DEA approves 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DEA approves 1911

Narkcop
10-12-2009, 05:13
I was told by a supervisor that the Drug Enforcement Administration has just approved the 1911 for duty by agents and TFO'S. The list of approved 1911's hasn't come out yet but I will post as soon as I know more.

Wil Ufgood
10-12-2009, 05:48
I was told by a supervisor that the Drug Enforcement Administration has just approved the 1911 for duty by agents and TFO'S. The list of approved 1911's hasn't come out yet but I will post as soon as I know more.

Very surprised that DEA would authorize all their agents to carry 1911s, nice to hear. I'm not sure how that would apply to the TFOs since ultimately wouldn't they have to comply with their own department polices concerning duty weapons?

armslist
10-12-2009, 05:56
I'm anxious to see the approved list.

GJ1981
10-12-2009, 07:55
Tagged for an official list.

I have heard rumors for a few months that the SA Pro was authorized for the DEA and a few other organizations...I kinda hope not, I'm tired of getting bumped down the list for mine.

FM12
10-12-2009, 17:23
Good for all involved!!

Annoyedgrunt
10-12-2009, 17:56
It really does make you wonder what JMB would think if he were to know that one of his designs would still be in high demand almost 100 years later. Despite 100 years of continuing firearms design, it is still in high demand. The 1911 really is a legend.

n2extrm
10-12-2009, 17:58
A friend who is DEA told me he was already offered to purchase a 1911 Springfield DEA addition. He wasn't sure of the model,they said it was a special DEA addition. They told him it was around $2500~$2800? :dunno:

Narkcop
10-12-2009, 19:42
I will post approved 1911's as soon as I find out, hopefully tomorrow. And in response to the question about TFO's (Task Force Officers) we do have to carry weapons that are within our own agency guidelines. I fortunately have been 1911 approved by my Chief for about 3 years. That being said I usually find myself armed with a Glock 27 :dunno:

I just learned it will be a Springfield I just don't yet know which model.

.45Super-Man
10-12-2009, 20:40
I will post approved 1911's as soon as I find out, hopefully tomorrow. And in response to the question about TFO's (Task Force Officers) we do have to carry weapons that are within our own agency guidelines. I fortunately have been 1911 approved by my Chief for about 3 years. That being said I usually find myself armed with a Glock 27 :dunno:

A Springfield!!?? I'm shocked!! :tongueout:

Quack
10-12-2009, 21:24

Springer Pro?

okie
10-13-2009, 02:04
That's awesome for sure:thumbsup:

up1911fan
10-13-2009, 06:46
Yeah the Pro rocks.

Narkcop
10-13-2009, 10:53
Just saw the e-mail and it said Springfield Armory TRP. I assume it's the TRP Pro because our price is $2,000.00

BuckyP
10-13-2009, 11:38
I wonder if "I'm the only one in this room professional enough" will make the switch. :tongueout:

DaBigBR
10-13-2009, 15:55
FWIW, the Pro is NOT in any way shape or form a TRP. The TRP is the TRP and the Pro is the Pro. There is no "TRP Pro.

List price on the Pro is $2599, or $2199 for LE indvidual officer purchase.

It is a fantastic firearm. The only thing I didn't like about mine were the stock grips (replaced with Gunners).

Narkcop
10-13-2009, 16:43
I am waiting for a return e-mail because the e-mail sent to our firearms instructor said the Springfield TRP 1911 has been approved for duty use. It then gave an agent price of I think $1,999.00 I don't see how a TRP would cost that much. Based on price I believe the TRP-Pro 1911 as authorized by FBI is the approved gun. I should know more in a day or two. I bet Springfield will offer special numbered guns beginning with DEA### just like they did for FBI. I know they said that there would be a 6-9 month wait after ordering.

ultra45
10-13-2009, 16:57
FWIW, the Pro is NOT in any way shape or form a TRP. The TRP is the TRP and the Pro is the Pro. There is no "TRP Pro.

List price on the Pro is $2599, or $2199 for LE indvidual officer purchase.

It is a fantastic firearm. The only thing I didn't like about mine were the stock grips (replaced with Gunners).

You sir are both WRONG & RIGHT! The TRP-PRO exists only for the FBI as stated here...http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=11...

For regular everyday folks there is only the TRP.

GJ1981
10-14-2009, 11:02

Mine certificate says Professional :tongueout:

http://i33.tinypic.com/141qm36.jpg

ultra45
10-14-2009, 15:55
Mine certificate says Professional :tongueout:

http://i33.tinypic.com/141qm36.jpg

BUT...its not a TRP-PROFESSIONAL:tongueout:

Narkcop
10-15-2009, 04:47
I recieved an e-mail from the firearms guy advising that the approved DEA 1911 is the HRT from Springfield Armory. I honestly don't think they really understand exactly what gun Quantico just approved. I'm sure it's the same 1911 as FBI.

M1A Shooter
10-15-2009, 04:58
tagged

ultra45
10-15-2009, 07:36

Narkcop,

I also carry a 1911 daily on my job. I am curious as to what round the DEA will authorize for the 1911. Currently I carry Federal EFMJ and Federal Hydra Shocks. The agency qualifies me, but I have to supply my ammo for my S&W 1911PD. I also qualify with my G-27, which they supply the ammo for.

If you get a heads up on the ammo, let us know...Thanks

Narkcop
10-15-2009, 08:46
Winchester Ranger SXT 230 grain is what our armourer gave me a month or so ago. I have also received Rem Golden Saber and Fed Hydrashok in the past. I believe they buy whatever is approved previously and is currently available.

krunchnik
10-15-2009, 09:22
Man with all the LAPD Swat hype Kimber got beat out on this one I would say.Its a good thing when 2 US firearm manufacturers can get bragging rights.keeps the competition alive and well.:whistling:

Gary1911A1
10-15-2009, 09:38
I recieved an e-mail from the firearms guy advising that the approved DEA 1911 is the HRT from Springfield Armory. I honestly don't think they really understand exactly what gun Quantico just approved. I'm sure it's the same 1911 as FBI.

I'm sure it is too. I do wonder if it's the Pro with or without the rail?

Rinspeed
10-15-2009, 10:24
BUT...its not a TRP-PROFESSIONAL:tongueout:

It IS a TRP-PRO with light rail. If it wasn't it wouldn't have the CRG serial number prefix.

ultra45
10-15-2009, 12:21
It IS a TRP-PRO with light rail. If it wasn't it wouldn't have the CRG serial number prefix.

Is your gun cataloged or CUSTOM Shop? If from the custom shop it would have the serial number prefix. Your gun having the prefix doesn't make it a Cataloged or contrat TRP-PRO. It makes it a CUSTOM built on a TRP light railed frame....technically speaking of course. BTW, it is one nice looking gun.

GJ1981
10-15-2009, 13:42
It makes it a CUSTOM built on a TRP light railed frame

Technically, the TRP light rail uses a different frame from the Pro http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=98583 or at least they alter one from the other somewhat.

My Pro LR has a longer frame with a straight cut opposed to the diagonal as pictured in the link. Not that it really matters...

Rinspeed
10-15-2009, 15:25
Is your gun cataloged or CUSTOM Shop? If from the custom shop it would have the serial number prefix. Your gun having the prefix doesn't make it a Cataloged or contrat TRP-PRO. It makes it a CUSTOM built on a TRP light railed frame....technically speaking of course. BTW, it is one nice looking gun.

It's not my gun but you seem a little confused, you can only order a PRO from the custom shop and you can only get it one of two ways. With a rail or without a rail that's your only two options. The PRO is the only 1911 the custom shop makes with the CRG serial number.

ultra45
10-15-2009, 16:19
It's not my gun but you seem a little confused, you can only order a PRO from the custom shop and you can only get it one of two ways. With a rail or without a rail that's your only two options. The PRO is the only 1911 the custom shop makes with the CRG serial number.

It is a bit confusing, but the FBI guns are contract guns that happen to identified by SA as TPR-PROs.

Personally I am not a fan of light rails on any gun. I'm old school, having been taught to keep my light source away from my body during night or low light ops. Putting it out front, giving some crackhead with a gun an easy target to shoot at, doesn't give me a warm fuzy feeling.

mikegun
10-15-2009, 23:42
It is a bit confusing, but the FBI guns are contract guns that happen to identified by SA as TPR-PROs.

Personally I am not a fan of light rails on any gun. I'm old school, having been taught to keep my light source away from my body during night or low light ops. Putting it out front, giving some crackhead with a gun an easy target to shoot at, doesn't give me a warm fuzy feeling.

I feel very much the same was and was tought the same, if i want to get shot searching a building ill strap a flash;ight on my head.....

silversport
10-16-2009, 05:33
I too was taught this but time marches on...I have yet to place a light on one of my pistols but that may change...just remember...if you can see them, they can see you and the light (or tracer) goes both ways...
Bill

K.O.A.M.
10-16-2009, 06:12
I'm wondering why they approved a specific manufacturer rather than a type of weapon. I'd love to see the DEA's firearms policy for privately owned weapons able to be used for duty.

Wil Ufgood
10-16-2009, 06:26

Weapon mounted lights have their purposes. I keep one one mounted at all times. All my work is warrant/building entries which is often done with a ballistic shield. The shields we have are light mounted, but I like having a secondary light source in case the primary light fails. The gun light is also handy with some room clearing situations. Even if I don't use it I like having another emergency flashlight available.

DaBigBR
10-16-2009, 13:57
You sir are both WRONG & RIGHT! The TRP-PRO exists only for the FBI as stated here...http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=11...

