dot Optic (M4)
ProMag VFG
ProMag AR15/M4 buttpad

Aftermarket Grip & Fit Information

If you plan to replace the OE grip you’ll need a long-reach 3/16” Allen wrench to remove the mounting bolt inside the grip. I utilized a ball-end 3/16” long-reach Allen wrench that came with my Knoxx Spec Op Stock for my Remington 870 which worked quite well.

I decided to replace the OE pistol grip with an Ergo Sure Grip I had on hand as shown in the photos. Once installed, I discovered that the upper portion of the grip (at web of hand when holding grip) does not snug up tightly to the lower receiver like it normally would on a standard AR15. Instead, there’s a small gap between the receiver and grip. It’s not too noticeable unless you know it’s there, nor is it a hindrance when handling or shooting the rifle. The gap does not affect the installation in any other way; the grip is held firmly in place once installed.

It is my understanding that the gap is also an issue with the Magpul MOE grip. This suggests there may be some slight differences in the M&P15-22 and standard M&P15 design.

If you wish to simply avoid the issue with the gap use a grip that does not have a backstrap, such as a Hogue or Tango Down Battle grip.

Primary Arms Red Dot M4 Information

The Primary Arms (http://primaryarms.com/main.sc) Red Dot M4 is popular with members of the AR forum (http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=325). The red dot works well and is under $100 delivered. An AR rail mount is included, it co-witnesses with the irons, runs on one AA battery, offers 4 reticules, including a 2MOA dot. The company provides excellent customer service.

I wish the quality of the photos were better, but unfortunately I don’t have the best camera and it rained and or was mostly overcast and cloudy all weekend.

http://www.fishkind.com/collection/images/swmp1522_04.jpg

Range Session

My primary goal on this first outing was to test the reliability of the rifle with different types of ammunition and to sight-in the irons and red dot. Given the limited time I had to shoot this weekend, determining accuracy was only a secondary concern.

There were no compatibility issues with the quad rails and accessories (red dot, grip bi-pod, rail covers and VFG) I mounted. Although the rails are polymer they appear to be sturdy.

The backstop is approximately 60’ on this range. Even at that distance, with my older eyes, precision shooting can be challenging with open sights or a red dot. Of course, this isn’t a target rifle, but we all strive to shoot the best we can.

During this session I shot approximately 75-100 rounds of each of the following:

CCI Mini-Mag 40 grain CPRN HV (0030)
CCI Standard Velocity 40 grain LRN (0032)
Federal 36 grain CPHP (550 VP)
Federal Champion 40 grain SP (510)
Federal Auto-Match 40 grain SP (AM22)
Winchester Super-X 40 grain HV (X22LR)
Remington Gold Box 36 grain HP

When I pulled the trigger on the M&P15-22 the first few times it was an odd feeling. I felt somewhat bewildered and disappointed. If you own or have ever shot an AR15 you’ll understand what I mean. With the real deal you have the expectation and satisfaction of some healthy pushback and recoil. That’s not the case with the M&P15-22; there is minimal pushback, recoil and report.

The good news is that you won’t feel bad for very long. As you continue shooting your disappointment will turn into glee when you realize how much fun you’re having and how little money you’re spending on ammo. You’ll still be standing at the firing line long after the shooter next to you runs out of centerfire ammunition and heads home.

The trigger pull is perfectly adequate; no better or worse than what you would expect to find in a standard USGI equipped mil-spec trigger group, however if desired, the fire control group can be upgraded.

After sight-in, I shot offhand for a little while with open sights. Later in the session I mounted the red dot and grip bi-pod (shown in photo) and shot off of a bench, standing up. Although the magazine is long it did not present a problem shooting off the bench in this manner.

Rapid fire is not allowed at this range so I fired one round approximately each second or two until I emptied the magazine. Interestingly, during the session I inadvertently bump-fired the rifle two or three times with 2-3 round bursts. That was kind of cool and no one seemed to notice or at least no one said anything.

Range Session Results

M&P15-22

Cumulatively, I expended approximately six hundred rounds and experienced zero issues with the rifle.

