A good night to have a gun. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A good night to have a gun.

Silent_Runner
10-14-2009, 09:56
For years all I had for defense was a shotgun that I kept in a closet. I never thought anything more of it. When I met Lone_Wolfe and we got to be friends she started telling me I needed to carry a gun for self-defense. After a while I took some classes and got a gun and a permit in part to humor her. I carried for a few years without incident but started seeing more and more reason to continue to carry. Then about 2 years ago a man followed me out of the hospital where I work after a late shift. He followed me to the parking lot and I just knew he was up to no good. I made a couple of direction changes and he followed. Having learned situational awareness and all that stuff I didn't go to my car. When he moved closer to me he had a sneer on his face that still makes me cringe. I drew my gun and screamed at him. He tried out for the hundred yard dash in the other direction.

I called the police and the officer who responded told me there was someone fitting that description who had assaulted other women. I was calm when the officer was there but shaking. After he left I had an adrenalin dump and called Wolfe in her hotel at around 3AM. I thought she was at home and could come drive me home. Instead she was in Savannah so she talked to me until I was calm enough to drive myself.

Now I carry everywhere I can and make sure to get additional training occasionally.

drpdw
10-14-2009, 10:56
Silent Runner,
What a scare you had on that night...and how well you handled yourself! Kudos! A couple of months ago (Thread: My Glock 26 saved my bacon), I was followed by a couple of guys at night but only had to pull out Mr. G26 and they ran when when one of them (they had already split up) saw the always-on Crimson Trace Laser aimed at the ground, thank goodness. As you, I will always remember the look in one of those men's eyes...scary, indeed. You know, I still think that if those guys were GGs and not BGs, they would have simply said, "Hey lady, we mean no harm. Sorry we scared you!"...but, they ran. So, retrospecitively, even though a few on the forum chastised me for "brandishing" my weapon, or for having a purse carry, or for NOT having one in the chamber, many others said I handled the situation well and am still alive to retell the story,...as you are.

Take care! You are an inspiration to all of us (especially women) out there to carry safely and be aware.
-drpdw

dsw3131
10-14-2009, 12:34
+1 on what drpdw said. You handled a very scary situation well. Kudos. I bet he still shudders when he thinks of it.

sawgrass
10-14-2009, 13:38
Wow, I'm sure glad you were armed.
Wouldn't it be nice to know, if your actions not only saved you but others as well. How did the LEO respond to you having a legal carry gun?

Something else I think about, is being aware of my surroundings, and the
difference in suspecting trouble, and having time to react, as opposed
to being surprised.

I tend to believe that as a woman, and my life habits, I would likely have time to prepare, if I keep my awareness about me. I sure hope so.

Your awareness, and drpdw's awareness is what saved you.

I'm so pleased you are both ok. I have a very close friend who things
didn't turn out so well for. I'm glad women are taking steps to protect themselves.

Lone_Wolfe
10-15-2009, 08:49
+1 on what drpdw said. You handled a very scary situation well. Kudos. I bet he still shudders when he thinks of it.

Dsw, I still shudder too, when I remember that wee hours phone call. All the jokes in the other thread about my drunkenness aside, I sobered up real quick when I realized what she was saying to me. I also shudder when I think this could have easily happened before she started carrying.

Silent_Runner
10-16-2009, 09:51
drpdw I read about your encounter. I would have probably done the same thing you did. I am glad you escaped harm.

Wow, I'm sure glad you were armed.
Wouldn't it be nice to know, if your actions not only saved you but others as well. How did the LEO respond to you having a legal carry gun?

Something else I think about, is being aware of my surroundings, and the
difference in suspecting trouble, and having time to react, as opposed
to being surprised.

I tend to believe that as a woman, and my life habits, I would likely have time to prepare, if I keep my awareness about me. I sure hope so.

Your awareness, and drpdw's awareness is what saved you.

