Offered a ride while out jogging this morning [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Offered a ride while out jogging this morning

BikerGoddess
10-28-2002, 07:56
I go for a walk/jog several times a week at 5. This morning, a guy stops to ask if I need a ride ;P

I was in front of the fire station when he passed. Right past me, he honked, then turned around and came back to ask if he could give me a ride somewhere. I'm in running attire with a Walkman and there's no broken down car in sight. ;Q

I noted his license plate number (they're in the front too in Texas), said "No." and waited until he turned around again before continuing. Thought about stopping at the Citgo and reporting it, but figured he hadn't done anything yet, so I'd just keep the info and watch the crime reports.

Think I should give up on the outdoor activities for awhile or change my route or just plan to give him a nasty surprise should I see him again?

Laura

ExxoticOne
10-28-2002, 08:18
Hi Laura,

I'm an avid outdoor exerciser myself...had something really scary happen to me (that's how I came to own a Glock). Anyways...I wouldn't modify your lifestyle around this particular incident. I would change my route and perhaps vary the times slightly so "he" doesn't follow you home or know your schedule. Carry some mace and let that "print" through your shirt or whatever. Bring along a charged cell phone, you can always jot down the plate number using the scratch pad feature on the phone. I posted something on one of Shoeless' threads...you may want to check her thread regarding "creepy guys on my walk"....i think this is the link...

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=106045&highlight=creepy+guys+on+my+walk

AAshooter
10-28-2002, 08:20
Seriously, he may have just been trying to help . . . some people are pretty clueless. He may not of made the running connection. Play it safe anyway.

techie
10-28-2002, 08:33
Originally posted by AAshooter
Seriously, he may have just been trying to help . . . some people are pretty clueless. He may not of made the running connection. Play it safe anyway.

I was thinking the same thing...but maybe she thought this way about him because of his demeanor. I don't mean to make light of what you experienced Laura but from what you've described it seemed like a harmless encounter. Was there something else about what happened that bothered you?

BikerGoddess
10-28-2002, 08:53
It'll sound stupid though....

Right before this (maybe 100 yards) a rabbit ran out to the sidewalk and stopped for about 5 seconds and looked at me. He ran straight back (perpendicular to the street) into some weeds. About 25 feet later I see a rabbit again who runs along the sidewalk for a bit then veers off back into the lot.

I have never seen rabbits out here before and I know there's a large population of feral cats nearby. What freaked me out was that I was wondering if they (it) were some sort of sign or something, then 100 yards later this happens. (Too much John Edward, I'm afraid)

One other thing that stood out to me was that the guy's voice didn't match what he was driving (I swear I'm not doing drugs). It was very well modulated and cultured and seemed out of place.

I don't want to discourage anyone from stopping to help people, but I guess I don't understand how he could think it was a good idea to stop, given the circumstances.

Laura

techie
10-28-2002, 09:01
Originally posted by BikerGoddess
It'll sound stupid though.......

Well you were there and you gotta go on your own instincts; arm chair quarterbacking is not good enough in what can be a life and death situation.

AAshooter
10-28-2002, 09:04
Trust those instincts . . . that's 1,000,000 years of evolution working on your side.

piersol
10-28-2002, 10:28
Maybe he just wanted to meet you, and he figured that would be the easiest way? Just a thought.

PatrolMom
10-28-2002, 13:53
1. Cell phone..check
2. Pepper spray..check
3. Running shoes..check
4. Gut radar on..check
5. Changing routes..check
6. Big mouth God gave ya..check

Okay, now yer ready. Pay particular attention to #4. When your brain fails ya, yer gut won't. Listen up! ;f

QB
10-28-2002, 18:18
May have been innocent but I somehow doubt it. There are lots of joggers in the Dallas area (they're everyone ;Q) that are out early in the morning. The fact that you:

(1) were wearing jogging clothes
(2) had on a walkman
(3) were out in the early morning hours (which is a favorite time for joggers in this area)

makes it hard for me to think that this person was trying to be "helpful".

