Active Duty US Military Carry Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Active Duty US Military Carry Question

stormbind
09-24-2009, 09:52
I have a friend that is going into the military and would like to know if he can carry a firearm concealed in South Carolina while not on base. Also would he be allowed to carry a firearm on a public university campus or state park? He is having a little trouble finding this information. Thanks for your help!

Thx-1138
09-24-2009, 11:31
He would have to obtain a concealed carry permit that is valid in South Carolina.

At that point, he would be under the same restrictions as any other non-law-enforcement concealed carry permit holder in South Carolina.

See handgunlaw.us for a synopsis of state-by-state laws and restricted areas.

Now, if by "military", you specifically mean the US Coast Guard, and his job entailed law-enforcement activities, he may be covered under LEOSA (wiki it).

rns-glock37
09-24-2009, 17:26
he would have to get his concealed weapons permit that is recognized in south carolina. the military in of itself is not allowed to carry a concealed weapon without a permit. for the details read the book "south carolina gun law" or visit sled web site and read up on the gun laws. it specifically list the when and how the military is permited to carry a gun. this includes military law enforcement. they too are not permited to carry a concealed weapon. they are only allowed to carry a weapon when on duty and then it's not concealed unless they carry concealed while on duty but nontheless they must be on duty to carry at all. sled website is www.sled.sc.gov (http://www.sled.sc.gov)

GT4494
09-24-2009, 19:12
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

(2) members of the Armed Forces of the United States, the National Guard, organized reserves, or the State
Militia when on duty;

DustyJacket
09-24-2009, 19:34
When I was on AD in Alabama, we all got permits ($5 at the Sheriff's office and an NCIC computer check).

In fact, the Army told me I had to get one if I didn't want to store my revolver in the Armory.

stormbind
09-24-2009, 23:03
Excellent thanks for the advice. I will point him to the thread and hopefully he will turn into a glocker!

RichardB
09-26-2009, 17:22
Make sure your buddy understands that privately owned weapons are under a truckload of restrictions on a military base. Any concealed carry permit is worthless there.

He needs to contact the Military Police at the base to which he is assigned before bringing any kind of weapon on a military installation (or federal building).

violators will not be cut any slack.

Halal Pork
09-27-2009, 22:26
If he's going into the military, it's a moot point. He's not going to have a personal firearm while in basic training.

I have a friend that is going into the military and would like to know if he can carry a firearm concealed in South Carolina while not on base. Also would he be allowed to carry a firearm on a public university campus or state park? He is having a little trouble finding this information. Thanks for your help!

stormbind
01-31-2010, 19:46
The Ending....

My friend finally decided to get his CWP. He took his course at Allen's Arms and is now waiting on his CWP. They told him that it could take up to 120 days. Thanks for the replies friends and he has seen this thread so your responses did not go unheeded.

hpj3
02-21-2010, 23:38
Actually, SLED is doing an excellent job of holding to the 90 day +/- timeframe required by law... I track the issue date of all my students and considering the budget/manpower cuts at SLED it amazes me that they're keeping up...