I'm so pleased you are both ok. I have a very close friend who things
didn't turn out so well for. I'm glad women are taking steps to protect themselves.

sawgrass when the officer showed up to take my report he suggested we sit in his car where it was warm. I hesitated and when he asked me what was wrong I told him that I was wearing a gun. He asked if it was in a holster and I said it was. He said that was a good place for it and it could stay there. As he was filling out his report he asked me what it was and I told him it was a Glock. He grunted and said that he hoped I had a round chambered. Nothing more was said.

I have no way to know if the man ever attacked anyone again as I never heard from the police about it. I also never argued with anyone who told me I shound carry a gun again. :embarassed:

Lone_Wolfe
10-18-2009, 14:32
....... I also never argued with anyone who told me I shound carry a gun again. :embarassed:

That's because I never had to tell you that again..... :whistling:

:tongueout:

drpdw
10-18-2009, 16:55
Thanks, SR,
I instinctively did what I felt was right...and, thankfully, the BGs ran toward their vehicle, parked alongside of mine, in an empty parking lot (BTW, without calling 911,...what does that tell us about their intentions, huh?)... and I was able to exit the scene safely. :notworthy:
-drpdw

Lone_Wolfe
10-19-2009, 14:39
... and I was able to exit the scene safely. ......
-drpdw

That right there is the whole criteria to decide whether you did it "right".

That applies to you, Silent_Runner, Miss Kitty, myself and any other among us who has ever been in that sort of situation.

SCmasterblaster
10-20-2009, 06:17
I am very happy that you escaped from the situation without having had to shoot the criminal. You are alive and well WITHOUT having to endure a nasty lawsuit or a malicious prosecution.

Silent_Runner
10-20-2009, 09:56
That's because I never had to tell you that again..... :whistling:

:tongueout:
That is quite enough out of you!:psycho::fist:

That right there is the whole criteria to decide whether you did it "right".

That applies to you, Silent_Runner, Miss Kitty, myself and any other among us who has ever been in that sort of situation.
Since you mentioned it why not tell of your encounter in 2006?

I am very happy that you escaped from the situation without having had to shoot the criminal. You are alive and well WITHOUT having to endure a nasty lawsuit or a malicious prosecution.
I am happy about that too. Thank you

BobInTX
10-20-2009, 11:03
drpdw
He asked if it was in a holster and I said it was. He said that was a good place for it and it could stay there. :embarassed:
SR, what kind of carry setup do you use? My wife is trying to figure out how she can carry, besides a purse.

Can you carry in the hospital? Unfortunately, the hospital my wife works in has a big old 30.06 sign (Texas for illegal to carry here) so she can't carry from work to her car. Your experience is why I hate that.

Silent_Runner
10-21-2009, 10:18
SR, what kind of carry setup do you use? My wife is trying to figure out how she can carry, besides a purse.

Can you carry in the hospital? Unfortunately, the hospital my wife works in has a big old 30.06 sign (Texas for illegal to carry here) so she can't carry from work to her car. Your experience is why I hate that.

BobInTx I carry using an in the waistband leather holster. I would never use a purse to garry a gun if there was any other way I could carry. The hospital I work in is not posted. I would have been SOL if it was as the man followed me from the door to the parking lot. I wish your wife all the best in a situation that would scare me very much now.

BobInTX
10-21-2009, 13:21
BobInTx I carry using an in the waistband leather holster. I would never use a purse to garry a gun if there was any other way I could carry. The hospital I work in is not posted. I would have been SOL if it was as the man followed me from the door to the parking lot. I wish your wife all the best in a situation that would scare me very much now.
Thanks for the info.

It does concern me now. Plus they just started a big construction project, which means she has to park in China if she drives. Right now we are car pooling because of the parking situation. I keep the car during the day. And guess what? I'm packin'. :quiet: I meet her outside though.

Thanks for posting your experience. Stuff like that is why I carry.