I am surprised, however, that he'd honk, especially in front of a firestation.

Asking someone if they need a ride is somewhat of an unusual occurance in the DFW area I think (just based on my personal opinion after having lived here since 1973). Thinking that a woman would actually get into his car is beyond belief which again makes me leary of his intentions. Again just based on the fact that I don't know one guy that would think he could offer a ride to a stranger (woman) and actually have her accept (well.....my dad does but he's 81 and lives in a much different world than we do...).

As sad as it is, we're living in a world where you just can't perform random acts of kindness anymore.

Certainly I'd just keep the license plate tucked away but then again, what if this guy later harms some other female? What a tough call....gets down to gut feeling about the person. I called the Carrollton police about a suspicious guy once and told them that I just wanted to call so that it would be a matter of record (I didn't file a complaint or anything but I guess my phone call itself is logged or something). They seemed appreciative that I let them know although I made it clear that it was just a "feeling" I had and nothing more.

I used to have a job where we were told to vary our route to/from work among other things. I'd think that you would certainly want to change your route and/or time for a while at least.

PatrolMom
10-29-2002, 07:24
Originally posted by QB
May have been innocent but I somehow doubt it. There are lots of joggers in the Dallas area (they're everyone ;Q) that are out early in the morning. The fact that you:

(1) were wearing jogging clothes
(2) had on a walkman
(3) were out in the early morning hours (which is a favorite time for joggers in this area)

makes it hard for me to think that this person was trying to be "helpful".

I am surprised, however, that he'd honk, especially in front of a firestation.

Asking someone if they need a ride is somewhat of an unusual occurance in the DFW area I think (just based on my personal opinion after having lived here since 1973). Thinking that a woman would actually get into his car is beyond belief which again makes me leary of his intentions. Again just based on the fact that I don't know one guy that would think he could offer a ride to a stranger (woman) and actually have her accept (well.....my dad does but he's 81 and lives in a much different world than we do...).

As sad as it is, we're living in a world where you just can't perform random acts of kindness anymore.

Certainly I'd just keep the license plate tucked away but then again, what if this guy later harms some other female? What a tough call....gets down to gut feeling about the person. I called the Carrollton police about a suspicious guy once and told them that I just wanted to call so that it would be a matter of record (I didn't file a complaint or anything but I guess my phone call itself is logged or something). They seemed appreciative that I let them know although I made it clear that it was just a "feeling" I had and nothing more.

I used to have a job where we were told to vary our route to/from work among other things. I'd think that you would certainly want to change your route and/or time for a while at least.

QB, you hit several nails on the head. The one that rises to the top is the fact that what man in his right mind would be asking a woman to get in his car and expect that she do so, in this day and age?

I think BGs BS meter was dead on.

BikerGoddess
10-29-2002, 07:49
QB - he was around my age and I would guess Mexican by looks, but his voice really surprised me. Not a hint of an accent (although all he said was "Do you need a lift?").

The firestation apparently has a 'changing of the guards' around 5 and it was probably 5:10 by the time I made it that far. The honk was more of a beep like people do when someone's jacking around in their car and not watching the lights :). He turned around at the break in the median to get to the station house and came back.

I did think about how the next girl might not be prepared if he hadn't accepted 'No', but I didn't really see any way to prevent it. He asked if I needed a ride. Hardly criminal. And they've not indicated a serial rapist in my area for about a year now. I'll hang onto the description for awhile, just in case.

This morning I stayed inside and did a tape instead. I'll head out later tomorrow morning on a different course (normal route is around the block, but part of that is access road for a highway and gets really, really busy at 6). Someone would be hard pressed to follow my schedule closely, though, since I'm not sure what I'm doing until I do it ;)

Thanks for the advice.
Laura

Kilroy
10-29-2002, 10:08
Intuition strikes again. You made some good observations and probably have some unconcious ones that figure into this as well.
Good thinking, good analysis and good tactics.

