WOMEN'S firearm interest probe [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : WOMEN'S firearm interest probe

sawgrass
09-25-2009, 09:51
I'm spinning this off of a few recent threads.

I'm curious about the females who do frequent this forum.

What do you shoot, how often, and do you have other
interests such as reloading, gun cleaning etc?

My interests are:

I carry a G26, G19, LCP, or a Colt Defender.
I shoot everything from .22 to larger rifle calibers.

I have strong affection for old Winchester rifles.
I recently bought a M1 Garand (special grade) and an M1 Carbine.
Currently, I'm working on a Winchester 94, a Marlin 22 rifle, and a Mosin 1891. Once in a while I shoot a compound bow. I don't hunt. I fish.
I have an actual gun room, with a couple of work benches and
enjoy playing in there.

OK, Ladies let's hear about your firearm interests! :cool::cool::cool:

Sawgrass

PATRICE
09-25-2009, 10:33

sawgrass
09-25-2009, 14:11
Patrice,
I looked at some of your posts in other places. I believe you could
add alot of substantive information to this thread. If you become
comfortable with that I would appreciate your input.
Sawgrass

wrencher
09-25-2009, 14:24
Nice to see this post here, I'm another female who loves guns and shooting.:wavey:
I have a carry permit, and carry almost all the time. (Prohibited at work:steamed:)
I love modern pistols, especially Browning hipowers, ( I have four, but I can stop anytime I want), but also Glocks, 1911s and Berettas.
I shoot two rounds of trap a year, whether I need it or not, so the shotgun doesn't get lonely.
My main thrill is collecting and shooting old military rifles. Finnish, Swiss, US, Mausers of all flavors.
My latest affliction is an attraction to old Remington 22s.
I reload pistol and rifle ammo in many calibers, and am looking forward to starting to cast my own bullets.
I like to get to the range several times a month, the more, the merrier.
It's great to see other women out at the range, shooting and enjoying themselves.

PATRICE
09-25-2009, 15:05

PATRICE
09-25-2009, 17:30

sawgrass
09-25-2009, 22:35
Hi Wrencher, thanks for coming over to the women's forum
to post your interests.:wavey:

I haven't shot trap before. What size shotgun do you use?
Actually, I've only shot a shotgun once. It was a short 12ga
and kicked pretty good. Do they kick less if they are smaller caliber?

A coworker of mine recommended a youth 20g to me. I guess I wonder
if the smaller gun is lighter, is the recoil similar to a larger cal?

It's great to hear from another woman who has varied gun interests!

PATRICE
09-26-2009, 06:53
<smile></smile>

sawgrass
09-26-2009, 08:04
Interesting! I've been thinking about getting a shotgun, and was a little suspicious
of the lighter guns. My long gun collection is lacking a shotgun.

Any suggestions on a 12 ga, for purschase?

This whole recoil issue is interesting too. I hear men at the range and online, who
complain about the recoil with the LCP. I sometimes carry a LCP, so I try and shoot it at least monthly. I don't find it to be bad at all. I think my small hands can actually hold onto the little thing better than most guys hands.

PATRICE
09-26-2009, 09:00

sawgrass
09-26-2009, 10:08
Thanks Patrice!!!

wrencher
09-26-2009, 17:38
I shoot trap, (poorly), with a 12ga Browning A5, semiauto shotgun. This may be the one Patrice refers to where the barrel moves back in the action.
I think it is pretty soft shooting, really doesn't bother me to shoot it.
I've shot a few rounds of trap with my Mossberg 590, 12ga. It is my home defense shottie, 20" barrel. I get a few sideways looks, but shot a 22 with it once!
One guy let me shoot his Beretta 20ga semiauto once, very soft and nice to shoot.
Went out today, shot my newly tricked out Springfield 1911, and a newly tricked out Glock 19.
Beautiful day, beautiful guns, perfect.

sawgrass
09-26-2009, 17:50
It's sounding like I should try and shoot some different shotguns before I buy one. (Naturally)

So Wrencher, care to explain a "tricked" out G19?