Magazine

The proprietary 25-round polymer magazine appears durable and of good quality. It functioned perfectly as long as you followed the loading (one round at a time) instructions outlined in the manual.

Once you’ve loaded it a few times the process goes quickly, but I must admit, after reloading this many times during one session my thumb and index finger became a little sore while holding down the load assist button exposed on each side of the magazine follower.

The magazine bolt hold back feature worked fine. Each time the magazine expended the last round the bolt held in the open position.

Spare magazines were not available when I purchased my M&P, but my dealer backordered two for me for $46, including shipping. At about $20 each they’re very reasonably priced and also available through Smith & Wesson.

I understand that 10-round magazines will be available soon to meet compliance issues in states that do not allow hi-cap magazines for about the same price. (8/29 update on 10-round mags. S&W reports they will not be available to for at least 3 months.)

Ammunition Reliability

With the exception of Remington Gold Box all of the ammunition functioned without issue. I had at least one round of Remington GB in each of 4 magazine reloads that failed to fire and had to be manually ejected. I wasn’t surprised given my past experience with it and its mediocre performance.

The target below has five 7.5” outer rings. Each outer ring has a number eight (black) 3” inner ring. The lower rings were used to sight in the red dot and open sights. This is one of two targets that I used during the range session.

I did not clean the rifle during the range session however when I did get to it later in the day not surprisingly it was very dirty. I also decided to disassemble and clean the magazine which was quite simple with the instructions outlined in the manual.

http://www.fishkind.com/collection/images/swmp1522_target.jpg

M&P15-22 Specifications

SKU: 811030
Model: M&P15
Caliber: .22LR
Capacity: 25 Rounds
Action: Blow Back Semi-Auto
Overall Length: 33.75" Extended, 30.5" Collapsed
Stock: 6 Position CAR Stock
Sight Radius: 15.5"
Barrel Length: 16"
Barrel Twist: 1 in 16"
Weight (No Mag.): 5.5 lbs.
Trigger Pull: 7 lbs. (approx.)
Upper and Lower Material: Polymer
Barrel Material: 4140 Steel
Finish: Matte Black
Front Sight: Adj. A2 Post
Rear Sight: Adj. Dual Aperture

Summary

It’s a terrific little rifle for the price, reliable and plenty of fun to shoot. I think it would be a very good investment for any parent who wanted to introduce a child to shooting sports. The tactical look has that cool factor that most kids enjoy and there isn’t much more fun then shooting with your kids or family. Or, you can just purchase one for yourself like I did and invite your dad along. :)

*** January 15, 2010 Update ****

Since my initial M&P 15-22 review last August I’ve shot the rifle on several occasions primarily using Wal-Mart Federal 36 grain CPHP (550 VP). I have made it a point to stay away from the Remington Gold Box ammunition which has been problematic with my other rimfire firearms.

To date, I haven’t experienced any issues with the rifle however some owners have reported feeding, misfire, stovepipe and extraction issues. I would urge any owner who is experiencing these issues to takes these steps:

First, fieldstrip and thoroughly clean/lube the rifle, and clean the magazines.

Second, unless you enjoy firearm repair, stay away from poorly manufactured rimfire ammunition. You may not encounter an immediate issue, but eventually the law of averages will catch up with you.

After which, most of the issues I’ve read about have generally been related to improper magazine loading or misaligned and or damaged ejectors.

It’s not rocket science folks; to correctly load the magazine one must simply follow the instructions in the owner manual. I know; it’s a guy thing. We don’t read manuals until after we encounter a problem. That may be fine for a lot of stuff in life, but not for responsible firearm ownership. Please, read the manual first.

For the most part stovepiping and extraction issues have been blamed on misaligned and or damaged ejectors. You may have a choice of repair options here.

If you’re not sure what’s causing the issue and or do not have experience with firearm repair the best course of action is to send it back the manufacturer. S&W does a good job here. They pay shipping both ways, turnaround is about two weeks and most owners report that S&W has been returning the rifles with one or two free magazines for your inconvenience.

Option two is a DIY repair and assumes that you’re experienced and know what you’re doing. You can review the YouTube videos below and attempt a misaligned ejector repair.