I didn't know that there was still debate about this on the internet.

The Springfield Professional Model (aka "Pro") pre-dates the TRP. Springfield builds the Pro in the custom shop by hand. The FBI gets preference in order, so in other words, the guns that are built go to fill FBI orders. Any leftovers are sold to people that are on the waiting list to buy one. The smiths that are building Pros do not know who the gun is going to when they build them.

ANYBODY can buy a Springfield Professional Model so long as they have $2600 (or $2100 for LE price) and 12-15 months to wait. The gun will come stamed appropriately (CRG prefix), with the cheap MTM box, six Metalform 7rd magazines, and COA from the custom shop...exactly the same as what an FBI agent being issued the gun would get.

The COA that came with my Pro Light Rail (PC9111LR) does not say TRP anywhere on it. The TRP is a good gun, but it does not hold a candle to a true Professional Model. For example, note that the TRP is rated to shoot 2.5" at 25yd with MATCH ammunition where the Professional is rated to shoot 1.5" at 25yd with Remington Golden Sabre JHP.

There is an absolutel wealth of information on these guns on some of the 1911 forums. Here is a quote of an email straight from the horse's mouth from one such site:

The TRP is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with a few features to make it look like the full custom Professional model (FBI SWAT pistol).
The Professional is a full custom pistol that begins with a national match frame which has the oversized slide rails cut into the frame in our Geneseo machine shop. It uses all custom parts, including the Springfield Custom tool steel hammer & sear, Nowlin barrel & bushing, S&A mag well, Wilson ambi thumb safety, Novak low mount rear sight, dovetail front sight, match skeletonized trigger, standard guide rod system, and 6 specially tuned Metalform 7 round magazines. These pistols are hand assembled by custom gunsmiths in our Geneseo custom shop, under the supervision of master gunsmith David Williams. The Professional models meet or exceed all specifications of the FBI SWAT contract, including the accuracy requirement of 1.5" or better at 25 yards with Remington Golden Saber ammunition. The civilian pistols and the FBI pistols are built at the same time, with the gunsmiths never knowing whether a civilian or FBI agent will be using the pistol. These pistols are built approx. every 45 days, with the FBI order being filled first and civilian orders getting all of the remaining from the production run. These pistols do not have front cocking serrations or full length guide rods because the FBI chose not to have these features on their pistols. (Front cocking serrations catch on clothing and full length guide rods require additional tools for disassembly.) These pistols are finished with the Black T finish done by Walter Birdsong in MS.

The TRP pistol is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with more hand fitting than a standard factory pistol, as well as a 2 piece mag well, night sights, and better tuning internally. It has a quoted accuracy of 2.5" or better at 25 yards with match ammunition. It has the front cocking serrations and full length guide rod, just like the other factory "loaded" models. These pistols are finished with Springfield's Armory Kote finish, which is a painted on, baked on finish similar to the Black T finish.

Deb, Custom Shop Coordinator
Springfield Inc.
420 West Main St.
Geneseo, IL 61254
(800) 680-6866
customshop@springfield-armory.com

More to read here: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=144074

Glockdude1
10-16-2009, 13:59
A Springfield!!?? I'm shocked!! :tongueout:

With govt bean counters working, I'm sure the 1911 for the DEA will be a new Taurus with special grips........ :rofl:

Narkcop
10-17-2009, 04:09
I only know one guy thats interested in buying one of the Springfield TRP-PRO'S and everyone else says they will stay with Glock. I have carried my Wilson CQB and it is so long that it seems to poke either me or the seat I can't believe they wouldn't have approved a Commander size duty gun it aint like we are in uniform.

ultra45
10-17-2009, 05:04
I only know one guy thats interested in buying one of the Springfield TRP-PRO'S and everyone else says they will stay with Glock. I have carried my Wilson CQB and it is so long that it seems to poke either me or the seat I can't believe they wouldn't have approved a Commander size duty gun it aint like we are in uniform.

How about having SA fit a Commander top end on the TRP? I should know better, my job would castrate me. :whistling:

Rinspeed
10-17-2009, 06:45

Maybe you just need a better/different holster.

walkin' trails
10-17-2009, 18:12
It is supposed to be the same model as the FBI issues and may be ordered with or without the rails. A stringent transition course with a high round count is mandated, and qualification standards are much higher than for the regular issued/approved handguns. Price is high and the approved holster list is short. Probably the only reason it was approved was because of the FBI's extensive testing and experience with that weapon. HRT and SWAT have had them in the inventory for quite a while.

Wil Ufgood
10-17-2009, 18:34
A stringent transition course with a high round count is mandated, and qualification standards are much higher than for the regular issued/approved handguns.

I'm sure their firearms instructors are jumping for joy about this:rollingeyes:

ultra45
10-17-2009, 19:05
What are the holster choices?

Narkcop
10-17-2009, 19:24
No offense intended but this thread kinda made me think when was the last time FBI ever rescued someone?

I remember the pic of the Fed with the MP5 taking the little Cuban boy out of his home so that he could be sent to Cuba and I remember what happened at Waco and Ruby Ridge. I think I'd want the State Police rescuing me.:supergrin:

Glockdude1
10-18-2009, 07:06
No offense intended but this thread kinda made me think when was the last time FBI ever rescued someone?

I remember the pic of the Fed with the MP5 taking the little Cuban boy out of his home so that he could be sent to Cuba and I remember what happened at Waco and Ruby Ridge. I think I'd want the State Police rescuing me.:supergrin:

That agent was from the border patrol.

:cool:

DaBigBR
10-18-2009, 13:28

HRT is deployed more than you think. They have been to Iraq, they have been to major natural disasters, etc. I would suggest that you read "Cold Zero" by Chirs Whitcomb for an "inside" look at HRT and a write up of Ruby Ridge and Waco from a guy who was actually there.

As was already stated, the agent in that picture was not FBI. He was also clearing a closet, had his finger off of the trigger, and clearly was in the process of pulling the gun back at that point.

mikegun
10-18-2009, 17:05
I'm sure their firearms instructors are jumping for joy about this:rollingeyes:

ill bet they are, look at the overtime they will get

Wil Ufgood
10-18-2009, 17:09
ill bet they are, look at the overtime they will get

DEA might authorize OT for the instructors at Quantico, but the instructors in the field, don't think so.

Captain Caveman
10-18-2009, 17:30
I'm wondering why they approved a specific manufacturer rather than a type of weapon. I'd love to see the DEA's firearms policy for privately owned weapons able to be used for duty.

The list is VERY short. Basically any Glock or Sig in 9mm, .40S&W or .45ACP. Also the H&K USPc in V3 .40S&W. And S&W 5 shot .38spl as BACK-UP only. With the G22 as issued.

DEA might authorize OT for the instructors at Quantico, but the instructors in the field, don't think so.

You got that right...It'll probably be on the agents own time and work something out with the PFI.

Narkcop
10-18-2009, 17:48
HRT is deployed more than you think. They have been to Iraq, they have been to major natural disasters, etc. I would suggest that you read "Cold Zero" by Chirs Whitcomb for an "inside" look at HRT and a write up of Ruby Ridge and Waco from a guy who was actually there.

As was already stated, the agent in that picture was not FBI. He was also clearing a closet, had his finger off of the trigger, and clearly was in the process of pulling the gun back at that point.

WTF is FBI doing in Iraq? FBI is domestic CIA is Foreign..Both should stick to their job assignment IMHO.

Somehow I don't think the Agent is really clearing a closet with a camerman in the room.:whistling:

Wil Ufgood
10-18-2009, 18:04
WTF is FBI doing in Iraq? FBI is domestic CIA is Foreign..Both should stick to their job assignment IMHO.

Lot of FED LE agencies in Iraq and Afganistan, not just the FBI.

Captain Caveman
10-18-2009, 18:56
Lot of FED LE agencies in Iraq and Afganistan, not just the FBI.

People would be shocked or amazed how many fed AND local LE agencies are or have been in the sandbox.

den888
10-20-2009, 21:40
Interesting that the DEA chooses the 1911, it's good news.

DaBigBR
10-20-2009, 23:05

Somehow I don't think the Agent is really clearing a closet with a camerman in the room.:whistling:

The FBI is a LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY, the CIA is an INTELIGENCE AGENCY. The CIA's charter does not permit them to spy on citizens in the United States. That does NOT preclude the FBI from investigating CRIMES commited against or in some cases BY American Citizens in foreign countries. The FBI has attaches in a large number of foreign countries. They also have people with skills that other countries and other US agencies may not have. The author of the referenced book also spent time in Bosnia as an FBI agent helping with investigating war crimes.

series1811
10-21-2009, 09:03
People might be surprised at how many federal agents from all of the larger agencies, are assigned PCS (permanent change of station) overseas and TDY (temporary duty) from time to time, and in how many foreign countries. It's probably a toss up between DEA, DOD and DSS as to who has the most agents overseas at any one time.

Captain Caveman
10-21-2009, 12:11
People might be surprised at how many federal agents from all of the larger agencies, are assigned PCS (permanent change of station) overseas and TDY (temporary duty) from time to time, and in how many foreign countries. It's probably a toss up between DEA, DOD and DSS as to who has the most agents overseas at any one time.

With the DEA compound in Afghanistan, I'd say currently DOD, DEA, DSS and so forth and so on...

series1811
10-21-2009, 15:11
With the DEA compound in Afghanistan, I'd say currently DOD, DEA, DSS and so forth and so on...