Lone_Wolfe
09-27-2009, 06:14
<<<--- Is a female

<<<--- used to enjoy shooting frequently

:wavey:

sawgrass
09-27-2009, 08:44
Lone Wolfe,
I'm so happy to see you here. Before anything else I want to say thank you for
what you are doing for our country, and for the sacrifices you have made.
I send warmest thoughts and positive energy to you. If there is anything I can do
for you PLEASE simply let me know.

Last night I was telling a friend about this attempt re women's interest.
I told her "there is a female soldier on GT called Lone Wolfe, and I hope
she responds to this thread. I woke up today and there was your post.
Thank You.

Lone_Wolfe
09-27-2009, 08:52
Thank you for the kind words and positive thoughts. They all help.

Although I'm scratching my head about why you would want my input in a thread like this. I have no interest in guns anymore.

sawgrass
09-27-2009, 09:21
OK, Lone Wolfe I guess it never occured to me that you don't have gun interests
any longer since you are on GT.

From what little bit I've gathered from reading on GT, I respect you way too much
to even pretend to have any idea of what you have been through, and what you are
going through. If there is anything you want to add to this thread, that would be great.

Lone_Wolfe
09-27-2009, 09:32
I'm still here because I have friends here. And there are a lot of good people here. Including a few in this thread. :wavey:

BTW, don't get the wrong impression about me not liking guns anymore. I'm still very much pro-constitution and that includes the 2nd amendment. I even gave away a bunch of NRA memberships a few months ago. I just don't want them around me. I gave my collection to a friend of mine who also posts on this board.

PATRICE
09-27-2009, 09:36

sawgrass
09-27-2009, 09:58
Lone Wolfe I could do a thread on beer all by myself:rofl:
I caught something on page 7 or so on your sticky that made me
think you appreciate a cold one.

Yesterday I went to a gun show at an event center and this place
had a bar. I was very surprised. I was on my way to the range,
so I did not have anything.

Just something I hadn't seen before.

I bought a Browning Lever gun 22. It doesn't work.
It looks like the firing pin is broken.

Lone_Wolfe
09-27-2009, 12:28
Yep, I can appreciate a cold brew. Especially a good microbrew. The people posting in that thread have done more to help me than I could have imagined. Especially after I opened up in there about what happened. I owe them so much.

But enough about that thread.... Beer at a gunshow.... :shakehead: I used to be a shooting coach for NRA Pistol and for a Ladies group. One quote that I used every time is "You and your gun should never be loaded at the same time". I stole that from MY instructor. With her blessing, of course. :supergrin:

Thank you for the welcome Patrice. :wavey:

wrencher
09-27-2009, 15:03
So Wrencher, care to explain a "tricked" out G19?

Not very exciting, but as 'tricked' as I care a Glock to be...
Scherer 3.5# connector, and a Dawson fiber optic front sight.
Shoots great, sights are much easier to see quickly.

Silent_Runner
10-11-2009, 09:11
So I hear you want to know about my gun collection and interests. Here goes.

For many years I had an old shotgun I kept in the closet and 2 22s. One rifle and one pistol. Then a friend of mine convinced I should get a weapons permit and training and a carry gun. I bought a Glock and ended up being very glad I had it one night.

After that I started taking having a gun around me even more seriously and got a few more guns over the next few years.

Recently I was given a huge collection of over 80 guns. Many of them are revolvers and I have discovered I really like shooting them. I think my favorite is a Colt Python but I now have more guns than I know what to do with.:supergrin:

sawgrass
10-11-2009, 14:52
SR, glad to see you here. I've heard that gun collection is nice.
I have two revolvers, an old .22 that was my grandfather's, and
a SW .38 special. It was the first pistol I ever bought.

I would love to shoot a python.

SR, care to elaborate on "glad I had it"?

The bottom line for me is that I really like guns. I have a variety of long guns, as well as pistols.

It's tough finding women who really want to talk guns.
I've figured out that you talk to LW from her sticky.

