found a great holster for my Glock 26 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : found a great holster for my Glock 26

drpdw
09-18-2009, 15:09
I have been just getting used to carrying my Glock 26, especially at night, and wanted to find a holster that felt right on my person and that I could also keep in my purse, to have the Glock handy. For me, and again, this is my first holster, I found an Uncle Mike's nylon #12 holster that is working pretty well. This particular model is designed to be worn inside the pants, but it hooks nicely on an inside purse pocket.

I would love to hear how other women carry their Glocks.:wavey:

sawgrass
09-18-2009, 20:46
I have the Mike's #12 and a piece of webbing sewn into a back pack for the times when I need a tent gun. (hard to steal a pack from someones back) This is in addition to whatever I'm carrying on my person. There is a responsibility in carrying a gun. That responsibility includes keeping that gun in your possession. I ALWAYS have one in the chamber. I'm careful when purchasing a carry gun as to
whether it's snag resistant. (melted) I simply don't purse carry.
I don't want my purse, briefcase, whatever stolen with a firearm in it.
I wear a belt more often with a jacket or some type of cover garmet.
When I enter my workplace, the gun goes into a safe through bolted
in my vehicle.

In your previous post, you had time to get your gun out of your purse.
It didn't sound like you chambered a round. What if you are surprised and don't have time to "get ready"?

Good luck in figuring out what works best for you.
It will be cooling off soon in eastern TN. Makes carrying alot easier.
Sawgrass

drpdw
09-19-2009, 21:18
Sawgrass,
I have just started carrying but not all of the time and to be honest with you, have not yet put a round in the chamber when carrying...something to think about. Unfortunately, I work in an environment where there is a no-carry law, so, it's locked in my trunk when it's not near or on my person.

sawgrass
09-21-2009, 21:13
drpdw,
I didn't carry one in the chamber at first. I had to get used to the idea that the gun wasn't going to discharge. I had to learn that it isn't going to fall out of the holster. I had to reach my personal comfort level. Now I prefer guns that the safety
is me keeping my finger off the trigger. With time, I've become comfortable carrying loaded. I don't carry any other way. I looked at your profile, and discovered we
have similar jobs. Several of my collegues shoot regularly. We have often discussed the irony of what we do and what sometimes happens. However policy is policy.
I think as you practice, practice, practice you will find your comfort level. Good Luck.

sawgrass
09-21-2009, 21:19
This guy is in Minneapolis. He makes beautiful holsters. I've purchased IWB and OWB from him. They are very secure. I was real concerned about finding a holster that
the gun can stay in when I go to the restroom. I think the more you mess around unnecessarily the more likely to have a negligent discharge.
www.sideguardholsters.com (http://www.sideguardholsters.com)

dsw3131
09-22-2009, 13:05
My wife carries in a Smart Carry. It's a great option for when you're wearing dresses or skirts. If you're pants aren't loose, a G26 in a Smart Carry will probably show too much. I'd go with a Belly Band, worn a waist level for those times. Just my opinion, but my wife loves her Smart Carry. Any time she's not using it she uses an Uncle Mike's in-the-waist-band holster.

drpdw
09-23-2009, 20:23
drpdw,
I didn't carry one in the chamber at first. I had to get used to the idea that the gun wasn't going to discharge. I had to learn that it isn't going to fall out of the holster. I had to reach my personal comfort level. Now I prefer guns that the safety
is me keeping my finger off the trigger. With time, I've become comfortable carrying loaded. I don't carry any other way. I looked at your profile, and discovered we
have similar jobs. Several of my collegues shoot regularly. We have often discussed the irony of what we do and what sometimes happens. However policy is policy.
I think as you practice, practice, practice you will find your comfort level. Good Luck.

Sawgrass,
You are right...it takes practice, prudence and confidence in carrying a weapon. I shoot every week (free day for women at the local range:)), and work with my carry (G26), my Sig P239 (sweet range gun), and my all-time fav, and my first HG, my red-handled Beretta. I also am in the habit of field-stripping and cleaning/oiling/greasing my HGs after every visit to the range. I find this extremely relaxing. It also allows me to know my weapons. I"m getting ready to leave my office (10:22 p.m.) and will walk swiftly to my car where my G26 awaits me to ride next to me on my way home.
-PDW
-PDW

sawgrass
09-23-2009, 21:33
Outstanding!!!