One thing noted by cop killers and the co-workers of the murdered officers was the diligent efforts of the victims to find the "good" in everyone. Every person is not always good, some are just plain evil and many you can't find out about unless you are their victim.

Glock21Owner
10-29-2002, 11:17
I think that from this one instance there's too little to judge this guy on. Guys look for opportunities to meet women, and even though this came off as a little strange (you were jogging after all), I wouldn't be quick to label him a Ted Bundy.

Scarlett
10-30-2002, 11:37
Just a thought...

Back in the days when I was a 'ho for the city, working vice, guys stopping and asking lone ladies if they needed a ride was the street talk opener for further negotiations. In our area, the working girls often wear workout clothes as an excuse for walking up and down the same sidewalk 256 times in an hour, when the police stop and ask them why they seem to be in the same area all the time. "I'm not loitering, Officer, this is a part of my exercise program recommended by my personal trainer, Pimp Daddy G."

BK, I'm saying you look like a working girl, but hope and other things spring eternal in a, uh, lonely guy's mind. He may have thought he'd give it a shot, so to speak, if you don't do the street response thing, he knows you're not working. Many of the guys who got popped for solicitation would say, dang it, I knew she was a cop but I had to give it a try.

Especially given your intuition about him...of all the guys I dealt with back in the vice days, there was just something about the way the players looked out of their eyes, their body language and demeanor that wasn't the same as a good samaritan.

Be careful out there!
Scarlett

agtman
10-30-2002, 17:04
"Do you need a lift?"

I agree with Glock21Owner - the question itself is pretty neutral, absent a factual context or apparent circumstance that suggests it's really a pretext for something sinister (like if you'd approached the car and saw a knife on the front seat or if he followed you). So, yeah, I wouldn't assume that every guy who makes a courteous gesture is another Ted Bundy. (That's the kind of broad-brush, collectivistic labeling that man-hating feminists engage in).

Still, with something like this you have to go with what your "gut" tells you (or is it "intuition"? ;) ). It's always better to be safe than sorry. So no one can say you made the "wrong" decision by declining his offer.

BikerGoddess
10-30-2002, 18:04
Originally posted by agtman
Still, with something like this you have to go with what your "gut" tells you (or is it "intuition"? ;) ). It's always better to be safe than sorry. So no one can say you made the "wrong" decision by declining his offer.

Well, at the very least it defeats the purpose of running ;f

Actually, I was wondering if it were enough to change my route/schedule for. Routes are fairly limited and most of them don't have street lights, so I don't like those this time of year. But I'm not too keen on being attacked, either, even if it's well-lit ;)

I hadn't thought about the prostitute angle (oddly enough) but it does kinda seem to fit. 5am seems a strange time, but I can't say I really know much about that.

Laura

PatrolMom
10-30-2002, 20:14
[B]Well, at the very least it defeats the purpose of running ;f

/B]

Hahahahahaha! That's my favorite way to run! hehe;f ;P

Dogbite
11-01-2002, 18:35
I tend to throw the "rabbit" idea out the window,but i would stay alert when jogging--because it sounds strange-The guy asking if he can drive you somewhere.If i were you,i would not even get near the vehicle.;)

Kolchak
11-02-2002, 09:31
Most of the suggestions given have been right on, but I would
suggest that you lose the Walkman. Keep your ears and your eyes
open. Move away from any situation that feels bad without staying
around to find out if you are right. Trust no one. Better to err on
the side of caution than to find out, too late, that you were right.

Take care and stay safe.

BikerGoddess
11-02-2002, 17:00
I've heard about the headphones blocking important noises, so I have earbuds that allow external noise and I don't turn the volume up very high. But you have to understand that I already don't like exercising and not having music would probably mean that I quit going altogether.

