south carolina parks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : south carolina parks

rns-glock37
09-05-2009, 16:58
can anyone help me with the law in south carolina in regards to concealed carry in parks? is it only in state parks that you can't conceal carry? thanks

GT4494
09-05-2009, 19:23
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

Carry In State Parks/State & National Forests/WMA/Road Side Rest Areas
Carry Allowed in these Areas:
State Parks: YES 51-3-145.
State/National Forests: YES 51-3-145.
WMAs: NO
Road Side Rest Areas: YES 16-23-420

Crazy KD
09-06-2009, 17:58
I'm confused as we frequent state parks. There is a nice sized sign at the entrance of every one we have been in that says "No firearms allowed".

Are you saying that since I have a CWP I can legally have my firearm inside?

rns-glock37
09-06-2009, 18:14
I'm confused as we frequent state parks. There is a nice sized sign at the entrance of every one we have been in that says "No firearms allowed".

Are you saying that since I have a CWP I can legally have my firearm inside?

i felt the same way as you but i followed the link and it clearly says that ccw is permited as long as you have a valid permit. i will be contacting sled directly on tuesday and ask this question. i believe they will just direct me back to the web site but it won't hurt to ask. as soon as i get an answer i will be sure to post it.

GT4494
09-06-2009, 18:17
Can't wait to see what SLED's interpretation is...

Crazy KD
09-07-2009, 20:28
The parks are pretty laid back as they also have a 'no alcohol' policy. They seem to turn a slight blind eye to it as long as you don't have it in front of them and you don't have parties in the cabins/campgrounds.

I'd be very interested to hear what SLED says also.

GT4494
09-08-2009, 18:33
KDW, rns-glock37 Which part of Chas. are you in? I'm in N. Chas. / Summerville area. PM me if you want.

rns-glock37
09-09-2009, 04:53
i live in summerville. the sangaree subdivision. i will be contacting sled today, i wanted to do it yesterday but got side tracked.

Glockrunner
09-09-2009, 06:23
i live in summerville. the sangaree subdivision. i will be contacting sled today, i wanted to do it yesterday but got side tracked.

I too live in Sangaree. Carry in State Parks is OK BUT NOT into any buildings.

CW allowed as an exception in buildings at rest stops.

Glockrunner
09-09-2009, 06:27
Fellow CWP Holders here in the state really need to join SC's Grass Roots org. All of the laws are very well discussed and picked apart there. We even get the laws changed to make that license a more user friendly item everyday.

Here is a link:http://www.scfirearms.org/

rns-glock37
09-09-2009, 07:30
glockrunner i sent you a pm. i see that you're a certified glock armorer too. nice to have close by:embarassed:

Chucktown Mako
09-09-2009, 07:55
Fellow CWP Holders here in the state really need to join SC's Grass Roots org. All of the laws are very well discussed and picked apart there. We even get the laws changed to make that license a more user friendly item everyday.

Here is a link:http://www.scfirearms.org/

Tried to join. Keep getting 'error loading page' when I submit my application. Will try later.

Glockrunner
09-09-2009, 08:06
Tried to join. Keep getting 'error loading page' when I submit my application. Will try later.

I have most always renewed my membership through the mail or at the GrassRootsSC table at the Gun Show in Ladson (because I work it) and have never tried the CC route.

I will PM you some information though, let me make a phone call first.

Glockrunner
09-09-2009, 08:12

PM Sent. Thanks for the support!

Crazy KD
09-10-2009, 18:59
I live in Mt P, but work up in the Goose Creek area.

GT4494
09-10-2009, 19:52
I'm off Dorchester west of Ashley Phosphate.

Didn't realize we had so many locals on GT. :wavey:

rns-glock37
09-11-2009, 05:09
i agree about the number of locals. i think there's a lot more than we realize. maybe we can all organize a meeting sometime and discuss local ccw issues and experiences.

Glockrunner
09-11-2009, 05:20
Come to the Ladson Gun Show (FairGounds location) this weekend and join the SC's GrassRoots.

I'm tellin ya, it's the best way I know of to stay current in the changes that WE MAKE HAPPEN in this state.

You can pick up a copy of the book, South Carolina GUN LAW written by some very knowledgable people, right here in our state. Why, you might even get it autographed, I don't know!

