Woods [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Woods

RWBlue
09-09-2009, 18:31
In the DC area, looking to spend some time in the woods camping.

Recommendations please.

Aroooo
09-10-2009, 12:10
What kind of camping? Regular family tent camping, backpacking, primitive? There are lots of good places in the Northern VA area.

Olivers_AR
09-10-2009, 15:11
Local places like Lake Fairfax has overnight camping. Places like the Cove in Winchester, VA has a longer term camping with a shooting area.

16-17
09-10-2009, 17:02
My camping days have been over for a while but we used to enjoy Skyline Drive out in Shenandoah Park. Big Meadow area in particular. Nice views, plenty of trails to hike... and you can walk to the lodge for a nice dinner when you get sick of the can of beans on the campfire! Couple of hours out of DC. :eagle:

alien-Glocker
09-10-2009, 19:03
Burke Lake, Sky Meadows and many places along the Virginia's Appalachian Trail in VA and MD. Many of our scouts have repaired sections of the trail and shelters as projects.

RWBlue
09-10-2009, 23:01
What kind of camping? Regular family tent camping, backpacking, primitive? There are lots of good places in the Northern VA area.

Good question.

I am single, so although I have camped in a state/fed campgrounds, for the most part it is not my thing.

Camping out of the back of a vehicle in an area with no body else around is fine with me.

Backpacking, is not really my thing. I would need to be in better shape to do this, but I might be willing to walk a little way from the vehicle with everything on my back.

I would love to find a spot to go canoe camping again. I got a kick out of BWCA every time I go there.

Tweek's Turbos
09-11-2009, 14:23
I know some spots "off the beaten path" so to speak. Check p.m.