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Stovepipe & Failure to Eject (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xTptp3_g2M)

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Ejector (Extractor) Fix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO76HC9tD4g)

Additional aftermarket items that I’ve added since my August review include:

MagPul MBUS Front and Rear Sights

Since I usually use the Primary Arms M4 red dot when I shoot I decided to replace the OE sights with a set of MagPul’s inexpensive, polymer fold-down sights The MagPul sights flip up when needed and co-witness efficiently with the red dot. They and the UTG Folding Forward Grip make it possible to easily slip a silicone treated gun sock on the rifle prior to storage, if you’re so inclined.

UTG Vertical Folding Forward Grip

The UTG appears to be an inexpensive knockoff of the more expensive CAA AR-15 3-Position Folding Grip. It’s not as robust as the CAA grip, but perfectly fine for the M&P 15-22, and available on ebay.

Barrel Shroud

This barrel shroud is designed specifically for the Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 by MP-1522.com (http://www.mp15-22.com/). It’s protected with a black hard coat anodized Type III Mil-Spec finish for a long service life. I purchased the long unthreaded version which extends into the OE quad rail approximately 5/8”. Installation is very straight forward. Remove the OE quad rail end cap, slip the barrel shroud over and down the barrel and tighten the set screw. I’m pleased with the quality of the shroud and it looks very nice on the naked barrel. It adds an additional 8 ounces to the rifle.

http://fishkind.com/collection/images/swmp1522_08.jpg

Kcolg
08-24-2009, 15:34
Good writeup, may have missed it somehow, but what was the price if you don't mind posting it.

steve1911
08-25-2009, 00:01
Nice review, looks like a good little shooter.

1911club#410

DJ Niner
08-25-2009, 01:08
Kcolg, it's supposed to be around $499. The October issue of Shooting Times magazine also has a decent article about it. After reading that, and Cruiser702's writeup, I think I'm getting an itch...

kirgi08
08-25-2009, 02:26
edit.

Cruiser702
08-25-2009, 06:20
Good writeup, may have missed it somehow, but what was the price if you don't mind posting it.

Thanks, I'm glad you found the write up helpful. I didn't mention price, but
it was $425 delivered to my FFL.

DJ Niner
08-26-2009, 00:12
Thanks, I'm glad you found the write up helpful. I didn't mention price, but
it was $425 delivered to my FFL.Even better at that price!

Aw, heck, who am I kidding; I'd just sink the difference into extra mags... :supergrin:

Cruiser702
08-26-2009, 06:22
Even better at that price!

Aw, heck, who am I kidding; I'd just sink the difference into extra mags... :supergrin:

Reasonably priced at about $20 each. :)

DJ Niner
08-26-2009, 23:58
Even better at that price!

Reasonably priced at about $20 each. :)I DID see that in your original write-up.

And BTW, you're not helping with this itch... :supergrin:

Where did you order it from, again? :whistling:

kirgi08
08-27-2009, 02:40
:sorry: DJ.'08.

Cruiser702
08-27-2009, 06:48
And BTW, you're not helping with this itch...

Sometimes you have to scratch an itch to make it go away! ;)

venenoindy
08-29-2009, 19:07
I have a Colt but I now want of this!!!!

Frog1
08-31-2009, 17:17
I bought one Saturday at a Cabela's door buster sale for $429.00. I almost bought the Colt two weeks ago. Before I closed that deal, I stuck a mag in and pulled it out without using the mag release. That deal was over.

I had a GSG-5, but discovered it was made like a BB gun. I sold it. The Colt also looks like a light duty hobby piece.

In line at Cabela's, a gentlemen mentioned he had purchased the Colt and had sent it back two times for warranty. He sold it to someone who had to have it. He tryed to shoot .22 matches with it, but it would not reliabily function. He said accuracy was ok, but the Smith has a thompson barrel. Real barrel. He was anticipating the upgrade.

I have always believed in function over beauty. The Smith is a real firearm built to last. Unlike the other two, it would make a good training weapon or suppressed special ops weapon. It's design and construction trump the airsoft .22's by a wide margin.

Through my 40+ years of shooting about everything, my inspection of the weapon impressed my old eyes. This is a well designed and sturdy built rimfire. It may be the best one I have ever seen.

