Problems with concealment (Glock 23) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Problems with concealment (Glock 23)

maynardwix
09-29-2009, 09:33
I just received my CWL and would now like to carry, the problem is that I am new at this and have problems with "printing". I have tried baggier shirts, and button shirts that have prints on them, they all help but I still don't feel comfortable with it. I have seen a lot of different types of holsters (I have a cheap IWB) like the Smart Carry but I don't know how well that would work with the cloths I wear on a regular basis in the summer. I do have a bag like the one below;

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/All-Products/Accessories/Bags-Backpacks/PUSH-Pack/D/30100/P/1:100:50000:50800:50805/I/56037

And that could be an option sometimes (likes night walks with the wife and daughter, or going places where I need to carry more things than usual) but it wouldn't work just for EDC (every day carry). I really didn't want to go this route but seeming to think that I may have to resort to the fanny pack method (No bulky "gun fanny pack" though)for EDC. This is what I would consider;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g3SwEk6lAc

Also keep in mind that I don't have to much a problem looking like a "dork" carring a fanny pack as long as I am able to carry my gun and most people will not be able to tell that I am. If anyone has any suggestions please share them, I just am having big difficulty in this with the size of me (I'm not a skinny guy) and with the shorts and t-shirts I usually wear, concealing my gun (and being confident it is "concealed"). I know guys who do it and it works for them, I know in winter time (and with a new holster like the CrossBreed Super Tuck or possibly the Smart Carry Holster) I will be able to make it work, but in the summer time it is just not working for me.
:faint:

Thanks for taking the time to read through this and apreciate and input.

Jon_R
09-29-2009, 13:27
Printing is all relative and not against the law to print. Concealed from plain sight is the law.

I carry my G23 in a Comp-Tac M-Tac holster just behind the centerline. I use a 5 Stitch Wilderness Belt. My carry clothes is cargo shorts or jeans and an untucked t-shirt. Works for me. I didn't go out and buy bigger t-shirts it just the same XLs I have been wearing forever. If someone who knows what to look for studies me and can guess good for them. I stood in line for food a couple weeks ago in front of two county sherrifs and they didn't notice or didn't care since they didn't say anything.

Gear up comfortable and head out for the mall, home depot, or Wal-Mart and see what happens. I bet nothing happens. Just relax and wander around.

40 Cal Joe
09-29-2009, 13:30
When I carry the 23, its in a SuperTuck over the appendix (1 o'clock). A quality holster makes the difference.

For bag carry:
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6&idcategory=4

This bag has a conceal carry compartment. When we are out and about, the 23 or the 22 goes in with no problem.

maynardwix
09-29-2009, 17:41
Printing is all relative and not against the law to print. Concealed from plain sight is the law.

I carry my G23 in a Comp-Tac M-Tac holster just behind the centerline. I use a 5 Stitch Wilderness Belt. My carry clothes is cargo shorts or jeans and an untucked t-shirt. Works for me. I didn't go out and buy bigger t-shirts it just the same XLs I have been wearing forever. If someone who knows what to look for studies me and can guess good for them. I stood in line for food a couple weeks ago in front of two county sherrifs and they didn't notice or didn't care since they didn't say anything.

Gear up comfortable and head out for the mall, home depot, or Wal-Mart and see what happens. I bet nothing happens. Just relax and wander around.

Thanks bud for the advise, I was not sure what the law was (if there was one) on printing here. I also posted this same thread in the "concealment" section of this forum and got a lot of great responses there also. They were basicly the same (get a quality holster and belt, don't worry to much about printing, etc), so it gave me the go ahead to go out to Wal-Mart and a couple other places and try it out. It went fine, I wore on of my bit larger t-shirts and put my cheap IWB holster on and went for it. I was nervous at first thinking everyone knew what I had, but after a little while it was fine and I realized that 90% of it was in my head. I still need to get a new quality holster and a good gun belt, but I realize that I can make this work even with what I have. I will eventually get a 27 and make everything even easier, but it is great to know that I made it work with what I have. Thanks again for your input.

When I carry the 23, its in a SuperTuck over the appendix (1 o'clock). A quality holster makes the difference.

For bag carry:
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6&idcategory=4

This bag has a conceal carry compartment. When we are out and about, the 23 or the 22 goes in with no problem.

Thanks for the input, I am looking at a few different good holsters to upgrade too, along with a good belt.

