Crock pot question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Crock pot question

NRA_guy
09-26-2009, 08:08
I have been using crock pots to cook red beans and rice and soup and stew for years.

I have also used a crock pot to cook barbecue but I do not like the resulting "boiled" barbecue flavor.

QUESTION: Is there any reason I cannot cook barbecue dry in my crock pot (without water)?

I mean, it would be just like cooking in a slow oven or grill turned down low---right?

Anybody ever tried dry coking in a crock pot?

31F20
09-28-2009, 10:46
Cooking without added liquid is fine. The fat in the meat will melt and provide some liquid. I would suggest adding a bit of bbq sauce and sliced onion to whatever your choice of meat. It will however make a hell of a clean up project.

NRA_guy
09-28-2009, 20:12
Yeah, I usually spray some PAM around the crock pot up front.

You got me to thinking, most meat now days has :up to 10% water added" or something. They inject it because water is cheaper than meat. And it always cooks out.

So I'd probably end up with liquid even starting dry.

Still, I plan to give it a try. Maybe I'll put something underneath the meat to raise it up a little.

Thanks.

tavo
10-03-2009, 16:37
A pork shoulder roast and a whole onion in the slow cooker work great. Don't even peel the onion and add nothing else. 8 hours later, take out the onion (we squeeze the guts out of it and mix it into the pork) and pull the pork apart with tongs. Season with any sauce you prefer and fix the seasonings.