The polymer/metal construction reminds me of Glock. It is not cheap plastic. The light weight actually feels better than the heavier AR15 M-4 I have grown to love. The trigger breaks at 5lbs. with no creep. It has real battle sights and the quad rail takes real accessories. The magazine seems sturdy and easy to load.

Whether you are a rimfire fan or someone looking to shoot an AR on the cheap, you owe it to yourself to get one of these jewels.

DJ Niner
09-01-2009, 00:32
Hmmm. I wonder if the Cabela's in the next town has one on the shelf...

(DJ is off to Google for a phone number)

steve1911
09-01-2009, 03:28
I have'nt been able to find any available at any wholesale dist. the reps,
tell me they are just coming in one or two at a time, and going out has soon
has they get them. :sigh:

1911club#410

proheromk1
09-01-2009, 11:29
If you are Active Duty or retired military, you can order it directly from S&W for $320.00.

DJ Niner
09-02-2009, 00:24
If you are Active Duty or retired military, you can order it directly from S&W for $320.00.:woohoo: Details or an informational link, please!

chineseboxer
09-02-2009, 23:26
Just ordered one....$424.00 out the door from local shop.

Cruiser702
09-03-2009, 07:22
Just ordered one....$424.00 out the door from local shop.

Great, I hope you enjoy your M&P as much as I've enjoyed mine. :)

txgunguy
09-03-2009, 18:02
I am considering getting one of these tomorrow. It looks and feels awesome. Almost all reviews I have seen are favorable.

J0KER
09-04-2009, 21:00
What kind of range can one expect from this rimfire rifle? 100-200 yds?

dbgsig
09-06-2009, 11:07
I have shot mine out to 100 yds, that is the max at my range. It is very accureate at that range.

Fireman1291
09-07-2009, 10:29
Im going to order one through S&W when the threaded barrel version comes out....Cant wait!

jerrycurlin
09-07-2009, 14:16
Who sells them online? thanks!!

txgunguy
09-09-2009, 16:31
Bought mine the other day. It is awesome. I've already taken it to the range twice. It has been flawless both times. Cleans super easy too. I have fed it a variety of ammo and it chewed it all up. Everything from subsonic ammo to hyper velocity stuff. Two thumbs way up.

Cruiser702
09-10-2009, 07:07
Bought mine the other day. It is awesome. I've already taken it to the range twice. It has been flawless both times. Cleans super easy too. I have fed it a variety of ammo and it chewed it all up. Everything from subsonic ammo to hyper velocity stuff. Two thumbs way up.

Yet, another happy M&P 15-22 owner. ;)

proheromk1
09-10-2009, 10:01
:woohoo: Details or an informational link, please!

Call s+w, talk to their military rep. She will e-mail you the required form and instructions. They offer a 40% discount one time a year on all of their m+p products for active duty and retired

DowntimeLA
09-10-2009, 11:12
i love the M&P15 and I want one of these

DJ Niner
09-11-2009, 00:17
Call s+w, talk to their military rep. She will e-mail you the required form and instructions. They offer a 40% discount one time a year on all of their m+p products for active duty and retiredNow, all I have to do is scrape together a large enough pile of change, salvaged from between my vehicle's seat cushions, and I'm on the way! :dancingbanana:

A big "Thanks!" to you for the info! Despite many contacts in the retail end of the industry and many LE/Military folks, I'd never heard of this before.

GT comes through again! :thumbsup:

proheromk1
09-11-2009, 06:38
Myself and some co-workers stumbled across this about 2 weeks ago. Apparently they have always offered it on m+p pistols, but just recently started doing it with the rifles aswell. For what its worth, the m+p 15 ORC is only $700.00 with the discount. That is a steal in todays market.

Cruiser702
09-11-2009, 06:46
That’s terrific; only wish some of these special discounts offered by some retailers were available to veterans who served in war zones, in addition to LEO’s, active and retired service personal.

coachg
09-11-2009, 09:10
Cruiser,

Thanks for the great review. I ordered one last night. $409 which is amazing.

I think I'll be selling my Ruger 10/22.

