Germany [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Germany

.40 caliber
10-09-2009, 22:53
Just got orders to Bamberg, Germany. Anyone ever been stationed there or traveled there before. Me and the wife are looking forward to it.

One_November
10-15-2009, 08:34
I just returned from 11 years in Europe, 5 of those in Germany, 2 1/2 in Iraq. Germany is a very nice tour. Bamberg is a beautiful city and you'll enjoy it. Very different from America, but enjoy it while you'll there.

Just got orders to Bamberg, Germany. Anyone ever been stationed there or traveled there before. Me and the wife are looking forward to it.

Bren
10-17-2009, 06:32

Yes, I was stationed in Bamberg in the 1980's.

The largest city in Germany that was not bombed in WW II - needless to say, it's beautiful. Greatest place I have ever been in my life and I wish I had stayed. When I was there, my operations sergeant had 17 years in and refused to leave - his wife and kids had never even been to the US and he said he'd ETS short of retirement before he'd rotate back to the US.

Unless it has suddenly gone down hill (and sudden changes aren't likely in a place where the corner bar is 1,000 years old, as is the company brewing the beer) you are really, really lucky. Have fun.

The down side? In a few years you'll get off a plane in the U.S. and see miles of fast food, used cars and trash and it will feel like a 3rd world country here.

AF-Odin
10-18-2009, 19:48
Germany is one of the best assignments in the world. Very different from when I was there as a dependent (early 60s) and when I was there on my own assignments (multiple times early 80s through mid 90s). Be prepared for high cost gasoline compared to most places in the US (take advantage of AAFES). For the most part, housing is smaller than in the states, but quite adequate. Take advantage of the opportunity to travel. I was a Scoutmaster for a Boy Scout troop on my last assignment and my Troop camped in France (Normandy), Luxembourg, Switzerland, and Garisch, GE.

SnowboundinNH
10-18-2009, 21:36
Germany is one of the best assignments in the world. Very different from when I was there as a dependent (early 60s) and when I was there on my own assignments (multiple times early 80s through mid 90s). Be prepared for high cost gasoline compared to most places in the US (take advantage of AAFES). For the most part, housing is smaller than in the states, but quite adequate. Take advantage of the opportunity to travel. I was a Scoutmaster for a Boy Scout troop on my last assignment and my Troop camped in France (Normandy), Luxembourg, Switzerland, and Garisch, GE.

Do they still issue gas coupons for BP and Esso? I remember we paid approx. $1.30/gallon when locals paid equivalent of $4.00/gal. (I was there '88-'90)

GroovedG19
10-21-2009, 16:38
Sure wish I got orders to Germany.Congrats.

.40 caliber
10-22-2009, 15:49
Thanks guys, me and the family are really looking forward to going. I am just trying to find out what I can do with my firearms, can they come with me or do they have to stay.

Oh, yes they still issue gas cards.

AF-Odin
10-22-2009, 18:10
When I was LAST there in the early-mid 90s, I had a fair assortment (AR-15, Colt .45, Ruger .22 and a couple of others) with me that I was allowed to retain in military family housing and shoot at the Rod and Gun Club at Vogelweh (Kaiserslautern). The, you could buy ammo for most common calibers at the R&G. All firearms had to be pre-approved and on your orders to even ship and registered with the USAREUR Provost Marshal immediately upon arrival. I left the majority of my guns stored with my in-laws in their basement in El Paso.

Since then, the Status of Forces Agreement has significantly changed. NOW, as I understand it, many specific types are not authorized (think AR-15 etc) and there are much more stringent requirments on number, type, caliber, etc and storage requirements. Best bet is to check the DOD Foreign Clearance Guide which should be available at your post. Also an email to the USAREUR Provost Marshal will probably get you a "Fact Sheet" on personally owned weapons.

Halal Pork
10-23-2009, 20:21

I was in Baumholder 96-98 and I loved Germany. I was really lucky to get that experience. You'll be able to see so many places. Loved the beer, loved the food, and hated running up the hills the morning after;)

Detectorist
10-25-2009, 00:33
I was stationed in Germany '76-'78. Wonderful experience. You should take advantage of all the travel opportunities while there.

bearshoegun
10-25-2009, 13:39
I just left a post very close to Bamberg. As far as firearms you are not allowed to bring any weapons into Germany also the same with dangerous dog types. You will love Bamberg and Deutschland and make sure you take advantage of the German head start class they offer during in-processing.

If you are a black dude and married, be very careful with the local Frauleins because the German woman go ape***** over black serviceman and will literally try to pick you up while you are walking down the road and ask if you want to go home with them, I used to warn the new Soldiers about this and they would come back a week later about how this just happened to them.

