Beware of Flood-Damaged Vehicles for Sale [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Flood-Damaged Vehicles for Sale

isuzu
09-28-2009, 18:46
In the next few months to probably the next two years, one may encounter a used vehicle that is being sold at prices that are lower than the current used prices. These could be vehicles that have been written off because of extensive water damage caused by the recent floods.

Although problems may not be encountered in the first year after purchasing a flood-damaged vehicle, more serious problems such as corrosion on the body, and worse, corrosion on the electrical systems will eventually appear.

CatsMeow
09-28-2009, 19:13
I read somewhere that some of the vehicles being destroyed in movies are those which can't be sold by dealers due to flood damage. The US government also got a bunch of Piper (or was it Cessna?) twin-engine planes which were new when they got flooded, and used them for crash testing.

Clusterbomb
09-28-2009, 20:54
In the next few months to probably the next two years, one may encounter a used vehicle that is being sold at prices that are lower than the current used prices. These could be vehicles that have been written off because of extensive water damage caused by the recent floods.

Although problems may not be encountered in the first year after purchasing a flood-damaged vehicle, more serious problems such as corrosion on the body, and worse, corrosion on the electrical systems will eventually appear.

My worry is those less-than-honest car owners who will try to sell their waterlogged cars AT current used car prices. Syempre, marami dyan na hindi aamin. Plano ko pa naman bumili nxt year. I guess I have to save up for a brand new car just to be safe.

batangueno
09-28-2009, 22:45
Isuzu, may tips ka ba kung pano ayusin yung mga kotseng nalubog? May pag-asa pa ba yung electronics ng sasakyan?

jimbullet
09-28-2009, 23:42
My worry is those less-than-honest car owners who will try to sell their waterlogged cars AT current used car prices. Syempre, marami dyan na hindi aamin. Plano ko pa naman bumili nxt year. I guess I have to save up for a brand new car just to be safe.

Baka marami din mga brand new na nalubog:supergrin:

At least may warranty...

PMMA97
09-29-2009, 00:17
Andaming brand new cars not covered by "Acts of God". Tsk.

Wp.22
09-29-2009, 00:24
Brand new cars from dealership na nalubog papadala yan sa mga provicial delaers nila na hindi affcetd ng flooding.

Clusterbomb
09-29-2009, 02:24
What do you call that electronic component/box that controls the fuel injection? Yun pa lang daw Php30K+ na ang brand new replacement.

Kikita ng husto ang mga talyer dito! Pero kahit yata ipa-detail mo yung sasakyan di na babalik yung original na look and smell nya. Sa US ba pinagtyatyagaan pa nilang ipagawa at gastusan yung mga nalubog na sasakyan (Hurricance Katrina comes to mind)?

Wp.22
09-29-2009, 02:55
What do you call that electronic component/box that controls the fuel injection? Yun pa lang daw Php30K+ na ang brand new replacement.

Kikita ng husto ang mga talyer dito! Pero kahit yata ipa-detail mo yung sasakyan di na babalik yung original na look and smell nya. Sa US ba pinagtyatyagaan pa nilang ipagawa at gastusan yung mga nalubog na sasakyan (Hurricance Katrina comes to mind)?

ECU sir ang tawag sa computer box that controls the injection air fuel ratio ( sa honda cars)

saki1611
09-29-2009, 03:43

my car was half sinked during the flood. what i did is disconnect the battery during the flood, after the flood i removed the computer box and washed it with water and soap, then dried it with a hair drier, then washed it again with alcohol, lighter fluid is much better, then dried it again with the drier. haven't tested it yes because i need to change the engine oil and gear oil. but the same thing we did to my friend's honda's computer box, no problem at all.

Wp.22
09-29-2009, 04:14
"If your car has been submerged in water deep enough to reach base of windshield DO NOT attempt to start car without changing oil, oil filter and drying out combustion chamber, electrical systems. Those with EFI engines should remove their ECUs clean and dry them out with nonresidue electrical/electronics cleaner if possible to avoid further damage. Best is to have them checked and attended to ASAP without starting them beforehand. DISCONNECT the batteries ASAP."

