Info about serial number?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Info about serial number??

Tippmann
09-05-2009, 08:29
Hello folks,

i just bought an GLock19c yesterday.:embarassed:

What is the meaning of my serial number: GBU815??
What is the meaning of GBU?

regards:wavey:

m4arc
09-06-2009, 05:58
GBU is the manufacturing date code. More info can be found here: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412093

MakeMineA10mm
09-06-2009, 11:26
Just a slight clarification -

GBU is part of your serial number. When Glock began producing guns, they chose a system that would allow a large number of combinations without taking up too much space since they were limited to the little metal plate imbedded in the frame's dust cover as well as the ejection-port area of the barrel. (In much of Europe, the frame, barrel AND slide must ALL be serialized. The frame isn't much of a hinderance in terms of space, though, as there's enough room for about a 25-number serial on it...)

Glock started off with two letters and three numbers, i.e. "AA000" would be the first Glock serial number. This allowed them to get to "ZZ999" before running out of numbers. With this original scheme, Glock had the ability to serialize 676,000 pistols. I think it is some indication of Glock's underestimation of their future success that they had to adopt a three-letter, three number serial number system when they got to "ZZ999", switching over to "AAA000". This occurred in March, 1992.

Now, it gets dangerous to presume that one can calculate the exact number of Glocks made by looking at the current serial prefixes that are being released. (As well as determine what model the serial prefix is assigned to or what date it was made.) Why? Because Glock has possibly skipped some, and they've certainly issued many various models with customized serial numbers. You can read all about this in the first post of the Glock Serial Number Research Project, the link for which was provided above. They've also made runs of 500 or even 250 pistols and mixed different models in one prefix. They've also released them at slightly different times. Therefore, the prefix you're asking about is NOT a date code, but is part of your serial number. We've just been lucky that Glock has been somewhat obsessive-compulsive about running them consecutively.

At one time, there was an actual date code stamped in very small letters on Glock barrels. This was the date they were proofed. There is usually a Pentagon symbol next to the letters. Glock still uses this code on Glocks sold everywhere but in the US. For some reason, they quit stamping the code on US-bound guns in the 90s (along with dropping "US" as a suffix at the end of the serial number). There is an explanation of how to read this code at the bottom of the first post in the cited thread. Some Glocks have been showing up recently in the US that have foreign-Glock characteristics (like Glock's Austrian Co. name & European proof marks), which I believe is happening because Glock didn't have the inventory in the US to handle the rush when Obama was elected.

HTH.