Just wondering how you guy feel about Japan... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering how you guy feel about Japan...

Dalton Wayne
09-02-2009, 17:39
After all these years? my daughter-in-law is Philippine and she loves Japan but she is too youg to know about what happened on your island nation, I am sure if she had lived there then, as pretty as she is she most likly would have been made a comfort women.
Me I feel some ill will towards Japan lost an uncle on Iwo Jima but would go there for a vist in a heart beat don't hate the people, would also love to see the Philippines. :cool:
Regards
DW

horge
09-02-2009, 17:52
I utterly HATE the Japanese responsible for atrocities committed against
my father's generation. However, very few of those Japanese are still
alive, and fewer still have remained unrepentant for their crimes. I give
the younger generation of Japanese the same goodwill and charity as
I'd give most any other people of the world. Except maybe Americans...
who get a different deal from me.

Americans committed their own crimes against the Filipino people, but
they more than made up for it with what they did afterwards. The blood
of brave Americans , those who laid down their lives alongside Filipinos
in defense of the Philippines, remains in the very soil of my country, and
thence in the very marrow and fiber of all our future generations:

On even the remote chance that the same blood runs in any American
I meet, perhaps a son or grandson of your finest, I extend to every
American extra friendship. Any American today has to be exceptionally
knuckleheaded for me to being to think ill of them... lol.

JM2,
h.

edtf
09-02-2009, 18:50
BTW, I'm sorry I have no source for this info but atrocities were usually done by Koreans under the Japanese Army.

My grandfather was the one of the highest if not the highest ranking officer during the death march. The cruelty was unimaginable - Just imagine they had this throw a baby up in the air and catch them with a bayonet pastime. But what is the past is the past just make sure it will never repeat itself. They have atoned for their sins and hopefully it won't happen again.

BUT Japan is truly a beautiful country. Their culture and discipline is practiced with their day to day life - pretty amazing.

On the other hand You should definitely visit the Philippines and have a good time.

People should learn to forgive but never forget.

Allegra
09-02-2009, 19:02
Anybody read "Without Seeing the Dawn"
Bestseller siya sa states after WW2, written by a pinoy
Very tragic , it's fiction pero it yun din yun

Just in case you dont run to the bookstore to buy it, ikwento ko nalang yung ending ,
Patay sila lahat

CatsMeow
09-02-2009, 19:16
My father's family narrowly missed (by some great miracle thank God) getting massacred by the retreating Japanese troops in Cebu in 1944, a fate of scores of families there. Those times were termed "juez de cuchillo" (sp., horge?). And what they did in Manila and during the Death March was unspeakable, I knew a survivor and he refused to talk about it. Also, check out the Hellships Memorial at the old Subic naval base, these Japanese have an attitude that a surrendered soldier is lower than dust...

So I have no use for those Japanese who continually flay America for using A Bombs on them to end a war Japan started in the first place. Or would they rather the US went ahead with Operation Olympic...

But then you can't hate the present generation who, as my few encounters with them show, are generous, friendly, and peaceful. Heck, they sometimes come here to shoot firearms, something verboten in their land. And I prefer Japanese to the present crop of Koreans who are here.

So you're welcome to come over DW, our friendship with America has never dimmed.

9MX
09-02-2009, 19:39
So you're welcome to come over DW, our friendship with America has never dimmed.

:patriot::beer: o yeah!

kontra
09-02-2009, 20:11
i can still recall my grandmother crying every time she recalls how hard life was under the Japanese rule. my grandfather died during the war. they were only in their 20s. for that, i hated the Japanese of that generation. but i am a believer of the idea that the children are not answerable to the faults of their parents.

it is not only the Japanese that killed a lot of Filipinos. a lot of them are actually Koreans. Americans, too, killed a lot of Filipinos when they carpet bombed Manila to flush the Japanese out. but we must all learn to forgive. otherwise, the world will be full of hatred and the killings will not stop.

as CatsMeow said:
But then you can't hate the present generation who, as my few encounters with them show, are generous, friendly, and peaceful. Heck, they sometimes come here to shoot firearms, something verboten in their land. And I prefer Japanese to the present crop of Koreans who are here.

i agree to this 101%

darwin25
09-02-2009, 21:14
Forgive but never forget. Never forget the sacrifices of those who came before us.

On another note, forgiveness is not for our generation to give. The least we can do is to always remember it. And to let the new generation of Japanese know the we never forget what their forefathers did to ours.

atmarcella
09-03-2009, 01:12
the japs during ww2 were cruel. but they also got the atom bomb and the firebombing of tokyo, w/c many say was worst than the atom bomb. so even steven lang lahat. what do i think of the japs now?

nice country. clean. hi-tech. very well managed country. nice cars. nicer still the schoolgirls. i mean girls in schoolgirl outfits. hhhhmmmmmm. excuse me, my imagination is flying hhhmmmmmmm. schoolgirls.....

Glock_19_9x19
09-03-2009, 02:59
My Grandpa (dad's dad) died fighting for the 45th INF (PS) in Bataan..My Grandma (mom's ma) lost both her parents and 4 out of 8 siblings when the Americans bombed Baguio City during the liberation. My dad doesn't hate the Japanese for making him an orphan. Same with my grandma when half her family were wiped out by their would-be liberators. War is tragic indeed..

BTW, I was entrusted to keep the 4 medals that were posthumously awarded to my grandpa, and I intend to pass it on to my kids when they grow up.. so that their generation wouldn't forget

atmarcella
09-03-2009, 03:31
yes. during war everybody is cruel.

horge
09-03-2009, 07:02
Those times were termed "juez de cuchillo" (sp., horge?). And what they did in Manila and during the Death March was unspeakable

Yes, sir, juez de cuchillo, indeed.
My dad's family are from Morong, Orani and Hermosa in Bataan.
A lot of Bataan villagers died trying to steal away prisoners from the
so-called Death March. My mom's side are from Tondo.

BTW, I'm sorry I have no source for this info but atrocities were usually done by Koreans under the Japanese Army.
The stories of Japanese and especially Koreans bayoneting babies
are NO exaggeration. Many on my mother's side were eyewitnesses
to such horrors. It was particularly bad when the Japanese were
making a last stand in Manila... just bayoneting every Filipino they
came across. A few Japanese officers were principled, but it can
fairly be said that the Japanese then were worse than animals.

markieboy
09-03-2009, 08:08
Me I feel some ill will towards Japan lost an uncle on Iwo Jima but would go there for a vist in a heart beat don't hate the people, would also love to see the Philippines. :cool:
Regards
DW

I'm sure you may have some ill will towards Japan, as this seems completely normal. However, keep in mind that we live in a different time than 50 years ago. The people had a different mindset and had evil actions. But they are human as well, just like the rest of us.

The holocaust was, IMO, the worst atrocity in human history. However, people of every nation still flock to Germany. In the United States, the predominant treatment of black slaves was also cruel and heartless. However, the United States is still considered the greatest country in the world today. Many give up all their possessions just to set foot on this great land.

So every country and people have their dark past. This is true of every culture. We will never forget any wrongs done to us. But we should try and always keep an open mind in everything in life.

Just my two cents.

i_am_infinity
09-03-2009, 10:29
my grandmother died when they were bombed at Fuga Island bt the Japanese.

BrassKnuckle
09-03-2009, 18:33
During WW2, the women would hide whenever Japanese soldiers entered a town. Nowadays, the women put on makeup and go out when there are Japanese tourists around.

Times have changed...

bulm540
09-03-2009, 21:02
Lol....