Question: Elk Hunting with G20 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question: Elk Hunting with G20

BusDrvr
08-29-2009, 10:11
I'm interested in hearing your experience, if you have any, hunting elk with the 10mm G20. I'd like the comments to be about elk hunting only (not deer or anything else), please. Thanks.

I am not planning on hunting elk with the the G20 this year but I'm quite curious about it. I've heard of it being done but don't know anyone that's done it and I'd like to hear some first hand accounts if there are any.

For the record, I equate handgun hunting with bow hunting in that you need to get close. However I accept that some people are capable of ethically making 100 yard shots (don't think I could do it so wouldn't try it) so I don't want to go down that road. Just would like to hear some first hand accounts.

DesertScout are you out there? I thought I'd read once that you've taken elk with the G20.

Thank you!

CanyonMan
08-29-2009, 18:36
It sure can be done.. Desert Scout will tell you the same thing. But for me, it is not my choice. I suggest a larger caliber from 44mag and up with heavy cast bullets.

Not what you want to hear probably, but I am just telling you from my experiece, I want something larger than the 10mm Glock.

Again, yes, it can be done, and will take a good load, a good shot placement, and a skilled hunter. If you got all this going for ya, and can get within bow range, it will work. But I am not a fan of service caliber semi's for game the size of elk and upward.

You might PM Desert Scout and talk with him, or call him at his gun store in N.M. he is a great guy, and a good friend of mine, and will help you out all he can. http://www.southwestshootingauthority.com/612600.html

His number is at the bottom of the page. Ask for him by his handle DS, ;) Tell him I sent ya.

Good luck

CanyonMan

Javelin
08-29-2009, 18:44
I've read over in the 10mm forum that folks take the G20 on safari as a backup to their main gun. We like to think of the 10mm as a .375H&H mag but in a compact size.

:whistling:

wprebeck
08-29-2009, 22:48
Can't use it to hunt elk here in Kentucky...taken from the hunting guide that KDFWR puts out -

A handgun with a barrel length of less than six (6) inches, a bore diameter less than .270 inches, or that when fired, the bullet produces less than 550 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards

Found a ballistics chart at http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Chart_C/AMMUNITION+BALLISTICS+FOR+10mm+Auto and only one load meets that requirement. But, the barrel length isn't listed.

Javelin
08-30-2009, 08:55
Can't use it to hunt elk here in Kentucky...taken from the hunting guide that KDFWR puts out -

A handgun with a barrel length of less than six (6) inches, a bore diameter less than .270 inches, or that when fired, the bullet produces less than 550 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards

Found a ballistics chart at http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Chart_C/AMMUNITION+BALLISTICS+FOR+10mm+Auto and only one load meets that requirement. But, the barrel length isn't listed.

You can get a 6" 10mm barrel for your Glock 20 can't you? :whistling:

BusDrvr
08-30-2009, 11:05

Not what you want to hear probably, but I am just telling you from my experiece, I want something larger than the 10mm Glock.

Actually, it's exactly what I want to hear. Honest input.

Thanks for the post CanyonMan. Also thanks for the link to DesertScouts site. Very interesting and I may even have to tune in for a Podcast.

Bus

CanyonMan
08-30-2009, 11:14
Actually, it's exactly what I want to hear. Honest input.

Thanks for the post CanyonMan. Also thanks for the link to DesertScouts site. Very interesting and I may even have to tune in for a Podcast.

Bus

Thanks. I am well known for telling folks what they "don't want to hear", so i try to at least throw a smilie face in there.. (sometimes). haha depending on mood. ;)

Yeh, DS is a good old boy. Got a great store and good service, Give him a ring some time

Good shooting.

CanyonMan

duncan
09-06-2009, 11:39
It sure can be done.. Desert Scout will tell you the same thing. But for me, it is not my choice. I suggest a larger caliber from 44mag and up with heavy cast bullets.

CanyonMan

My G20 is my backup sidearm in addition to a hunting rifle. Would love to take a 30 yard shot on an elk here in WA with my Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag.

The G20 is only a backup but does have a KKM 6" target barrel and with the right load COULD. 44 mag is a better choice though.

CanyonMan
09-06-2009, 13:04
My G20 is my backup sidearm in addition to a hunting rifle. Would love to take a 30 yard shot on an elk here in WA with my Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag.

The G20 is only a backup but does have a KKM 6" target barrel and with the right load COULD. 44 mag is a better choice though.

Yep, I agree man. I do hope, my friend, that you get the chance for that close up elk shot with the 44mag. There is just nothing like it. (unless it is from a bow). ha. I really like hand gun hunting. My draw back is that these 58 year old eyes are getting kinda rusty, and I can't ever bring myself to scope a hand gun. May as well use a rifle if ya got a scope on it. (thats me).

Best of luck to ya Duncan
Good hunting
Good shooting bud.

CanyonMan