IL castle doctrine? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IL castle doctrine?

lonewolf01
09-12-2009, 08:47
Do I have the right to shoot an intruder in my home in this great state? And, not in Cook county.

Arr6
09-12-2009, 09:00
Yes but not when they are fleeing (i.e in the back) and not when they have left your house. There may be a couple more clauses that apply.

But you basically need two things in any state (from what I know)
1. Be in imminent fear of death or grave bodily harm
2. Stop a forceable felony

ETA: IL is a 'stand your ground' state.

metro273
09-13-2009, 21:50
I have a friend who is a Chicago police officer and he said to make sure that the intruder is in your house and make sure the cops are only able to hear YOUR side of the story!...:supergrin:

volsbear
09-26-2009, 07:14
Yes but not when they are fleeing (i.e in the back) and not when they have left your house. There may be a couple more clauses that apply.

But you basically need two things in any state (from what I know)
1. Be in imminent fear of death or grave bodily harm
2. Stop a forceable felony

ETA: IL is a 'stand your ground' state.

Be real careful interpreting the Illinois castle doctrine principles We are 'stand your ground' in theory only. Many prosecutors are so anti-gun that they'll indict you for protecting yourself. Fortunately, our state's attorney is fairly reasonable.

Last year we had a guy in the town north of me who was sleeping as a young man entered his bedroom window. The man retrieved a very old .38special from his nightstand draw (loaded with 30 year old ammunition) and told the guy as he was halfway through to window to get the hell out of his house. The intruder refused so the homeowner, age approximately 60 or so, shot and killed him. The intruder had no weapon but the prosecutor declined to charge him. In MANY MANY counties in Illinois, the homeowner would've been in big trouble.

mongo356
09-26-2009, 21:25
Be real careful interpreting the Illinois castle doctrine principles We are 'stand your ground' in theory only. Many prosecutors are so anti-gun that they'll indict you for protecting yourself. Fortunately, our state's attorney is fairly reasonable.

Last year we had a guy in the town north of me who was sleeping as a young man entered his bedroom window. The man retrieved a very old .38special from his nightstand draw (loaded with 30 year old ammunition) and told the guy as he was halfway through to window to get the hell out of his house. The intruder refused so the homeowner, age approximately 60 or so, shot and killed him. The intruder had no weapon but the prosecutor declined to charge him. In MANY MANY counties in Illinois, the homeowner would've been in big trouble.

We had a very similar circumstance in my town a few years ago. No one was charged. Town about 60 mi from St. Louis.