I'll be working the SC GrassRoots Table Saturday morning, if you want to stop by and chat. The table is located directly across from the area you pay ($7.00) to get in.

rns-glock37
09-11-2009, 06:17
i plan on being there and joing grassroots as well. thanks

Glockrunner
09-11-2009, 17:57
i agree about the number of locals. i think there's a lot more than we realize. maybe we can all organize a meeting sometime and discuss local ccw issues and experiences.

I would be open to that suggestion.

Glockrunner
09-12-2009, 16:44
Home from the Gun Show at the ladson Fairgrounds today. Signed up a few new members and got to do some renewals too.

Am sorry that I got long winded and missed the one fella from here that stopped by to sign up. Saturday mornig are usually the busy time of the day.

Would have enjoyed meeting you.

I did get to meet the fellow that started up the SCshooters.net and wanted to thank him too for stopping by, I will visit and have an intriguing question to post IF I can get it written out the way it was presented to me.

Ended up working the full day so that is all I accomplished today, a good job done!

rns-glock37
09-12-2009, 17:11
glockrunner i was the one that came by. it wasn't that you were long winded but my beeper went off and i never made it back to the show. look forward to meeting with you and the rest of the charleston area ccw. i'm going to sign up (grassroots) via the internet. i did pick up a copy of the book you were talking about (sc gun law) and got it autographed as well.

Crazy KD
09-13-2009, 19:11
Come to the Ladson Gun Show (FairGounds location) this weekend and join the SC's GrassRoots.

I was out of town this weekend, but I honestly haven't had good luck finding good deals at that show or the one at Jamil Temple in Columbia so I stopped going.

Glockrunner
09-13-2009, 20:18
I was out of town this weekend, but I honestly haven't had good luck finding good deals at that show or the one at Jamil Temple in Columbia so I stopped going.

As a rule I too don't buy much at the shows, too exspensive for my taste. I do enjoy looking though and I know lots of folks that come to the shows. I am active with some of the clubs and ranges around town.

Most good deals are on an individual level.

rns-glock37
09-13-2009, 20:39
i haven't been to many gun shows. if they are not offering many deals then what is the real purpose of the show. there wasn't any items there that i couldn't find at the local gun shop so it's not to show off some really unique items or anything. so what's the purpose?

Glockrunner
09-14-2009, 05:25
i haven't been to many gun shows. if they are not offering many deals then what is the real purpose of the show. there wasn't any items there that i couldn't find at the local gun shop so it's not to show off some really unique items or anything. so what's the purpose?

Let's be honest, the real reason is to make money, simple enough, and with that said...

Many people that enjoy firearms are the working class folks. Many don't necessarily have the time available in their day to day schedules to just browse around for what they want from shop to shop.

The I believe the Show provides these folks an opportunity to get their shopping and gawking all done under one roof and one time. Kind of satifies their needs for the urge and they save on time and gas having it all brought into one location for them.

Granite, the sellers all pretty much have businesses, and that includes expenses like overhead to say the least. I believe this give them the opportunity to get rid of their slow moving items (the deals) taking up space were they could be displaying a faster moving product.

With gun sales and ammo sales just, "going through the roof," not many deals right now; but I did save a couple dollars there on some brass I was planning to purchase on the internet so, the deals are there if you know the overall cost of the items you're looking for beforehand.

A good example:

I shopped all over town looking for a better range bag for the wife as hers was getting pretty ratty. I couldn't find one that I thought fit her needs and was of good construction. Believe it or not, I didn't see much selection available at all locally.

Mike Kents show comes to town and I found what I needed (in time for Christmas). I could put my hands on it and make a decision on the purchase right there without ordering it, trying to hide the transactions and possible returns. Blah, blah... got'er done in short order. I believe I paid a resonable price for it with all things considered, and it was conveinant.

GT4494
09-14-2009, 15:20

Any response from SLED? Just wondering.

rns-glock37
09-14-2009, 15:45
yes i've talked with sled and have read the south carolina gun law book. all sources to include sled says that you are allowed to carry in state parks (permit holders). i remembered a post on here that said there was a sign at one of the state parks that said no firearms. the sled agent said that if that is what the signs says then it don't meet regulations/code (i forgot the word she used) however she asked where it was located and i couldn't give an answer. she made it clear though that these questions can be answered on their website and i should look there. she was nice enough to conclude and to state again that a permit holder can carry in state parks.

GT4494
09-14-2009, 21:55
Thanks for the time and effort to check and post here. I know I travel a lot to State Parks and am glad to get the clarification.