Approximately ten per cent of the DEA agents on duty, are assigned overseas at any one time, or over 500 agents on average. Afghanistan might not the biggest presence for DEA overseas, but it's certainly in the top four or five places where the most DEA agents are assigned.

Look at the DEA Wall of Honor and see how many agents have been killed in the line of duty overseas, and how long ago, to get a good picture of how long this has been true.

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/agency/10_list.htm

Captain Caveman
10-22-2009, 06:45
Operation "Snowcap" comes to mind...

easyg
10-22-2009, 22:12
So the DEA can use 1911's....

Wow, a heavier pistol to lug around, with less magazine capacity to boot.

Sounds great.:whistling:

Wil Ufgood
10-22-2009, 23:07

It's a status thing:rollingeyes:

COLDSTEEL165
10-23-2009, 02:59
Nothing wrong with Springfield's

series1811
10-23-2009, 04:11

This is what happens when the firearms unit is sitting around bored one day. :supergrin:

I'll bet there aren't a hundred agents who want one bad enough instead of an issued Glock or SIG, to pay out the two grand two get one.

crump582
10-23-2009, 06:13
If I could carry a 1911 for work I would... it's what I started out shooting and it just feels better to me. I like my Glock (issued one, and purchased one), but just love the 1911, and I shoot it better.

DaBigBR
10-23-2009, 12:42
This is what happens when the firearms unit is sitting around bored one day. :supergrin:

I'll bet there aren't a hundred agents who want one bad enough instead of an issued Glock or SIG, to pay out the two grand two get one.

But those are a hundred happy guys...

series1811
10-23-2009, 16:50
But those are a hundred happy guys...

I take it back. I was at the range today and ran into three guys who had ordered them. :wow:

n2extrm
10-24-2009, 10:19

This is what I thought too. An agent I know told me about the 1911's about a month ago. He carries because he has to, not a real gun collector or shooter. He wanted one because it was his understanding it was supposed to be roll marked and serial numbered as a DEA addition. Then he saw the price and said he would pass.

I take it back. I was at the range today and ran into three guys who had ordered them. :wow:

I guess I was wrong too. IF I was in the position to get one I would jump on it, but I love 1911's and would buy them all if I could. Well almost all! :rofl:

DaBigBR
10-24-2009, 13:28
He wanted one because it was his understanding it was supposed to be roll marked and serial numbered as a DEA addition. Then he saw the price and said he would pass.

Assuming that they are going with the Pro, then it would just be standard rollmarked with the CRG serial number. Any variations in the Pro's configuration result in it no longer being a Pro.

Narkcop
10-24-2009, 13:46
The Springfield 1911 TRP-PRO for DEA will be serial numbered as follows DEA#####. Just as the FBI guns serial number begin with FBI.

n2extrm
10-24-2009, 14:55
The only info he had was poorly retained because he is just not that into shooting. He was given the info by what I guess would be his armour? He was getting his Sig looked at and they were BSing so I do not know anything other then what I said, and I maybe wrong as for roll marks and serial numbers, but he was under the impression it would be "engraved DEA". :dunno:I sure hope they do, I may not get a chance to own one, but it would sure be nice to see!

DaBigBR
10-24-2009, 19:07
The Springfield 1911 TRP-PRO for DEA will be serial numbered as follows DEA#####. Just as the FBI guns serial number begin with FBI.

The FBI guns are serialized with "CRG". The very early Pros were serialized with "FBI", but they (FBI) made a stink because of FBI serialized guns ending up in private hands. Springfield switched the prefix to "CRG" (as in Critical Incident Response Group) and has been sequentially serializing them ever since. As previously posted, the smiths that are building Pros do not know where they will end up. The civilian owned guns have the same three letter prefix as the FBI guns.

Drjones
10-25-2009, 12:39

Your information is incorrect.

Only the first few Professionals ever produced by Springfield were stamped "FBI."

I forget how many, probably a dozen or less. For years and years (and thousands of pistols produced) they have all been stamped "CRG." Springfield has only produced about 3,000 Professionals so far, all but the first dozen or so stamped "CRG."

Yours will be "CRG" too.

All the other misconceptions about the Professional were nicely addressed by DaBigBR.

DaBigBR
10-25-2009, 20:45
Your information is incorrect.

Only the first few Professionals ever produced by Springfield were stamped "FBI."

I forget how many, probably a dozen or less. For years and years (and thousands of pistols produced) they have all been stamped "CRG." Springfield has only produced about 3,000 Professionals so far, all but the first dozen or so stamped "CRG."

Yours will be "CRG" too.

All the other misconceptions about the Professional were nicely addressed by DaBigBR.

I addressed the serial number one, as well.

I believe that my Pro is in the 3300 range and was built in 12/2008.

jedi573
10-26-2009, 02:02
The first few hundred guns were marked with an "FBI" prefix to the serial numbers.

Regardless, the idea that the DEA would use Professionals makes good sense. A lot of the paperwork's done already.

Andy

Gary1911A1
10-26-2009, 09:36
If I were with the DEA and I had a chance to carry a Pro, heck any decent 1911, I would pay the price, go through any special training they wanted me to, and be happy to qualify with it.

Narkcop
10-26-2009, 18:24
Both FBI Agents I know that carry Springfield 1911's have serial numbers beginning FBI. DEA e-mail says DEA will be on serial number

Drjones
10-26-2009, 18:40
Check the serial numbers on those FBI guns - I'll bet you lunch they are well under 100, which means they are among the first Professionals ever produced, and as we've stated, only the very first few Professionals were prefixed "FBI."

However, every Professional since then has the prefix "CRG."

I guess it is possible that DEA worked out something else with Springfield's Pro shop, but not likely.

IF they did work a deal for you guys to get DEA-prefixed guns, it would not be called the Professional, unless Springfield wanted to jeopardize their contract with the FBI. The Professional was created specifically for the FBI, so it seems unlikely to me that Springfield would create DEA-prefixed guns and still call them "Professionals." Seems it would probably be a violation of their contract with the FBI, or at least would really piss off the FBI.

I own two, so I know a thing or two about the pistols. ;)

In any case, you can check www.1911forum.com for a ton more info, or email Deb at Springfield's custom shop and get it straight from the source.

All I've ever read from her over the years is exactly what we have been telling you: the Professional was created especially for the FBI contract, no modifications can be made when you order them from the factory or it will not bear the "Professional" marking on the slide nor be prefixed "CRG."

They seem to be pretty strict and uniform on that, since they are still under contract with the FBI for those guns.

Drjones
10-26-2009, 18:44
Check this thread for all the info you could possibly want on the Professional:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=144074

DaBigBR
10-26-2009, 22:21
Check this thread for all the info you could possibly want on the Professional:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=144074

I posted a link to the same thread (post #35 in this thread). Of course folks would rather speculate and spread rumor than read all of the information DIRECT from Springfield that is available in that thread.

Drjones
10-26-2009, 22:25
I posted a link to the same thread (post #35 in this thread). Of course folks would rather speculate and spread rumor than read all of the information DIRECT from Springfield that is available in that thread.

Cool. I assume Mr. Narkcop is DEA, but he is getting bum information.

I'm not any sort of LEO, but I do own two Professionals and I research the HELL out of stuff before I buy, so I know a thing or two about the gun.

In this case, it seems that I know more than the DEA supervisor or weapons guy, which is kinda cool. :supergrin: :tongueout:

What Narkcop is being told about the Pro just doesn't mesh with every single thing I've learned over the years, much of it direct from Springfield's Pro shop.

Oh well.....

DaBigBR
10-26-2009, 22:26
Cool. I assume Mr. Narkcop is DEA, but he is getting bum information.

I'm not any sort of LEO, but I do own two Professionals and I research the HELL out of stuff before I buy, so I know a thing or two about the gun.

In this case, it seems that I know more than the DEA supervisor or weapons guy, which is kinda cool. :supergrin: :tongueout:

What Narkcop is being told about the Pro just doesn't mesh with every single thing I've learned over the years, much of it direct from Springfield's Pro shop.

Oh well.....

Agreed. I started out wanting a TRP w/rail until I found the linked thread. I read up on it and ordered my Pro two days later.

Drjones
10-26-2009, 22:31
Narkcop:

I don't want you to think that I'm ragging on you at all, or giving you a hard time.

It simply seems that whoever is giving you your information is incorrect. A call to springfield's shop will clarify this for you.

series1811
10-27-2009, 04:37
I stopped reading the twix when I saw the gun would cost two thousand dollars, so I couldn't swear as to what kind it would be, or what it would have printed on it. :supergrin:

LAWDOGKMS
10-27-2009, 05:02
While I would love if my agency approved of a 1911 for carry, just so I knew I had "a choice", in all honesty, I probably wouldn't carry it..

Some seem to forget that 1911's are HEAVY"

For those of us that carry-concealed for a living, 1911's are often too heavy for comfort. I know, I know, I'm sure someone on here is going to argue with me and tell me how they carry a 1911 in an Alessi Ankle holster and run 10k's while wearing it.

All I know is that personally (when the agency used to allow it), I carried a Para LDA, and although I loved that pistol, it was extremely heavy to carry concealed, and on top of that, absolutely gutted my suit coats with all the sharp edges. And, most of the undercover professionals I know, feel the same way, and carry Sig 239's or Glocks..

Currently, my agency only allows the G27,G23,G22 trio for primary carry. We can carry whichever we like.

I chose the G23, and have carried one for about 7 years, and it suits my needs perfectly, and I have no desire to switch to anything else.