CG

Cruiser702
09-11-2009, 10:15
Cruiser,

Thanks for the great review. I ordered one last night. $409 which is amazing.

I think I'll be selling my Ruger 10/22.

CG

That's a great price; hope you enjoy it. No reason to sell the 10-22, they're fun too! :)

txgunguy
09-12-2009, 15:07
That's a great price; hope you enjoy it. No reason to sell the 10-22, they're fun too! :)

Sure there is. Mags and ammo for the new toy. :cool:

coachg
09-28-2009, 07:43
I picked up my AR15-22 this past Friday. I had a cheap Bushnell 3x9 Rimfire scope mounted on it and took it out to the range. Before I get to the negatives, I want to say that overall I am really happy with it.

I am pretty inexperienced shooting rifles so I'm not going to be able to brag about dime size groups. I set up my target a 50 yards and then put 5 clay pigeons out at 100. The guy at the store bore sighted the scope and with a little tweaking I was pretty tight on my 4inch targets at 50 yards. I then went out to the clays and broke them all on the first shot. I was then able to pick apart the pieces pretty easily. Not having done that before, I was having a blast. It is pretty cool to see a little chunk of orange 100 yards out and make it disappear.

The only problems i had were some nasty FTFs. About 5 out of the 300. The case got a pretty big dent and was sticking out the front of the mag. I'll keep an eye on that. Hopefully it'll get better with break in.

I picked up a couple of extra mags from Smith for $20 each. They are nice quality and pretty easy to load.

CG
This thing has a really high fun/cost ratio. Go out and get one.

Kona2004
10-01-2009, 06:03
Shot mine for the first time last night. Put about 250 rounds through it and realized I definitely need some more magazines. I spent more time loading than shooting. I had one failure where the round actually got stuck in the magazine pointing straight up. It took about five minutes to get it removed it was so tight. The failure actually occurred when I was trying to see how fast I could empty the magazine and happened around round #15. Did the same drill later on and had no problems. Overall, I'm very impressed with the gun and love the fact that I can have so much fun shooting for pennies.

fn/form
10-02-2009, 02:15
What do you owners think about using it as a police trainer?

NOT in an academy setting, but used by officers that already know how to use an AR. Will it stand up to at least 75% power on reload drills? Is the charging handle pull really short?

I don't want to buy something that will crap out in 5k rounds, but I do like the fact it's the only real option (Colt/Walther is out the window, for now) for bolt catch function.

Thanks.

19Delta
10-02-2009, 06:23
Tagged for later reference.

Cruiser702
10-02-2009, 06:47
NOT in an academy setting, but used by officers that already know how to use an AR.

I would suggest that it’s probably not designed for heavy use within a training environment, but would probably be suitable for moderate use in the capacity that you described. Keep in mind that they’re fairly new therefore little is known about long term owner durability.

Will it stand up to at least 75% power on reload drills?

Not sure what you mean; please clarify.

Is the charging handle pull really short?

Yes, shorter than a standard AR simply because of the way the bolt assembly is designed for a .22LR vs. 5.56 round.

fn/form
10-02-2009, 08:09
Not sure what you mean; please clarify.

75% power... meaning firm mag seating, bolt catch manipulation, etc. Not full on, as I don't expect the mags and catch to repeatedly hold up under those types of stresses.

Cruiser702
10-02-2009, 08:30
75% power... meaning firm mag seating, bolt catch manipulation, etc. Not full on, as I don't expect the mags and catch to repeatedly hold up under those types of stresses.

Magazines are heavy duty polymer and seem very durable. Thereís no slop when the magazine is inserted into the receiver magwell. The magazines lock firmly in place and magazine release is positive. Bolt catch and magazine lock back on the last round have been 100% on my M&P.

fn/form
10-04-2009, 01:08
I appreciate the feedback.

It doesn't look like it's hardy enough for full-speed training, but for under $500, you can't beat a complete rifle that will do fine on a square range at a low shooting cost. Looks like something to add to the Grocery List.

Kcolg
10-13-2009, 21:58
Checked with my S&W LEO/Military rep today and he was not familiar with the discount mentioned above? Any more info or the direct name/line for the person you called?