Laura

glocksmith02
11-02-2002, 20:02
OK, I know that I look at the world through a different perspective than most folks, but how about finding a friend to jog with. Safety in numbers and all that... Besides which, this is Glocktalk remember, if you have to smoke the guy at some point, you are bringing a witness.

Gary F
11-03-2002, 19:41
Originally posted by PatrolMom
1. Cell phone..check
2. Pepper spray..check
3. Running shoes..check
4. Gut radar on..check
5. Changing routes..check
6. Big mouth God gave ya..check

Okay, now yer ready. Pay particular attention to #4. When your brain fails ya, yer gut won't. Listen up! ;f
7. KelTec P-32 .. check?? - after all ... this is exactly what the KelTec is designed for ... when you can only carry something small & light! ;f
Only problem is that the p-32 accuracy may not be good enough to take out those there rabbits ;P

peace, gary

LinuxBoy
11-03-2002, 21:52
Speaking on behalf of clueless guys everywhere, I must admit that I've thought more than once about offering a girl a lift even when it's obvious she's exercising.

One particular lady was even on a bike. :)

My higher brain functions kicked in (the noise woke dogs within a three mile radius) and I managed to overcome the impulse with only moderate residual drool.

On a more serious note, I'd recommend that you at least leave one ear unoccupied by music while outside running. If you're using an indoor facility it isn't as much of a problem, but if you're outdoors, you may want to leave one ear unimpeded.

From what you've said, you did exactly the right thing in exactly the right way. Change your patterns, remain alert, etc.

On the rabbits and signs: It may have been a sign that you're supposed to have rabbit stew soon, if there's so many of them. Signs and omens can work out in weird ways. ;)

Lew-G17
11-09-2002, 04:40
Follow your gut instincts and consider a fanny pack with a G26 or G27.

Better safe than sorry.

big joe
11-09-2002, 11:10
Bikergoddess, if you weren't so hot you wouldn't have that problem. ;f

mini14god
11-10-2002, 20:45
After reading the other replies,I see that everyone has mostly the same ideas. But if you go and start changing aspects of your life,then the "bad guys" win. Although I personally never needed much of a reason to not go running (5 or 6 Seargents would routinely dump my rack over to get me to PT formation when I was in the Marines!)But believe me we appreciate seeing you females out there keeping in good shape,JUST PLAYING WITH YOU!!Aren't Texas people just naturally friendly? Anyway, my guess would be either he was clueless or horny! Unless other events in your area dictate a cautionary response,I'd blow it off. But I would carry some form of protection be it gun,mace,pepper spray or Doberman! You are rather vulnerable while running...no place to hide weapons,tired from running and can't put up a fight!

BikerGoddess
11-11-2002, 07:39
If anyone appreciates my looks that early in the morning, they're seriously hard up...

And yes, people are friendly in Texas, just not very helpful. It's somewhat unusual for someone to stop to offer help. Not impossible, just out of the ordinary.

I carry a knife. The doberman's too heavy ;) And refusing to take safeguards is a really good way for the bad guys to win.

Laura

Glenn E. Meyer
11-11-2002, 09:48
It was weird and is a common victim approach technique. He was seeing how intimidated you were and if you would seem docile if you took the ride.

Carry a gun. Run the other way from the way the car is facing even if you are going the wrong way. If he turns, you know he is a predator.
Take out your cell phone, immediately.

Carry a Surefire - like an Executive E2 and light him up when he stops.

Things like that. There is a literature on victim approach and this falls right in it.

SlimKim
11-13-2002, 00:20
BikerGoddess, why do you carry a knife? Can't you carry a gun? I know that the required training for a CCW in Texas is expensive but isn't it worth it? Otherwise, I'ld suggest you put your doberman on a diet and carry him.

I think your reaction was correct. In todays America, always assume the other guy wants to do you harm. If you're wrong, he'll get over it (and think you're an a..hole but, who cares?); if you're right, you at least have a fighting chance.

A sad philosophy but a realistic one.