The only gun I might be interested in switching to is the new midsize Glock in .45 Gap.

Narkcop
10-27-2009, 05:35
I can only tell you that the TWO 1911 FBI guns I've seen BOTH had FBI serial numbers on them. I haven't yet seen a DEA 1911 because they haven't been delivered yet as far as I know.
I think Springfield would stamp little pink flowers on the frame if we requested it ,just for the publicity.

INDEXING

1. 1911 Government Model=NADD*S- Negative
Utilized by FBI and DEA as sidearms after quarterly qualifications. SOS Springfield Armory Firearms, Custom Shop.

Some will understand this.

Drjones
10-27-2009, 10:01
I can only tell you that the TWO 1911 FBI guns I've seen BOTH had FBI serial numbers on them. I haven't yet seen a DEA 1911 because they haven't been delivered yet as far as I know.
I think Springfield would stamp little pink flowers on the frame if we requested it ,just for the publicity.

INDEXING

Utilized by FBI and DEA as sidearms after quarterly qualifications. SOS Springfield Armory Firearms, Custom Shop.

We are not arguing with you on the FBI prefix thing. We believe you, and you are right: SOME of the FIRST Professionals produced DID in fact have "FBI" prefixed serial numbers.

Springfield is right around 3,500 in the serial number range of Pros produced, and only a very few of the first ones were prefixed "FBI."

The vast, vast majority of them are prefixed "CRG" - as are the two that I own, and I'll bet you that the Professionals the DEA gets will be prefixed "CRG" as well.

If it doesn't have the "CRG" prefix on it, Springfield doesn't call it a "professional"

It's really that simple.

At this point, we'll just have to wait & see.....

Drjones
10-27-2009, 10:06
While I would love if my agency approved of a 1911 for carry, just so I knew I had "a choice", in all honesty, I probably wouldn't carry it..

Some seem to forget that 1911's are HEAVY"

For those of us that carry-concealed for a living, 1911's are often too heavy for comfort. I know, I know, I'm sure someone on here is going to argue with me and tell me how they carry a 1911 in an Alessi Ankle holster and run 10k's while wearing it.

All I know is that personally (when the agency used to allow it), I carried a Para LDA, and although I loved that pistol, it was extremely heavy to carry concealed, and on top of that, absolutely gutted my suit coats with all the sharp edges. And, most of the undercover professionals I know, feel the same way, and carry Sig 239's or Glocks..

Currently, my agency only allows the G27,G23,G22 trio for primary carry. We can carry whichever we like.

I chose the G23, and have carried one for about 7 years, and it suits my needs perfectly, and I have no desire to switch to anything else.

The only gun I might be interested in switching to is the new midsize Glock in .45 Gap.

I agree with you 100%.

There sure are a lot of guys who carry a 1911 concealed all day, and hey, great for them.

I've tried it and it sure isn't anywhere near as comfortable as a Glock, due to the substantial weight difference.

I'd carry a 1911 all day openly, but concealed, I'll take something lighter.

LAWDOGKMS
10-27-2009, 18:04

FWIW, The USMS has a strong contingent in Iraq and Afghanistan as well..

ilgunguygt
10-27-2009, 18:11
I agree with you 100%.

There sure are a lot of guys who carry a 1911 concealed all day, and hey, great for them.

I've tried it and it sure isn't anywhere near as comfortable as a Glock, due to the substantial weight difference.

I'd carry a 1911 all day openly, but concealed, I'll take something lighter.
I am not trying to start a whos got the biggest balls thing, but..........

I think that for years everyone carried 1911s concealed(because they had too) when there were no light weight plastic jobbers. While I will agree that the weight of the gun is significant, to some people that doesnt matter. I am a 6'6" 350lb guy who carries a g21 sometimes in the winter months and carry an officers 1911 around a lot of the other time. To me its not a big deal. Although, I am disabled(used to be a mechanic) so I dont go out and run marathons or anything of the like. I think that if you are an active individual the weight probably matters a lot more.

tnhawk
10-27-2009, 18:36
[quote=GJ1981;13957510.. I'm tired of getting bumped down the list for mine.[/quote]

Hopefully, I'll get one next spring!

BOGE
10-27-2009, 18:48
...And, most of the undercover professionals I know, feel the same way, and carry Sig 239's or Glocks...

...The only gun I might be interested in switching to is the new midsize Glock in .45 Gap.

I carry either a SIG 228, G19 or G38 depending on my mood and my "fashion" for the day. I've carried 1911's and they are heavy IMO as well. I even tried a stainless Officer's in the 80's (that was a total POS "strike gun").

No one loves 1911's more than I and I shoot them well IMO, but I just like "point & pull" guns better for a CCW.

LAWDOGKMS, if you have any questions on the G38 PM me as out of respect the 1911 Forum is not the place for me to discuss that. :whistling:

Rinspeed
10-28-2009, 12:16
A PRO just sold on the 10-8 forums for $1350. :crying:

DaBigBR
10-28-2009, 13:42
A PRO just sold on the 10-8 forums for $1350. :crying:

I need to start reading other forums. I was surprised to see one sell on here for around $1,700.

jedi573
10-28-2009, 22:41
The first 258 guns had the "FBI" prefix. The subsequent guns have "CRG."

Andy

B1ST
12-18-2009, 23:24

INDEXING

Narkcop (TFO)--u need to practice OPSEC! U r not an SA, why r u getting involved in a discussion for which you don't have the privilege to buy one as an SA...OPSEC!

B1ST
12-19-2009, 20:44
Narkcop--I suspect you're a "TFO." I don't particularly post negative comments, but you're COMSEC is out of line. Remember, if you are in fact a TFO, you're not DEA--you're just working with them on a task force. COMSEC, buddy. Enough said...

TattooedGlock
12-20-2009, 05:47

Pros or cons, 1911 is still the best grip, best trigger and one of the most accurate guns made.

People like to say that its an old, outdated design...we still use the wheel don't we?!?

Narkcop
12-20-2009, 06:55
Narkcop--I suspect you're a "TFO." I don't particularly post negative comments, but you're COMSEC is out of line. Remember, if you are in fact a TFO, you're not DEA--you're just working with them on a task force. COMSEC, buddy. Enough said...

If you were to know anyone affiliated with DEA, I can tell by this comment that you don't. Ask them if a TFO is REAL DEA. Many offices have more TFO'S than Agents.

COMSEC, WTF are you talking about? Like it's a big secret what guns are used and approved...

Rinspeed
12-20-2009, 07:34
COMSEC, WTF are you talking about? Like it's a big secret what guns are used and approved...

I was thinking the same thing. :dunno:

Captain Caveman
12-20-2009, 09:50
The list is VERY short. Basically any Glock or Sig in 9mm, .40S&W or .45ACP. Also the H&K USPc in V3 .40S&W. And S&W 5 shot .38spl as BACK-UP only. With the G22 as issued.

It's no big secret...The S&W M&P was also recently authorized.

Captain Caveman
12-20-2009, 09:55
If you were to know anyone affiliated with DEA, I can tell by this comment that you don't. Ask them if a TFO is REAL DEA. Many offices have more TFO'S than Agents.

DEA TFO's are sworn in and have all the rights and privileges as agents. Don't know if this is true for all agencies, but it is with DEA.

ultra45
12-20-2009, 10:14
DEA TFO's are sworn in and have all the rights and privileges as agents. Don't know if this is true for all agencies, but it is with DEA.

Customs has a TFO program, its far smaller than DEA, but are sworn with ALL the powers, same as DEA. Of course, USMS has Special Deputies, status varies from limited to full blown. It depends on what you do and who you are.

GVFlyer
12-20-2009, 11:54

I wouldn't sweat it - you haven't said anything that wasn't printed in Defense Review.

series1811
12-20-2009, 12:44

DEA even has Group Supervisors and ASACs who are TFO's.

Narkcop
12-20-2009, 14:37
I still chuckle at the COMSEC comment posted about the DEA handgun...

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

B1ST
12-20-2009, 21:19
There's Special Agents (SA) and Task Force Officer's (TFO). A "TFO" is NOT a federal agent or federal employee. A "TFO" is a local or state cop who is deputized with CSA enforcement authority because he/she is simply working with the DEA. This is sometimes voluntarily or involuntarily (i.e. an agency can assign a rep from their agency to get TFO creds by the officers choice or by the local/state agency's choice). He/she is paid primarily by his/her LE agency, but it's usually standard practice to "milk" the feds for OT. A "TFO" does NOT go through the hiring process (i.e. written test, interview, fitness test, polygraph, psych exam, hiring board, DEA academy, etc...) You are not DEA, you are a local or state cop with "deputized" and "limited" federal authority.

Regarding COMSEC...I don't think it's prudent to make mention of internal policies, ammunition, qual standards, and agency reports (if you're a TFO, you know what I'm referring to).

B1ST
12-20-2009, 21:48
BTW--series1811, irregardless if you're a GS or ASAC as a TFO, you're still NOT a DEA federal agent. You're an officer from a local or state agency occupying a supervisory position with the DEA under "deputized" authority. Again, TFO's do NOT go through the hiring process in any shape or form and are not held to the same standards as DEA SA's (i.e. prerequisites of having a college degree, background, fitness standards, etc...) they simply apply/be put in for creds while they're playing with the DEA.

MD357
12-21-2009, 01:13
:popcorn:

Narkcop
12-21-2009, 04:27
I hate to tell you but when proffering the AUSA advises the defendant not to lie to me or they will face a charge of lying to a Federal Agent. My arrest powers,case responsibilities,and other duties are same as an Agent.