Thanks.

I'm looking more for the AR in 5.56 with the discount and the best price I can find so far is $760 for the optics ready one.

Also can get Colt 6920's for $1080 but I understand they are going for about that now anyway.

venenoindy
10-14-2009, 23:23
after a lot of thought I went ahead and put one one layaway, I already have a Colt and overall I like. I havent had any problems and matter of fact I enjoy it quite a bit. now lets see how the M&P performs.

DJ Niner
10-31-2009, 22:24
Checked with my S&W LEO/Military rep today and he was not familiar with the discount mentioned above? Any more info or the direct name/line for the person you called?

Thanks.

I'm looking more for the AR in 5.56 with the discount and the best price I can find so far is $760 for the optics ready one.

Also can get Colt 6920's for $1080 but I understand they are going for about that now anyway.If the rifle I looked-up on the website was the one you wanted (SKU 811003, model number ends in "OR" for Optics-Ready?), then 40% off the MSRP would put it right around $725, plus shipping and FFL transfer fees.

I finally got a response to one of my emails, and the person included this .PDF order form:

(Form removed -- see details below)

EDIT: I have been told the S&W has discontinued this program, although they may start another one eventually.

bkektk
11-04-2009, 00:06
I have had my S&W PM 15-22 for a few weeks now and have ran 800 rds through it with out any miss fires. But who has a auto loader with just one mag. So you can NOW get extra mags from:

www.44mag.com

for $ 17.99 each and fair shipping. I ordered inline and the mags were in my mailbox three days latter. Good Folks to deal with.

Happy Shooting:wavey:

Brian

xdime
11-07-2009, 11:51
Has anyone had any success with shooting Rem 22 Thuderbolts out of their 15 22? I picked up a box and either those rounds are complete junk or my 15 22 really did not like them. I had one blow out right at the rim for the primer, thankfully no damage to the gun.

AITruckGuy
11-07-2009, 13:25
Has anyone had any success with shooting Rem 22 Thunderbolts out of their 15 22? I picked up a box and either those rounds are complete junk or my 15 22 really did not like them.

Correct answer is "C"; both "A" and "B".

SCOTTtheBADGER
11-11-2009, 21:03
Has anyone had any success with shooting Rem 22 Thuderbolts out of their 15 22? I picked up a box and either those rounds are complete junk or my 15 22 really did not like them. I had one blow out right at the rim for the primer, thankfully no damage to the gun.

Be careful, the problem may be with your rifle. Mine is at S&W, after it fired on an open bolt, with Winchester SUPER X, and blowing the extractor off. Your extractor may be coming loose, and preventing full closure of the bolt. Please take a look at the extractor.

xdime
11-12-2009, 18:54
I will take a good look at the extractor. Thank you. I finished by shooting 100 rounds of CCI mini mag with everything working perfectly.

toddmog
11-12-2009, 19:13
Has anyone had any success with shooting Rem 22 Thuderbolts out of their 15 22? I picked up a box and either those rounds are complete junk or my 15 22 really did not like them.

There is a reason they are nicknamed Thunderduds

M2 Carbine
11-12-2009, 21:41
Shot mine again today. I wish I would have kept a rough count on rounds shot. It should be close to 1,500 rounds by now. I've got 8 magazines and it doesn't take long to go through them.

M2 Carbine
11-14-2009, 10:11
Last night I shot the gun using the Streamlight TLR-2 laser/light. Distance 35 yards.

At first I just used the the laser until it got too dark, so then used the laser and light.
I got about the same spread that I get shooting the Red Dot in daylight.

Had a lot of trouble with jams and misfires with Remington bulk pack. Which is about normal with bulk pack.

RetDep310
11-16-2009, 17:23
I also had several jams and misfires with the bulk Remington ammo. Winchester, Federal or CCI all fired without problems. Gonna give the Remington ammo away.

pntblnk
11-16-2009, 17:31
Same issue with the Remington bulk pack yesterday. I didn't bring any other ammo so I suffered through it. Odd thing was that I had a ruger 10/22 and 22/45 with me and they ran it just fine. Even the rejects from the S&W fed fine in the 10/22. :wow:

Great day teaching my 9 year old proper pistol form. He was a regular "dead eye dick" on the bowling pins at 15 yards and was hitting every 2nd or 3rd shot. Not bad for his first time shooting a pistol.