Wp.22
09-29-2009, 04:15
Saki ganito ba nangyari sayo

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs223.snc1/7022_103134636368235_100000150962600_89059_770650_n.jpg

saki1611
09-29-2009, 04:27
Saki ganito ba nangyari sayo

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs223.snc1/7022_103134636368235_100000150962600_89059_770650_n.jpg

kawawa naman may ari, buti naman di ganyan inabot ng kotse ko...

maraf
09-29-2009, 05:13
Avoid using any alcohol based formula on the ECU or in layman's computer box. It will remove the varnish layer that protects the circuit on the board. Just wash it down with clean water if you don't have a contact cleaner and allow to dry with air dryer or blower.

The first to save in your car is the ECU, engine and transmission.

jimbullet
09-29-2009, 05:15
my car was half sinked during the flood. what i did is disconnect the battery during the flood, after the flood i removed the computer box and washed it with water and soap, then dried it with a hair drier, then washed it again with alcohol, lighter fluid is much better, then dried it again with the drier. haven't tested it yes because i need to change the engine oil and gear oil. but the same thing we did to my friend's honda's computer box, no problem at all.

I hope the ECU works as the flood waters appear to be like mud

maraf
09-29-2009, 05:15
kawawa naman may ari, buti naman di ganyan inabot ng kotse ko...

Mud increases the deterioration of the electric/electronic circuit and system and accelerates rust formation

productionguy
09-29-2009, 05:31
kaya ayoko ng efi na oto,hirap i maintain..with carburator car madali lang ayusin kahit nalubog sa baha...
kanina sa toyota balintawak ayaw ng tumanggap ng service,ung camry at fortuner ng mga kaibigan ko dito sa bulacan aabutin ng more than 4 months bago masimulan magawa..
kaya ang naging solusyon nila is to buy 5 brand new diesel suv para may magamit sila.5 cars din kasi nalubog sa kanila.

saki1611
09-29-2009, 07:58
Avoid using any alcohol based formula on the ECU or in layman's computer box. It will remove the varnish layer that protects the circuit on the board. Just wash it down with clean water if you don't have a contact cleaner and allow to dry with air dryer or blower.

The first to save in your car is the ECU, engine and transmission.

oh i see, so alcohol based solutions are bad. it's good thing i finished it with a contact cleaner that has a protector film after it dries.

9MX
09-29-2009, 08:28
kailangan din ata magparepack ng grasa sa ball joints

Allegra
09-29-2009, 09:15
May computer box ba mga diesel?

saki1611
09-29-2009, 09:18

ongaH!

9MX
09-29-2009, 09:45
oh i see, so alcohol based solutions are bad. it's good thing i finished it with a contact cleaner that has a protector film after it dries.

contact cleaner lang dapat..ang alcohol..disinfectant yan:rofl:

batangueno
09-29-2009, 10:04
Wag din kayo magpapagasolina sa mga gasolinahan na binaha.

Wp.22
09-29-2009, 18:23
May computer box ba mga diesel?

Yung mga newer one's fafa alam ko meron na. YUng Pajero galing subic ng brother ko meron.

Wp.22
09-29-2009, 18:29
ilan sa mga honda na nalubog
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/nadasurf420/09262009003.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/nadasurf420/09262009004.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/nadasurf420/09262009005.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/nadasurf420/09262009006.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/nadasurf420/09262009007.jpg

Wp.22
09-29-2009, 18:31
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/nadasurf420/09262009008.jpg

CatsMeow
09-29-2009, 19:07

Is it applicable to an old Vitara like mine (traditional part-time 4x4)? I asked my suki station after the last flood (not this one) to do so and they said they can't because it's "sealed type".

Wp.22
09-29-2009, 19:42
Nix, i think it's the axel that needs repacking lalo kung torn na yung rubber boots.

isuzu
09-29-2009, 20:16
Isuzu, may tips ka ba kung pano ayusin yung mga kotseng nalubog? May pag-asa pa ba yung electronics ng sasakyan?

