Ruger SSR-556 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SSR-556

patman
09-24-2009, 17:44
What's the story on these?Looks interesting and I've always liked Rugers.

PAGlock
09-24-2009, 18:24
Yeh, me too! I really like the look of the new Rugers. I'm thinking really hard about buying one. Best price I've seen so far was $1,350.00. I'm afraid if I wait too long (assuming the Dems will try to pass new gun control legislation), there will be none to buy!

JDG
09-24-2009, 18:25
Good write up on it in the Rifelman, looks Bad A** to me!

Kegel
09-24-2009, 18:31
You should definitely buy one before Hussein takes away your right to own a gun. It is well known and generally agreed upon around these parts that piston driven AR's are far superior to their DI bretheren. They not only run far cleaner, cooler and have less wear and tear but are guaranteed to make you a better shot. There is less recoil and followup shots are much easier to place on target quickly. Ruger is considered by many to be the best manufacturer of quality AR type rifles for at least 20 years now. I would have no problem in advising you to trust your life to one of these fine weapons.

:whistling:

patman
09-24-2009, 18:40
I may have to dump some firearms to fund one.I never knew Ruger made AR type rifles.I figured I'd get some responses from the Ruger haters around here.

PAGlock
09-24-2009, 18:41
You should definitely buy one before Hussein takes away your right to own a gun. It is well known and generally agreed upon around these parts that piston driven AR's are far superior to their DI bretheren. They not only run far cleaner, cooler and have less wear and tear but are guaranteed to make you a better shot. There is less recoil and followup shots are much easier to place on target quickly. Ruger is considered by many to be the best manufacturer of quality AR type rifles for at least 20 years now. I would have no problem in advising you to trust your life to one of these fine weapons.

Ruger has been making ARs for 20 years? I didn't know that! My new Rifleman magazine said something like "...this was Ruger's intro into the AR market.." If your talking about the Ranch Rifles, I too have heard only good things about them.

patman
09-24-2009, 18:46
Ruger has been making ARs for 20 years? I didn't know that! My new Rifleman magazine said something like "...this was Ruger's intro into the AR market.." If your talking about the Ranch Rifles, I too have heard only good things about them.

The ranch rifles are very dependable but accuracy is a little disappointing.I had a mini-14.Sweet rifle but it just didn't hold a very good group.They more closely resemble an M-14 than an AR though.

mythaeus
09-24-2009, 21:07
If you are going to spend $1400, I suggest you go through this entire thread on the Ruger SR556: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=32141

The reviews aren't so good. First release of any gun to join a popular market through playing catch up is never a good thing.

Al

patman
09-24-2009, 21:20
If you are going to spend $1400, I suggest you go through this entire thread on the Ruger SR556: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=32141

The reviews aren't so good. First release of any gun to join a popular market through playing catch up is never a good thing.

Al

"Let's just say the operating system has issues that I can't go into".

There's iron clad evidence.Glad I read that.:rofl:

Chuck TX
09-24-2009, 23:14
Don't really like the looks of the system. Still has an AR charge handle, the barrel isn't floated, and the piston isn't attached to the bolt, but rather slams into it to push it back. Looks like they'd run hot and suffer from the dreaded carrier tilt. Could be wrong, but I'll pass.

When I finally drop money on a non-AK gas piston rifle I'll be won't be a piston AR, but something built for it from the ground up.

crenca
09-24-2009, 23:29
When I finally drop money on a non-AK gas piston rifle I'll be won't be a piston AR, but something built for it from the ground up.

Robinson XCR has served me well. No Ruger for me after Bill sold us out to the anti-gun crowd. Perhaps the now public company will wise up and change their name, or start a division without "Ruger" in the name...

Foxfire5
09-25-2009, 00:08
I'll stick with my FN/FNC and my two VZ 58 Imports with real Czech forged receivers not made in America clones.

mangkukhan
09-25-2009, 01:34
First off Ruger has never made an AR or AR related product.

Second they still don't, they simply retagged someone else's rifle with their name. I believe these are made entirely with aftermarket and custom shop parts like Troy and CAA.

Third Piston driven AR's have yet to be proven to be more reliable than DI AR's. they do run cooler, but there have been piston breakages and other problems due to the fact the platform simply wasn't designed to accomodate a piston.

Fourth I doubt the recoil would be noticeably different, more than likely you would just eliminate the quiet twang of the recoil buffer.

pleaforwar
09-25-2009, 02:06
First off Ruger has never made an AR or AR related product.

