Anyone pocket carry their snub without a holster? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone pocket carry their snub without a holster?

tihash
09-28-2009, 10:41
I just got a S&W 638 snubbie. I bought a Nemesis holster for it and it looks awful in jeans or cargo shorts-- it looks like I have a brick in my pocket. I am slender and like to wear my clothes rather form fitting (i.e., I don't wear loose or baggy pants).

The gun, without a holster, conceals much better in both shorts and jeans. I don't keep anything else in the gun pocket and am comfortable that with the fairly heavy trigger pull no accidents will happen. But I don't like the idea of the gun coming into contact with so much lint, surface friction, etc. by not using a holster.

Does anyone pocket carry without a holster? Will the gun's finish hold up, etc if I do that? Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation on a more slim-line pocket holster than will not look so bulky in my pocket?

IWB is not an option because if I was wearing a shirt that would conceal the 638 well IWB I'd just take my Glock 27 IWB.

Thanks for the advice.

lwt210
09-28-2009, 11:13
I just got a S&W 638 snubbie. I bought a Nemesis holster for it and it looks awful in jeans or cargo shorts-- it looks like I have a brick in my pocket. I am slender and like to wear my clothes rather form fitting (i.e., I don't wear loose or baggy pants).

The gun, without a holster, conceals much better in both shorts and jeans. I don't keep anything else in the gun pocket and am comfortable that with the fairly heavy trigger pull no accidents will happen. But I don't like the idea of the gun coming into contact with so much lint, surface friction, etc. by not using a holster.

Does anyone pocket carry without a holster? Will the gun's finish hold up, etc if I do that? Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation on a more slim-line pocket holster than will not look so bulky in my pocket?

IWB is not an option because if I was wearing a shirt that would conceal the 638 well IWB I'd just take my Glock 27 IWB.

Thanks for the advice.

I carry a 442 as a BUG at work. For some reason, the way the pockets are cut on my trousers do not mesh with the Nemesis.

When at home or out and about off duty, I have a pair of cargo shorts that the Nemesis works well with. I also have to use the Nemesis with most of my jeans but one pair of jeans I have work better with just the 442.

So to answer your question, yes, I carry my 442 without a pocket holster......depending on the pants.

My uniform pants pockets position the 442 in a perfect way for an easy, fast draw. I keep nothing else in there to abrade the finish or get in the trigger guard.

Hope this helps. Experiment with what you have and find out what works best for you.

DustyJacket
09-28-2009, 12:29
Without a holster, the gun can/will rotate as you go through you day, making a quick grab difficult at best.

Without a closed-end holster your barrel will eventually fill with lint, or worse.

Without a hoster to cover the trigger, anything in your pocket (likekeys) may do very bad things.

shooter444002
09-28-2009, 22:15
I tote one in jeans with some paper folded in front of the gun to keep it from printing, it stays n place and have had no problems though it is not comfortable if doing lots of sitting and tends to drag the pants down even with belt on. Have come to prefer IWB.

Berto
10-01-2009, 11:09
You might consider just getting a cheap neoprene Uncle Mike's clip on holster. They are thin and pliable so they don't bulk things up much. You can trim it so it fits your needs too.
The problem with carrying without the pocket holster;

Gun rotates, moves around.
Crap gets in the gun.
Muzzle /front sight WILL wear a hole in the pocket.
Gun will print more.

cowboywannabe
10-01-2009, 11:44
i pocket carry a snub without a holster in the front pocket of a winter coat when the weather cooperates (and what not...LOL).

seafoxfla
10-01-2009, 12:24
I carry either an LCP or G27 IN A Nemesis holster. It also helps keep down the dirt and lint.

Dogguy
10-01-2009, 12:46
I just got a S&W 638 snubbie.... I am slender and like to wear my clothes rather form fitting (i.e., I don't wear loose or baggy pants)....

There's your problem.

Wear loose-fitting clothes like us fashionable old fat guys who are armed to the teeth. :rofl:

engineer88
10-07-2009, 23:18
Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation on a more slim-line pocket holster than will not look so bulky in my pocket?

Grats on the 638, it is a fine little pistol. You should check out the "Pocket Companion XL". My brother has one and swears by it:

http://www.grandfatheroak.com/Stockdesigns.html

Two Guns
10-08-2009, 18:18
I have in my Winter Jacket.

Rex G
10-10-2009, 19:25
I only pocket-carry without a holster when I need to do something like step outside for a few minutes, and will not be doing anything strenuous during those few minutes to allow the gun to rotate in the pocket. More often, depending upon the pants, I shove a SIG P229 into the pocket at these times, as it is too big to rotate.

I have use, or have used, synthetic pocket rigs by Uncle Mike's and Desantis, and leather pocket rigs by Galco and Kramer, to carry snubbies. Some pockets get along better with certain rigs. The Desantis Nemesis holsters eventually lost their exterior stickiness, and started coming out of the pocket, still on the gun. Uncle Mike's seem to stay sticky longer, but the current Nemesis is a bit different than the old ones, and may last longer. It is something to watch out for.

