Discrepancy in Hunting Regulations.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Discrepancy in Hunting Regulations..

chevy01234
10-11-2009, 15:51
I have done more looking into it as I carry 24/7 regardless and this is really bothering me. As I said, I carry concealed and am not too worried about so save the "concealed is concealed" because I already go by it.

Page 22-23 of the Outdoor Digest (found here http://home.mdwfp.com/ContentManagement/PDF/PdfFetch.ashx?id=913 ) states

Primitive Weapons
Primitive weapons for deer hunting are defined as longbows, recurves or compound
bows, crossbows by Special or General Permit only, and primitive firearms. “Primitive
Firearms,” for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double barreled
muzzle-loading rifles of at least .38 caliber; single shot, breech loading, cartridge
rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions, or reintroductions of
those type rifles; and single or double-barreled muzzle-loading shotguns, with single
ball or slug. All muzzle-loading Primitive Firearms must use black powder or a black
powder substitute with either percussion caps, #209 shotgun primers, or flintlock
ignition. Breach loading single shot rifles must have exposed hammers and use
metallic cartridges. The rifle type and caliber restrictions, set forth above, shall
not apply to youths age 15 years and under, who are hunting during any youth
hunting season as set by the Commission. Youths hunting during special youth
hunting seasons may carry and use any firearm with which they can safely
hunt, and in compliance with other applicable laws, rules, and regulations. For
the purpose of Public Notice 2280, a “blackpowder substitute” is defined as a substance
designed, manufactured and specifically intended to be used as a propellant in muzzleloading
or other black powder firearms, excluding modern smokeless powder. Metallic
cartridges may be loaded with either black powder or modern smokeless powder
(cartridges purchased at sporting goods stores).
Handguns or sidearms are not allowed for hunting deer during these special seasons.
Telescopic sights are allowed while hunting with any primitive firearm during the
primitive weapon seasons. A “telescopic sight” is defined as an optical sighting device
with any magnification.

which contradicts what the state of Mississippi has to say about it here

http://www.dps.state.ms.us/dps/dps.nsf/divpages/hp2fpu-permits?OpenDocument

§ 97-37-1. Deadly weapons; carrying while concealed; use or attempt to use; penalties.

(3)
It shall not be a violation of this section for any person to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part if the possessor of the weapon is then engaged in a legitimate weapon-related sports activity or is going to or returning from such activity. For purposes of this subsection, "legitimate weapon-related sports activity" means hunting, fishing, target shooting or any other legal sports activity which normally involves the use of a firearm or other weapon.

So we have one state agency saying we cannot carry a sidearm while hunting during a primitive weapon season but we have another state agency telling us we can?

This is the definition of gray area and needs to be clarified one way or the other. I doubt very seriously even a bad lawyer could lose in court with it listed the way it is. It needs to be in black and white print one way or the other. I will continue to carry my sidearm on my just as I always do hunting. Would love to see some clarification though.

Movinfr8 09
10-11-2009, 22:04
I read it as you can't HUNT with the modern pistol. If carrying concealed for self defense, you couldn't be considered hunting with the pistol.
I was pulled over and checked in Noxubee refuge once, years ago, and the ranger found my .45 in the center console, loaded. He was about to write me a ticket, when I explained, showing him my carry permit and telling him that i had not considered it a hunting arm. He was okay with it.
YMMV, so be aware...

chevy01234
10-14-2009, 21:44
Any other opinions or does no one else hunt primitive weapon season?