Proffering (Defendant and his lawyer meet with Agent's/TFO's and provide info)
AUSA (Assistant United States Attorney)

Hey we also drive civilian vehicles.

Oops, Hope I didn't violate COMSEC.....

series1811
12-21-2009, 05:33
BTW--series1811, irregardless if you're a GS or ASAC as a TFO, you're still NOT a DEA federal agent. You're an officer from a local or state agency occupying a supervisory position with the DEA under "deputized" authority. Again, TFO's do NOT go through the hiring process in any shape or form and are not held to the same standards as DEA SA's (i.e. prerequisites of having a college degree, background, fitness standards, etc...) they simply apply/be put in for creds while they're playing with the DEA.

I don't think you have even figured out what series1811 means, yet. :supergrin:

Send me an e-mail on FB, to RAC/GRO and we'll talk about it.

B1ST
12-21-2009, 07:56
Someone who is not secure with their manhood, so they resort to, "hey look at me, I'm a federal agent (1811/criminal investigator)...

B1ST
12-21-2009, 08:01
narkcop--you're still only a TFO. Yes, you have, again, ONLY "DEPUTIZED" authority. And, NO you're title is not federal agent. And, NO you didn't go through the hiring process. And, NO you don't have all of the privileges as an SA. For example when you're done with your stint with DEA you go back to your local or state copper position. And, NO you don't have all of the privileges (i.e. you can't transfer to another CONUS or OCONUS position, you have to remain as a TFO in your jurisdiction). And the list goes on and on...

Narkcop
12-21-2009, 12:59
narkcop--you're still only a TFO. Yes, you have, again, ONLY "DEPUTIZED" authority. And, NO you're title is not federal agent. And, NO you didn't go through the hiring process. And, NO you don't have all of the privileges as an SA. For example when you're done with your stint with DEA you go back to your local or state copper position. And, NO you don't have all of the privileges (i.e. you can't transfer to another CONUS or OCONUS position, you have to remain as a TFO in your jurisdiction). And the list goes on and on...

I have a rule that I have violated here. I do not argue with idiots and I shall stop.

Glockdude1
12-21-2009, 13:37
http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/16.gif

ultra45
12-21-2009, 13:48
i have a rule that i have violated here. I do not argue with idiots and i shall stop.

+1000

series1811
12-21-2009, 14:55
Someone who is not secure with their manhood, so they resort to, "hey look at me, I'm a federal agent (1811/criminal investigator)...

No, it's called knowing what you are talking about. And, you don't. Sorry.

DaBigBR
12-21-2009, 19:21
Narkcop (TFO)--u need to practice OPSEC! U r not an SA, why r u getting involved in a discussion for which you don't have the privilege to buy one as an SA...OPSEC!

Any law enforcement officer can order a Springfield Professional Model from Springfield for $2100. Any civilian can order one for $2600. The guns are made by the same smiths and the one that an FBI SWAT guy gets is the same as the one a DEA guy gets is the same as a lowly local cop like me gets is the same as the one that joe blow gets. There really is no "OPSEC" issue.

There's Special Agents (SA) and Task Force Officer's (TFO).

Which one are you?

So in other words, Narkcop is full of it because he's a TFO, and series1811 is full of it because he's a bona fide special agent? This begs the question - why are YOU full of it?

B1ST
12-21-2009, 21:46
Let's see--first we have insecure “Narkcop” attempting to portray himself as being more than he really is. Then we have “series1811” blabbing and show-boating that he is one. Then we have both of them jumping on eachothers bandwagon because of their small men complex. Hey fellas, I did not get involved with this thread to sling mud, but when you have a person boasting about what he is and actually he really is NOT, I got to call bull****! I don't have anything nice to say about imposters. So I won’t.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
And for series1811, if you are any type of LEO (local, state, or federal) I dam sure wouldn't have a Facebook account telling the world that I'm an officer/agent, all the while displaying buku personal info (i.e. family, friends, associates, interests, etc.) it simply spells amateur and a reckless disregard for your agency, family, and friends…<o:p></o:p>
As for you Narkcop, I'm also done with this thread and will end my side with one phrase, "wannabe." <o:p></o:p>

Glock-it-to-me
12-21-2009, 21:56
Methinks there a numerous 1911-packing Texas Rangers giggling.

GVFlyer
12-21-2009, 23:56
Rangers don't giggle. They may guffaw or laugh out-f______g loud, but they never ever giggle. They also never sashay, they may on occassion mosey, but sashaying is out of the question.

I also find it entertaining that there are characters here laying there legal Johnsons out to see whose is longer. I respect anyone who carries a badge - it's a tough job and don't buy into their being a law enforement heirarcy. I've seen too many professionals all levels of law enforcement to think that. I've worked and socialized with folks in the FBI's Virginia aviation elements, have friends in Customs aviation and a friend who is an instructor at FLETC and none of them think they're any better than anyone else wearing a badge - they just have different jobs.

ilgunguygt
12-22-2009, 00:39
Wow, GT doesnt let us down this time either.

DaBigBR
12-22-2009, 01:28
Let's see--first we have insecure “Narkcop” attempting to portray himself as being more than he really is. Then we have “series1811” blabbing and show-boating that he is one. Then we have both of them jumping on eachothers bandwagon because of their small men complex. Hey fellas, I did not get involved with this thread to sling mud, but when you have a person boasting about what he is and actually he really is NOT, I got to call bull****! I don't have anything nice to say about imposters. So I won’t.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
And for series1811, if you are any type of LEO (local, state, or federal) I dam sure wouldn't have a Facebook account telling the world that I'm an officer/agent, all the while displaying buku personal info (i.e. family, friends, associates, interests, etc.) it simply spells amateur and a reckless disregard for your agency, family, and friends…<o:p></o:p>
As for you Narkcop, I'm also done with this thread and will end my side with one phrase, "wannabe." <o:p></o:p>

First of all...you never responded as to which category you fall in to: TFO, SA, or neither.

Second, calling a TFO an "impostor" or "wannabe" solely because he is a TFO is ridiculous. Saying that an SA has a "small man" complex because he disagrees with your assessment of what exactly a TFO "is" is laughable.

For the record...I'm just a podunk town cop...not even a TFO.

B1ST
12-22-2009, 08:11
DaBigBR--Thanks for your insight podunk...it really means a whole lot of NOTHING!

ilgunguygt
12-22-2009, 10:30
DaBigBR--Thanks for your insight podunk...it really means a whole lot of NOTHING!
You realize that you may as well create a new username, as you have sestroyed all credibility with ths one. Alsdo, if you want to know why people hate on cops, read your posts and look in a mirror.:rofl:

ETA: inluding narkop and all the other weiner swingers that posted and ruined an otherwise good thread.

SouthpawShootr
12-22-2009, 20:46
It still is a good thread. Albeit even with the irrelevant side track and one of the more ridiculous pissing contests I've seen lately on this board. :rofl: It is still informative.

Mayhem like Me
12-23-2009, 07:28

You're 15 and live in moms basement right?

Mayhem like Me
12-23-2009, 07:31

Yes and so does your OPSEC tinfoil speech...

The SA professional is a catologed item and the fact that the DEA authorizes it as a PODA purchase means nothing except maybe to a deskbound pouge.

Cut to a Big DEA briefing anytown usa the case agent is giving a briefing.........................

Ok guys and now that all the local cops are out of the room you can take your Sigs off and place on your hip the awesome power of the 1911, we will no longer take second place to our bretheren from quantico we can now go COCKED AND LOCKED.......fade away

Mayhem like Me
12-23-2009, 07:54
I would like to say that I have shot the new and old versions of the SApro FBI SWAT guns and cannot tell a difference in quality they both shot exactly to point of aim and were very consistant, so much so that at 10 yards i was able to make a smiley face target in the head.

GVFlyer
12-23-2009, 12:35

You're 15 and live in moms basement right?

The SA professional is a catologed item and the fact that the DEA authorizes it as a PODA purchase means nothing except maybe to a deskbound pouge.

Cut to a Big DEA briefing anytown usa the case agent is giving a briefing.........................

Ok guys and now that all the local cops are out of the room you can take your Sigs off and place on your hip the awesome power of the 1911, we will no longer take second place to our bretheren from quantico we can now go COCKED AND LOCKED.......fade away

Clever...and very funny.

TattooedGlock
12-23-2009, 12:44
I thought the feds all carried laser beams and mind erase devices!

You are all a bunch of mall ninjas, or really young agents who don't know when to shut your mouths.

Mayhem like Me
12-23-2009, 12:52
I thought the feds all carried laser beams and mind erase devices!

You are all a bunch of mall ninjas, or really young agents who don't know when to shut your mouths.

And your what a Super mall Ninja Brave on calling out those anonymous internet kids.....

B1ST
12-23-2009, 22:07
Swatbwana--you're just the same--an insecure wannabe. I mean it's pretty obvious with that small man complex user name (swatbwana) "hey look at me...i'm on a swat team" and your "major league" wannabe avatar--that's really original, buddy...

And for tattooedglock (lawman from texas) whoooo, that's impressive...not!!! I really like your humor. No i really mean it...not!!! Dude obviously your another local that has not seen both sides (local & feds), so your comments mean nothing. Unless you have been there and done that, there is no credibility whatever comes out of your pie-hole!