Please give her my best. She is in my thoughts every day.

SG

TechGal
10-11-2009, 22:37
I don't get to the range much any more, but at one time I would go about 1 or 2 times a month.
I shoot a g26.

sawgrass
10-12-2009, 09:40
TechGal,
I love my G26.

TG, do you carry, or do you keep it around for home protection? When you go to the range, is it indoors or outdoors?

I try and go outdoors if possible.

I and I'm sure others would love to hear more about your shooting experiences.

SG

TechGal
10-12-2009, 23:30
TechGal,
I love my G26.

TG, do you carry, or do you keep it around for home protection? When you go to the range, is it indoors or outdoors?

I try and go outdoors if possible.

I and I'm sure others would love to hear more about your shooting experiences.

SG

I try to carry it whenever I can, but I can't carry to work so I often slip out of the habit of grabbing it all the time.
I have done both indoor and outdoor ranges, but I tend to prefer the indoor.

Silent_Runner
10-13-2009, 09:19
SR, glad to see you here. I've heard that gun collection is nice.
I have two revolvers, an old .22 that was my grandfather's, and
a SW .38 special. It was the first pistol I ever bought.

I would love to shoot a python.

SR, care to elaborate on "glad I had it"?

The bottom line for me is that I really like guns. I have a variety of long guns, as well as pistols.

It's tough finding women who really want to talk guns.
I've figured out that you talk to LW from her sticky.

Please give her my best. She is in my thoughts every day.

SG

Hello sawgrass. From whom did you hear about my gun collection? If I may ask. :supergrin:

Yes you would enjoy shooting either Python. They have excellent triggers. The longer barreled one I have is in beautiful condition. What brand is your 22? I have not finished going through my collection and figuring out what all of them are but I have at least 2 dozen 22s in here. Some are different like the bolt action pistols.

I will be happy to elaborate on my incident but not today. I have to get back to work shortly. Would you prefer I post it in this thread or a different one?

Yes Wolfe is my friend and has been for almost 20 years. I talk to her almost every day. Don't be afraid to talk to her yourself in that thread. She would enjoy hearing from you. I see you are new here. I wish you had come here sooner. Wolfe used to like guns too.

Thank you for making me welcome.:wavey:

Silent_Runner
10-13-2009, 09:21
OK disregard my previous statement about posting in her thread.:whistling:

You must have been typing at the same time I was.:rofl::rofl:

sawgrass
10-13-2009, 10:02
TG, when you carry, how do you carry? That seems to be the million
dollar question for women.

I will be happy to elaborate on my incident but not today. I have to get back to work shortly. Would you prefer I post it in this thread or a different one

Silent_Runner

More folks might benefit from your expereince if you put it in a new thread.
It will likely be seen by more people.

At first the removal of the LW sticky scared me. Yes, I absolutely wish
I had found this site sooner. I hope Lone Wolfe is willing, as she desires
to share information. I get the impression she knows an awful lot about
firearms. LW are you listening? :cool:

Hello sawgrass. From whom did you hear about my gun collection? If I may ask. :supergrin:

:rofl::rofl:Let's just say, I put two and two together.

Yes you would enjoy shooting either Python. They have excellent triggers.

The only gun I own with a truely excellent trigger, is a Novak Custom Colt
1911, that I just bought. I seem to be developing a thing for 1911's, especially Colt 1911's. This hobby is very addicting.

Lone_Wolfe
10-13-2009, 11:35
Silent_Runner

More folks might benefit from your expereince if you put it in a new thread.
It will likely be seen by more people.

At first the removal of the LW sticky scared me. Yes, I absolutely wish
I had found this site sooner. I hope Lone Wolfe is willing, as she desires
to share information. I get the impression she knows an awful lot about
firearms. LW are you listening? :cool:

:rofl:Let's just say, I heard enough to put two and two together.....

