Ladies, do you carry at home? You should. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ladies, do you carry at home? You should.

dsw3131
09-23-2009, 07:37
Our town here in West Texas is a decent size, but violent crimes here are the exception. They happen, but not nearly as much as the place I came from. There, you'd hear about a new murder every month. Here, I haven't heard of a murder yet, and I've lived here 3 years.

The other day a local mother was gang raped in her home. She lives in a nice (not rich, but nice) neighborhood and had just seen her husband off to work and her two kids onto the school bus. What she didn't see was three illegal immigrants (not labeling all illegal immigrants as rapists, just stating who they were) checking her out from a parked truck down the way. She walked back in to her house through her open garage door, and they followed her in.

They were on her before she even realized someone was in the house. They beat her up pretty good to get her to stop resisting, took turns raping her, and then fled. She did not have a gun in the house and was completely helpless. None of the neighbors were home because they all work, so there was no one who could have seen it and come to her aid.

The next day I began insisting that my wife carry all the time at home. She's a stay-at-home mom, and only thought concealed carry was for when she went to town. She had her gun loaded in a quick-access safe, so she never thought getting to it would be an issue. We now think differently.

Had this been my wife, having a gun in the house would have done nothing for her. Had she had the gun on her, she still might not have been able to get it out in time, but she would have had a chance.

Most of the self-defense stories I read about are home invasions. It's very plausible to believe that someone casing your house might learn when your husband goes to work, and figure the "little woman" can be handled.

Don't assume you'd have time to get to the gun. Keep it with you ALL THE TIME!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, and BTW, we found out there is a convicted sex offender living down the street from us. All the more reason for her to carry at home.

PATRICE
09-23-2009, 20:07

sawgrass
09-23-2009, 21:51
Thanks for a good reminder. It is so easy to be lazy about keeping a firearm accessible when you are at home. Some things just shouldn't be so.

PATRICE
09-25-2009, 07:11
.....<smile></smile>

ithaca_deerslayer
09-13-2010, 11:37
dsw3131, I think you raise a good point about always carrying a gun on you, even while at home, or in the yard.

solomansousana
09-13-2010, 12:03
My wife is an MD, and has a CCW. While at work and outside of the home, she carries a Kimber Ultra Raptor or one of my Colt sts Officers, both in 45acp. At home, I will most likely be carrying my FN 5-7 basically for the high capacity mag, and it's lightweight. My wife carries a lightweight .38spl with glaser loadings. In addition, we do have hidden S&W .45acp nightguards in each room of the house that are secured by biometrics.

soldier615
09-16-2010, 21:27
Mrs Soldier here. Good advice. I carry mine all the time at home. Even if I go out to hang up the laundry or sit on my deck to read, I've got my gun on me. I don't know about the rest of you, but I was glad I had it on several occasions. It's true, don't think you will have time to run into your room to get your gun if you need it.

Just look at our signature line.

sawgrass
09-16-2010, 21:41
This woman was my aunt.
She was 78 and weighed about 100 pounds.

The alleged killer turned out to be her neighbor's brother.
She was tied, strangled and her throat cut.
The guy who took care of her lawn found her.

I think the SOB has another trial this month.

WE SHOULD CARRY AT HOME!

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/15287437/detail.html
http://www.las-cruces.org/police/news/news_item.asp?NewsID=631

ExxoticOne
09-17-2010, 08:19
This woman was my aunt.

My knees just buckled under me. Jesus; I am so very sorry for the pain this has caused you and your loved ones.

Lone_Wolfe
09-17-2010, 11:09
This woman was my aunt.
She was 78 and weighed about 100 pounds.

The alleged killer turned out to be her neighbor's brother.
She was tied, strangled and her throat cut.
The guy who took care of her lawn found her.

I think the SOB has another trial this month.

WE SHOULD CARRY AT HOME!

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/15287437/detail.html
http://www.las-cruces.org/police/news/news_item.asp?NewsID=631

Damn, I'm so sorry to hear that. :crying: I hope the killer gets what he has coming when he's in jail and rots in hell. I also hope your family can find some peace. :hugs:

sawgrass
09-17-2010, 13:58
I catch myself thinking about how she must have felt while being tied
and hurt before she died. It was this event that led me to CC.

ExxoticOne
09-17-2010, 16:32
I catch myself thinking about how she must have felt while being tied and hurt before she died. It was this event that led me to CC.

You're a better woman than me; something unspeakable would have happened to this guy. Your post about this has really torn me up. I wish you some comfort, some peace.

sawgrass
09-17-2010, 16:53
You're a better woman than me; something unspeakable would have happened to this guy. Your post about this has really torn me up. I wish you some comfort, some peace.

Thanks EO. Too bad he was caught, and not killed by LE.

PATRICE
09-26-2010, 09:22

DragonLibra
09-27-2010, 18:01
And I think even the guys might think about carrying around the house.

I saw one I Survived episode about a woman who was kidnapped and held captive for 5 days by a perp who had entered her home, shot her husband dead and then beat and took her captive when she came in from gardening.

The victim wrote a book - Shattered: Reclaiming a Life Torn Apart by Violence - helluva scary read and made me rethink about carrying or having the firearm in arm's reach while in my house or out in the yard.

And then to read the horrible experience in DSW3131's post.

Lady Glock
09-27-2010, 18:47
I get up and first thing I do after getting dressed is to put my gun on my hip. I carry a G30 EVERYWHERE

glockvilleAZ
10-03-2010, 00:34
My wife needs to carry more often than she does.

Lone_Wolfe
10-03-2010, 02:04
Glockville, please have your wife read this thread. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1268102

It's terrible what happened to those 2 people in their own home.