Again, my comments started and was directed to one person who was blabbing his mouth...not acting professional. Yes, most of it is public information; however, my point to narkcop was to not include some of the internal firearms/shooting standards and to stay away from using report writing procedures. I'm sure his intentions was to be funny, but remember--we are at war! We don't need to be offering s**t to everyone on the "world-wide" net.

ilgunguygt
12-23-2009, 22:34
Swatbwana--you're just the same--an insecure wannabe. I mean it's pretty obvious with that small man complex user name (swatbwana) "hey look at me...i'm on a swat team" and your "major league" wannabe avatar--that's really original, buddy...

And for tattooedglock (lawman from texas) whoooo, that's impressive...not!!! I really like your humor. No i really mean it...not!!! Dude obviously your another local that has not seen both sides (local & feds), so your comments mean nothing. Unless you have been there and done that, there is no credibility whatever comes out of your pie-hole!

Again, my comments started and was directed to one person who was blabbing his mouth...not acting professional. Yes, most of it is public information; however, my point to narkcop was to not include some of the internal firearms/shooting standards and to stay away from using report writing procedures. I'm sure his intentions was to be funny, but remember--we are at war! We don't need to be offering s**t to everyone on the "world-wide" net.
Sad, Gotta love a good E-Thug, at least you are entertaining.:wavey:

Mayhem like Me
12-23-2009, 23:39

Mom fell asleep again eh Jr.. Go back under the porch... the yard is for big dogs....
I am vetted on numerous sites know some of these people through professional contacts you are a poser.
No wait you are less than a Poser you are a parrot .. you mouth things you have heard or read other people do you are the worst example of a parrot.. because you ar not even entertaining, you are pathetic and humorless. you would not know what qualifies as OPSEC if it bit you....you would not even know what it means if you had not googled it...

B1ST
12-24-2009, 00:11
SWATBWANA--I mean WanaBswat--he, he, he...Check me out, I'm "vetted." Give me a break! Vetted Girl Scout, I would buy--he, he, he.......

Mayhem like Me
12-24-2009, 00:13
I hear your mom calling your hot pockets done .................you'd better get back to the x box or SANTA won't bring you another Airsoft...

TattooedGlock
12-24-2009, 05:35
SWATBWANA--I mean WanaBswat--he, he, he...Check me out, I'm "vetted." Give me a break! Vetted Girl Scout, I would buy--he, he, he.......

For a guy or kid with 10 posts you should be seen and not heard. Many folks on here know what job I do and what jobs I've done. I have no reason to justify anything to anyone here. Internet wanna-bes just crack me up. Everyone thinks they're a hero or a superstar, when most of them have never dealt with an active shooter, hostage situation, etc.

All the folks on here who have dealt with the real deal know what they've dealt with. We don't need to justify it to anyone.

SouthpawShootr
12-24-2009, 07:35

What are we talking about, again?:shocked:

Bozz
12-24-2009, 15:22
Its CHRISTMAS guys, be nice.

hatidua
12-25-2009, 09:47

What are we talking about, again?:shocked:

primarily chest-puffing and wiener-measuring.

Wolfgang
12-25-2009, 10:11
it's a special Kimber, not unlike the LAPD SWAT TLE, SIS models.

it is now an 8 month wait for a Kimber

SouthpawShootr
12-25-2009, 10:21
it's a special Kimber, not unlike the LAPD SWAT TLE, SIS models.

it is now an 8 month wait for a Kimber

Considering they pretty much discontinued a good chunk of their line, that should be cut back a little. I wonder if they are going to honor orders for discontinued models or just tell their customers "sorry."

I like the TLE I have very much. If the new DEA gun is similar, I think those who get them will like them.

Chevy327
12-28-2009, 10:05
I don't really think the Springfield Pro would be all that difficult to carry. How much does a fully loaded Glock 21 weigh? Most people can tread water holding a 10 pound pool brick over their heads. What difference does a few ounces in your holster make really? Cut out the fries at Burger King for a week and your back at the same total weight for you and your equipment! I'll haul around a 1911 for a few days and let you know what I think then. How about that?

Those guns are relatively flat, too. (Trying to convince myself! :supergrin:)

Regarding the 8 shot thing, load a few extra magazines and learn how to change them fast. There are tons of police hauling around Sig P220's with similar limitations.

Is the 1911 the best tool for the job? Who knows? It's got a better trigger and the higher qual standards and 2000 round transition course can't hurt!

If an officer is committed to carrying a 1911, they probably know something about guns and shooting and probably should be taken pretty seriously. I think it's more an issue of the shooter than the equipment.

These are exciting times! Let's all go get some Springfield Pros!!! Big boomers with brass you can TRIP OVER!

Chevy327
12-28-2009, 22:05
I think the Les Baer Stinger would have made some sense. I don't think they wanted to go through all the testing again to approve a different model.

Chevy327
12-29-2009, 17:58
Or this...

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Professional1911/LesBaerPS/DSC00375-1.jpg

Do you think they'd notice?

walkin' trails
12-30-2009, 07:25
The Springfield probably got the first nod because of its track record with the FBI. I'd like to see the Rock Rivers added to the list (when RRA gets caught up and back intothe 1911 business). I can't remember which model, but the one I fired was capable of taking the head off a sunflower (the prairie weed variety) at 25 yards.

Chevy327
12-30-2009, 11:30
Nice shooting! The pistol is great, but you can't be a hack and shoot it that well!

I'd been told by 1911 people that the Rock River people left Les Baer I guess they took the "highway" option. I also understand that Les Baer used to be in charge of Springfield custom.

There are alot of the same minds and ideas generating these fine pistols.

I'm really glad the police stopped having their fun on this thread! I know those guys are all good officers because they seem to care. Police are funny. They love to win, they never quit, and they're used to being right, so when the internal arguments get going, nobody wants to stop! If you could put those guys together somewhere, they'd be buying each other drinks in about 10 minutes.

Happy New Year! I love this thread!!!

Quack
12-30-2009, 11:39
Rangers don't giggle.

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Imported/ShowPix/Jonathan/imagesN_Z/walker-texas-ranger.jpg

OVERTHEHILLGUY
01-09-2010, 18:27
100 years later ------John Browning knew what he was doing.

OVERTHEHILLGUY

walkin' trails
01-09-2010, 19:35
100 years later ------John Browning knew what he was doing.

OVERTHEHILLGUY

Ain't that the truth!

Chevy327
01-10-2010, 21:18
It's amazing, isn't it?

But...why do people who favor 1911's in .45ACP prefer them?

For me, the grip ergonomics and reach to the trigger make it great. The trigger is superior, in my estimation, to modern striker-fired autos. The caliber is acceptable to most and considered the best by many.

The weight is comparably heavy, but the pistol is rather flat.

Is the SA Professional the best authorized pistol for a DEA Special Agent to carry?

Narkcop
01-11-2010, 05:41
I would say the Glock 22 or 23 is the most widely used DEA pistol and the best for it's intended purpose. I do get a few envious comments from other agencies when I am carrying my 1911.

Chevy327
01-11-2010, 06:56
I would say the Glock 22 or 23 is the most widely used DEA pistol and the best for it's intended purpose. I do get a few envious comments from other agencies when I am carrying my 1911.

Yeah...but why do you think the G22/G23 is best?

Why do you sometimes carry your 1911?

Thanks

BOGE
01-11-2010, 21:28
Yeah...but why do you think the G22/G23 is best?...

1. Because they always go bang.

2. When your nads are in the vise it´s a helluva lot easier to point & pull than fiddle with safeties.

GVFlyer
01-11-2010, 23:20
I would say the Glock 22 or 23 is the most widely used DEA pistol and the best for it's intended purpose.

You really think so?

Narkcop
01-12-2010, 05:39
1911's require a higher degree of competency and maintenance, I find most Police lack both when it comes to firearms.

faawrenchbndr
01-12-2010, 05:50

2. When your nads are in the vise it´s a helluva lot easier to point & pull than fiddle with safeties.

As long as there is never a light mounted!:whistling:

Will we be seeing a video of a DEA shooting himself in the foot
with a 1911?! :dunno: Doubtful!

Chevy327
01-12-2010, 06:02
I see where you guys are going with this, but my 1911's have gone bang everytime.

After the extensive transition course, the agents will be sweeping the safties to the fire position...even on their Glocks.

Why else is the Glock 22/23 a better suited pistol for DEA Agent work?

The obvious thing is the weight. A fully loaded Glock 21 is just over 38 oz. A 1911 generally weighs about 43 oz loaded, I believe...so that's one thing.

ajgranda
01-12-2010, 07:41
1911's require a higher degree of competency and maintenance, I find most Police lack both when it comes to firearms.

Being a retired LEO I agree with you 100%, plus the cost is a huge consideration. It may be a little different in pro gun states where many have grown up with guns, but around here 99% have never even held a gun until the academy.

faawrenchbndr
01-12-2010, 09:46
If I were in the LE business and could carry a 1911, I would.

M1A Shooter
01-12-2010, 14:45
wish i could have carried the 1911 too. i was stuck with a M9 Beretta for 10 years.

faawrenchbndr
01-12-2010, 14:50
I REALLY like the Beretta,....but I LOVE the 1911.

Chevy327
01-12-2010, 21:16
I REALLY like the Beretta,....but I LOVE the 1911.

Why do you love the 1911?

Are there particular attributes that make you love it?