Silent_Runner
10-24-2009, 09:25
Thanks for the info.

It does concern me now. Plus they just started a big construction project, which means she has to park in China if she drives. Right now we are car pooling because of the parking situation. I keep the car during the day. And guess what? I'm packin'. :quiet: I meet her outside though.

Thanks for posting your experience. Stuff like that is why I carry.

That is a bad situation. But I see you are handling in very well. As long as you have her in sight when she leaves the building she should be OK. Good for you taking care of her.

Lone_Wolfe
11-03-2009, 04:55
That is quite enough out of you!:psycho::fist:

Since you mentioned it why not tell of your encounter in 2006?

Now there's a contradiction if I ever heard one.... :supergrin:

But I know the first was a joke so I'll spill my stories....

I suppose I could call and ask you which incident you’re referring to, but I’ll just go ahead and post both. Well, all 3 actually. It's a bit long......

Two incidents happened just a few minutes apart and I never even drew my gun either time. It was just knowing I had it that gave me the confidence to do what I did. I had to travel out of town for a week and I made the mistake of letting someone else book my hotel. To say I was in the wrong part of town would be an understatement. But I decided I would give the place a try since I had to pay for at least one night anyway. So I get settled in and decide I’m hungry. Now I hate to drive for just a short distance so I decide to walk to the nearest place to eat which was about a half-mile. When I start back to the hotel it was dark, although the area was well lit.

I was walking back and some guy in a Blazer pulls off the road right beside me. I turned and went around a dumpster to get away from him, and watched him from there. He pulled back on the road and did a U-turn as I resumed walking. He pulled into a parking lot I was coming up to so I did an about-face and walked back the way I came. I made sure it was obvious to anyone watching that I wanted to be away from the guy. He pulled back onto the road and did the same thing a few more times, even blocking my path twice, so one time I abruptly turned down a side street.

I went down a long block and then had to turn parallel to the main street. I went until I saw a street that went back to the main drag and turned onto it. Bad move, I was in the projects. I’m an average looking somewhat overweight white female who was in my mid 40’s at the time, so I stuck out like a sore thumb there. I realized my mistake and knew I was being watched so I decided the thing to do was keep going in the same direction. I knew if I turned around or did anything to look scared I would make myself even more vulnerable. I made eye contact and gave a polite nod to everyone I saw and was almost out of there when two tall young men came running up behind me, and called me by a wrong name. I turned around and said “Hi, I just heard you call me Keisha. I think you mistaked me for someone else. Yall have a good un”. (ebonics intentional) I turned around and walked away but got a glimpse of the surprise on their faces as I did. One of then threw something harmless against my back but I didn’t react. I made it back out to the main road without any more contact. :phew:

So once again I’m walking down the road toward my hotel and Mr. Stalker in a Blazer shows up. This times he pulls half off the road coming right up behind me. I’m pissed by now, so I just moved far enough away from the road that he couldn’t hit me. I was about 8 feet in front of and about 6 feet off the passenger side in a Stop & Rob parking lot. I stopped, turned toward him, crossed my arms and stood in a way meant to show that I was really angry and not afraid. (not true, but I didn’t want him to know that) There was enough of a breeze that I thought it would unconceal the gun I had on my side and I didn’t care if it did. The guy acted like he was going to get out of the Blazer, then he just looked puzzled, then he gave me the finger and drove away. I waited till he was a block or so away, then went in the Stop & Rob. I took my time finding a bottle of Coke and paying for it to see if he would come back. He did, but all he did was give me the finger without slowing down. I ducked into an alley the rest of the way to the hotel so he wouldn’t see where I was staying.