Gary F
11-13-2002, 00:49
Originally posted by SlimKim
BikerGoddess, why do you carry a knife? Can't you carry a gun? I know that the required training for a CCW in Texas is expensive but isn't it worth it? Otherwise, I'ld suggest you put your doberman on a diet and carry him.

I think your reaction was correct. In todays America, always assume the other guy wants to do you harm. If you're wrong, he'll get over it (and think you're an a..hole but, who cares?); if you're right, you at least have a fighting chance.

A sad philosophy but a realistic one.

i already inquired about carrying the p-32 (when not practical to carry something larger); it's sort of incomprehensible why someone would even consider buying a kel-tec p-32 if they don't have a carry permit! i mean it's not exactly a home defense weapon of choice! ;L
peace, gary

SlimKim
11-13-2002, 02:21
Why even consider the P-32? If one is constrained in their carry options, I have yet to see any usefull gun smaller than the KelTec P-11. It's my summer carry gun (1/2 T-shirts & shorty cut-offs). 10+1 rounds of 9mm in next-to-nude dress just can't be beat.

BikerGoddess
11-13-2002, 07:22
I do have a Kel-Tec P32. I don't carry it because I wear bike shorts when I run and it has a bad habit of sliding around. The knife has a clip, so it doesn't go anywhere. Fanny pack bounces too much.

Have had the CHL since May, just choose not to carry it when jogging. Have it all other times. Don't really have a dog. Some people see them as tools, I see them as living beings. Not fair to lock them up in an apartment all day. Plus, I'm not the alpha, so it could get ugly.

I did consider the P11, but it hurts to shoot and I know I wouldn't ever practice with it. Now, if someone were to say, send me one for Christmas, I'd certainly work it into my routine.... ;)

Laura

echo
11-13-2002, 19:26
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BikerGoddess
[B]It'll sound stupid though....

Nope, you were there, we weren't. If something doesn't feel right, trust your gut. If the bunnies aren't there normally, then something made them flush out...that spoke to you, you picked up on that. Woman have spent a lot of there life making excuses for things, we just plain need to start trusting ourselves again. We all have instincts, I say use them. As it turned out, you were fine. Good. But don't get into the habit of thinking yourself foolish when your alarms go off. Listen to them and trust yourself.

Take care.

Gary F
11-14-2002, 02:34
... the KelTec P-11. It's my summer carry gun (1/2 T-shirts & shorty cut-offs). 10+1 rounds of 9mm in next-to-nude dress just can't be beat.

How can i disagree??!! ;N

BikerGoddess
11-14-2002, 07:49
Today a different guy stopped to ask if I needed a ride. What's up with that?

So I'm thinking I'm either going to buy a treadmill or get a shirt made up that says "I know it looks painful, but I'm ok. Keep driving."

I find this whole intuition thing fascinating. He caught my attention the first time he drove past, but I have no idea why. I'm cognizant of all the cars around me, of course, but I don't usually pay them special attention. (Until they turn around twice ;))

I'm kinda curious about the prostitute thing. The area south of me, across the highway, is less than ideal and getting worse and I wonder if maybe that's the deal. Having not been a prostitute before, though, I don't know what guys look for (and therefore something I can quit doing). Also, is it common that early in the morning? It's pretty quiet at 5am, but I've been called naive before :)

Laura

Glock21Owner
11-14-2002, 08:14
Hookers don't jog. You're very attractive. Guys try to make conversation, even at 5am. I'm off to work at 5:30, and though I probably wouldn't offer you a ride (not my style) I would still smile and wave if I saw you every day.

fnfalman
11-14-2002, 08:44
If you're a halfway decent looking woman, a guy will try to hit on you at any place and any time. I figure that you'd be used to that by now. ;f We can't help it if we like the wimmin folks;a

LinuxBoy
11-14-2002, 08:47
If you ever do need a ride BG, please be sure to let us know. I'm sure a fair number of GlockTalkers would be more than happy to flock to Texas and offer our services. ;W ;W

Does that make us GlockFlockers? ;+

BikerGoddess
11-14-2002, 10:07
lol. Apparently you guys are putting too much faith in my not using PhotoShop to my advantage.

