What food do you take to the woods for an all day hunt [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What food do you take to the woods for an all day hunt

Dalton Wayne
09-06-2009, 02:01
I take a couple MRE'S a camel bak 3L that will hold me over, I also take two GPS a compass and fire starter Kit two way frs radio with ten mile range back to base camp and first aid kit with snakebite kit. :cool:
Regards
DW

CanyonMan
09-06-2009, 07:31
Man. You sure got me beat. I usually, (for 'one day' in the field), take my gun, a few bullets in my pocket, and a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich, and a pocket full of deer or beef jerky. ;)

CanyonMan

Dalton Wayne
09-06-2009, 07:58
We have jungle like forest down here you can go 20' off trail and get lost so I prep so that don't happen to me AGAIN.
Regards
DW

Zombie Steve
09-06-2009, 11:50
Cliff bars and / or trail mix are the mainstay, mainly because they are easy. If I'm sitting in a blind all day, that opens up some possibilities. I've done boiled eggs in something like this:

http://media.rei.com/media/696008Lrg.jpg

Sandwiches, MRE's, jerky... heck, even a Snickers bar is good for some quick energy.

CanyonMan
09-06-2009, 12:56
We have jungle like forest down here you can go 20' off trail and get lost so I prep so that don't happen to me AGAIN.
Regards
DW

Pard, I digress ! If I lived where you do, I would want to have all the stuff you mentioned in your first post ! ;)

Over my years of guiding, we did have a very ample supply of everthing. But that was more than a one day trek in the high country. In those cases, it is wise to take even what you think "you won't need," cause ya just might.

I was sorta pickin on ya there a minute ago, ( in fun of course). I take a compass and a good supply of water and dried food, (and jerky), and first aid kit, 'when in the rockies'. I must admit, they are all in small quanities, for a day or two. Bigger quanity, 'if longer obviously'. But here on the ranch. A sandwhich and jerky get ya through the day fine. Especially if your on horse back, or atv back. (the latter, 'atv', I try real hard to avoid) !

Hey good luck to ya in that swampy country. More Nam, is not what I call a good time. I kinda like dry country, where I can see. ;)

Stay safe
Good hunting

CanyonMan

noway
09-06-2009, 16:56
3 cans of process chicken meat or vienna sausage and like CanyonMan a pack of Jerky. If I'm hunting I'm not worrying about food ;)

Now on a few ocassions, I might brings somes hardboil eggs or something high in protein like a bag of peanut or cashews if I want to upgrade ;)

CanyonMan
09-06-2009, 17:12
3 cans of process chicken meat or vienna sausage and like CanyonMan a pack of Jerky. If I'm hunting I'm not worrying about food ;)

Now on a few ocassions, I might brings somes hardboil eggs or something high in protein like a bag of peanut or cashews if I want to upgrade ;)

Yeh, I forgot about the vienna 's and the HB eggs, I like those too. Those do tend to cause me to stay waaay down wind of the game though... And friends as well sometimes.... Gaaaasss :wow: ha.

Hope your doing well Amigo !

CanyonMan

vafish
09-07-2009, 19:00
I usually pack half a dozen granola bars, some beef or venison jerky, and if it's really going to be all day a couple of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

chevy01234
09-07-2009, 22:12
usually just some jerky or a sandwich and nabs. Also take a couple gatorades or water

citori59
09-08-2009, 04:04
Ever since I was a kid an hunted with my dad, I have always taken a peanut butter sandwich and a milky way bar.

GeorgiaGlockMan
09-11-2009, 02:45
If I am deer hunting on my place, I plan on sitting in a tree all day long from sun-up to sun-down and usually call 5-10 minutes out for both lunch and dinner.

I'll usually load up and take a couple of bottles of water, a couple of granola bars or cliff bar for snacks, bag of peanuts, maybe some PB and crackers, little bag of grapes and a sandwich or 2 (4 pieces of bread and a couple of pacs of mayo or mustard in a zipper bag with meat and cheese in a separate one).

I am usually pretty hungry after that so I bring back-up snacks and leave them in the truck with a couple bottles of gatorade and extra water (for washing up if needed).

I'd rather have the food and not eat than go hungry. Plus there is always the chance that you'll have to wait out a bleeding deer or skin one before going home.

Good luck!

ETA - If I plan ahead, I'll usually freeze at least one of the bottles of water to keep everything nice and cool in my pack.

Usingmyrights
09-11-2009, 21:11
Man. You sure got me beat. I usually, (for 'one day' in the field), take my gun, a few bullets in my pocket, and a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich, and a pocket full of deer or beef jerky. ;)

CanyonMan

Do you take any primers, powder, and casings to go with those bullets?

CanyonMan
09-12-2009, 06:58
Do you take any primers, powder, and casings to go with those bullets?

Yeh, usually i got those, and also pack my RCBS Rock Chucker press on my pack mule as well, and a few extra dies. Heck some times I even take a few extra guns with me and a spare saddle.

FYI, the 'spare bullets' in the pocket, are for my hand gun, in case I feel like doing a little playin before I get back to the house. I've never needed more than one out of the rifle for a deer, or whtever I am hunting on the place.

What a question Hoss. :dunno:

CanyonMan

allhowl
09-12-2009, 10:28
Good to see I'm not the only one who depends on Clif Bars. Fact is I eat one every morning for breakfast so I don't get hungry before lunch. Also like to ppack a peanut butter sandwich & boiled eggs, besides a Clif Bar & some jerky too.

Ak.Hiker
09-12-2009, 19:57
Yeh, I forgot about the vienna 's and the HB eggs, I like those too. Those do tend to cause me to stay waaay down wind of the game though... And friends as well sometimes.... Gaaaasss :wow: ha.

Hope your doing well Amigo !

CanyonMan

Don't forget the beenie weenies to go with those vienna's and HB eggs.

CanyonMan
09-13-2009, 17:33
Don't forget the beenie weenies to go with those vienna's and HB eggs.

LOL.

You got that right...................... ;)

CM

Usingmyrights
09-16-2009, 23:51
Yeh, usually i got those, and also pack my RCBS Rock Chucker press on my pack mule as well, and a few extra dies. Heck some times I even take a few extra guns with me and a spare saddle.

FYI, the 'spare bullets' in the pocket, are for my hand gun, in case I feel like doing a little playin before I get back to the house. I've never needed more than one out of the rifle for a deer, or whtever I am hunting on the place.

What a question Hoss. :dunno:

CanyonMan

It was just a joke. On a more serious note, I believe in having a few extra rounds with you. I know a guy who went to check his feeders and of course carried his gun with him just in case. He ended up shooting one deer from about 25yds away and it dropped almost instantly. He walked over to it, and another deer came down the same trail the other one had come down and was only about 15yds away. He actually saw a 3rd deer, but only had 2 rounds with him and 2 is the bag limit anyways. Point being is that you never know, so be prepared

CanyonMan
09-17-2009, 05:34
It was just a joke. On a more serious note, I believe in having a few extra rounds with you. I know a guy who went to check his feeders and of course carried his gun with him just in case. He ended up shooting one deer from about 25yds away and it dropped almost instantly. He walked over to it, and another deer came down the same trail the other one had come down and was only about 15yds away. He actually saw a 3rd deer, but only had 2 rounds with him and 2 is the bag limit anyways. Point being is that you never know, so be prepared

Could'nt agree more....

CM