CCW Class in or around Tampa? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW Class in or around Tampa?

Korrupted
08-26-2009, 16:10
Looking to get my little brother in a CCW class in or around Tampa. He is stationed in Clearwater with the Coast Guard and lives in Treasure Island. He keeps putting off getting his CCW because one of his master chiefs is a CCW certified instructor and keeps putting off having a class for the men. Looking for a recommendation by experience or at least a few places you may have heard good things about. I am paying for his course as a gift. Our family and I live in Arizona, so he would also have reciprocity with his home state. Thanks!

Mr. Blandings
08-26-2009, 21:15
Given your brother's location (Pinellas County, FL), he should get familiar with the Wyoming Antelope Club (www.antelopeclub.org). The "WAC" is a membership owned, non-profit outdoor range facility that hosts just about every shooting discipline available (bullseye, action, cowboy, high power, junior airgun, archery, etc.).

There are several NRA classes offered on a regular basis that fulfill the Florida CCW requirements:NEW PISTOL TRAINING PROGRAMS AT THE WAC
*NRA FIRST STEPS
(This 4 hour basic couse emphasizes safety and marksmanship).
*NRA 2 DAY BASIC PISTOL
(How to handle handguns safely / How revolvers and semi-autos work / Ammunition / Cleaning and maintaining handguns / Fundamentals of good shooting).
*NRA PERSONAL PROTECTION IN THE HOME
(Basic defensive shooting skills / Use of cover and concealment / various shooting Positions / Strategies for home safety / Responses to violent confrontation / Firearms and the law / How to choose a handgun for self defense).
*NEXT STEP DEFENSIVE PISTOL: (NOT AN NRA COURSE)
(This class covers drawing, concealment, shooting on the move, rapid fire. The emphasis is on defensive skills and tactics as an introduction to IDPA/USPSA).
(727) 322-8964 (daytime)There are also several "action" pistol disciplines (defensive pistol, USPSA, IDPA, cowboy) available on diferent days of the week to allow practice of useful skills.

If you really want to be a "big brother", buy him Randy Cain's (www.guntactics.com) "Tactical Handgun 101" at Southern Exposure Training Center (www.southernexpposuretraining.com) in Lakeland, FL. This comprehensive course from an absolutely world class instructor is HIGHLY recommended.

Hope this info helps.

DoubleTapFL
08-27-2009, 03:18
+1 on WAC. my wife and i shoot there weekly. i also recommend Harvey at eaglehawk security. 7210 ulmerton rd suite h. www.eaglehawksecurity.com (http://www.eaglehawksecurity.com)