The bag you posted is about the same as the one I have, and it is great for walks with the wife and daughter (doubles as a diaper bag :rofl:) but for EDC into stores, gas stations, and such it just isn't something I'd carry. But if you read above, I got the nerve to try it with what I have and realize that a lot of it is in my head, I still need a better holster though and belt.

djegators
10-10-2009, 22:10
Nothing says concealed carry like a fanny pack! I would stay away from those if I were you. I carry a G23, IWB, quite frequently. I don't have a fancy holster, just a Bianchi clip-on. But the leather is comfy, and it holds the gun tightly to my side when clipped just in front of my hip. As long as my shirt is not too tight, or too short, I don't think anyone can tell. It also gets easier as you get more comfy with it, and are not constantly adjusting your holster, or pulling on your shirt, etc. Head over to 'carry issues' forum here, if you have not already.

I believe this is the same holster I am using, found it for about $40.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=100

Dillusion
10-12-2009, 19:55
I'm pretty sure printing is illegal...

BSG62
10-13-2009, 06:36
I'm pretty sure printing is illegal...

It's not. It doesn't mean it's a great idea, but it's not illegal.

JungleJim
10-17-2009, 11:54
At 5'8" 175#s I'm not a big guy and I carry the 23 and really don't have an issue with printing. I use a G code, started with the paddle but picked up the belt attachment and I am very happy with it. My wife will usually ask if I have it, if she's not seeing it, and she knows I carry, I am not worried about others seeing it.

Now when I'm on my bike, well that's another story.

VaporLock24
10-23-2009, 23:34
message has been deleted

pearldrummerelx
10-25-2009, 02:11
I'm 6'4" 235 and I usually carry in an MTAC at 3:00. I have the slide versions for both 9/40/357 and 45/10. I've carried a 21 all the way to a 27. Sometimes I print when sitting down, but as mentioned before, it's not illegal to print. As long as it is concealed from plain sight, you're fine. As soon as the gun can actually be seen, that's when you're breaking the law. An outline through a shirt is not considered seeing a gun.

People are oblivious. I'm sure you've noticed now that you've gone out and carried. The few people that actually take the time to look someone over to see if they're carrying are usually the good guys anyways. When it comes down to it, if someone sees the outline of your gun and you get made, as long as you have your CWL, you're covered. Once they see your actual gun is when you run into problems.

Take the time to play with it. Find your sweet spot. Get a good stiff belt and a quality holster, and you'll be fine. I'm able to get away with a 5.11 trainer's belt along with the MTAC and 1.5" C-clips. Good luck to ya.

Coeus
10-25-2009, 02:31
Another Floridian checking in. Printing, while not the best idea, is not against the law in Florida as others have also mentioned. A good holster and belt go a long way. I use an MTAC from Comptac at the 9:00 position for my G19 along with a Beltman belt (I'm left handed). I find this to be the best position for me personally to conceal the grip of the gun.

I generally wear cargo shorts with polos that I buy from LLBean. Their shirts use a heavy/thicker material that does a better job of draping over the firearm than a typical t-shirt or polo does. Combine that with a striped pattern to break up any outlines and even friends and family members that know I carry aren't able to tell when I'm armed.

maynardwix
10-30-2009, 14:34
I'm 6'4" 235 and I usually carry in an MTAC at 3:00. I have the slide versions for both 9/40/357 and 45/10. I've carried a 21 all the way to a 27. Sometimes I print when sitting down, but as mentioned before, it's not illegal to print. As long as it is concealed from plain sight, you're fine. As soon as the gun can actually be seen, that's when you're breaking the law. An outline through a shirt is not considered seeing a gun.

People are oblivious. I'm sure you've noticed now that you've gone out and carried. The few people that actually take the time to look someone over to see if they're carrying are usually the good guys anyways. When it comes down to it, if someone sees the outline of your gun and you get made, as long as you have your CWL, you're covered. Once they see your actual gun is when you run into problems.

Take the time to play with it. Find your sweet spot. Get a good stiff belt and a quality holster, and you'll be fine. I'm able to get away with a 5.11 trainer's belt along with the MTAC and 1.5" C-clips. Good luck to ya.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Since I last posted (about a month ago) I have been carrying a lot and am getting more and more comfortable. I have come to realize that the printing that I was originally seeing was really nothing and I was over analizing it. I knew it was printing because I knew it was there and knew what to look for. I know what you mean about people being obvious, I know that since I've started carrying, I look everyine up and down, I have yet to see someone else carrying but I know it's just a matter of time. I have not seen anyone looking me over yet, but that too is probably just a matter of time. I have a Crossbreed SuperTuck on the way (birthday gift from wife), I'm excited to get it, I know it will at least make carrying a bit more comfortable. Like I said, thanks for taking the time to give your advise, it is still helpful to ease my mind.