Thanks

nastytrigger
01-12-2010, 22:10
I don't carry my 1911 much, but I trust my Springfield Loaded 100%. I wish it was a TRP or Pro, but it works! I can't justify a $2k-$3k gun of any kind. My Bushy AR was $800 and I was "tighter than a bulls a** in y season" with my wallet. I believe I make more than an agent. I could barely afford a custom 1911, why would they want to spend hard earned money on another pistol, let alone multiple grand? Investment? Plus, I hate to reload. That's all I do with my 7 or 8rd 1911. If I had to carry a full size .45 on patrol or to war, I'd carry my Glock 21! My everyday carry is a Glock 19, but the Glock 21 is my 'night stand' gun, occasional carry. I guess I don't get the 1911 hype either... but I like my Springfield Loaded! I really like the design and history of the pistol as a whole, but other designs serve me better. If anyone wants to charity me $3k for a SA Pro, I'll be a very happy man!

GVFlyer
01-13-2010, 03:06
wish i could have carried the 1911 too. i was stuck with a M9 Beretta for 10 years.

I carried a M1911 until there were no more in the inventory, then (reluctantly) went to the M9. You remember what we used to say about about the 9mm Beretta - "If you have to shoot somebody with that thing - shoot him a lot!".

Narkcop
01-13-2010, 04:17
I don't carry my 1911 much, but I trust my Springfield Loaded 100%. I wish it was a TRP or Pro, but it works! I can't justify a $2k-$3k gun of any kind. My Bushy AR was $800 and I was "tighter than a bulls a** in y season" with my wallet. I believe I make more than an agent. I could barely afford a custom 1911, why would they want to spend hard earned money on another pistol, let alone multiple grand? Investment? Plus, I hate to reload. That's all I do with my 7 or 8rd 1911. If I had to carry a full size .45 on patrol or to war, I'd carry my Glock 21! My everyday carry is a Glock 19, but the Glock 21 is my 'night stand' gun, occasional carry. I guess I don't get the 1911 hype either... but I like my Springfield Loaded! I really like the design and history of the pistol as a whole, but other designs serve me better. If anyone wants to charity me $3k for a SA Pro, I'll be a very happy man!

Most Agents make $100,000 plus a year, I think they can afford a SA 1911 TRP Pro, it's just most are going to carry what they are issued.

Skysoldier
01-13-2010, 07:33
I' fail to see why all sudden the DEA. FBT and all the other high speed police units need a $2000-$3000 custom 45. Hell LA PD Swat gets "2" guns. Wheyn I was a kid like most of you Cops got buy with 38 Colt & Smith wheelguns. If they are allowed to carry a 45auto a Glock 21sf or a plain jane Colt would do if they need all the bells and whistles let them pay for it them selves. No I am not anti-Cop my Son is a police Officer. I just think the 2 to 3 grand custom handguns is a little much

MADBMW
01-13-2010, 07:48
I' fail to see why all sudden the DEA. FBT and all the other high speed police units need a $2000-$3000 custom 45. Hell LA PD Swat gets "2" guns. Wheyn I was a kid like most of you Cops got buy with 38 Colt & Smith wheelguns. If they are allowed to carry a 45auto a Glock 21sf or a plain jane Colt would do if they need all the bells and whistles let them pay for it them selves. No I am not anti-Cop my Son is a police Officer. I just think the 2 to 3 grand custom handguns is a little much

The DEA agents will be paying for it themselves. FBI HRT and SWAT are the only FBI agents that get issued the pro, so given the total number of agents, the total is actually fairly low.

faawrenchbndr
01-13-2010, 08:32
Why do you love the 1911?

Are there particular attributes that make you love it?

Thanks

Trigger pull
Ergonomics
Safety position
Ballance
Shootability

Chevy327
01-13-2010, 22:00

It would be worth it to me just to participate in the transition course!

Thanks faawrenchbndr! Me, too.

SEKY
01-16-2010, 22:58
Here is a pretty good article about the "CRG"

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory06.php

series1811
01-17-2010, 08:19

Most agents carry the issued Glocks or Sigs for the same reason most cops like to carry issued pistols, rifles and shotguns. Guns used every day for work, tend to get a lot of use and abuse. I've seen agents' guns go completely underwater in fresh and salt water, on arrests, operations, etc. (Katrina being a great example), where the gun couldn't be cleaned off until much later. I fought an arrestee in the mud once, in a recently plowed field on the back side of the Mississippi levee, and when it was over, you couldn't even see my handgun (a Beretta 92) it had so much mud on it. I didn't get a chance to do anything but wipe it off until I got home that night. Working in New Orleans several years, my Sig P228 sights, grip screws, and slide release turned completely red from rust, not matter what I did, just from sweat that got on the gun on really hot humid days, from wearing it in an IWB holster that was itself completely soaked with sweat.

How many people would be excited about that stuff happening to their $2000 1911?

GVFlyer
01-17-2010, 10:24
Good point. One of the things I liked about my issue M1911 was its ability to function reliably when it was dirty or fouled by whatever the local contaminant happened to be.

walkin' trails
01-17-2010, 16:45
I've always preferred to carry personally owned handguns on the job. I've put several of them thru some pretty serious abuse in addition to shooting them a lot. Probably the most serious chaa ching I've given a gun was when I flipped an ATV and landed on my blued S&W Model 19. It left a couple of good scratches thru the leather holster into the cylinder. Didn't hurt the function though. Most of what I carry today isn't worth more than $5-600 if I had to replace it. Getting a $2K Springfield dirty or wet is one thing. My biggest concern is that if I had to use the thing on duty, depending on the jurisdiction, it might sit in a department's evidence vault for a while. Some departments are pretty good about returning a cops pistol after a justifiable shoot. Others may hang onto it longer.

Rabbit Creek
01-17-2010, 19:40
Seven pages of mostly kiddie talk, same olde Glock Talk..

Since the OP subject was DEA & 1911s, no mention of the early 90s Bauer/Para $2K customs that remain in a warehouse because they were jammamatics??

Gary1911A1
01-18-2010, 09:10
Seven pages of mostly kiddie talk, same olde Glock Talk..

Since the OP subject was DEA & 1911s, no mention of the early 90s Bauer/Para $2K customs that remain in a warehouse because they were jammamatics??
My understanding was the FBI brought in Steve Nastoff to fix the early Baer/Para 1911s' and kept Steve around to help with the specs for the current FBI 1911. I seem to recall there was a problem with the Baer Slide fitting as well as the Para Magazines.

deMontacute
01-18-2010, 09:17
And sometimes they go kaboom!:tongueout:

John_Galt
01-18-2010, 22:25
I still chuckle at the COMSEC comment posted about the DEA handgun...

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

Ok, this is totally off the subject and all, but Lincoln originally got that quote from a variation of Proverns 17:28. (I only know because this was pointed out to me several times growing up. Please don't confuse me with someone who can quote scripture pas my personal favorite verses.) It's been atributed to Mark Twain and Ben Franklin in slightly different versions too.

Sorry for the interuption, back to our regularly scheduled programing.

BOGE
01-18-2010, 23:39
My understanding was the FBI brought in Steve Nastoff to fix the early Baer/Para 1911s' and kept Steve around to help with the specs for the current FBI 1911. I seem to recall there was a problem with the Baer Slide fitting as well as the Para Magazines.

Matt Gish is currently one of the head armorers at the FBI & with good reason. Those of you ¨in the know¨ know who he is in the world of 1911´s. He worked over a Colt Pocket Nine for me a few years back. Great guy & even better work.

Big_Drunk
01-22-2010, 07:45
The purchasing agent has the option of having "DEA" as the first three alphanumerics in the serial number.

It will still be a Springfield Professional.

Cochese
01-23-2010, 01:03

There's Special Agents (SA) and Task Force Officer's (TFO). A "TFO" is NOT a federal agent or federal employee. A "TFO" is a local or state cop who is deputized with CSA enforcement authority because he/she is simply working with the DEA. This is sometimes voluntarily or involuntarily (i.e. an agency can assign a rep from their agency to get TFO creds by the officers choice or by the local/state agency's choice). He/she is paid primarily by his/her LE agency, but it's usually standard practice to "milk" the feds for OT. A "TFO" does NOT go through the hiring process (i.e. written test, interview, fitness test, polygraph, psych exam, hiring board, DEA academy, etc...) You are not DEA, you are a local or state cop with "deputized" and "limited" federal authority.

Regarding COMSEC...I don't think it's prudent to make mention of internal policies, ammunition, qual standards, and agency reports (if you're a TFO, you know what I'm referring to).

You might have to be one of the ****ing stupidest mother ****ers I have ever run into on this ****ing site.

Ever.

Agreed.

I wonder if this policy will make its way to ICE?

Big_Drunk
01-23-2010, 22:11
The guy that got this done at DEA had been working on it for six years. ICE will have to have someone with some horsepower get behind it and stay with it. Everyone is so nervous these days; it will probably take some selling to get it done.

Cochese
01-23-2010, 22:54
The guy that got this done at DEA had been working on it for six years. ICE will have to have someone with some horsepower get behind it and stay with it. Everyone is so nervous these days; it will probably take some selling to get it done.

I'd be interested to hear the backstory.

I got non FPS 1911s approved at my PD recently. I shoved the FBI's legwork down their throat and eventually made it happen. No small feat but sure as hell not 6 years worth. :uglylol:

series1811
01-24-2010, 04:26
I'd be interested to hear the backstory.

