Im new but I have hunting questions... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Im new but I have hunting questions...

Kona
09-04-2009, 19:30
I have always wanted to go on a hunting/fishing/camping weekend with my dad and brother but neither of them are big into hunting. I have never gone hunting but think it would be a blast! We are all three into guns and the outdoors but we have never really done anything together involving hunting/fishing/camping. So I was thinking tonight that it would be great if we could all take a hunting and camping trip together. They both live in ID but I live in IL (still have my ID drivers license though). My dad and I both have our pilots license and I want to incorporate that into our trip too. My questions to you guys are A- Wheres a good place to go hunt/camp in Idaho around Thanksgiving time (with a nearby airstrip)? B- What can we hunt during that time of year (we have a 30/30, .22 rifle, and a G27)? C- Do we have to take a hunting course before we go out? D- What are prices for hunting license?

Like mentioned in the title, I am new to hunting and eger to learn but I just have NO CLUE where to start. Im imagining "living off the land" for the weekend by just bringing the essentials with us since we can only bring so much in a Cessna 172. We are not stupid when it comes to the outdoors by any means; we just have never hunted and dont want to break the law or do anything wrong. Please lt me know your thoughts and ideas! Thanks guys!

Big Bird
09-04-2009, 20:05
This will answer most of your hunting questions:

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/

In terms of wht you can hunt with those guns. Well, about the only useful gun in terms of big game is the 30/30 and you can hunt anything legal to hunt in Idaho with a 30/30. Its not the best choice for an elk but within 150 yards or so it will get the job done fine...after all even a 30-06 turns into a 30/30 after 180 yards or so and nobody thinks a 30-06 can't kill and an elk. For deer and lack bear it will do fine as well.

The .22 is OK for rabbits, squirrels, ground squirrels, grouse, etc = small game.

The G27 is pretty worthless as a hunting gun.

I'd consider a good 12 gauge pump and a decent bolt action in something like 30-06, 7mm mag etc.

duncan
09-09-2009, 23:45
Know your feeling.

Been talking to guys at work about deer and elk for 5 years and our scheduloes never mesh.

Idaho is a great state for hunting.