Does anyone out there have special insurance coverage? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone out there have special insurance coverage?

drpdw
10-13-2009, 14:14
Just wondering how any of you feel about having special insurance in the event of a firearm incident. The regulars I shoot with are LEOs, consequently, they don't need it.

I realize that the legal ramifications for engaging another with a deadly weapon, differs by state, with apparently Texas being fairly 2nd amendment-friendly, and Arizona being on the conservative side (based on reading replies to my recent posts).

So, do you have insurance? If so, what kind and is it what we should carry (no pun intended)?

-drpdw

dsw3131
10-14-2009, 12:30
I do not have insurance myself, but a friend of mine purchased a little cheap policy that covers all legal fees, bail money, and attorney fees up until the grand jury portion is over. If the grand jury indicts, the insurance does not cover you beyond that. If the grand jury acquits, then you're out no money. I believe it is offered through the NRA.

drpdw
10-14-2009, 19:21
I appreciate your reply and look forward to others. I remember after completing the Carry class, there was an insurance person who came by and spoke to the class, but he didn't say too much except for the fact that we had to sign up then to get his insurance. I was reluctant to do this without checking it out. I'll visit NRA.

-drpdw

roundgun
10-17-2009, 07:40
Check out www.armedcitizensnetwork.org (http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org) legal defense organization and they are in the process of evaluating defense attorneys that are knowledgeable in defending use of force with firearm, per the members given city and state. They also offer many benefits dealing with the monetary portions of legal defense.

bfg1971
10-22-2009, 08:09
You might ask about an umbrella liability policy and see if that would cover it. My folks have one but I don't know if it covers firearm liability.

jomocon
10-28-2009, 08:31
I'm primarily interested in a liability policy. New Orleans is a very litigious city. My CCW instructor said 3 things will happens if you shoot someone You will be sued, You will be sued, You will be sued. I really need to check if my current liability policy covers it. I may need to get another one for husband & me.

sawgrass
10-28-2009, 09:25
Jomocon, I see that is your first post. Welcome to GT.

I have a call into my ins. agent, but she is on vacation for
a couple of weeks.

SG

jomocon
10-29-2009, 08:29
sawgrass, yes this is my first post, but I've been hanging around for a couple of months. As the proud owner of a Glock 26 ( now out for grip modifications) I'e found the entire group, especially this forum, especially helpful. The liability insurance questions has been bugging me since the instructor mentioned it in class. Right or wrong, folks here sue a lot. My sister was sued by someone who entered her fenced, locked yard to steal & her dog bit them. Her homeowners liability company settled for a few thousand just to make it go away, but then she got a surcharge for having a vicious dog.

sawgrass
10-29-2009, 20:42
My sister was sued by someone who entered her fenced, locked yard to steal & her dog bit them. Her homeowners liability company settled for a few thousand just to make it go away, but then she got a surcharge for having a vicious dog.

As my Granny would have said," Doesn't that beat a hen a rootin' "
Someone climed my fence and stole my outboard and trolling motor
last weekend. I guess I should be happy they didn't get hurt. :wow::steamed:

My insurance lady is checking on a one million dollar umbrella.
She has alway maintained that insurance for firearms at home is
cost prohibitive. She says put the money into a good safe.

My summer carry is a glock 26. I love it. I switch to a G19 for winter.
I like to shoot 1911's best of all, but am too short to carry one.

SG

SFCSMITH(RET)
11-03-2009, 12:30
My insurance lady is checking on a one million dollar umbrella.
She has alway maintained that insurance for firearms at home is
cost prohibitive. She says put the money into a good safe.

SG

If you are an NRA member, check their rates. My insurance guy sent me there. We have a 3 million liability umbrella, but for my firearms, he said NRA was the best deal. And a safe. Have both.