Nikon D5000 vs Canon T1I [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D5000 vs Canon T1I

Sundog
09-22-2009, 06:41
After years of point and shoot digitals, and before that several 35mm film SLRs, I'm thinking seriously about making the jump to a digital SLR. I take primarily outdoor and sports photographs, and really don't want to spend over $1000 for a body/lens setup. After much research, I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to the Nikon D5000 and the Canon T1I. Both have positives and negatives (for me), and I'm still undecided (although admittedly I am leaning toward the Nikon). I'm just curious if anyone has purchased or tried either camera and what their opinions are.

hwyhobo
09-22-2009, 11:20
What was your film SLR setup? Do you have any lenses you can reuse?

Sundog
09-22-2009, 14:56
Canon, which is not compatible on their digital SLR stuff-unless you have an adapter that Canon made a long time ago and now command hundreds of dollars if you can find one. Too bad, because I have five lenses for my old AE1-P.

Before that, I had a Nikon, but all that stuff was stolen. So, I'm basically starting over.

I handled both cameras today, and to me the Nikon felt more solid and substantial. The big turnoff for me with the Nikon is that Nikon has no plans to ever make a battery grip for the D5000, and you have to buy the AF-S lenses to keep auto-focus, since the D5000 does not have the focus motor built into the body (the AF-S lenses are motorized). You can use Nikon AF lenses, but lose the autofocus.

hwyhobo
09-24-2009, 12:42
Yes, I gave away my old FD lenses once I went digital. I had some friends still using old film Canons, so they could use them.

To your original question, one of my friends (yes, this is hearsay) mentioned she tried the 450D first but was disappointed with focusing in quick acquisition situations (like sports). She got 40D and was much happier.

I don't know how fast the basic Nikon AF system is.

Ljunatic
10-03-2009, 20:53
One thing I read is that the Nikon will not auto focus in movie modes. And, I liked the Canon's display and menu system much better than the D5000. The articulating display on the Nikon doesn't do much for me...But I am an old Canon AE1 guy from back before we ever heard of the "program mode"