Calling all bow hunters in TX [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Calling all bow hunters in TX

Ghillie Suite
10-12-2009, 16:01
So, my brother (who is in the Army) is stationed at Fort Hood and I am at Camp Lejeune, NC. So, since I haven't visited him in TX yet, I thought that I would make a road trip to pick him up and take him home for X-Mas (West by God Virginia) to our mom's house.

As you can imagine I won't waste a good trip to TX and miss out on some exceptional white tail deer hunting. My brother has never been bow hunting (hunting in general) so I thought I'd take him as well.

So, my question is for the people from TX... Where is a good place (that still is relatively close to Fort Hood) can I go to get a TROPHY white tail?

Bitmap
10-12-2009, 17:44
First, get out your checkbook . . .

Then, go to google or bing and start looking.

Then hope they aren't already booked for the season.

vafish
10-12-2009, 18:57
He's never been hunting?

And you want to take up bow hunting?

He needs several months practice with a bow before he should even think about shooting a deer.

noway
10-12-2009, 20:36
He's never been hunting?

And you want to take up bow hunting?

He needs several months practice with a bow before he should even think about shooting a deer.

ditto on all counts

For the hunt, you and your brother should hook up with another bower and get some inside tips on locations and cost. Since your servicemen you might find a outfit that would adopt you.

I heard the TBOT are good people.

http://www.tbot.org/

;)

CanyonMan
10-12-2009, 23:09
I agree with the others here , in that, this brother of yours needs some peractice/training, etc, before just bouncing out into the field after deer, and especially with a bow. I am in Texas. The best place with out you being rich, in the area you are talking about, is simply the FT. Hood public area, on a week day. The deer are not that big there, but trophy hunting should not be your priority at this point with an inexperienced hunter. I would not fork out a bundle for him to hunt on a lease, and he does not know what he is doing. There are severl unethical ranches in the area that will allow you, for high price to hunt, but why spend all that doe on a training trip ?

If you must go, get him a rifle, teach him to shoot it well, and go to the FT. Hood public land, "on a week day." at least he gets his feet wet. and your not out a small fortune for nothing....

This IS good advice.... The decision is yours of course.

CanyonMan

Ghillie Suite
10-13-2009, 11:11
I just wanted to spend some time with my brother. I don't expect him to even kill anything (just me), but I just wanted the opportunity to take advantage of tx hunting and some quality time with the bro. I was hoping someone might know of a good place near Kaleen that had some decent public land. Thats all... I didn't think that this was going to turn to bashing me because I just wanted to hunt with my brother. He knows he's never done it...I know hes never done it... I was going to teach him (probably while in the same tree stand) and just be able to have the opportunity to spend some time with him. Nothing more.

You guys need to relax!!

CanyonMan
10-13-2009, 14:30
I just wanted to spend some time with my brother. I don't expect him to even kill anything (just me), but I just wanted the opportunity to take advantage of tx hunting and some quality time with the bro. I was hoping someone might know of a good place near Kaleen that had some decent public land. Thats all... I didn't think that this was going to turn to bashing me because I just wanted to hunt with my brother. He knows he's never done it...I know hes never done it... I was going to teach him (probably while in the same tree stand) and just be able to have the opportunity to spend some time with him. Nothing more.

You guys need to relax!!

Hey Hoss, I re-read all the post here, and have known most all these guys on here for a looong while. I hear ya, and i do not think anyone is "bashing you." I know I ain't. I think everyone is, as you said, Relaxed !

It is just a responce that happens when ya see a guy perhaps fixin to walk off the deep end ya know....

Now, back to your situation. Again, The Ft. Hood public area is your best deal IMO, for the situation you two have. "Bonding time," mixed with a little, "i'll show my brother some of the ropes of hunting." Bla bla..

This will not set you back in the $$$$$ department, and you two can go have fun... Nex time or three, perhaps get more serious with him "hunting wise."

I got a nephew in Iraq (third tour), but when home, stationed at Ft. Hood. We have a ranch for him to come to and hunt/play/relax, R&R. But if it were not for that, I would give him the same advice as I gave you above. Hey check it out, that won't cost you a dime !

