Oklahoma hunting Lease? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma hunting Lease?

bassman-dan
08-28-2009, 20:11
I am looking for a hunting lease in Oklahoma and would appreciate any info or leads.
My grandson in OKC just turned 6 and I need a place to introduce him to hunting, preferably with both deer and small game.
Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

CanyonMan
08-29-2009, 18:24
I am looking for a hunting lease in Oklahoma and would appreciate any info or leads.
My grandson in OKC just turned 6 and I need a place to introduce him to hunting, preferably with both deer and small game.
Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Hate to see ya sittin here all alone....

The extreme N.W. part of Okla. Is my home. Although I am now in W. Texas. I would encourage you to work toward that as a goal "if you want the biggest bodied deer, and the large monster racks". Best found in the Canyons and rolloing sage brush hills outside Wooward, and Gate, and Sharon, and Vici, just to name a few hole in the wall towns for ya.

We have seen bucks behind the house on our ranch up there that just flat are unbelieveable in size, so I won't give figures here, I don't want to be called a liar. ;)

I will just say that we have seen plenty that have 30", and waaay more inside spread. Nuff said. Sorry, no hunting on the place to outsiders. Shouldn't have teased ya. :supergrin:

But, there are still very large deer in the area around the towns I listed for you. These towns are very small places, and the country is wild and full of sage and plumb thickets, and canyons.

Lease land is expence. Get used to that. I have a couple of suggestions for ya. Call the Woodward chamber of commerce and ask about the local guides in the area, or land for lease, and get the "game wardens name and number" for that area, and call and talk to him as well.... They have changed some so I do not have a recomendation for ya. Call feed stores in these towns I listed and ask the same. For land to lease, guides, or just a land owner that will let you hunt.

We have had folks drive up to the ranch house and simply ask, "Would you consider letting me hunt on your land ?" The answer is always NO, but, there are those who will let you if you are very polite, and explain how well you will take care of the place, and take the time to talk with them a bit.

Phone calls, as I suggested above are your best bet however, and I strongly encourage that....

Next. Since you are in OKC. You are very close to the Canton public hunting area. I am not a fan of public hunting, never had to do it. BUT, I do know that that place produces some very nice deer and turkeys and lots of small game, and I do know guys that have hunted there.

Given the age of your grandson, trophy hunting would not be on my mind for a couple years, until he gets his feet wet. Suggestion # 2. Check out the Canton area, there is enough land there for the whole state to hunt on. Go on a weekday, and you should'nt see nary a soul. At least it is much closer to your home in OKC, and you can get the boys feet wet, and have fun together, and you can work on the NW portion of the state over the next couple of years, doing your research, and land a good spot there when the boy is a tad more 'ready.' Again. Call the COC in Woodward, and also ask for the #'s of the feed stores, wardens, et et. in the towns I mentioned above to you, and that will give you a grand start.....

HTH's

Good luck and good hunting to you and the boy.

CanyonMan

bassman-dan
09-02-2009, 18:43
I will be taking your advice this week, CanyonMan. After the last last few years in west Texas, the Oklahoma prices can't be too much worse.:whistling:
Thanks for the reply.

CanyonMan
09-03-2009, 08:43
I will be taking your advice this week, CanyonMan. After the last last few years in west Texas, the Oklahoma prices can't be too much worse.:whistling:
Thanks for the reply.

Yeh, the prices out here in W. Texas, for those who come here and need to lease, are rediculous, plus the deer are small. If you do not find lease land, or a freebie, etc. in the areas I named in above post in Okla.. Do try Canton Public, at least for the boys first time, and on a week day. There are good deer in there, and plenty of small game.

Our OKLA. whitetail breed with Mulies out there as well, so the whitetail cross get very large indeed.

Any of these towns I mentioned, and surrounding areas give about the best hunting for deer/turkey. Again, Canton is always the "ace in the hole" for ya, if it takes some time for you to establish a relationship with some of these old boys in these areas I named for ya, or to find a place to fit your needs up in that more remote NW area.....

Good luck and I do wish you boys well.. I dropped a couple pics here for ya to give you an idea of the country in these areas.

Good Hunting

CanyonMan