Beware of leather pocket holsters that are too form-fitted to the gun, and will stay on the gun, rather than in the pocket, during the draw. Old Desantis rigs I bought in the mid-1980's were like that, but if they still make leather ones, they may have fixed that problem by now.

Dogguy
10-12-2009, 06:05
I've been re-thinking this post. If you accept the limitations involved, pocket carry without a holster can be done very successfully with a Smith Bodyguard or Centennial--especially the Centennial. The guns seem to be immune to the lint and crud they can pick up in the pocket. As long as you carry nothing else in the same pocket as the gun and keep your finger off the trigger when drawing, there's virtually no chance of accidental discharge.

blakerm
10-31-2009, 08:33
Lint? pull your pocket out as if to express you have no money, and apply a few backhands to that hoe.
As Berto said, It is going to wear a hole when the jeans get old and soft.

ursoboostd
10-31-2009, 08:46
I just got my ccw. I've been carrying my 442 in my pocket by itself. I really like it so far. -Wade-

bamarammin87
11-11-2009, 18:46
Well I carryed a 638 for nearly a year with no holster. I had 3 holsters for it, Its just MUCH nicer without. I carryed it, barrel pointing up, handle pointing forward. With your hand in your pocket, right pocket btw, hook your index finger in the trigger guard and pull it up and forward. The handle hooks on your pocket and the gun flips and sets itself up to be shot ASAP. Works GREAT.

KB2MBC
12-01-2009, 21:20
Might I suggest a Mika's Pocket Holster:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/index.html

I use one with my M&P340 and looks good in my Dockers.

Chup
12-02-2009, 05:40
You have to dress around your Carry Gun. I carry a 442 in my Left Front Pocket in a Pocket Holster, the Right Pocket holds Peper Spray and Cash, Right Rear has Wallet and Knife, Left Rear has extra Mag for my G26 that is on my Belt at 3:30. On the Left side of my Belt is a Cell Phone at 8:30, At 9:oo is my Streamlight Scorpion Flashlight, 10:00 is a Pouch with Two Speed Strips of Reloads for my 442. I carry this every day all day under a T-Shirt or Camp Shirt or what ever. If you are serious about CCW and being ready to save you or someone else you have to ready for the unexpected.

Glockanatorrrrr
12-02-2009, 16:32
I understand what you are saying. Certain jeans I do not carry with a holster. THe gun doesn't rotate either. WHen possible I do carry with a holster.

jtull7
12-02-2009, 17:03
Do I want to shoot what's left of my legs?

I don't think so.

The thought of pocket carry without a holster with a revolver is absurd.

Might as well Mexican carry. Just as safe.

FloridaCCW
12-02-2009, 17:05

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe buy clothes that fit you? How form fitting are you talking about :whistling:

Ebb27
12-02-2009, 20:08
I sometimes carry my Ruger SP101 in a coat pocket.

Usually the left inside breast pocket.

Nothing else in the pocket and it's a DAO with a stout trigger, also no spur on the hammer to snag. If it moves around it, which it usually doesn't, it comes to rest on it's top with the grip still sticking up. No I won't be able to do some QuickDraw McGraw move but it can be deployed reasonably quickly and effortlessly.

It's a bit large and rather heavy for pants pocket carry, I've never tried that. I just use an IWB holster and a long shirt if I'm not wearing a good sized coat or jacket. Still there are times when it's nice to just slip it into a coat pocket and go.

ALL GLOCK
12-03-2009, 20:44
Do I want to shoot what's left of my legs?

I don't think so.

The thought of pocket carry without a holster with a revolver is absurd.

Might as well Mexican carry. Just as safe.

With a 14 lb. trigger pull, I would not worry. Ifv it were a Glock I might worry a little......:yawn:

mo.glocker
03-22-2010, 20:10
There's your problem.

Wear loose-fitting clothes like us fashionable old fat guys who are armed to the teeth. :rofl:
dogguy that was hilarious-jeff:rofl:

Glock 17L
03-25-2010, 20:17
I never carry any of my guns without a holster..
As stated above blowing your package off by mistake isn't an option for me..
I have several holsters for Snubbies, Kramer, Rafter S. but the one I use the most for pocket carry is a cheap Uncle Mikes IWB holster with the clip removed, It's lightweight, clingy on the outside & smooth on the inside & just works for me, I mostly wear Levi's jeans..
Fits the gun better than UMs Pocket holster & just enough room in my pocket for the gun to disapear..
Here's a pic of a few of my snubbie holsters, Note: The UM with the clip removed with 342Ti w/Eagle Secret Service Grips, 642 in Kramer Pocket, & 940 in the Rafter S. which is my favorite OWB holster made of sharkskin & leather..
Gary/Hk
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8591/jframeholsters.jpg