Laura

George.Mack
11-14-2002, 11:00
It'll sound stupid though....

Right before this (maybe 100 yards) a rabbit ran out to the sidewalk and stopped for about 5 seconds and looked at me. He ran straight back (perpendicular to the street) into some weeds. About 25 feet later I see a rabbit again who runs along the sidewalk for a bit then veers off back into the lot.

I have never seen rabbits out here before and I know there's a large population of feral cats nearby. What freaked me out was that I was wondering if they (it) were some sort of sign or something, then 100 yards later this happens. (Too much John Edward, I'm afraid)

One other thing that stood out to me was that the guy's voice didn't match what he was driving (I swear I'm not doing drugs). It was very well modulated and cultured and seemed out of place.

I don't want to discourage anyone from stopping to help people, but I guess I don't understand how he could think it was a good idea to stop, given the circumstances.

Laura

Laura,
Did the rabbit say "come with me Alice, have I got something to show you"?
Just kidding my shot at trying to add a little levity to your situation. I wouldn't change my activities, maybe your route would be a good idea. Stay on your toes, probrably was nothing.

Gary F
11-15-2002, 01:27
maybe you need to stretch more before your morning run! perhaps you are staggering &/or limping & the nice guys are concerned you are in
physical distress? ;a why the women are so indifferent ... and not offering you help, is rather curious!!;+
peace, gary

thinbluline
11-16-2002, 17:28
One of the most dangerous activities a woman can do is jog, at night or in remote areas. This is one of the 50 top behaviors that inmates serving time said they looked for when selecting potential victims.

Fact, 88,000 Registered Sex offenders in California alone.
California only has 79 counties, you do the math.
That is more than 1000 RAPIST, CHILD MOLESTERS, and SEXUAL DEVIANTS running around PER COUNTY! and that is just the ones that they caught, convicted and forced to register.

So, next time you decide to go get healthy, and tune in with your walkman, and tune out while you jog, someone may try to take you on your last ride, and I am not talking Disneyland here.

Many of the predators like Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy,and many others too numerous to list here were nice guys. They used a ruse of needeing help or being a nice guy to get the victims right where they wanted. Others like Hicks and Allan, who met in prison while in the "Pumkin Patch" <---that is where all the sex offenders get housed in orange jumpsuits, made plans while they were servinf time in State Prison. Once parolled thet purchased a blue van, tinted the windows and sound proofed the interior, they added a bed and a rack to handcuff the victims. Then they proceeded to drive around San Diego county and pick up youn teens, or snatch up young women who are alone or jogging. 13 victims later.......
The last days and hours of these girls lives at the hands of these two would make you vomit, so I am not going to go into it here.

Ice pick, Coat hanger and vice grips were used in ways they were not intended, then they recorded them and took polaroids. They would drive around and listen to the screams of the victims and laugh.(These items later led to there conviction and trip to see Dr. Feel good for Lethal Injection.

REMEMBER THIS:

BE FRIENDLY TO EVERYONE, BUT HAVE A PLAN TO KILL EVERYONE YOU MEET.

I second Patrol Mom's threat assessment totally, and that is not just because I THINK SHE IS REALLY HOT!!!. She is right on the money.

Some good info that is around

Look up Gavin DeBecker's books on the web, The gift of fear and others or the www.ACPS.us video entitled, Protecting yourself, you family and your loved ones.

Be aware, have a plan and have some good tools to not end up on a milk carton.

Other than that, the proper diet and execise never hurt any body.:)

SlimKim
11-17-2002, 12:44
I do have a Kel-Tec P32. I don't carry it because I wear bike shorts when I run and it has a bad habit of sliding around. The knife has a clip, so it doesn't go anywhere

Kel-Tecs also come with a clip. I don't have one because I'm left-handed and the clip seems to work for righties only. Still, I'ld rather shoot off-handed than to have to wait until a guy was within cutting range.