Glockrunner
09-15-2009, 05:08
yes i've talked with sled and have read the south carolina gun law book. all sources to include sled says that you are allowed to carry in state parks (permit holders). i remembered a post on here that said there was a sign at one of the state parks that said no firearms. the sled agent said that if that is what the signs says then it don't meet regulations/code (i forgot the word she used) however she asked where it was located and i couldn't give an answer. she made it clear though that these questions can be answered on their website and i should look there. she was nice enough to conclude and to state again that a permit holder can carry in state parks.

Another bit of clarification:
It is my understanding that while you can carry, you CANNOT enter any buildings on the grounds.

Crazy KD
09-15-2009, 19:27
the sled agent said that if that is what the signs says then it don't meet regulations/code (i forgot the word she used) however she asked where it was located and i couldn't give an answer.

Dreher Island on Lake Murray definitely has one. From my memory Devils Fork also has one. I was just at Hunting Island this weekend and didn't see one there, but I honestly wasn't looking for it.

I thought about getting my picture taken beside the one at Dreher, but thought better of it.

Crazy KD
09-15-2009, 19:30
ok here is a link for you...

http://southcarolinaparks.com/camp/boat_in_camping.aspx

Here is a cut/paste of two items dear to my heart (not fireworks!):
- Alcoholic Beverages are prohibited at all State Park grounds and facilities.
- Firearms and fireworks are also prohibited within all state parks.

hpj3
09-17-2009, 16:40
OK - the answer: Bob had it right... you CAN carry in state parks - but NOT into the buildings therein. A "No Firearms" sign at the entrance (other than a building) has no effect in law.

Howard

Crazy KD
09-17-2009, 18:55
So here is an interpretation question. We rent cabins which are 2 or 3 bedroom houses within the parks. Technically speaking that is a building within the park, but I think the intent is the public buildings within the park like the welcome center. I would think I could carry inside my cabin.

So next question does a 'shelter' constitute a building? A shelter is a structure that only has a permanent roof but no walls. I would think not....How about a public restroom?

I'm just trying to think of what buildings there are in a normal state park. Other than the welcome center and public restrooms spread across the property they don't normally have any public buildings.

I know I'm splitting hairs and I'm happy I've been legal all these years while inside the parks. I have not carried inside the welcome center....

Glockrunner
09-18-2009, 19:43
So here is an interpretation question. We rent cabins which are 2 or 3 bedroom houses within the parks. Technically speaking that is a building within the park, but I think the intent is the public buildings within the park like the welcome center. I would think I could carry inside my cabin.

So next question does a 'shelter' constitute a building? A shelter is a structure that only has a permanent roof but no walls. I would think not....How about a public restroom?

I'm just trying to think of what buildings there are in a normal state park. Other than the welcome center and public restrooms spread across the property they don't normally have any public buildings.

I know I'm splitting hairs and I'm happy I've been legal all these years while inside the parks. I have not carried inside the welcome center....

If you'll take the time to read the laws at the SLED site I think it might help clear some of this up.

If you have paid the Hotel Tax on the room it is OK in SC to bring your firearm into that room. It really does not destingish between state or just any hotel. Point is that at the time you buy the room it becomes a part of your curtledge(?).

ANY another structures are off limits I think as they could be argued to be buildings.

Read the book, SC Law or ask a lawyer, I ain't one and I don't play one on TV.

Crazy KD
09-19-2009, 19:18
I understand the laws from a high level standpoint, but it is the interpretation of those laws that is the hard part.

For example my employer has a 'no concealed weapons' sign at the guest entrance. It doesn't meet the requirements so I know legally I can carry inside....but....I also know it is my employers right to fire me on the spot if I'm caught carrying a weapon inside. I can legally carry inside, but they can also legally not employee me any longer. So by default I would say my employer is in a stronger position than me in this instance even though I have the law on my side.

My guess is the same is true in the State Parks.

rns-glock37
09-20-2009, 06:28
kdw, your employer is only in the stronger position when it comes to his/her employees not for any customers/guest. the state park situation is different. you are well within your legal right the carry (concealed) within the state parks with a cwp, and into any dwellings that you have paid for the purpose of residing there even if it's just temporary.

Crazy KD
09-20-2009, 19:55
I 100% agree with both of you guys on the legality, but what I'm wondering is their interpretation. For that I'm guessing we would need to ask someone at the state park. If it is their policy to have no firearms present, even though it is legal, it is their right to refuse to rent you a cabin or campsite if you are discovered.