I hope Silent_Runner does post that story. It's a good one. But when she gets to the part where she called a friend afterwards and woke her from a drunken sleep at 3AM in a hotel in Savannah I plead the 5th Amendment. :whistling:

So why did that thread going missing scare you?

What do you want me to tell you about my experiences with guns? I've been around them a bit. Just ask..... Hell, I've talked about ending up on the business end of one, I may as well talk about owning them.

If you have the scoop on Silent_Runners guns you must be friends with EddieF4. :supergrin: He chased me right up until I got rid of them... :rofl:

drpdw
10-13-2009, 14:34
Sawgrass, Lone Wolfe and other female shooters,

I am such a neophyte in this arena, and only have 3 guns so far: a .22LR Beretta, a Glock 26 and a Sig P239...love them all and, am a pretty decent shot. One of my regular shooting buds (an LEO) has me practice with his Keltec PF9 9mm in an point and shoot, one-handed manner. (I must admit...it's most empowering!) He suggests that I get one for a CCW rather than use my G26 (with Crimson Trace Laser sites on it).

So far, I am still struggling with the right carry method for the G26 :wow:. :cool: In today's mail, I just rec'd a belly band holster and it's 5 inches wide (yikes! :faint:) and it completely covers my waist and extends to the top of my ribcage. It would make a great belly-cincher, if I needed that. I did try positioning it over my hips, however, a little like an Old West holster...and may go with that, under a jacket or long shirt.

IWB and belt holsters aren't my style, and I truly need to stop carrying in my purse...I do know all of the reasons for this now, thanks to reading posts on the Women's Issues Forum.
-drpdw

sawgrass
10-13-2009, 18:09

Lot's of thoughts. I'm always glad to see you posting. Maybe
it means you are still fighting to heal. You sure have a lot of friends here.

Hell, I've talked about ending up on the business end of one, I may as well talk about owning them.

I agree. Noone actually told me anything about the collection.
I'm a mechanic, who is now a teacher. I'm good at problem
solving. :wavey:

LW, what is your attraction to revolvers? I had a Lightweight 642, I hated that gun. I shot a Colt Detective the other day at the range, and I loved
it. I would like to get one sometime.
SG

Lone_Wolfe
10-14-2009, 03:31
[COLOR=Purple]Sawgrass, Lone_Wolfe and other female shooters,....
Hi drpdw, I donít know how much help I can give, but I will if I can. I got the impression you wanted to ask something, but I donít know what.

So why did that thread going missing scare you?Lot's of thoughts. I'm always glad to see you posting. Maybe it means you are still fighting to heal. You sure have a lot of friends here.

OK, I know what youíre thinking. If that happened youíd find out soon enough from a slightly pissed off post by Silent_Runner. Yes, Iím still fighting, as you are seeing in there. BTW xsiv4s explained how to save a subscription to any thread in post #745. Iíve already tried it on a different thread and it works perfectly.

I agree. Noone actually told me anything about the collection.
I'm a mechanic, who is now a teacher. I'm good at problem
solving. :wavey:

LW, what is your attraction to revolvers? I had a Lightweight 642, I hated that gun. I shot a Colt Detective the other day at the range, and I loved
it. I would like to get one sometime.
SG

You do know I was joking about you knowing details about that collection, donít you? But depending who you talk to around here it might have been possible for you hear a bit about it or to have seen some of the pics I posted a while back or Silent_Runnerís recent thread showing some off. Itís hereÖ Colt Pythons (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1104820). Just read about the first page or so, it gets pretty silly after that.

Why did I like revolvers? Good question. I donít remember exactly why, I just did. They often fit my hands OK, I could shoot most of them well, and the 2 calibers I liked best are 357 and 45LC. Both revolver calibers. Plus I was something of a recoil junkie. I had a S&W 500 that would knock me back 2 steps. Want to see me cry like a little girl? Have me try that **** now!

If you arenít used to revolvers a lightweight has a sharper recoil. The heavier Colt on any non-airweight will feel much better. Once you get used to them you might like the 642 better.