I got non FPS 1911s approved at my PD recently. I shoved the FBI's legwork down their throat and eventually made it happen. No small feat but sure as hell not 6 years worth. :uglylol:

You'd have to hear the story on getting flash-bangs approved, and then unapproved, and you'd believe it. :supergrin:

Cochese
01-24-2010, 05:13
You'd have to hear the story on getting flash-bangs approved, and then unapproved, and you'd believe it. :supergrin:

I need to buy you a few beers one of these days. :rofl:

Narkcop
01-24-2010, 05:29
We are at the point where we need Ops Plan approval to go to the bathroom....The whole system is INSPECTION driven...NO ONE worrys about enforcement...Oh my God what if there is a finding...Ask management about a 1911 and they would get the manual out to see what it says..It makes me sick.

Cochese
01-24-2010, 05:33
What do you know? Your just a TFO.

And what does series1811 know?? Just a SA!

:rofl:

Narkcop
01-24-2010, 05:55
I work with the last SA that actually got into a shooting with a 1911. He shot the bad guy with his 1911 and took a round thru his jacket, he wasn't hit. He's mandatory retiring in about 6 months.

Big_Drunk
01-24-2010, 07:55
We are at the point where we need Ops Plan approval to go to the bathroom....The whole system is INSPECTION driven...NO ONE worrys about enforcement...Oh my God what if there is a finding...Ask management about a 1911 and they would get the manual out to see what it says..It makes me sick.

There are still some who want to put a bad guy in jail.

You have to work around those scared managers. You're Drew Brees, and the scared managers (career builders) are the defensive line. You just have to keep dodging around those guys until you can throw a successful pass down field. Deep down they want you to succeed...so they can run to their bosses and take credit for your work. Be patient and keep after it. You can do good inspite of them. Don't worry about them. Put your hands on the crook. That's what you want to do anyway, right!

Just for the sake of the thread, I heard the DEA Pros will be delivered in June!

Chevy327
01-28-2010, 23:14
I see where you guys are going with this, but my 1911's have gone bang everytime.

After the extensive transition course, the agents will be sweeping the safties to the fire position...even on their Glocks.

Why else is the Glock 22/23 a better suited pistol for DEA Agent work?

The obvious thing is the weight. A fully loaded Glock 21 is just over 38 oz. A 1911 generally weighs about 43 oz loaded, I believe...so that's one thing.
It's been a while since I carried a 1911, so I carried an all steel one around for about 10 hours today. As predicted, it was noticeably heavier than a Glock 22 fully loaded but it was acceptable to me. I think an IWB holster may help keep the weight of the gun in closer to the body.

Big_Drunk
03-16-2010, 01:25
I heard that a couple of the DEA Pros had been delivered.

CAcop
03-16-2010, 12:54
I just saw this thread again after goig to my Colt armorer's course recently. The instructor was telling us about his time working on a DEA task force a long time ago. His agencey approved of the 1911 at the time. When he got there he was told the story of why they can't have one. It was before his time but just by few years so it was fresh in everyone's mind. It involved a bathroom stall, a coat hook, and bumpfiring.

Narkcop
03-17-2010, 05:16
I don't know of the story you were told or if it's true. I do know that I work with the last Agent in DEA that shot someone with a 1911 (185 grain silvertips). He is mandatory retiring in 3 months. I carry my 1911 on occasion but honestly the G27 is usually what I'm armed with.

Big_Drunk
03-17-2010, 10:15
He taught me at the academy. He was always great to be around. I hope he has a great retirement.

I ordered in late September, about the same time they were authorized and was told that there were quite a few already ordered. It's supposed to be here in June, but I'm expecting at least one delay.

There was a transition course approved. It's said to be pretty challenging with alot of magazine changing and moving while shooting.

Narkcop
03-17-2010, 18:09
Yeah we will miss him when he's gone. He was at the academy for a few years and actually tested many guns for approval or denial. We just qualed last week and it was his last range to run.

Big_Drunk
08-12-2010, 18:54
I received the Pro today. I'm surprised how low the serial number is.

It's everything I expected. I can't wait to shoot it!

Ruggles
08-12-2010, 19:07
I received the Pro today. I'm surprised how low the serial number is.

It's everything I expected. I can't wait to shoot it!

Sweet, post some pics !

Cochese
08-12-2010, 19:40
Jealous!

(Until mine is here!)

Big_Drunk
08-12-2010, 21:11
When is it supposed to arrive?

My co-workers who ordered green frames have to wait until November!

I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

Cochese
08-12-2010, 21:31
When is it supposed to arrive?

My co-workers who ordered green frames have to wait until November!

I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

12-13 weeks, per Deb. She blames Birdsong's Black-T turnaround for the delay.

I blame the DEA. :steamed:

:supergrin: (I switched mine to a 9mm chambering, so that didn't help my wait. Ordered June/July '09)

Glockdude1
08-13-2010, 12:08
(I switched mine to a 9mm chambering, so that didn't help my wait. Ordered June/July '09)

:faint:

Cochese
08-13-2010, 12:26
:faint:

I don't own a single .45 currently.

I have 5 or 6 9mm guns though. Much cheaper to shoot!

Janno05
08-13-2010, 12:46
I sure do wish I could carry a springfield PRO around at work. Not only do I really really want one, but it would cut down on the PITA patients always griping about pain meds.

Big_Drunk
08-30-2010, 18:49
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Professional1911/Fusion20/DSCF2102-1-1.jpg

willis68
08-30-2010, 18:53
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Professional1911/Fusion20/DSCF2102-1-1.jpg

That is Very nice :cool:

Yellowfin
08-30-2010, 18:56
Proof that 1911's really are addictive.

Big_Drunk
08-30-2010, 18:58
Thanks. I'm working on a few more pictures.

http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Professional1911/Fusion20/DSCF2103-2.jpg

Big_Drunk
08-30-2010, 19:03
http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac135/Professional1911/Fusion20/DSCF2121-1.jpg

Cochese
08-30-2010, 19:56
No rail, huh?

willis68
08-30-2010, 20:12
Well, I am sold now the fact that the DEA is now in some capacity carrying them sealed the deal for me I have been thinking about buying one for years and just got on the waiting list, so between now and 15 months I will own my own PC9111 with NO rail

Big_Drunk
08-30-2010, 20:44
No rail, huh?

Yeah, I wrestled with the decision a little bit, but I normally carry a Rock River LAR-15 (with a light) on entries. I envisioned carrying the 1911 concealed in a belt holster, so I opted for the standard model.

PhoneCop
08-30-2010, 22:12
I call bunk, it was strongly insinuated that the 1911 was outdated, like a Harley.

Infallible
08-30-2010, 22:31

Wow, someone has been sitting behind the desk for far too long. Hey buddy, why don't you go out onto the streets once in awhile, it may open your eyes a bit as to what reality is.

Glockdude1
08-30-2010, 22:43

:thumbsup:

Cochese
08-30-2010, 23:02
Yeah, I wrestled with the decision a little bit, but I normally carry a Rock River LAR-15 (with a light) on entries. I envisioned carrying the 1911 concealed in a belt holster, so I opted for the standard model.

Understandable, although they do make nice IWB hoslters for railed gov't models.

:tbo:

Get both!

Mountain Walker
08-31-2010, 00:30
Will we see this in the next episode of "Breaking Bad"? Perhaps our man Hank the DEA Agent will return to duty with one of these new approved 1911s. We will have to wait until next July to see.

Rinspeed
08-31-2010, 04:26
Thanks for the pics Mr. Drunk.

Big_Drunk
08-31-2010, 05:35
Thanks for the pics Mr. Drunk.

My pleasure. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

It's been a real privilege working for DEA. This opportunity is just one more example of the good fortune I've enjoyed.

As an aside, the "Big Drunk" name was intended to be a play on the old joke that DEA stands for "Drunk Every Afternoon". I laughed when I saw your reply!

"Mr. Drunk" :rofl:

lawdog734
08-31-2010, 13:16
Very Cool.

nastytrigger
08-31-2010, 19:58

I'm envious. My Springer Loaded looks like a Pro, but it sure isn't... :crying:

Chevy327
08-30-2011, 22:13
Believe it or not...and I have it under very good authority...that the Springfield Pro has been disapproved for use on duty by Agents...

I heard that it was strongly implied by the authorizing body that the Agents would not be capable of using a weapon that requires a two part process for firing.

I guess they're gonna can the Rock River LAR-15 and the Remington 870, too.

Big_Drunk
08-30-2011, 22:47
This is true. It was good while it lasted.

Cochese
08-30-2011, 22:51
That's the stupidest ****ing thing I've ever heard.

REMF desk pilots FTL.

samuse
08-30-2011, 22:52
I call bunk, it was strongly insinuated that the 1911 was outdated, like a Harley.

Yeah it is, that's why only certain "top tier" branches of the U.S. gov't and a few 3rd world countries still issue it.:rofl:

MD357
08-30-2011, 22:57
Believe it or not...and I have it under very good authority...that the Springfield Pro has been disapproved for use on duty by Agents...

I heard that it was strongly implied by the authorizing body that the Agents would not be capable of using a weapon that requires a two part process for firing.

I guess they're gonna can the Rock River LAR-15 and the Remington 870, too.

Oh good.... glad you cleared this up a year later.

Big_Drunk
08-31-2011, 05:25
The news about the disapproval is only about a week old. It seemed to have very little to do with the platform itself. When the "Watch Commander" changed, the 1911 went with him!

Chevy327
08-31-2011, 07:18
I thought there might be a modicum of interest in the new development. Thanks for checking it out!

Narkcop
08-31-2011, 18:52
The memo said something about testing had been faulty. Typical DEA.

Cochese
08-31-2011, 18:54
That's retarded.

lawdog734
08-31-2011, 20:01
They didn't say you couldn't carry them, they said they sold them all to Mexico. Too soon?