Take the time to learn the language since it will pay off in the long run there. Here are some pointers:

-Voltage is 220 so if you buy any appliances now make sure they are dual voltage otherwise you will be lugging around converters.
-if you or your wife does not have a drivers license now, get one because you can not get a USAREURS drivers license to drive over there. Military or civilian vehicles.
-Cell phones are expensive over there so if you are on a 3 year tour I would get a plan at the local Media Markt or phone shop.
-if married and on a family tour you can ship a car down there otherwise you can buy a hoopty from the lemon lot.
-take advantage of the train rail system and buy a Bahncard when you get there because you will save some major money.
-Nurenberg is about 30K's from Bamberg and a major German city with a big airport but cheaper flights will be at Frankfurt.
-Buy some good winter coats because the PX in Bamberg is small and the next largest PX was Wurzburg but the post shut down in 2007. The next biggest PX will be Schweinfurt which is 35K's down A70. The PX has your basic clothing but no real choices. The local economy stuff is expensive.

Here are some links to help you:

http://www.bamberg.army.mil/sites/local/

Train system in English:http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml
currently the one way trips to Paris from Bamberg are about 69 Euros and about a 8 hour ride. My trick was to catch the midnight train in a sleeping car and wake up in the new country we were going to and we traveled everywhere.

Dangerous dogs list: http://www.zoll.de/english_version/a0_passenger_traffic/e0_vub/h0_dangerous_dogs/index.html

When you rent a car at the local Sixt on post all they need is a drivers license but will also get you with the supplemental insurance unless your insurance covers rental cars. I have USAA and it works great.

I spent 9 years in Germany so can cover a lot of ground on your needs if you have any more questions. I might be going to Bamberg myself but know Bamberg well. Good luck.

To add, USAREUR's firearm policy:https://public.euromwr.army.mil/images/docs/policies/policies_pof-possession-Germany.pdf

ps, ask for a sponsor of you do not have one already because they are very valuable when you get there. If you do not have one now get a hold of your new CSM and ask for one. A lot of times your new unit doesn't even know you are coming and don't assign one. Trust me.

sk65
10-25-2009, 19:26
I was in Mannheim from 90-93.
Bren hit it right on the nailhead when you return to the states, the view here sucks compared to Germany.
You'll love all the small towns and castles are everywhere to see. And don't forget the great german beer, I miss the Weisen beers.
One word of advice if I may though;
Not sure how old you are, but make sure you and your wife are aware of the culture shock you may experience when you first get there. It's something that will pass, but I know of a few young men who brought their wives over and had some terrible times adjusting.

It can be a great tour if you're prepared.

.40 caliber
10-26-2009, 13:17
Some good info hear guys, thanks a lot guys. I am a black dude and have already been briefed on the local females, I hear it is crazy out there when it comes to that. I planned on shipping my truck and leaving the wifes car behind and buying her something else when we get there.

So the cellphones I have in the states will not work over there, I kind of figured that, oh well plan B. And I guess I will have to leave my weapons back here in storage also, that sucks. Thanks a lot again guys.

bearshoegun
10-26-2009, 19:36
Some good info hear guys, thanks a lot guys. I am a black dude and have already been briefed on the local females, I hear it is crazy out there when it comes to that. I planned on shipping my truck and leaving the wifes car behind and buying her something else when we get there.

So the cellphones I have in the states will not work over there, I kind of figured that, oh well plan B. And I guess I will have to leave my weapons back here in storage also, that sucks. Thanks a lot again guys.

If you have tri-band or quad band sim card GSM cell phones they will work okay. Tmobile is one of the larger carriers out there.

Make sure you try the Rauchbier (smoke beer) its one of the beers Bamberg is famous for. But if you get the chance , make sure you go to Kreuzberg monastery for the the best beer in the world. Its not too far by Wildflecken.

http://restaurants.uptake.com/blog/kreuzberg-kloster-brewery-germany.html

Damn, I miss that beer. See if you can find a cheap 5 liter kreuzberg bottle to fill up from someone there on base otherwise there like 30 Euros at the monastery. Damn nice souvenir though.

Bren
10-26-2009, 19:55
Make sure you try the Rauchbier (smoke beer) its one of the beers Bamberg is famous for. But if you get the chance , make sure you go to Kreuzberg monastery for the the best beer in the world. Its not too far by Wildflecken.

Had one my first night...now, many years later, I might even drink a second one.:rofl: I was a big EKU Kristall Weizen fan. Heck, even McDonalds food was better in Germany.

sk65
10-26-2009, 20:24
Sounds like it's time for a long beer run.....who's in?

bearshoegun
10-27-2009, 00:42

Funny you say this because when the units where stationed at Wildflecken they would do a Brigade run up to the Kreuzberg Monastery every so often and celebrate by getting hammered drinking the beer with buses waiting on top of the hill.

Wildflecken post to Kreuzberg was a couple of miles with the last 2 being up really steep hill to the Monastery.

Those were done back in the good old days!

MrMurphy
10-27-2009, 09:20
I was USAF, stationed in Italy, but made it up to Germany for training, etc and Oktoberfest....agree on the above.

Germans get along with Americans pretty well. Travel your butt off while you're there.

.40 caliber
10-29-2009, 10:16
I was USAF, stationed in Italy, but made it up to Germany for training, etc and Oktoberfest....agree on the above.

Germans get along with Americans pretty well. Travel your butt off while you're there.

Italy is the first place I plan on visiting. I always wanted to get on the little boat with the man rowing with the little stick.