The other incident happened in another city at a hotel I’d stayed at a few times before. I always try to be on the top floor of a hotel, especially the ones with outside entrances. This reduces the “drunk knocks” in the middle of the night. This night I was sound asleep face-down on my rented king size. Around 230 AM someone started pounding my door hard and yelling “Open Up! OPEN THE **** UP!!” I grabbed the revolver I had on the nightstand and rolled off the bad away from the door. I stayed down behind the bed with the gun pointed at the door and this kept up for about a minute, then quit. I set the gun down, pulled on my robe, then pulled the bathroom door closed against my arm and turned the bathroom light on. I did that to give myself a bit of light but not to give off enough light that someone outside could see it. I was about to call the front desk when the pounding and yelling started back up even harder and louder.

I waited through about a minute or so of this behind the bed with gun in hand. Finally I walked to the door and positioned myself so that I wouldn’t be seen if the door was cracked open and I wouldn’t be hit if it was kicked open. I checked the back-up latch and opened the door against it. The pounding paused then restarted, so I put the barrel of the revolver just far enough into the opening that it could be seen but not grabbed. Not even pointed at the door pounder, just visible. Next thing I heard was running footsteps and then someone crashing down the stairwell.

I called the front desk and asked if the lady there knew what that was all about. She said some guy had been looking for his friend “Bill” a bit ago and had just run back into the lobby smelling like he’d crapped his pants. I told her he probably had and to call the police if that guy even went toward the stairwell again. I put the gun back on the nightstand and went back to bed.

sawgrass
11-03-2009, 08:19
Now there's a contradiction if I ever heard one.... :supergrin:

I got that.:rofl::rofl: Now, she's going to talk to you about context.

LW, sounds like you handled yourself very well. I would have been very scared in the walking incident. I don't know if I would have handled the blazer guy as well as you did. I was a pedestrian who was hit by a car several years ago. It took over year to heal.

The guy looking for "Bill", is lucky you stopped that nonsense w/o any real incidence.

Two incidents happened just a few minutes apart and I never even drew my gun either time. It was just knowing I had it that gave me the confidence to do what I did.

I understand what you mean. Hiking and being in the woods is where I feel my very best. A couple of years ago, I was visiting my sister in NC.
We hiked a trail, and two weeks later a guys head was found on that trail.
He and his wife had been missing for several months. That is when I decided to carry. Not doing things like walking to a resturant, or going for a hike because I'm afraid just isn't an option.

Wolfe, this is another indication of the strength inside of you. Reach in, pull it out, and use it now. You are the same person.

SG

Silent_Runner
11-04-2009, 08:37
Sawgress I agree with your last comment. I have been telling her the same thing lately.

Wolfe glad you posted about this. Hopefully all of our experiences will help others if they have similar encounters.

Lone_Wolfe
11-09-2009, 15:35
I got that.:rofl::rofl: Now, she's going to talk to you about context.

LW, sounds like you handled yourself very well. I would have been very scared in the walking incident. I don't know if I would have handled the blazer guy as well as you did. I was a pedestrian who was hit by a car several years ago. It took over year to heal.

The guy looking for "Bill", is lucky you stopped that nonsense w/o any real incidence.

I understand what you mean. Hiking and being in the woods is where I feel my very best. A couple of years ago, I was visiting my sister in NC.
We hiked a trail, and two weeks later a guys head was found on that trail.
He and his wife had been missing for several months. That is when I decided to carry. Not doing things like walking to a resturant, or going for a hike because I'm afraid just isn't an option.

Wolfe, this is another indication of the strength inside of you. Reach in, pull it out, and use it now. You are the same person.

SG

The problem with her talking context with me is that she’ll probably do it with either a S&W or a Louisville Slugger in her hand. :scared:

I like to hike myself and once drew down on a growling dog while going down a dirt road at dark-30. An emphatic “Move along, mutt!” was enough, but Mr.’s Smith & Wesson were ready in case it wasn’t.

I was as scared as you would have been, trust me. And you would have stepped far enough off to the side so blazer guy couldn’t have hit you just like I did. You would have been fine, you’re tougher than I am.