I still say you're wise to be suspicious. Maybe you should get some Rambo T-shirts. I often go for a walk in the woods around here and often wear a T-shirt with a "Glock Rocks" or "Gun Control is hitting them with 1 shot" type of T-shirt. No one has found me yet but, if someone were to approach me in the forest asking if I needed help, I'ld stick out my little chest with the Rambo logo on it, move my hand towards my gun (in an unmistakable but legally non-threatening manner) and tell him to buzz off.

Trust your instincts (that's why God gave women a 6th sense) and appologise to no one.

Just my 2 cents.

Gary F
11-17-2002, 13:20
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SlimKim
... Maybe you should get some Rambo T-shirts. I often go for a walk in the woods around here and often wear a T-shirt with a "Glock Rocks" or "Gun Control is hitting them with 1 shot" type of T-shirt...[End Quote]

perhaps the gun-related logo's may at times sway a predator to look elsewhere for a victim. the down side, though, is that you lose the all-important element of surprise; if able to ... the predator may immediately disable you, so that you can not get to that there [B]advertised weapon! the more "up close & personal" ... the less I would want to advertise that i may well have a gun.
JMHO
peace, gary

SlimKim
11-17-2002, 14:09
Gary, I advertise my pro-2nd Amendment Rights when I'm shooting or walking alone through the beautiful mountains of western Virginia. Out in the woods, one can see and hear if anyone is approaching. If I were stupid enough to allow someone to get too close to me under such circumstances (dumb blonde maybe but not that dumb), then nothing would protect me. On the other hand, seeing a man approach me in the forest gives me plenty of time to take appropriate action. If Laura is out jogging at 5am, she should also see anyone approaching and should have time to make a plan. I believe that such a plan should allow for the threat of using a gun as the price for a stranger "helping" a jogging woman.

LinuxBoy
11-17-2002, 14:19
Laura,

A couple of companies make cheststrap holsters that should stay in place and conceal under your shirt. Just leave the front untucked and you can reach up to snag the Kel-Tec P32 at any time. I'll try to find the website and post it tomorrow or PM.

Chris

Gary F
11-17-2002, 15:27
Gary, I advertise my pro-2nd Amendment Rights when I'm shooting or walking alone through the beautiful mountains of western Virginia. Out in the woods, one can see and hear if anyone is approaching. If I were stupid enough to allow someone to get too close to me under such circumstances (dumb blonde maybe but not that dumb), then nothing would protect me. On the other hand, seeing a man approach me in the forest gives me plenty of time to take appropriate action. If Laura is out jogging at 5am, she should also see anyone approaching and should have time to make a plan. I believe that such a plan should allow for the threat of using a gun as the price for a stranger "helping" a jogging woman.

SlimKim:
I sometimes wear my 2Asista's pin "Of course I own a gun ... don't you" or my Sig Academy cap ... but i see it more as 'taking a risk to advertise my belief's', than as a 'deterrent strategy' for dealing with potential predators. Perhaps it's my decrepid vision ;P ... but i have to be pretty darn close to someone to read their shirt. So ... if a stranger offering help ... is about to turn into a vile predator, i still think it's best that they are NOT clued in (at that point/distance) to the probability that you have a weapon. But it's certainly very ok that we disagree ;) ... i still love ya ;f
peace, gary

Eddie C.
11-17-2002, 15:44
PMom your right the gut check and the little voice inside is your guardian angel telling you to pay attention. I don't care what you say when you see someone out in a jogging suit, walkman, sneakers, JOGGING Come-on! Give me a break! This guy is looking for trouble. He's "No Good" Laura. Your momma gave you common sense to watch out for guys like this. He's Bad News. What's he think your doing? He's either an idiot or Bad News. What do you think, Hmmm?