Another thought on revolvers that would apply only to me here....
I have had the thought that if I ever do decide to get a gun again I would most likely be less adverse to a revolver because it's the most unlike the gun I was shot with.
Just a wierd thought going through my head........

sawgrass
10-14-2009, 08:30
I read the Colt Python thread, well the first few pages.
Those are beautiful guns. They are so classy looking.

I have to agree with something I saw in that thread regarding
bac1023. He IS a modern day knight on a white horse.
While his pics feed my 1911 addiction, his advice and
willingness to answer my questions are so appreciated.

Wolfe, Lady or Lone :cool:, Thanks for sharing your firearm
knowledge with us. I don't think it's weird that you will
lean towards a revolver when you decide to shoot again.
From those pics, heck, why not??

SR, how does that snubby feel when you shoot it?

SG

BTW, I did subscribe to the GNG thread, thanks LW.

Silent_Runner
10-14-2009, 09:36
But when she gets to the part where she called a friend afterwards and woke her from a drunken sleep at 3AM in a hotel in Savannah I plead the 5th Amendment. :whistling:

Don't even try to act all innocent.:whistling:

Originally Posted by sawgrass
Quote:

Lot's of thoughts. I'm always glad to see you posting. Maybe it means you are still fighting to heal. You sure have a lot of friends here.
OK, I know what youíre thinking. If that happened youíd find out soon enough from a slightly pissed off post by Silent_Runner. Yes, Iím still fighting, as you are seeing in there.

Slightly pissed off? Wolfe you had better rephrase that!:steamed:
And you will keep fighting your battle!

I read the Colt Python thread, well the first few pages.
Those are beautiful guns. They are so classy looking.

I have to agree with something I saw in that thread regarding
bac1023. He IS a modern day knight on a white horse.
While his pics feed my 1911 addiction, his advice and
willingness to answer my questions are so appreciated.

SR, how does that snubby feel when you shoot it?

SG

BTW, I did subscribe to the GNG thread, thanks LW.

Thank you sawgrass. I wish I could say I took those pictures.
I have spoken to bac1023 and he does seem nice enough. He seems to care about Wolfe too.

I have fired the snub Python with both 38 and 357 rounds and it is a very nice shooting gun. Recoil is not bad because of the weight.

I hope Wolfe never wants that one back.:whistling:
:rofl:

drpdw
10-14-2009, 10:43
[quote=Lone_Wolfe;13970598]Hi drpdw, I donít know how much help I can give, but I will if I can. I got the impression you wanted to ask something, but I donít know what.

Hi, Lone_Wolfe,
NO question on my end, just a little musing...Thanks!
-dpw

maybelle
10-17-2009, 22:25
Hey all! I don't get to post on here too often, but I am definitely intrigued by Lone_Wolfe as well. I gather she is in a long recovery process, misses having a good bathrobe, and loves cats. The few details I have picked up make her an inspiration :cat:

About me: I get to the range almost every day for work, but only about 2x a week for actual practice. I carry a G35, and switch to a G34 for competition. I take a S&W 642 in an Eagle running pack when out running or hiking. The dillon 650 is still packed up from the last move, and I am currently lusting over a STI Tactical in 9mm :embarassed:

Silent_Runner
10-18-2009, 09:51
maybelle if you think Wolfe is intriguing now just wait until you meet her!:whistling:

:couch:
:rofl:

drpdw
10-18-2009, 12:47
Maybelle,
Thanks for posting! I don't even know what type of weapons a S & W 642 or a Dillion 650 are, but I am going to research them!! Wow! I only have one CCW and it's a G26.

I am intrigued about your competition shooting and hope, one day, to enter the next tier of this new sport for me. I just took up the sport in December and am thoroughly enjoying myself on the range. Presently, I shoot around 150 9mm and 50 .22LR rounds at an indoor range, usually on a weekly basis, whenin town, and using a Sig P239 and Glock 26, and a Beretta Neos, respectively. So far, I do a decent job at 7 yards of hitting on or near the X or Q in the large silhouette targets. I just love it! At 15 yards, I run out a multiple oval or round circle (5 per sheet) target and hit fairly close to the center mark. Of the guys who shoot in the lanes next to me, one is a present LEO, and the other two, I believe, are former LEOs, or who were in the LEO biz. They get me to try out their weapons, all of the time, in a variety of calibres including .357, .38, and 45...always fun to do!

