Bass boats to seek and avoid? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bass boats to seek and avoid?

Dennis in MA
09-15-2009, 09:51
I'm assuming that all boats are not created equal. I've realized that welded aluminum is better than riveted.

But what brands/styles/etc. have you found are good and bad.

For background, I'm hoping to go used. But in the Northeast, we are salt-water heaven. Freshwater - while plentiful in my locale, is not the norm. So the # of small freshwater boats with the right specs is hard.

I'm looking 14-17' in length. Aluminum for lightness. This is not a hard-use boat. A calm lake is all we will be on. Heck, we've got a 9.9hp restriction, so we wont' be tooling at 40mph anywhere, unless it's falling off the trailer on the way from the seller.

I see ads on Craigslist for 1990's vintage and sometimes 1980's vintage boats for what I think is serious money. Riveted Trackers and such. Are these reliable? Am I buying a pig in a poke? Should I just bite the bullet and buy new.

I did notice that Lowe boats tend to go for more money than Trackers on the used market. Not sure what the diff. is brand-new.

My goal is 2 guys fishing 90% of the time. 10% of the time is a family of 4.5 going for a dink-around pleasure cruise on the lake.

Any advice on what to look for and what to avoid would be great.

Thx!

Big Bird
09-22-2009, 08:45
Dennis,
You want a welded body--not riveted. The rivets leak--eventually. Also, bigger is better. Especially if two people are involved. A smaller boat is more maneuverable. But a bigger boat is a lot more stable when two guys are standing up fishing on the front and rear deck. I have a Triton 19' and its OK for 2 guys but I wish I had a 21'

Bass Pro markets a very nice 17.5 aluminum boat with a 90 HP Evinrude that I think you can catch on sale for $15K from time to time (or end of year close out). Its a good boat and you won't find a used one much cheaper....or at least one you'll want to own.

The big issue for me when I was looking at used boats was the motor. You simply cannot tell how the previous owner used/abused the motor. They are real easy to ruin by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. If you go out and buy a used boat with a crummy motor and have to go buy a new motor or spend big $ o get it fixed you are almost better off buying new.

Having said that I bought my boat used but had it checked out by a marine mechanic and also most importantly--test drove it for a half an hour in some water! If the seller isn't willing to let you drive it--no deal.

Dennis in MA
09-28-2009, 09:33
Thanks, BB. Good advice. I went welded. Post on GNG about it.