BikerGoddess
11-17-2002, 16:25
I'm not in a huge hurry to carry a gun while jogging and here are my reasons (YMMV):
1) 21' rule. Since I'm already out running, anyone gets closer than that, I'll just run harder...
2) muscle fatigue. you don't have to be very accurate with a knife
3) no decent backstop. I am not going to be the one shooting a kid while he sleeps or a passing motorist
4) sweat. Even if it doesn't impact the operation of the gun, I'd still have to clean it more

I think I might ask for a treadmill for Christmas, though ;f

Laura

LinuxBoy
11-18-2002, 05:55
Originally posted by Eddie C.
PMom your right the gut check and the little voice inside is your guardian angel telling you to pay attention. I don't care what you say when you see someone out in a jogging suit, walkman, sneakers, JOGGING Come-on! Give me a break! This guy is looking for trouble. He's "No Good" Laura. Your momma gave you common sense to watch out for guys like this. He's Bad News. What's he think your doing? He's either an idiot or Bad News. What do you think, Hmmm?

Oh c'mon, that simply isn't fair. There are perfectly good guys who will make a horribly incompetent attempt at a humorous, romantic gesture in an effort to meet an attractive woman. That doesn't necessarily make the guy an idiot or bad news. Most of the time such opportunities arise, us guys chicken out anyway. ;)

Laura did the correct and safe thing. Listen to your instincts and don't get into a car with a stranger, or approach their car closely, under most circumstances. However, we have no basis for condemning the guys in question, or condemning the idea of hitting on a jogger.

BikerGoddess
11-18-2002, 07:36
Ok, for any guy who's thought of hitting on someone exercising - we feel we look like ****, no matter what you think, so it's a really bad time, gym, street, or park..... ;f

What's really sad is that we've come to this: arguing whether or not a guy's a rapist/murderer or geek trying to get a date. No wonder personal ads are so popular; there's not a way to meet people in public anymore.

Laura

Eddie C.
11-18-2002, 11:54
Originally posted by LinuxBoy
Oh c'mon, that simply isn't fair. There are perfectly good guys who will make a horribly incompetent attempt at a humorous, romantic gesture in an effort to meet an attractive woman. That doesn't necessarily make the guy an idiot or bad news. Most of the time such opportunities arise, us guys chicken out anyway. ;)

Laura did the correct and safe thing. Listen to your instincts and don't get into a car with a stranger, or approach their car closely, under most circumstances. However, we have no basis for condemning the guys in question, or condemning the idea of hitting on a jogger.

LinuxBoy If it was ME I would casually pull up to her and explain that although I seemed like in this day and age a stupid thing to do and for Laura maybe even a bit scary but I'm NOT willing to take a chance that we wouldn't run into each other again and possibly blow a chance for possible happiness together. I would then very quickly give her a quick rundown on who I am and how much I would appreciate the chance to meet her in a more appropiate time and place and let her get to know me a little better. I would then give her my name and number and tell her she could pick out the time, place and circumstance for us to get together again. Then bid her adieu and let her continue her run not in fear for her life. That is the grownup thing to do not scare a young lady half to death while she is out alone on a desolate road at 5:00 am. I think Laura would of appreciated the gesture more also. Eddie.

fnfalman
11-18-2002, 12:21
Ok, for any guy who's thought of hitting on someone exercising - we feel we look like ****, no matter what you think, so it's a really bad time, gym, street, or park.....
---------------------------------------------------------------------

BikerGoddess,

I don't know how you look so I will refrain on commenting on your appearance. However, the hot babes at the gym where I work out at look verrrry hoootttttt! They got all sweaty and stuff and see the sweats glistening on their taut skins and pumped up muscles;3 Especially when they're posing in front of mirrors to check out their legs or abs........ay carumba!

So, yes, men will hit on you at any and all occasions. It may be bad timing for you, but for us men, we take whatever opportunities that comes along.