Good luck !
Enjoy each other. That is more important anyway. ;)

CanyonMan

chevy01234
10-13-2009, 15:22

You guys need to relax!!

If you guys want to swing through Mississippi on your way home, I got 5,000 acres we can teach your brother on. Not a Texas hunt but we have deer killed every year over 150" and last year the big one was a 176" (along with 2 150's). Y'all get a cheap room and I will put you on the stands.

noway
10-13-2009, 17:07
If you guys want to swing through Mississippi on your way home, I got 5,000 acres we can teach your brother on. Not a Texas hunt but we have deer killed every year over 150" and last year the big one was a 176" (along with 2 150's). Y'all get a cheap room and I will put you on the stands.

What you got?

On the Ft Hood public hunt that would be my 2nd bet also. Most areas around that part of the state are privately own. I 've hunted around Comal, Zapata county and is trying to get a hunting going mid nov in Bastrop county on firends of the family lands. In all cases, it's either family, friends or associates.

One other area that you might try believe it or not, is the local feed store in a small town or a Church for making hunting friends or contacts. For some reason, I've always find hunters in either two of those areas, and they are always doing a invite for something to be killed, eliminated or they just have way to plenty game and wants to share ;)

Ghillie Suite
10-13-2009, 18:13

Thanks, mate!! I just might take you up on that. If anything... it would be the beginning of December. I really appreciate the offer... you have no idea what it means.

chevy01234
10-14-2009, 11:27
What you got?

On the Ft Hood public hunt that would be my 2nd bet also. Most areas around that part of the state are privately own. I 've hunted around Comal, Zapata county and is trying to get a hunting going mid nov in Bastrop county on firends of the family lands. In all cases, it's either family, friends or associates.

One other area that you might try believe it or not, is the local feed store in a small town or a Church for making hunting friends or contacts. For some reason, I've always find hunters in either two of those areas, and they are always doing a invite for something to be killed, eliminated or they just have way to plenty game and wants to share ;)

I have (well actually my grandfather) has about 5,000 acres and my uncles have another 8,000. I'm sure can find two soldiers a tree to climb. My grandfather went to the New Mexico Military institute, graduated "in the army", then on to Annapolis where he graduated "in the navy", then flew for the Marine Corp. Sure he wouldn't mind a couple Army guys hunting on our farm for a weekend or so.

No high fences or high prices here, just well managed land, a cold beer, and some good times. During December I usually duck hunt in the morning then deer hunt in the evenings.

chevy01234
10-14-2009, 11:28
Thanks, mate!! I just might take you up on that. If anything... it would be the beginning of December. I really appreciate the offer... you have no idea what it means.

Just let me know, invitation stands open.

vafish
10-14-2009, 19:57

You guys need to relax!!

GS,

My post was probably the harshest.

But you didn't really explain the above in your first post. To me it sounded like you wanted to take out a new hunter that has never fired a bow and let him shoot a trophy deer. It almost sounded to me like you wanted a "Canned" hunt on one of those high fence properties.

Bow hunting takes a lot of time to build the necessary skills. Shooting trophy deer usually takes a lot of work, scouting, ect.. If you can't put in the time yourself you usually have to pay someone else that has done the work for you.

The guys posting in this thread have put in a lot of years chasing white tailed deer with guns and bows. We pride ourselves on being ethical hunters.

Sorry we had a bit of a miss-communication here. Had all the information been in your first post I wouldn't even have responded because I don't know the hunting around Ft. Hood.

I have hunted on other military bases, while they aren't usually "Trophy" hunts, they do usually offer good hunting. Problem is the ones I have hunted on require a hunter safety certificate and taking a local safety class. Something you may not have time for. But have your brother look into it.

Broke Hoss
10-17-2009, 02:50
Unless you're just dead set on deer, another thought would be a hog hunt. Because of abundance they are cheap, free with a few contacts, and loads of fun. Alot of places will have discounts for military; mostly farther away from Killeen area. But I figure they are on the public hunt area of Ft Hood as well since they are exploding in population everywhere else in TX.