-drpdw :wavey:

Hey all! I don't get to post on here too often, but I am definitely intrigued by Lone_Wolfe as well. I gather she is in a long recovery process, misses having a good bathrobe, and loves cats. The few details I have picked up make her an inspiration :cat:

About me: I get to the range almost every day for work, but only about 2x a week for actual practice. I carry a G35, and switch to a G34 for competition. I take a S&W 642 in an Eagle running pack when out running or hiking. The dillon 650 is still packed up from the last move, and I am currently lusting over a STI Tactical in 9mm :embarassed:

Lone_Wolfe
10-18-2009, 13:44
Hey all! I don't get to post on here too often, but I am definitely intrigued by Lone_Wolfe as well. I gather she is in a long recovery process, misses having a good bathrobe, and loves cats. The few details I have picked up make her an inspiration : cat:

About me: I get to the range almost every day for work, but only about 2x a week for actual practice. I carry a G35, and switch to a G34 for competition. I take a S&W 642 in an Eagle running pack when out running or hiking. The dillon 650 is still packed up from the last move, and I am currently lusting over a STI Tactical in 9mm : embarassed:

Hi maybelle. I doubt I'm intriguing or an inspiration for anything, but I thank you for the kind words. You observations about me are....

1. Accurate. Yes, I've be trying to recover for over 10 months. Although I think I spent moe time regressing that progressing.
2. Inaccurate. A very kind GT'er named Zonny sent me the softest robe I've ever felt. If you saw that "Women and thier bathrobes thread then read to the end of it for a pic.
3. Accurate. Yes, I love cats. I have 2, but the person taking care of them dissapeared with them recently. :crying:

I used to have a G35 and 2 Dillon presses before I got rid of my guns.

maybelle if you think Wolfe is intriguing now just wait until you meet her!: whistling:

:couch:
: rofl:

I'll kick your ass for that when I get out of this ****hole! :steamed:

:supergrin:

Maybelle,
Thanks for posting! I don't even know what type of weapons a S & W 642 or a Dillion 650 are, but I am going to research them!! Wow! I only have one CCW and it's a G26.

-drpdw : wavey:

drpdw a Dillon 650 is a multi-station reloading press and a S&W 642 is a snubnose 38 spl revolver that is extremely popular for carry.

drpdw
10-18-2009, 16:46
Hi maybelle. I doubt I'm intriguing or an inspiration for anything, but I thank you for the kind words. You observations about me are....

1. Accurate. Yes, I've be trying to recover for over 10 months. Although I think I spent moe time regressing that progressing.
2. Inaccurate. A very kind GT'er named Zonny sent me the softest robe I've ever felt. If you saw that "Women and thier bathrobes thread then read to the end of it for a pic.
3. Accurate. Yes, I love cats. I have 2, but the person taking care of them dissapeared with them recently. :crying:

I used to have a G35 and 2 Dillon presses before I got rid of my guns.

I'll kick your ass for that when I get out of this ****hole! :steamed:

:supergrin:

drpdw a Dillon 650 is a multi-station reloading press and a S&W 642 is a snubnose 38 spl revolver that is extremely popular for carry.

Thanks, Maybelle! NOW I know that a Dillon 650 is not a weapon...Oops! I bet you had a smile on your face when you read my post! :rofl:
-drpdw

Lone_Wolfe
10-18-2009, 17:09
Thanks, Maybelle! NOW I know that a Dillon 650 is not a weapon...Oops! I bet you had a smile on your face when you read my post! :rofl:
-drpdw

:embarassed: Probably shouldn't have spoken for maybelle. :embarassed:

Silent_Runner
10-20-2009, 09:45
:laughabove: