Gun@mag capacity+1.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun@mag capacity+1....

PATRICE
09-27-2009, 13:31

April
09-27-2009, 14:07
Take a trip to the range. Load it +1 and see if you see any failures in a controlled environment. If keeping the firearm in this condition universally caused failure our LEO and MIL folks wouldn't carry in such a fashion all the time.

Regarding the spring fatigue... Being totally compressed or totally relaxed is the same wear on the spring. It's the act of compression/relaxing that wears it. Loading a mag and keeping it loaded isn't an issue, constant loading and unloading will eventually wear out a spring. Even so, a worn spring doesn't make the mag body trash as replacement springs can be purchased and magazines are usually pretty easy to take apart and rebuild.

Don't take a post or two here on GT as gospel truth. We're up to 428,000+ threads, 4,647,000+ posts and 111,340+ members on this fine forum... Not every one of those is a nugget worth holding on to. :wavey:

sawgrass
09-27-2009, 15:18
Regarding the spring fatigue... Being totally compressed or totally relaxed is the same wear on the spring. It's the act of compression/relaxing that wears it.

I agree.

Every pressure vessel out there (hi/low pressure boilers etc., residential water heater) are equipped with spring loaded safety devices which fortunately hold constant pressure, and relieves only if the pressure is exceeded.

mythaeus
09-29-2009, 08:30
No one had proven one way or the other that it's good or bad. All I know is that the life cycle of a magazine spring is like...forever (vs. recoil spring which needs to be replaced every so often).

What I would be more concerned about (from personal and others' experiences) is how often you cycle the same round in the chamber. I have had rounds where the bullets fall off after 4 - 5 cycles. I've seen rounds with the bullet significantly recessed into the case after repeated cycling. Keep this in mind, try to cycle the same round to 3 times max and put that round aside for range practice.

The cumulative effect of both of these concerns is that you MUST practice malfunction drills...tap, rack, fire, etc. (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64WM9861Xtk). Even if your gun is 100% at the range so far, it does not mean that it won't fail in the future and at ungodly time; therefore, you must account for failures.

Al

PATRICE
09-30-2009, 00:24