Another Floridian checking in. Printing, while not the best idea, is not against the law in Florida as others have also mentioned. A good holster and belt go a long way. I use an MTAC from Comptac at the 9:00 position for my G19 along with a Beltman belt (I'm left handed). I find this to be the best position for me personally to conceal the grip of the gun.

I generally wear cargo shorts with polos that I buy from LLBean. Their shirts use a heavy/thicker material that does a better job of draping over the firearm than a typical t-shirt or polo does. Combine that with a striped pattern to break up any outlines and even friends and family members that know I carry aren't able to tell when I'm armed.

Thanks for the tip on the LLBean polos, I will have to check them out, I am a big Tshirt guy, I also wear Columbia shirts now and then, but after all the talk about polos I am going to have to ty them. As you said, the thicker material and a striped pattern sounds like it is a great idea, I'm going to have to get a few and give them a go. As I said above, I have a CB SuperTuck on the way and I'm sure that will help, along with making it more comfortable. Thanks a lot for your help.

JungleJim
10-30-2009, 20:23
What do you use on a bike? i ride and i wanted to carry when i ride, Miami drivers are crazy!

It's easier when the weather cools and I wear my jacket regularly. Otherwise, I have my wife cover it when she's on back, wear a loong shirt or pocket carry my .38

Genso
11-06-2009, 19:29
The Smart Carry will work great and you will definitely not have any printing problems. But the G23 is pretty big for the SC and will get uncomfortable. Another issue is that your jeans need to be loose so you can properly grip and draw the G23.

I have a CompTac MTAC .40 slide like many here (fits G27/G23/G22) and I've used it quite a bit for all 3 of my Glock 40s. Great, dependable holsters and the G23 won't print enough to matter with a loose t-shirt, except maybe the mag well will poke out a little if you lean forward (I think many CCWers learn pretty quickly to squad rather than lean forward).

I've actually also carried my G23 quite a bit on a Galco Ankle Glove holster. The holster is made for a G27 but will work for the 23 also. It does get heavy.

Lately i"ve been using the Raven Concealment Systems Phantom Light Carrier holster for my G23 + Streamlight TLR1. I wear that OWB just about everyday, but I also work in a field where concealment is optional.

Honestly I think your best bet is just to get a G27, and your printing issues will vanish and the comfort level will go up as well in just about any quality holster (SC, MTAC, ankle rig). Mark my words, you will NEVER regret getting a G27.

seafoxfla
11-08-2009, 19:58
Normally carry the 23 in a Bluegrass Hybrid holster which also fits my G27 and M&P 45 just fine. I will also carry my 1911 in a Crossbreed Super Tucker.

derp
11-09-2009, 23:34
cargo shorts,jeans, 1 size larger polo shirt a good iwb holster and belt and forget about the printing, we all go thru it when we first start carry is just the way it is over time u won't even think about it and i'll be normal. as for holsters i use a comp-tac ctac most of the time, i also have a don hume iwb for quick going to get milk kind of thing at 12 oclock appendix carry and when i want to use an owb i use a glock sporter holster(i believe is the name of it) which i never thought i'll work so good for the price, but remember what works for me might not work for u everybody is different so keep trying untill u get what works for u the best, good luck

tankermw
11-21-2009, 14:05
Here's what I carry my 23 in. Great holster! Great price ($50) Kydex is the way to go here in FL http://alabamaholster.com/index.php?p=2_17
A t-shrit will cover it.
http://alabamaholster.com/modules/gallery/albums/hooker23/thumb/090420082323_hooker.jpg

PPP
11-21-2009, 14:52
I carry a 23 in a crossbreed holster on a 5.11 leather gun belt.

I like the set up fine my only complaint is that the crossbreed holster makes a squeaking noise sometimes.

I have tried other carry options and like some of them fine:

Kahr p9 in a leather iwb.

1911 in a good pancake holster (nice for winter).

XD in aholster IWB.

Keltec back up in aholster pocket holster.

5.11 holster t shirt with the kahr or the 23.

Ultimately I like the 23 or 19 in the crossbreed (if I can get the squeak out) or the aholster iwb. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes though.

FlaChef
11-21-2009, 18:05
well, it's not a glock, but i like my Steyr in a Fist #K10 IWB on a wilderness instructors belt.

MarkUCF
11-22-2009, 13:11
I carry a G23 in a Comp-Tac M-TAC holster at 4 o'clockish without issues for the most part. The only thing that bothers me is that when I sit down and then stand up, my shirt tends to tuck a little bit between the pistol and my body... but this can be fixed with a quick tug at the back of my shirt without alerting casual observers.

I'm about 5'9, 135 lbs... skinny. So it's not a matter of body size.