31F20
10-29-2009, 13:32
Damn that was fun. I was stationed in Kiztingen. East on the B8 23k from Wurzburg. This was back in 2000-2002. I still am in contact with my ex-girlfriend there. The post closed in 2006 I think. Man, your gonna love it. Off post houseing for the married soldiers is what you want. Your going to need a car. Hoopty for $500, sell it for $500 when you leave. Fraulines und Beir. Those were the days.

stanley
11-02-2009, 14:12
was at warner barracks 1st armored 3bn 35th, charlie company 1st and 3rd platoons 1971 1972, was a real dump when i got there, were fixing it up when i left, liked the local gals though, the cabbies didnt like us much, is the abc bar still there in town? what is your mos, i was 11e20

robin303
11-02-2009, 23:36

Count me in. :cool:

robin303
11-02-2009, 23:38
Italy is the first place I plan on visiting. I always wanted to get on the little boat with the man rowing with the little stick.

:rofl: That is funny. :supergrin:

alvinstine
11-03-2009, 16:02
I was stationed at Wiesbaden for a short time then the BN moved to Darmstadt, loved both places, take advantage of all that Europe has to offer. E/51st INF 1988-1990.

CPT_CRUNCH
11-05-2009, 12:47
[quote=.40 caliber;14048866]Some good info hear guys, thanks a lot guys. I am a black dude and have already been briefed on the local females, I hear it is crazy out there when it comes to that. I planned on shipping my truck and leaving the wifes car behind and buying her something else when we get there.

quote]
congrats brother. i remember you were wanting to get to europe...

yes, they do go crazy for us over there :supergrin:. i did the same thing when i was there regarding the vehicles although i couldnt fit my truck in my garage. and speaking of vehicles, you and the wife may want to start studying now for the road signs test. the signs are different and you'll need to pass a test before you can get your usareur drivers license. there is a high failure rate for this test! check out usafe pam 31-206.

next advice i'll give you is regarding housing. if you stay off post know about "nebenkosten" or hot and cold rent. its basically if many of your utilities will be included in the rent. and i would also suggest getting a house w/ gas heat. some people will have mixed opinons on this but i never had to pay (or run out of) heating oil. you'll get all this info when you inprocess.

enjoy your tour!

MrMurphy
11-08-2009, 22:34
Italy's nice to visit but sucks to live there.

If you plan on visiting Venice, PM me for instructions. You can stay on my old base (1 hr by train) far cheaper, and avoid getting touristized and screwed. I have been to Venice over 30 times.......closest to a native Venetian you'll get.

.40 caliber
11-09-2009, 08:04
:rofl: That is funny. :supergrin:

LOL, I think they are calld gondoliers or something like that.

Bearcat06
11-15-2009, 06:38
Funny you say this because when the units where stationed at Wildflecken they would do a Brigade run up to the Kreuzberg Monastery every so often and celebrate by getting hammered drinking the beer with buses waiting on top of the hill. !

I think I just cried remembering that....

Back in 87, my Platoon spent a week in the area and got hammered every night after duty hours drinking that amazing beer the Monks made.....

chance3290
11-28-2009, 02:02
I was in Mannheim from 90-93.
Bren hit it right on the nailhead when you return to the states, the view here sucks compared to Germany.
You'll love all the small towns and castles are everywhere to see. And don't forget the great german beer, I miss the Weisen beers.
One word of advice if I may though;
Not sure how old you are, but make sure you and your wife are aware of the culture shock you may experience when you first get there. It's something that will pass, but I know of a few young men who brought their wives over and had some terrible times adjusting.

It can be a great tour if you're prepared.
Also did Mannheim 90-93 and before that Gelnhausen 83-87.
Whoever is running for the beer, I've take a lot of AltBier bottles.
ditto on the travel, small towns and castles. I now have taken up road bicycling. Just wish I would have done that whilst in Europe.
I didn't know you could no longer bring guns in.
During my first tour I bought several thru R&G and on the economy, filled out mountains of paperwork.....worried my backside of that something was wrong, landed in O'Hare in Chicago, went to customs with my mountain in hand, along with a cart carrying a half-dozen long guns. The customs lady looked at me, smiled and said "Welcome Home." After all that work, I was tempted to INSIST that she looked at my paperwork, but common sense kept my mouth shut.
As others have said, be aware of the culture shock. Oh, and for GOD's sake, stay out of the left lane on the Autobahn. Unlike most Americans, Germans take driving very seriously. Not a lot of eating, phoning, shaving, applying makeup whilst driving on the Autobahn.
Good luck and enjoy the experience.

eisman
12-26-2009, 09:04
Bamberg's good; a college town. The walk along the river is a good place to sit and drink a beer when the weather's warm.

Don't take any guns; you can buy on post if you can find a way to shoot. I had to join a German club. Your closest range will probably be Vilseck, outside of Grafenwohr.

There used to be a place east of town that was a great place for Hummels and Clocks.

Rauschbeir (smoked beer) is a local favorite. St George. Personally it's good the first time, but not a real everyday drink.

Don't take a car over, maintenance will kill you. Buy one there.

While Italy's nice, you're going to be close to the Czech's; go there. You're money goes farther.

If you thing German girls are nice, wait until you start running into those from the Eastern republics...