Second they still don't, they simply retagged someone else's rifle with their name. I believe these are made entirely with aftermarket and custom shop parts like Troy and CAA.

Third Piston driven AR's have yet to be proven to be more reliable than DI AR's. they do run cooler, but there have been piston breakages and other problems due to the fact the platform simply wasn't designed to accomodate a piston.

Fourth I doubt the recoil would be noticeably different, more than likely you would just eliminate the quiet twang of the recoil buffer.

Actually, several studies have shown the reliability of a gas-piston system in regards to the maintenance required with a DI system. Also, plenty of respected individuals have noted the difference in recoil between DI vs GPU.

If you like the DI platform, by all means carry your argument, but do it where the issue is actually relevant (i.e. combat accuracy vs. match accuracy, carrier tilt, etc.).

Yes, when Eugene Stoner originally developed the system, it was meant to be a gas operated rifle rather than a piston operated rifle. That being said, he developed the platform to be a 20" rifle system too. By your suggestion, carbines, sbr's, and midlength's shouldn't be considered either.

In the end, both systems have their pros and cons, I hope that you would attest to this.

CMG
09-25-2009, 03:53
I don't know much, but I do know I like my SR556.

I have two DI guns and did have a Sig 556 (didn't care for it). The Ruger is heavier than an M4gery, but part of that weight is in the quad-rail hand-guards.

Mine has been flawless in performance, shows no adverse wear to the buffer tube from "carrier tilt" and is as accurate as I can shoot.

ARs have become the 1911 of rifles. Meaning there are too many brands/styles for most folks to have owned them all, but there are still a lot of fierce brand-snobs/loyalists who will insist one is junk, theirs pure gold.

I chose to find out first hand and I'm glad I did. YMMV, of course.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/ARx3.jpg

Deadduck357
09-25-2009, 16:17
I own 7 DI AR15's and my SR-556 is my favorite AR of them all.

6 DI's, 1 is a 9mm, sorry.

Blitzer
09-25-2009, 16:53
Yeh, me too! I really like the look of the new Rugers. I'm thinking really hard about buying one. Best price I've seen so far was $1,350.00. I'm afraid if I wait too long (assuming the Dems will try to pass new gun control legislation), there will be none to buy!

The Dems need to do nothing. Simply signing of a UN treaty and guns are banned from private ownership. The President has that kind of power!

:whistling: :dunno: :wow:

lil Nelson
09-25-2009, 18:04
Robinson XCR has served me well. No Ruger for me after Bill sold us out to the anti-gun crowd. Perhaps the now public company will wise up and change their name, or start a division without "Ruger" in the name...

+1
"I just don't understand why a man needs more than 10 rounds in a mag." But see here my Ranch Rifle doesn't have a pistol grip, or a colap. butstock, so it doesn't qualify as an assult weapon under the ban.

Now Ruger has an SR9 with 20 rounds, and an AR relabled under their name. No Ruger's in this house either.

patman
09-25-2009, 19:35
I own Rugers.Always have,always will.AR's,as far as I can tell,suck.That is all I read on the forums any way.I'm just gonna buy as many SKS rifles as I can with the money I was gonna spend on an AR.Or maybe a couple AK's and a couple of SKS.Maybe some day some one will have something GOOD to say about an AR.Then I will buy one or two.

wellcraft
09-26-2009, 07:52
+1
"I just don't understand why a man needs more than 10 rounds in a mag." But see here my Ranch Rifle doesn't have a pistol grip, or a colap. butstock, so it doesn't qualify as an assult weapon under the ban.

Now Ruger has an SR9 with 20 rounds, and an AR relabled under their name. No Ruger's in this house either.

bill rugers been dead and gone for a long time now and the owners of ruger have taken the company in a totally different direction offering mini 14's with hi-cap 30 rd mags and collapsable stocks, the SR9 with 18 rd hi-cap mags and now a piston driven AR15 yet some gun owners are stuck in the past and dwelling on **** that happened decades ago. if bill ruger was still living or ruger was still practicing his ideaology then gun owners boycotting ruger products would be justified. i choose to support firearm manufacturers that are producing the products i want to buy.

with that said i'll pass on the 556 because i'd rather buy a SCAR, Keltec 308 BP or remington ACR.

patman
09-26-2009, 09:15
I was just looking at the SCAR on Gunbroker.The asking price was worth a giggle.:rofl:

smokin762
09-26-2009, 09:55
I am not a Ruger hater but I did disagree with the old man. This may sound mean but it is a blessing for Ruger Firearms that Bill is gone.

