Pheasant hunting question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant hunting question

KK40384
09-17-2009, 15:25
I was just invited to participate in a pheasant hunt coming up in the next weeks with a few friends. I'm wondering if my mossberg 500 with the field barrel suffice for the task. I've never hunted game birds before and I'm not about to go drop big bucks on a bird gun. I have used this setup for clay shooting and it was quite successful. What do you guys think?

chevy01234
09-17-2009, 15:53
I was just invited to participate in a pheasant hunt coming up in the next weeks with a few friends. I'm wondering if my mossberg 500 with the field barrel suffice for the task. I've never hunted game birds before and I'm not about to go drop big bucks on a bird gun. I have used this setup for clay shooting and it was quite successful. What do you guys think?

It'll work just fine buddy! Good luck and post up some pictures!

minnshooter
09-17-2009, 16:10

I think it will kill a pheasant as well as any high dollar shotgun. I would use 5 or 6 shot and use a modified choke. They can be tough birds to bring down. Nothing gets my blood pumping like a rooster busting out of the grass!

KK40384
09-17-2009, 17:04
I expect it to be more challenging than shooting clays. I'll make sure to bring lots of ammo :-)

KK40384
09-17-2009, 17:04
Now my next question. What load do you guys recommend?

Jonesee
09-17-2009, 19:57
No. 6 in lead.

and, don't shoot the dog.

KK40384
09-17-2009, 20:03
No. 6 in lead.

and, don't shoot the dog.

:rofl:dont plan on it unless it decides to grow wings and fly :tongueout:

Jonesee
09-17-2009, 20:20
You already admitted that haven't hunted birds before so I will tell you why your comment is funny.

When some dogs are given the command to flush they run at the birds and then jump as the birds take flight following the bird up. A hunter who is quick on the trigger and shooting a bird before it climbs very high risks shooting the dog that is following behind it.

So I will remind you, Don't shoot the dog.

and I will bet you $20 the dog owner reminds you before the hunt.

Jonesee
09-17-2009, 20:47
I won't bust your balls anymore, it was just in good fun. (true but in good fun)

Maybe some hints to get more birds will help.

I see you are in Michigan. If you are driving corn rows, do everything you can to "volunteer" to stand at the end of the field. You will be bored until they get within 50 yards or so, but when the birds realize they can't run ahead of the pushers and have reached the end of the rows, they are taking flight. Have your gun loaded and a few more shells easy to get to

If you are in the corn, keep your eyes open and ahead on the ground, you will likely see a pheasent run ahead long before he decides to fly.

We frequently hunted corn that had about 100 rows combined then 20 rows left standing, then 100 rows combined etc. If you are driving that type of corn, stay on the outside. Let the inside guys jump the birds and you will have a clear shot.

If you are hunting conservation ground (unfarmed), find the hot dog, the one that is getting the points faster and more accurately than the others and keep an eye on it. If you have a dog ranging way out, watch a closer dog instead. The dog that ranges will likely push the pheasant ahead of him and if he goes to point, by the time you get there, the bird will have likely run away on the ground.

Look quick, learn quick the difference in a rooster and a hen flying. After you see one of each you should know the difference.

And lastly, have a great time. Some of my best hunting trips ever were pheasant hunting. I've said before and I mean it. If I could only hunt one animal it would likely be pheasant. It is a great time, very social. Doing it with friends is an absolute blast!!!

357glocker
09-17-2009, 21:30
Pheasant hunting is a good time, especially with good dogs. They can be frustrating to hunt as well. Don't be in a rush to shoot the bird when it flushes either. A really close flush can almost feel like shooting in self defense! It WILL surprise you and you will want to shoot fast. But let them get up and out, and take the time to get the gun mounted right.

Use a good load of #5's and you'll have no problem dropping them......if you hit it! Have a good time!

KK40384
09-18-2009, 10:10
Thanx for all the suggestions and tips. I'll make sure to post pics later in October after the hunt