I know I'm splitting hairs and it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other since I already carry inside the parks.

As far as my employeer. As soon as a guest/suppliers/customers/etc enters the building they have to watch a safety video and sign a piece of paper acknowledging they viewed it. In that video it states firearms are not allowed. My company is quirky about some things and this is definitely one of them. They would either cease to do business with the company that person represented or permanently ban that individual from the property.

Glockrunner
09-21-2009, 05:53
I 100% agree with both of you guys on the legality, but what I'm wondering is their interpretation. For that I'm guessing we would need to ask someone at the state park. If it is their policy to have no firearms present, even though it is legal, it is their right to refuse to rent you a cabin or campsite if you are discovered.

I know I'm splitting hairs and it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other since I already carry inside the parks.

As far as my employeer. As soon as a guest/suppliers/customers/etc enters the building they have to watch a safety video and sign a piece of paper acknowledging they viewed it. In that video it states firearms are not allowed. My company is quirky about some things and this is definitely one of them. They would either cease to do business with the company that person represented or permanently ban that individual from the property.

Then just find them on the internet and send them an email if that is how you feel...
I don't understand the comment about the "it doesn't really matter to me".

Either you follow the law and the owners wishes, or you don't.

If you decide not to follow it shouldn't be discussed here.

Crazy KD
09-21-2009, 18:16
Either you follow the law and the owners wishes, or you don't.

If you decide not to follow it shouldn't be discussed here.

You do see the duality of your post? I can't follow both the owners wish and the law. Therefore, I am trying to have a discussion here of what people generally think and the ramifications of each direction. From your postings I assume you take a strictly legal interpretation which is perfectly fine.

hpj3
10-05-2009, 22:07
<snipped>

----------------------------------------
Re: State Parks:

SECTION 23-31-510. Prohibition against regulation of certain matters.
No governing body of any county, municipality, or other political subdivision in this State may enact or promulgate any regulation or ordinance which regulates or attempts to regulate the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying, or transportation of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, or any combination of these things.
----------------------------------
Simple answer - state parks cannot regulate/control carry. The state has total jurisdiction - period.
SECTION 23-31-230. Carrying concealed weapons between automobile and accommodation.
Notwithstanding any provision of law, any person may carry a concealable weapon from an automobile or other motorized conveyance to a room or other accommodation he has rented and upon which an accommodations tax has been paid.
You rent the cabin - you've paid the tax and the park has, again, no jurisdiction.
Glockrunner always has a good handle on the law... he won't say it's so if he has any doubt... he'll check it out first. (Hey Bobby!)

Howard :50cal:

hpj3
10-05-2009, 22:22
You do see the duality of your post? I can't follow both the owners wish and the law. Therefore, I am trying to have a discussion here of what people generally think and the ramifications of each direction. From your postings I assume you take a strictly legal interpretation which is perfectly fine.
-------------------------------
No "duality" at all... the law re: state parks and private employers are two totally separate things... and your relationship with your employer is another issue completely. Your employer can have a legal sign posted but if he grants you permission to carry that's between you and him. You can, therefore, follow both the law and the owners wish. In the case of the sign at a state park, the laws of the state overrule any desires of the local management as referenced above. I think you'll find that the vast majority of those signs are old leftovers from pre-ccw days.

In the case of buildings on park grounds (other than rented cabins/campsite), an enclosed restroom facility is (currently) covered, however, a simple "rain shelter" (roof, no walls) would be difficult to classify as a building.

JMHO

Howard :brickwall:

Glockrunner
10-06-2009, 08:35
----------------------------------------
Re: State Parks:

SECTION 23-31-510. Prohibition against regulation of certain matters.
No governing body of any county, municipality, or other political subdivision in this State may enact or promulgate any regulation or ordinance which regulates or attempts to regulate the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying, or transportation of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, or any combination of these things.
Simple answer - state parks cannot regulate/control carry. The state has total jurisdiction - period.
SECTION 23-31-230. Carrying concealed weapons between automobile and accommodation.
Notwithstanding any provision of law, any person may carry a concealable weapon from an automobile or other motorized conveyance to a room or other accommodation he has rented and upon which an accommodations tax has been paid.
You rent the cabin - you've paid the tax and the park has, again, no jurisdiction.
Glockrunner always has a good handle on the law... he won't say it's so if he has any doubt... he'll check it out first. (Hey Bobby!)

Howard :50cal:

Hey Howard,
But you added the final answer, well done!