First Day Bowhunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Day Bowhunting

357glocker
09-16-2009, 11:55
Made it out yesterday for the Nebraska opener of archery deer season. This is the first year I am bowhunting and looking forward to it. I did see a nice buck but he was behind too many trees to take a shot. I saw two coyotes and passed on them thinking I may spook any deer that may be in the area. Finally a third coyote passed by my stand and I could not help but to take the shot. 17yrds and nailed right where I was aiming. It went about 20yds or so before collapsing. So no deer, but I considered it a good day out.
http://www.bjacked.net/LuvToHunt/forums/phpBB2/modules/gallery/albums/album10/Hunting_2009_003.sized.jpg
http://www.bjacked.net/LuvToHunt/forums/phpBB2/modules/gallery/albums/album10/Hunting_2009_001.sized.jpg

noway
09-16-2009, 18:48
Will a yote is a yote :cool:

Also perfect shot if I might add.What's the weight on that thing ? It looks kinda small fo a mid-2-western states yote.

357glocker
09-16-2009, 22:04
Not sure how much it weighed. Probably around 25lbs if I had to guess, but it was in a pretty healthy condition (prior to the arrow going through it!). It did look like it was pretty young. The teeth were still really white and not stained, and the face in general looked like a young dog. Maybe a year old or so.
I've bowfished before and shot quite a few fish but, it was a confidence booster also to get a shot at something and make a good hit for the first bowkill. Now bring on a deer!

noway
09-16-2009, 22:40
If you can take a yote, you will do fine ona deer ;)

alwaysshootin
09-17-2009, 08:28
First off, great shot, like mentioned, that will give you the confidence needed when you have a deer in your sights. Get out there after the seasons are over, and take as many yotes as you can. Will help the deer herd with more of the yotes taken out. They absolutely decimate the newborns in early spring.

GeorgiaGlockMan
09-24-2009, 23:33
Nice

I still haven't taken a coyote with my bow, but keep praying I'll get a chance.

vafish
09-25-2009, 12:05
If you can take a yote, you will do fine ona deer ;)

Big +1 on that.

If you can shoot a yote with a bow you are doing everything right with scent, sitting still, placing your shot, ect...

I think taking a yote with a bow is a bigger trophy that any deer.

I was out bow hunting this morning. didn't see crap. My buddy less than 100 yards away saw 5 of them.

357glocker
09-25-2009, 16:53
Funny how that works huh! All about the set up and the day it happens to be.
I've been out one more time since and no luck seeing any deer. All the standing corn is playing havok on my hunting spots. Not used to hunting this early in the year. I am going to give a new spot a try on Tuesday morning, all the sign in the area is incredible, bucks are already starting to rub and scrape there. Hopefully my stand is in the right spot, hopefully a picture will be coming for you to see.