I am not a fan of the Mini 14, this is from my own experience while I had own one. I like to own accurate rifles. The Mini 14 just was not for me. I do like some of Rugers other rifles though.

I have had a Ruger SP101 in 22 lr. and a MK II, I had to sell them both and other firearms to raise money. I thought both guns were awesome and I wish I had them back. I sold a Super Black Hawk and a Super Red Hawk 44 mag I used them for hunting. These were also great pistols. I own a 20 barrel 10/22 and I love it.

As somebody has already said, Ruger is moving in a new direction. This can be seen on their web site. Ruger is finally trying to please the shooter crowd and I applaud them for this movement.

I do not buy first year anything, I like to let the manufacture work out the bugs. I think it will be a better rifle next year. Just my opinion. :dunno:

Glockdude1
09-26-2009, 10:04
When is the "Ruger Recall" on the new 556 rifle going to be announced?

:rofl:

J/K!!!

mangkukhan
09-26-2009, 13:45
When is the "Ruger Recall" on the new 556 rifle going to be announced?

Maybe not since they didn't build it.

ddbtoth
09-26-2009, 23:05
bill rugers been dead and gone for a long time now and the owners of ruger have taken the company in a totally different direction offering mini 14's with hi-cap 30 rd mags and collapsable stocks, the SR9 with 18 rd hi-cap mags and now a piston driven AR15 yet some gun owners are stuck in the past and dwelling on **** that happened decades ago. if bill ruger was still living or ruger was still practicing his ideaology then gun owners boycotting ruger products would be justified. i choose to support firearm manufacturers that are producing the products i want to buy.

with that said i'll pass on the 556 because i'd rather buy a SCAR, Keltec 308 BP or remington ACR.

That may be--but we as consumers can have a long memory--If you tow the gun grabbers line ("no civilian needs more than 10 rounds") and people remember it regardless-maybe the gun company will wise up to the fact not to sell out. I won't forget, I don't care that Bill Ruger is dead, he didn't die soon enough to suit me. He is a sell out, and we should continue to make an example of the liberal gun companies that decide to ignore us and pander to the left wing. I will buy MSAR guns and other guns (not even consider S&W) that come from a company that is responsive to our demands, not the toadies in Washington. Fudge e'm and die. Never forget!

wellcraft
09-27-2009, 08:21
That may be--but we as consumers can have a long memory--If you tow the gun grabbers line ("no civilian needs more than 10 rounds") and people remember it regardless-maybe the gun company will wise up to the fact not to sell out. I won't forget, I don't care that Bill Ruger is dead, he didn't die soon enough to suit me. He is a sell out, and we should continue to make an example of the liberal gun companies that decide to ignore us and pander to the left wing. I will buy MSAR guns and other guns (not even consider S&W) that come from a company that is responsive to our demands, not the toadies in Washington. Fudge e'm and die. Never forget!

everyone is entitled to their opinion and when bill ruger was living i wouldn't have purchased ruger products either and i stopped buying SW products when they got in bed with the clinton's. but bill ruger is dead and gone and the company is marketing firearms and accessories people want to buy so i will buy ruger products. SW changed ownership and the new owners nixed their deal with the government so instead of holding grudges and boycotting either i will support both with my dollars since they support me with the firearms products they produce. the anti-gun crowd wants gun owners to boycott firearms manufacturers because it supports the anti gun agenda. i believe in giving second chances and not holding grudges and i think both SW & ruger deserve and earned a second chance.

smokin762
09-27-2009, 14:14
This morning I went to the Gun Show. While I was there I seen brand new in the package Mini 14 30 round mags, they were factory OEM mags. You never would have seen this, when ole Billy was alive. I am glad he is gone, it will serve his Company well.

Give Ruger's a chance. They are finally coming out of the 19th Century.:supergrin:

But, I still would not buy the first year model of anything. Just me.:dunno:

thenorthface84
10-04-2009, 18:54
I bought one a week ago, and finally got a chance saturday to test her out. I shot only russian stuff (200 rds brown bear, 200 rds of silver bear, and 200 rds of golden bear) and not one jam or misfire. I bought one of rugers show test guns so all the bugs have been worked out. the only things i dont like about it are that the upper and lower were not snug (accuwedge fixed that) and that the gas piston was a royal pain to clean up. other than that, it is a great buy for the money. all the guts seam top notch. i really like how they chromed/plated the bolt and its guts. now i am just wondering why everyone doesnt chome/plate them? A+ in my book and highly recommend to any one who wants a great out of the box (fudd) black rifle.