All fluids have to be drained and replaced before even attempting to start the car. Check if the air intake hose has water. If there is water present, you may have to take out the cylinder head.

Saki was correct to disconnect the terminals from the battery to prevent electric short circuit.

Chances are that the floodwaters had a good percentage of salt in it, and electrical systems will definitely slowly corrode. Electrical anomalies may slowly appear as the corrosion progresses. Replacing all the electrical systems may prove more expensive than just writing off the vehicle. Don't believe insurance adjusters that since the electrical systems have been cleaned and dried, they're okay. Water seeps through electrical connectors and will definitely corrode the wires over time.

New generation ECUs are now located at the highest point on the firewall, and is well sealed. A good way to check the function of the ECU is to run diagnostics.

New_comer
09-29-2009, 20:49
Looking at it from the bright side, I guess you can still use the shell, frame and underchassis as a base for a project dragster you've long dreamed of owning.

That Yaris or Jazz can be a monster hatch after ext(p)ensive rework ^^

Wp.22
09-29-2009, 21:18
my baha phobic friend called me this morning if i know somebody that fix his 2006 honda city automatic. The car was submerge with flood waters. This was the second time and second car that got submerged in the water because he is either lazy or afraid to step of the flood waters to move his car.

CatsMeow
09-30-2009, 01:41
There's a lot of cars in front of Honda Quezon Avenue right now, all awaiting their turn at the servicing area. Also, Banawe St. (east) is unusually crowded.

OT: where did True Weight go? I passed by Araneta a while ago and saw an empty shop.

jimbullet
09-30-2009, 02:23
I dont suppose a comprehensive insurance covers for floods which are classified as acts of God/ natural calamities are they? repairs are going to be expensive.

Wp.22
09-30-2009, 03:27
I dont suppose a comprehensive insurance covers for floods which are classified as acts of God/ natural calamities are they? repairs are going to be expensive.

Actually there is a provision in your policy about acts of god you just need to pay an additional to the premium. Both our cars are covered with Acts of God/force majeure ( typhoon, flooding, earthquake etc.)

BrassKnuckle
09-30-2009, 04:13
I visited a friend in Cainta today. On the way to his place I saw a number of trashed vehicles that were so new, they did not even have their plate numbers yet.

Kawawa talaga...

New_comer
09-30-2009, 22:23
Daming namimili sa sulit.com ng flooded cars. May salaysay pa doon 2008 Montero Sport going for 800K only. 50% discount!

batangueno
10-01-2009, 15:51
All fluids have to be drained and replaced before even attempting to start the car. Check if the air intake hose has water. If there is water present, you may have to take out the cylinder head.

Saki was correct to disconnect the terminals from the battery to prevent electric short circuit.

Chances are that the floodwaters had a good percentage of salt in it, and electrical systems will definitely slowly corrode. Electrical anomalies may slowly appear as the corrosion progresses. Replacing all the electrical systems may prove more expensive than just writing off the vehicle. Don't believe insurance adjusters that since the electrical systems have been cleaned and dried, they're okay. Water seeps through electrical connectors and will definitely corrode the wires over time.

New generation ECUs are now located at the highest point on the firewall, and is well sealed. A good way to check the function of the ECU is to run diagnostics.

Thanks. I'll pass this on to my friends na binaha ang sasakyan.

Duckman1975
10-01-2009, 18:13

+1 foretunners fuel pump brand new 80K, madaming casa ang kikita ngayon.

CatsMeow
10-01-2009, 19:30
Oh yes the casas are really gonna make a killing this time. In Otis the Honda, Mitsubishi and Toyota dealers are crowded. I even saw a Fortuner with mud up to its roof, was the flood THAT high?:shocked:

The Isuzu dealer is not so crowded, but then Isuzu does not sell cars.:supergrin:

jimbullet
10-02-2009, 00:50
Perhaps it turned over otherwise would have thought the vehicle would float

Wp.22
10-04-2009, 18:41
i just came from honda libis to have my 10k pms i asked the service advisor how many flooded cars they have for repair. 100 units full capacity and 700 units waiting list.