Iflyfish
11-16-2009, 20:38
As I shot my Henry lever action today I noticed the size difference between Remington and Federal bulk ammo. I sure donít know if would cause a problem, but the Remingtonís are shorter than the Federals. Both photos are 15 rounds.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr5/iflyfish1234/DSCN0012.jpg
Federal Bulk

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr5/iflyfish1234/DSCN0010.jpg
Remington Bulk

CMG
11-16-2009, 21:59
I liked the first one so well, I decided I needed another!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/SWMP22sr.jpg

Nestor
11-18-2009, 22:21
I placed the order for one today :whistling:
I would like to learn the M4 platform without breaking the bank.
In fact I figured out that I don't need a real M4 by now.
Plus I may teach my wife how to shoot this thing :)

M2 Carbine
11-19-2009, 09:08
Hi Adam.:wavey:

In fact I figured out that I don't need a real M4 by now.
Plus I may teach my wife how to shoot this thing
The Smith is a great (inexpensive) trainer for the AR.
A couple weeks ago I taught a lady to shoot the AR in about two hours. First she shot about 250-300 rounds of 22LR through the M&P using the Red Dot and iron sights. The ammo being so inexpensive she could also have fun rapid fire blasting at tin cans from the hip.:) She really liked the M&P and is talking about getting one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/SWMP1522Rtside.jpg

After shooting the M&P the lady immediately began shooting the AR like she had been shooting it for a long time.:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/ChrisAR.jpg

GSG-5 accessories. The scope rail is a must have.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GXTCV8/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=3244131811&ref=pd_sl_42wdncr07w_b

Nestor
11-19-2009, 16:11
Hiya Buck :wavey:
Thanks for the heads up my friend.
Monika seems to be interested in shooting, so .22lr would be a perfect caliber to start her education with the firearms.
Plus...as You said...the ammo is cheap :)
For HD I would grab other firearm than AR anyway, so S&W may work just fine.

GLOCKMASTER
11-28-2009, 15:29
Well I was finally aboe to get out to shoot mine some this afternoon. Not flawless but it only had two malfunctions through over 400 rounds. I would say not too bad for a rim fire. I also took my little girl along for the trip and I think she enjoyed it more than I did. This was the first time she has ever shot anything other than a pellet rifle. When we got in the truck to leave she mentioned something about a Christmas present. This little rifle is definitely a keeper I just need to get about five more magazines. The only changes I need to make is to try an Aimpoint Micro that I have lying around and put a sling on it.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_3421.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_3415.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_3494.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_3510.jpg
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_3505.jpg

DJ Niner
11-28-2009, 22:50
GLOCKMASTER,

Your girl is showing fine form in that sitting position!
Kudos to the student AND the teacher.

That is a great action photo as well; one casing caught in flight during ejection, as the new one feeds into the chamber in the background. Excellent!

Cruiser702
01-15-2010, 13:44
For any M&P 15-22 owner or potential owner who’s interested I’ve updated my initial August M&P 15-22 review here (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13641891#post13641891).

Generalcarry
05-08-2010, 10:35
My wife shot a friend's AR today and just informed me she's getting this M&P with her next SS check. I would have never believe this would happen in a million years!:supergrin:

MeefZah
05-15-2010, 20:05
Nice write up.

I have 1000 rounds of bulk pack through mine with 5 FTF, which I'm totally okay with.

M4J0R T0M
05-16-2010, 19:40
Mine had some problems with FTE new from the factory. I sent it to S&W and got back in two short weeks. It has been flawless since and is so much fun to shoot. This might soon be my new favorite shooter.

DJ Niner
05-29-2010, 03:33
Might be old news to some folks, but it looks like S&W finally has the short-body 10-shot mags on their website. I've been wanting one or two for bench shooting or low prone while hunting.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9919/10shotmag.jpg

Link to S&W's page for this item:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766381_-1_758016_757846_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

I have no connection to the site or company, other than being a happy customer.