DenaliPark
10-04-2009, 19:34
This morning I went to the Gun Show. While I was there I seen brand new in the package Mini 14 30 round mags, they were factory OEM mags. You never would have seen this, when ole Billy was alive. I am glad he is gone, it will serve his Company well.

Give Ruger's a chance. They are finally coming out of the 19th Century.:supergrin:

But, I still would not buy the first year model of anything. Just me.:dunno:

I've been burned twice(badly)with Ruger pistols, they offered me nothing but attitude during the fix-it process which included multiple returns of both KP345PR's I had purchased.
I'd not buy any Ruger product that hasn't been on the market for five years or more, not to forget that they also tried they're damndest to sell out the American shooting public and the 2nd Amendment to boot......

smokin762
10-04-2009, 20:05
I've been burned twice(badly)with Ruger pistols, they offered me nothing but attitude during the fix-it process which included multiple returns of both KP345PR's I had purchased.
I'd not buy any Ruger product that hasn't been on the market for five years or more, not to forget that they also tried they're damndest to sell out the American shooting public and the 2nd Amendment to boot......

I do understand what you are saying about Bill selling the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> amendment out. That is why I am glad that old Fudd is gone.

I too have been burnt on a Ruger firearm. For me it was a Mini 14. Your right, their customer service used to stink.

Now that Bill is gone, things are changing for the better with Ruger. They want to be more appealing to the firearm owners and I think people need to look forward towards a new start with Ruger. Just look at the web site, they have so many more options for their rifles then they used to.

I also agree with you, I would never buy the first year anything. Give it a year or two and let them work out any bugs that may come up. :dunno:

Kentak
10-06-2009, 04:24
Lot's of biased opinions, not many facts. Let's start with Ruger doesn't make AR's, just assembles parts. Name some of your favorite AR brands and the components they manufacter "in house."

Edited to add: Here's a link I posted in a related thread which could be worthwhile here. It's a ProArms podcast produced in June. Mas interviews a spokesperson at Ruger re the SR-556. The audio player is at the bottom of the text section.

http://proarms.podbean.com/2009/06/21/030-the-new-ruger-sr-556/

I think those of you that claimed Ruger just slapped together some other guys' parts without much thought are in for enlightenment.

The piston system is unique to Ruger and the upper receiver was built around it. Even the Troy quad rail is custom made for this rifle--the rail forms part of the housing for the piston system. They call the piston a two-stage system. After firing, the high pressure gasses first impinge on a smaller diameter portion of the piston. This, of course, means reduced force. As the system and BC begin to move backward a small amount, the gases engage the full diameter of the piston for the force necessary to complete the cycle. This reduces stresses on the system--a "push" to get things started, then the muscle to complete. They claim less wear and recoil. They "have" addressed the carrier tilt issue with some design modifications, as well.

Some have called this gun pricey. The MSRP is 1995, but it has been pointed out the street price is well under that. Local ad here in central Ohio for 1500. So, for that you get the well though out piston system, the Troy quad rail and BUIS, three MagPul PMags, and a nice soft carrying case. And you're complaining?

I'll be getting mine in a few weeks. I'll post range reports as I can. If the gun is a disappointment, I'll be straight up. I *know* I can sell it for more than what I'm paying, so I won't hesitate to do so. Why, shucks, I could even buy a Colt :rock: then.

fireman1969
11-02-2009, 12:21
I was a skeptical at first about this Ruger but I hear Mas Ayoob and Gail Pepin talk about it in the Proarms podcast and thought I'd give it a shot for my next purchase. I figured I'd have to save up for awhile but after a head-on collision I was in on July 24th, 2009 I no longer have a car payment and insurance to pay. I also have a lot of time on my hands to shoot since I'm off work for at least another year before the Docs will even know how much disability I'll have from all my injuries suffered in the accident.

Any way I have 897 rounds through mine with no malfunctions and it is a blast to shoot. I paid 1449.00 for mine.

Brian

DannyRand
11-02-2009, 18:28
The Dems need to do nothing. Simply signing of a UN treaty and guns are banned from private ownership. The President has that kind of power!

:whistling: :dunno: :wow:

This is what they want you to believe. He has the same power to violate the Constitution as someone holding a gun to your head does. Treaties MUST be constitutional or they are not legal.

