+1 carry...likely 2 jam on f/u shot? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : +1 carry...likely 2 jam on f/u shot?

PATRICE
10-08-2009, 20:02

sawgrass
10-08-2009, 20:53

PATRICE
10-09-2009, 12:06

Nickotym
10-09-2009, 13:02
Patrice, I'll call him and get the skinny.
I do remember him saying, he didn't want to
be the 1 in 1000, to have a jam on the second shot.

SG

This could happen with the second shot even if you don't load up +1. If this is a worry, why doesn't the gun jam more often when putting the first round in the chamber? I have to think this instructor is suffering from TOYA syndrome (talking out your a**).

I have never had an issue with a gun jamming because I had it loaded +1. I carry a 1911 with a 7rd mag and +1 in chamber. (Never had this gun jam to my memory.)

In the end it all comes down to what you think is best, but make your decision on sound principles, not on what someone else "thinks" is going to happen, unfounded or not.

sawgrass
10-09-2009, 14:53

PATRICE
10-10-2009, 05:11

PATRICE
10-10-2009, 06:44

Jtemple
10-10-2009, 06:58
I carry and shoot my glocks with a full mag +1 and have never had a problem.

sawgrass
10-10-2009, 09:02

wrencher
10-10-2009, 09:17
I don't carry all my pistols one up-Glock 19 for instance, gosh-15r, if 15 isn't enough, I doubt the extra round will make a difference.:whistling:
I have a couple of single stack pistols, though, with say-6-8r capacity in the magazine. These I load +1 to get an extra round.
The ones that I +1, I always +1, practice, carry, always. I have complete faith in them carried that way, because I've shot many rounds in practice, all loaded +1.:cool:

Mrs.Cicero
10-10-2009, 17:14
However, this instructor that you appear to be disparaging, is apparently respected by at least one of our members. I don't think that it's appropriate to show that sort of disrespect, here. I politely request that everyone check their bad manners at the door of this sub-forum. --Patrice.

I fail utterly to see any attempt at disparagement of anyone in the post referenced. What he said was right on. I don't take ANYONE'S word for anything til I've done the research myself, and all he did was remind everyone of that good idea. I don't think it's appropriate to scold people just because you don't like their gender in this forum. I politely request that you check the chip on your shoulder at the door of this sub-forum, before everyone quits posting for fear of saying something you take badly. --Mrs.Cicero

PATRICE
10-10-2009, 18:04
<curtsy>.....</curtsy>

Mrs.Cicero
10-10-2009, 18:39
funny how snarky you get when I do to you precisely what you've done to others on this forum. It didn't feel good, did it? I won't do it again because for the first time in years, I've used the ignore function. I hope you do the same.

Mrs.Cicero

PATRICE
10-10-2009, 19:14

wrencher
10-10-2009, 20:27
what a very odd thread this has turned out to be...:dunno:

PATRICE
10-10-2009, 20:36

Nickotym
10-12-2009, 08:59
No offense was meant by my post and I am sorry it was taken that way.

My post was meant to point out, as Mrs C said also, that we can't take everything that comes out the mouths of instructors as gospel, because they can make mistakes too.

Sorry you felt you had to remove your posts Sawgrass and Patrice.

sawgrass
10-12-2009, 09:27
For me it's like this.

I just want to talk about guns.
It's the internet and we will not always agree.
We are adults. Frankly, I deal with my "feelings" at the coffee
shop. I'm here because it's a gun forum.
I pulled my posts, because this was Patrice's thread, and
I don't want to speak for someone (instructor), who is
perfectly capable of speaking for himself.

All plus one threads, are odd. Between all the different guns,
all the different gun habits, different ammo, you can't say
anything will happen 100% of the time. Noone said that.

As far as manners, gender, and the other issues that exist
in the women's subforum, again, we are adults.

If men don't post here, this sub-forum will dry up.
It's women's issues, not women only.

Mrs.Cicero
10-12-2009, 11:23
I posted what I did because the first time I read something by Patrice where I felt she was slamming on a man just for being male in this forum, I said nothing. The second time it happened, I began avoiding this forum and when I came here, avoiding her posts. When I recognized I was doing this, I also remembered that in 13 years of taking tactical pistol courses and competitions, many, many times I have been the only woman among two dozen or more men. (Actually I can think of only four occasions when there were any other women present). In all those years, three times something has been said in my hearing that was off-color. EVERY time, another man (not a relative, and usually someone I had never met before) has stopped the speaker short with a "hey, there's a lady present" and I've gotten a "whoops, sorry!" and that ended it. I was failing to show the same courtesy by not saying anything here, and this REALLY bothered me.
So the last time it happened, I did. Perhaps it would have been better said in a PM to Patrice, or through Mrs.VR, this forum's moderator. If so, then I am sorry I did not think to use those methods before simply responding to the post, and I expect Patrice might be sorry she didn't use those options herself when offended by the men posting here. In any case, it did need to be said because according to the PMs I have received over this (more than over anything else i've said in 5 years on Glocktalk), there are women who have stopped posting here, and/or refuse to start posting here, because of what they too perceived as male-bashing. It would be unfortunate if the resources of this forum were limited to only women who prefer not to tolerate the presence of men in their midst. A lot of good info and experience would be lost that way, and a lot of other women would be limited to asking their questions on forums less likely to receive relevant answers to their posts. I will be very sorry if that occurs.

As to the original question, I have carried 15+1, 13+1 and 10+1 depending on the year in question, for 13 years of CCW carry. I practiced an average of 100 rounds per week over that time period, that being 6-10 mags once weekly. I always do administrative loading when carrying, but do not always do it at the range when practicing, so I am shooting only one mag per week that is admin loaded. Still, that is 650+ admin loaded magazines over 13 years that have functioned just fine. I carry with my newest mags and I replace the mag springs when I notice a difference between them when cleaning. I have never been told not to carry with an admin loaded pistol, but I have heard "don't leave your gun like that when you aren't carrying it" before. I have never had anyone back up that statement with a study showing mag spring failure rates due to +1 carry, nor had anyone tell me that they, personally, have had a failure because of it. Therefore, my carry gun is admin loaded 24/7 except for the one hour per week it gets on the range when only the first mag is loaded that way. If I ever have a failure due to this, I will certainly post about it here and on the HK forum since I do not carry a Glock.

Mrs.Cicero

Lone_Wolfe
10-12-2009, 12:57
Mrs. Cicero, I hope you don't mind me injecting my opinion here. I had ignored this thread because guns and shooting don't interest me, but I did have the same feeling that you and other women who PM'ed you share. I thought Patrice was too quick to attack men who posted in here what seemed like perfectly respectful posts. In fact I avoided posting in this forum because right now I don't think I would handle being attacked very well if she didn't like something I said.

But this time I agree with her. Nickotym's toya comment was rude and uncalled for. He could have disagreed without that part. That being said I do understand why you spoke out when you saw a pattern and I do appreciate it.

Since I'm here I may add my $.02 worth to the original topic. In my past life I was a shooting instructor and used to own many guns, so I got a lot of hands-on experience. I had a couple of instances where the gun would have a FTF when loaded +1. Those same guns never FTF'ed when loaded normally. Whenever I loaded +1 I noticed that it took extra pressure to seat the magazine in the gun. I believe that pressure against the slide was the cause of the failures.

JMHO