Help me choose a rifle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a rifle

mholl26
09-08-2009, 21:00
I am new to hunting but not to shooting. I am left handed and getting ready to purchase a hunting rifle. Right now I have three good options:

1. Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Left hand. No scope. $500

2. Sako L61R Finnbear 7mm Mag Right hand. Leupold vari III $875

3. Sako 75 7mm Mag Right hand. Leupold Vari x II $875

Which is the best for the action, durability, accuracy and value?

Thanks for any help.

minnshooter
09-09-2009, 05:57
I would look hard for a Savage in one of those calibers. Savage is an excellent value, has a great trigger and are extremely accurate. The price is good and you can spend more on glass or ammo.

But of those 3 my vote would be for the Tikka and look hard at Burris Optics.

MrMurphy
09-09-2009, 07:30
All 3 are good rifles. I would favor the Tikka. But I too would look at Savage's left-hand line.

Gary Brommeland
09-17-2009, 08:04
The first question I would have to ask before fully answering your question, is "what are you going to hunt"? The next would be "in what kind of terrain"?

Having asked that, of the rifles you listed I believe the Tikkas to be the best choice for the money and more than adequate for any application suited to a bolt action, so long as you pick an appropriate caliber and can shoot it well. In fact, I'll stick my neck out a bit and say that I believe the Tikkas to be the best hunting rifles available for the money. If you want to spend a little more on a fancier rifle, then go with either of the Sakos, but anything that you shoot with it won't be any deader......

As far as a caliber choice goes, here's where it gets a bit trickier - I'd have to know what you are hunting before offering an opinion....

sourdough44
09-17-2009, 12:36
Left handed 308 would be a good choice.

havensal
09-18-2009, 04:45
I'll put in my vote for Savage. :wavey:

Mine are all great rifles.

Save money on the gun and invest it in the scope.

A great rifle will be held back by poor glass.

Put your eye up to a bunch and look at the difference in clarity and focus between the good ones and the el cheapo's.

I am a fan of the Bushnell Elite series. I have a couple of 3200 series scopes that work great for me. :cool:

mholl26
09-18-2009, 15:49
Thanks for all the suggestions. Any recommendations for good glass besides the Leupold and Burris?

Gary Brommeland
09-18-2009, 17:30
Thanks for all the suggestions. Any recommendations for good glass besides the Leupold and Burris?

If you are looking for a moderately priced scope, the three scope mfgr's that I would recommend for a top quality hunting rifle are Leupold, Burris and Pentax Lightseekers
If you have more money to spend, Swarovsky, Zeiss, Kahles and US Optics are all nice too, but IMO you are spending a lot more money for a little more performance.

I would avoid the lower priced scopes made by everyone. The Leupold VX II is as low as I would go in the Leupold line, the standard Lightseeker in Pentax and the Fullfield II in Burris (which, if you have a tight budget is a great deal on a very functional scope. They have OK glass and are very durable)

Every scope I presently own is either a Burris or Leupold (except for a Bushnell and a Nikon mounted on .22's). It has been my experience that cheap scopes are a huge mistake and a waste of $, and super expensive scopes are just too much money spent for too little gain in performance.

There are other good scopes out there for sure, but these are the ones that I have used and trust. Good luck!

major
09-23-2009, 20:00
The first question I would have to ask before fully answering your question, is "what are you going to hunt"? The next would be "in what kind of terrain"?

As far as a caliber choice goes, here's where it gets a bit trickier - I'd have to know what you are hunting before offering an opinion....

Smartest post yet........this gentleman knows what he is talking about.

snewsoG22
09-25-2009, 12:53
depends on your situation but i would not discount a Marlin 336 in 30-30 with a small power variable scope and leverevolution ammo.

works well for me and i have a Rem. 700, just prefer the handiness of the lever gun.

fgutie35
09-25-2009, 13:10
I'm also a Savage voter but for 500 bucks, you can't beat the Tikka, also .308 is more than enough caliber for your purpose and any terrain since it can be use in brush unlike one of the smaller calibers. I paid $625 for my Savage back in 2001, but then again mine is a varminter stainless steel chambered in 30-06 (accurate like most of those $5k rifles). For glass, I have a Weaver Grand Slam that has been very reliable and clear. I don't know how they make them know, since they changed owners, but I have also heard good things about Bushnell's Elite 3200 (the older ones) and Mueller.Nikon Monarchs are also very good. Expect to spend as much on the glass as you did on the rifle if not more, to get descent performance.:cool:

Esox357
09-25-2009, 17:44
Tikka all the way. You can't buy better for the money in my opinion. Esox357.

CanyonMan
09-26-2009, 19:30
I am new to hunting but not to shooting. I am left handed and getting ready to purchase a hunting rifle. Right now I have three good options:

1. Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Left hand. No scope. $500

2. Sako L61R Finnbear 7mm Mag Right hand. Leupold vari III $875

3. Sako 75 7mm Mag Right hand. Leupold Vari x II $875

Which is the best for the action, durability, accuracy and value?

Thanks for any help.

I have never owned the models you name here. But, I have and owned, the Winchester, Rugers, and Remington. My favorite is the Remington 700.

Point here with me is. I like your choice in caliber. I have been shooting the 7mm rem mag for so many years i can't remember.

Perhaps consider a more quality rifle. ;)

Good luck.

Edited to note.... On the glass. Ever since I went with middle high end $$ wise Zeiss, I would never look back. Great scope in every way.

CM

countryrebel
10-01-2009, 13:30
The Tikka T3 hands down. Best rifle I have ever owned. I will buy more Tikka's before anything else. I am that impressed with them.