You know I told a few people about how I got rid of the door basher and had them all tell me I handled it wrong. :upeyes: I heard everything from I should have called the police and waited, to I should have yelled through the door, to I should have opened the door all the way and held him at gunpoint. Calling the law would have been fine if I wanted him to bash my door for 20 minutes and possible get in. Yelling would have been fine if I really wanted the dude to know the room occupant was a lone female. Opening the door would have been fine if I wanted to have some dude in arms reach and possible able to relieve me of my gun. I preferred just to show possession without revealing myself. I’ll bet that 44 caliber hole looked even bigger to him.

I’m looking for that strength.

sawgrass
11-09-2009, 22:38
The problem with her talking context with me is that she’ll probably do it with either a S&W or a Louisville Slugger in her hand. :scared:

I like to hike myself and once drew down on a growling dog while going down a dirt road at dark-30. An emphatic “Move along, mutt!” was enough, but Mr.’s Smith & Wesson were ready in case it wasn’t.

I was as scared as you would have been, trust me. And you would have stepped far enough off to the side so blazer guy couldn’t have hit you just like I did. You would have been fine, you’re tougher than I am.

You know I told a few people about how I got rid of the door basher and had them all tell me I handled it wrong. :upeyes: I heard everything from I should have called the police and waited, to I should have yelled through the door, to I should have opened the door all the way and held him at gunpoint. Calling the law would have been fine if I wanted him to bash my door for 20 minutes and possible get in. Yelling would have been fine if I really wanted the dude to know the room occupant was a lone female. Opening the door would have been fine if I wanted to have some dude in arms reach and possible able to relieve me of my gun. I preferred just to show possession without revealing myself. I’ll bet that 44 caliber hole looked even bigger to him.

I’m looking for that strength. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

LW, I think you handled the door basher just fine. Sometimes there are too many rules. There are just times when you follow your gut.

As far as SR, and the bat and other means of destruction, I think as long
as you come home in mostly one piece, breathing on your own, without any self inflicted injury, you will be just fine. Otherwise my $ is on the nurse.

Keep looking, it seems like you are closer and closer to finding what you need. I think you get to a point where others can lend support, but the job is up to you. LW, you have lots of support. I would like to sit around
with a beer and talk dreams with you someday.

SG

sawgrass
11-09-2009, 22:42
You would have been fine, you’re tougher than I am.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Silent_Runner
11-10-2009, 07:56
LW, I think you handled the door basher just fine. Sometimes there are too many rules. There are just times when you follow your gut.

As far as SR, and the bat and other means of destruction, I think as long
as you come home in mostly one piece, breathing on your own, without any self inflicted injury, you will be just fine. Otherwise my $ is on the nurse.

Keep looking, it seems like you are closer and closer to finding what you need. I think you get to a point where others can lend support, but the job is up to you. LW, you have lots of support. I would like to sit around
with a beer and talk dreams with you someday.

SG

sawgrass I agree with you on how well she handled that man trying to pound in her door. We have gotten some good laughs about that incident since then. If only there had been a way to videotape it.:rofl:

I also like the way she dealt with the stalker in the Blazer. I'm not so sure I would have had the guts to just stare him down like she did even with my gun close at hand. But then people do gutsy things when they are as angry as she was at him and she did position herself where he could not readlily get to her..

You are making the right choice to bet on me if she does anything stupid. I'm sure you saw it posted in her thread what I would do to her.:psycho: I might even give you the opportunity to come help.:whistling:

WomanWithAGun
11-10-2009, 20:21
Wow, you handled that very well--kudos to you!

Lone_Wolfe
11-11-2009, 11:23

I'm assuming you were directing that to Silent_Runner since she's the OP, but welcome to GT, WomanWithAGun! :wavey:

Pull up a chair and don't be a stranger. :cool:

fsqridah
11-13-2009, 01:03
All of these situations were handled extremely well. Being a very secure 23-year old male, I can safely say that women who are able to think clearly under the utmost stress tend to handle situations like these better than the men. Us guys love to act macho and sometimes end up picking a fight rather than avoiding it. But, it's also safe to say that although the antis think us gun carriers are bad people looking for controversy, we're more apt to handle dangerous situations with much more tact and avoid conflict at all costs.