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html

"Article. VI. All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

Crystal clear to me. The Founding Fathers were NOT stupid OR sloppy.

humanguerrilla
11-03-2009, 11:08
I keep reading about carrier tilt issues with them vs. anti-tilt piston designs and seeing pictures of wear inside the tube. My buddy just passed up a deal on a Larue Stealth to get a SR-556 before I could show him all the stuff...

fireman1969
11-03-2009, 11:49
When dealing with piston systems being retrofitted to firearms built to use D.I. carrier tilt will always be a concern. However, how much will the carrier tilt lead to malfunctions and will it shorten the life of the firearm?

In my Ruger I can see the shiny metal of the receiver tube in spots but it appears the paint has flaked off. I've used a magnifying system to get a better look and there are no gouges or scratches in the metal. It looks like the paint just flaked off due to the carrier striking the tube.

I installed a Geissele combat trigger in my rifle yesterday then took it to the range and fired 120 rounds. My Ruger now has 1017 rounds through it and it has been flwless and I'm not too concerned about carrier tilt any more. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe the couple of rifles people have have had problems with were just unlucky. BTW, the Geissele trigger is a great addition.

Brian

Kentak
11-10-2009, 12:13
I'm not an engineer or metallurgist, etc., but this whole carrier tilt may just turn out to be a non-issue. The worst result might be a shiny spot on the extension tube and no significant wear. Just like some Glocks have a peening issue that seems to reach a point and get no worse; this might be similar. Certainly it's worth keeping an eye on, but IMO not a reason not to get a piston system if you want one. Just as DI guys have to be conscientious about keeping their action clean, maybe piston guys will have to put a dab of heavy grease on the carrier/extension contact point now and then. That should certainly help to minimize wear.

Kentak
11-10-2009, 12:17
Brian, what can you tell me about your new trigger? I don't hate my Ruger trigger, but there is room for improvement. Should I want one, and is it too light for a gun that might be intended for Night Of The Living Dead moments?

fireman1969
11-10-2009, 13:55
Kentak,

The trigger is a single stage combat trigger. It's not a bench-rest/match trigger, nor would I want that on a defensive carbine, but it still has improved my accuracy with the rifle. While the trigger pull is much lighter than the stock Ruger's it's by no means too light. I think it's perfect in the defensive carbine role. I liken it to the Glock trigger system in that it's light and smooth pull with a bit of take up before breaking crisply with quick follow up shots being aided by a short/quick trigger reset.

I wish I could describe better how its like night and day when comparing the Geissele combat trigger to the standard AR trigger in my Colt and Ruger.

Brian

Kentak
11-10-2009, 16:54
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. What cost and where do I get one?

fireman1969
11-10-2009, 17:32
Kentak,

You can google Geissele Combat trigger and choose whichever supplier you have done business with before and as far as price almost every supplier I checked into set the price at $170.00 to $175.00 plus shipping. The other thing I like about this trigger is that it set up ready to go with nothing to adjust which means nothing that can work loose if not properly loctited. Plus if you did use your rifle no prosecutor can imply you employed a "hair" trigger or what not.

Pick up a Geissele combat trigger and you'll be very satisfied with it. It is a true drop-in trigger and easy to install. They also include a pin to hold the disconnector in place as you drop the trigger in to position plus the trigger and hammer pins they provide are good quality and stay in place with no "walking".

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Brian

Coopman
01-23-2010, 17:53
Check out: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=39687

Member: unoactu

For: Solved my tilt problem with the Ruger SR556

Range Rat
01-24-2010, 17:24
I own Rugers.Always have,always will.AR's,as far as I can tell,suck.That is all I read on the forums any way.I'm just gonna buy as many SKS rifles as I can with the money I was gonna spend on an AR.Or maybe a couple AK's and a couple of SKS.Maybe some day some one will have something GOOD to say about an AR.Then I will buy one or two.

Patman, Patman, please reconsider. No more than 6 months ago, I proclaimed on one of the gun forums that the AR platform isn't for me. Showed up at a 100 yard rifle match, turned out all but a few of us were using ARs. I was amazed at the accuracy of the platform, ended up getting an RRA NM4 that can shoot the lights out at 100 yards. Dude, reconsider. I did and am glad I did.

silentpoet
01-25-2010, 09:49
I wouldn't buy ruger, in part because of the dead guys ****ting on us and in part because I am buying a sig 556.

internal
01-25-2010, 15:50

Cool story bro.