Eglin AFB [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Eglin AFB

meeko
09-27-2009, 09:22
Anyone been stationed at Eglin? What is the base and local community like, what activities are around etc?
Thinking of a road trip and using my retired benifits there. Thanks for any info!

mesteve2
09-27-2009, 10:03
San Antonio, Texas,, USA.

I live here.

Lot of good stuff.

Best VA Hospital!

Morris
09-27-2009, 10:09
Did short tours at Hurlburt (several month blocks). Despite the big base, smallish beachside city, very dependent on the base for financials in the community. Obviously on the Gulf, fishing, boating, etc. Inland is some hunting (hog and other).

I enjoyed my times there although the land was entirely too flat for me and the sow who chased me with the palmettos on one training cycle will forever be burned in my brain.

Pook-60
09-27-2009, 19:19
Howdy

Been a while but I was stationed with the 33 FW on the TAC side of the base. Eglin was pretty great...can't see why that would change. Even now that the 33d has closed down (BRAC). They were a tenant unit anyway.

Huge part of the base is dedicated to AFMC activities. Includes a great test wing with the 46th.

Bass fishing was and I'm sure still is outstanding. There's a lake on base, across from the BX and though the woods. Once pulled a 6.5 lb large mouth out of there...threw him back. There's a number of offbase lakes with even better results.

Golf opportunities up the wazoo if that's what you're into.

If you're into scuba...the gulf has great visibility. If you're into beaches...the sand is so white there that you better not forget your sunglasses cause you won't be able to see a thing.

Downside...hurricanes. But they only roll in every now and then.

Bottomline...I'd go back in a heartbeat. Hope you have a hoot.

Dane

Morris
09-28-2009, 07:48
I remember thinking how insanely cheap houses and land was there, even on the Gulf side.

cphilip
09-28-2009, 17:56
I was born there and then returned many years later and grew up there. Left out in 1974 and have only been back once. Its nothing like it was then today. Grown up, Built up, was much rural back then. Great times and lots of space and miles of un crowded beaches outside of Destin and Fort Walton Beach. I can't advise you now on how it is but people still go and enjoy it.

meeko
09-28-2009, 19:15
Thanks guys! it might be a couple months but I thnk it would be a nice break. I am starting to regret these northern winters anymore.

Morris
09-28-2009, 21:52
Destin is busy during spring break but otherwise rather pretty.

ssgt_acft_mech
09-28-2009, 21:56
Thanks guys! it might be a couple months but I thnk it would be a nice break. I am starting to regret these northern winters anymore.

ever done a South Dakota Winter?

Morris
09-28-2009, 22:58
Actually put Minot on my dream sheet when I was young. Funny thing was, our beloved AF decided Eglin and the Dirty Turds was a better fit. :)

Classic AF.

meeko
09-30-2009, 14:14
ever done a South Dakota Winter?

I was stationed at Malmstrom Montana for 2 years and I was TDY from late OCT thrugh late JAN at ellsworth some years later. As a Security forces troop. you could say I've done my duty in COLD climates! Montana it snowed alot but South Dakota it seemed to snow sideways more!

ssgt_acft_mech
09-30-2009, 16:57
the snow has been hell the past couple of yrs. Its been drifting over my doors on my house....but thats ok...it will all be over for me come monday....Osan is fast approaching....sucks for the wife though

Morris
09-30-2009, 18:13
Still 1 year remotes?

ssgt_acft_mech
09-30-2009, 20:22
yeah its still pretty much a 1 yr but you have the option to do a 2-3 yr tour there with some extra money for it. I elected to leave the family here and just do the yr so I could get my follow-on loaction.....I really needed to leave this base

Morris
09-30-2009, 20:49
Just wait, the USAF, in it's infinite wisdom, will reassign you to someplace like BFE AFB . . . :)

Or my last base, Holloman.

ssgt_acft_mech
10-01-2009, 08:23
Nope...no BFE....Dover, DE

meeko
10-01-2009, 16:52
yeah its still pretty much a 1 yr but you have the option to do a 2-3 yr tour there with some extra money for it. I elected to leave the family here and just do the yr so I could get my follow-on loaction.....I really needed to leave this base

Thats one of the reasons I left Acitve Duty. I was due to get a 12-18 month remote to Korea. Sure they offered the command sponsered 2 years (on paper anyway) where you could go acompanied however they always disapproved most requests and I didn't want to take my family to that dump anyway! and everone (at least in the Security Police field) got thier fowllow on! right back at Malmstrom. the joke was you went TDY for a year to Korea
don't get me wrong montana rocks but some people like a change now and then!

Morris
10-01-2009, 20:49
Meeko, I understand. I was re-routed from Eglin to Holloman (talk about a difference). Beautiful country but the knowledge of going from there to Osan was daunting to me, looking at college. I Palace Chased and had fun later on.

Dover is a great base in nice country. Have fun!

Jeremy_K
10-01-2009, 20:54
I was at Holloman too. I escaped to Panama after 2 years. My Sister in law is at Eglin. She likes it there except for the storms. I had some friends who were stationed there too and they all liked it.

meeko
10-02-2009, 19:25
Meeko, I understand. I was re-routed from Eglin to Holloman (talk about a difference). Beautiful country but the knowledge of going from there to Osan was daunting to me, looking at college. I Palace Chased and had fun later on.

Dover is a great base in nice country. Have fun!

You mean someone's Palace Chase request actually got APPROVED. funny story, I put in for one and was denied due to "manning" the great SP excuse. Then 2 weeks later another troop on my flight got approved! talk about me having a Tootsie Roll Tootsie pop question :dunno:

I guess we were such a high speed unit two weeks made all the difference in the world

Morris
10-04-2009, 10:36
Well, in full disclosure, it was 1990 and Papa Bush was making the big cutbacks. I took the opportunity. Of course, I was a load toad and we were something like 115% manning strength.