Props to all of you. Lone-Wolfe, congrats for having the decency to keep your middle finger out of the picture when the guy in the Blazer flipped you off. There's nothing I hate more than people random flipping other people off because they got their panties in a wad for something stupid, and this is no exception. I have plenty of angry drivers give me the finger for stopping for a red light instead of plowing through it so they can follow and make it to their dead-end s*** job a minute earlier, and it pisses me off something fierce. I used to give them the finger right back, but since I've started carrying, I do my best to let it go. The last thing I want is for them to get out of their car with a baseball bat like a complete idiot and end up getting blasted through my window when all they did was try and scare me because they're pathetic and insecure.

My g/f just took her CCW class this past Sunday, and I can only hope she's able to keep her head cool if she's ever carrying and presented with a dangerous situation like you all have described. As compassionate as I am, she still puts me to shame with her Good Samaritan tactics, and hopefully she'll keep that attitude when she decides to carry. That, of course, assumes that she's still willing to ventilate somebody if needed.

Anyway, keep the stories coming! I think all women should carry a gun as they're targeted much more than the guys, and also less physically able to fend off an attacker. But that's just me. :supergrin:

SCmasterblaster
11-13-2009, 05:46
All of these situations were handled extremely well. Being a very secure 23-year old male, I can safely say that women who are able to think clearly under the utmost stress tend to handle situations like these better than the men. Us guys love to act macho and sometimes end up picking a fight rather than avoiding it. But, it's also safe to say that although the antis think us gun carriers are bad people looking for controversy, we're more apt to handle dangerous situations with much more tact and avoid conflict at all costs.

Props to all of you. Lone-Wolfe, congrats for having the decency to keep your middle finger out of the picture when the guy in the Blazer flipped you off. There's nothing I hate more than people random flipping other people off because they got their panties in a wad for something stupid, and this is no exception. I have plenty of angry drivers give me the finger for stopping for a red light instead of plowing through it so they can follow and make it to their dead-end s*** job a minute earlier, and it pisses me off something fierce. I used to give them the finger right back, but since I've started carrying, I do my best to let it go. The last thing I want is for them to get out of their car with a baseball bat like a complete idiot and end up getting blasted through my window when all they did was try and scare me because they're pathetic and insecure.

My g/f just took her CCW class this past Sunday, and I can only hope she's able to keep her head cool if she's ever carrying and presented with a dangerous situation like you all have described. As compassionate as I am, she still puts me to shame with her Good Samaritan tactics, and hopefully she'll keep that attitude when she decides to carry. That, of course, assumes that she's still willing to ventilate somebody if needed.

Anyway, keep the stories coming! I think all women should carry a gun as they're targeted much more than the guys, and also less physically able to fend off an attacker. But that's just me. :supergrin:

It would be beyond an honor to actually MEET a man a bit younger that my lost son who actually admires firearms, especially handguns, and actually CCWs! May God give you a lot of His grace and courage as you live your life in Lexington (MA, KY?). :supergrin:

Lone_Wolfe
11-13-2009, 06:59
All of these situations were handled extremely well. ...........Props to all of you. Lone-Wolfe, congrats for having the decency to keep your middle finger out of the picture when the guy in the Blazer flipped you off.

Thanks for the kind words, fsgridah. Yes, I'll agree that Silent_Runner handled her situation extremely well. But she's probably sick of hearing me say that. :whistling:

It was all I could do to keep from returning that one-finger salute. I had deliberately posed myself in a way to convey my anger, and show confidence I didn't really feel, but hide the fear I had and moving to return the bird would have been counter-productive. Plus any witnesses would have seen that and I didn't want that.

