Refinishing an old M1 Carbine - any recommendations? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing an old M1 Carbine - any recommendations?

glock26ph
09-17-2009, 17:54
Hi Guys,

I want to have an old M1 carbine reparkerized, any recommendations on where I can bring it for the service here in Metro Manila?

Thanks a lot!

paltiq
09-17-2009, 18:27
ok sana parkerize...pwede si col. bayang or sa Samson Gunshop sa crame... pero superb ang diamond finish ng Stronghand=)...high satisfaction guaranteed;-)

jojo_G19
09-17-2009, 20:01
Diamond Finish??

yun ba ung frame ng 1911 na nakalubog sa aquarium last gunshow na color green??

jojo

paltiq
09-17-2009, 21:38
yeah yun nga=)

jojo_G19
09-17-2009, 22:49
maganda nga yun, i just wonder kung meron nung ibang color like earth brown or yung lighter brown similar sa desert camo.

jojo

glock26ph
09-18-2009, 05:39
thanks paltiq, would you have any pictures of how the diamond finish looks like?

jlkwison
09-19-2009, 09:25
ok sana parkerize...pwede si col. bayang or sa Samson Gunshop sa crame... pero superb ang diamond finish ng Stronghand=)...high satisfaction guaranteed;-)

Sir do you have any pictures ? :) if so, can you post it ? How does it look like ? Does it look like black chrome ? Thanks.

ironwulf
10-03-2009, 20:28
if you want to restore it, i suggest you go ahead with the parkerize green finish.....for the stock, i had mine made thru bobby suarez in sampaloc and its the closest you can get to the original... i also suggest that when you order the stock, make sure you mention that you will be retaining the locking(holding) mechanism that attaches to the rear of the stock and rifle itself.

glock26ph
10-13-2009, 23:16
if you want to restore it, i suggest you go ahead with the parkerize green finish.....for the stock, i had mine made thru bobby suarez in sampaloc and its the closest you can get to the original... i also suggest that when you order the stock, make sure you mention that you will be retaining the locking(holding) mechanism that attaches to the rear of the stock and rifle itself.

Thanks Ironwulf, will definitely have it parkerized. The stock which came with the carbine is still in good/fair condition with some nicks and a cut on one side. The stock is from Rock-Ola with the Markings and "cartouche" still visible, the serial number of the receiver is "etched" on one side near the oiler/sling cut. I am going to have the metal parts of the stock parkerized too - the recoil plate and screw, Buttplate and screw, bayonet/barrel band and screw and also the retaining pin for the barrel band. I am looking forward to receiving a folding stock which I will be using while shooting the carbine.

isuzu
10-16-2009, 21:20
Do you have a Rock Ola carbine? A Rock Ola carbine is a very-well sought-after carbine because of its scarcity. The Inland Division of GM was outfit who produced more of the carbines. Rock Ola (a jukebox manufacturer) was one of the smaller companies that made carbines.

glock26ph
10-17-2009, 08:23
Do you have a Rock Ola carbine? A Rock Ola carbine is a very-well sought-after carbine because of its scarcity. The Inland Division of GM was outfit who produced more of the carbines. Rock Ola (a jukebox manufacturer) was one of the smaller companies that made carbines.

Hi Sir,

Mine was made by Standard Products:

Inland Manufacturing Division, G.M.C...... 2,632,097 43.0%
Winchester Repeating Arms Co................ 828,059 13.5%
Underwood-Elliot-Fisher Co.................. 545,616 8.9%
Saginaw Steering Gear Div., G.M.C........... 517,212 8.5%
National Postal Meter Co.................... 413,017 6.8%
Quality Hardware & Machine Co............... 359,666 5.9%
International Business Machines Corp (IBM).. 346,500 5.7%
Standard Products Co........................ 247,160 4.0%
Rock-Ola Co................................. 228,500 3.7%
---------
Total: 6,221,220

So next to Rock Ola's, Standard Products' carbines are the next least "common" GI carbine. I think the manufacturers did not produce the whole rifle and got other parts from the other manufacturers. My rifle appears to have been re-arsenaled as it already has the late model modifications - bayonet lug barrel band, adjustable rear sights and rotary safety. The Receiver is from Standard Products, the date of manufacture is March to Sept 1943 based on the serial number. The barrel is made by Underwood marked 11-43 with the Smoking Bomb proof mark. The trigger assembly was also made by Underwood. The stock was made by Rock Ola including the recoil plate. I still need to research on which parts Standard Products did make. I plan to have the rifle reparkerized, get a folding stock and keep the original stock in the closet.

isuzu
10-17-2009, 20:47
The M1 you have could be a rare one. There were several M1s with different parts coming from different manufacturers (some even stamped their company name over the original part).

Keep it as stock as possible to retain the value, and never part with it. :)

glock26ph
10-18-2009, 20:36
The M1 you have could be a rare one. There were several M1s with different parts coming from different manufacturers (some even stamped their company name over the original part).

Keep it as stock as possible to retain the value, and never part with it. :)

Sir would you suggest that I put off my plans of having the rifle reparkerized? The rifle's original parkerized finish has worn off on most of the parts, there's pitting in a lot of areas on the barrel and there are also some rust which I have taken off - leaving bright pits. I was able to fire 50 rounds off the rifle from 50 meters, groups were still good with no "key holing". I plan to use the rifle as a plinker and probably as a home defense rifle.