I agree about women carrying and hope your GF is never tested.

DaveCharlie09
11-13-2009, 09:07
Women should be trained on firearms starting in grade school. They should then, at age 18, be issued a firearm to defend themselves. If every girl carried, there would be alot less rapes and abuse.

Silent_Runner
11-13-2009, 10:35

Thank you and welcome WomanWithAGun! :wavey:

All of these situations were handled extremely well. Being a very secure 23-year old male, I can safely say that women who are able to think clearly under the utmost stress tend to handle situations like these better than the men.

Props to all of you. Lone-Wolfe, congrats for having the decency to keep your middle finger out of the picture

fsqridah I agree with you up to a point. A friend of mine told me the reason we sometimes handle these situations well is that we allow ourselves to listen to the hairs standing up on our necks. In my encounter I had men afterward ask me how I knew the man meant me. I was never sure just how I knew until I was talking to Wolfe one day. She said that when we listen to our instincts or gut feelings they are rarely wrong and that sometimes men ignore things like that.

I can assure you she wanted to do a lot worse than return her stalker's middle finger!:whistling::rofl:

I do agree with you about women getting training and carrying if they have the mindset necessray.
Thanks for the kind words, fsgridah. Yes, I'll agree that Silent_Runner handled her situation extremely well. But she's probably sick of hearing me say that. :whistling:

It was all I could do to keep from returning that one-finger salute. I had deliberately posed myself in a way to convey my anger, and show confidence I didn't really feel, but hide the fear I had and moving to return the bird would have been counter-productive. Plus any witnesses would have seen that and I didn't want that.

owl6roll
11-13-2009, 17:16
Today I took my 20 year old daughter to get her pistol license,and look at a few handguns. The first few she looked at were Glocks, but she didn't like them (she been raised around GLOCKS all her life). She picked a S&W 642LG. Very nice little revolver. Since daddy is paying for it, might as well go with the laser grip.

All that matters is that she likes it. I very proud of my little girl.

Lone_Wolfe
11-13-2009, 17:28
owl6roll, good on you for buying her a gun if you think she'll handle it responsibly. Please encourage her to get trained and experienced with it.

IMHO she made a good choice. :thumbsup:

sawgrass
11-13-2009, 20:43
My daughter's first gun.
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #8c735a; COLOR: #8c735a" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Today I took my 20 year old daughter to get her pistol license,and look at a few handguns. The first few she looked at were Glocks, but she didn't like them (she been raised around GLOCKS all her life). She picked a S&W 642LG. Very nice little revolver. Since daddy is paying for it, might as well go with the laser grip.

All that matters is that she likes it. I very proud of my little girl.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Congrats!! I hope your daughter is happy with her choice. I'm curious if
she is inclined to share her thoughts on why she wanted a revolver, and
why she wanted the SW642. I'm very familiar with this revolver and I'm very familiar with Glocks. My friend and local dealer tries to sale this gun
to every woman who comes in. Happy Shooting.
Thanks.
SG

sawgrass
11-13-2009, 20:49
Wolfe, probably shouldn't put this here. I remember you explaining
Dillon presses in one of these womens threads. Do you have an opinion
about a particular model for pistol, mostly 9mm and .45ACP?
I'm thinking about a 550B. Thanks.
SG

fsqridah
11-13-2009, 20:56
It would be beyond an honor to actually MEET a man a bit younger that my lost son who actually admires firearms, especially handguns, and actually CCWs! May God give you a lot of His grace and courage as you live your life in Lexington (MA, KY?). :supergrin:

Kentucky. If you want to meet a bunch of people that carry, come to Lex. There are plenty of us around here. Thanks for the blessings.

I still occasionally give people the finger back. There are times when I have to have the last word in, although I'm working very hard and letting stuff go and walk away. When I carry, I definitely put my game face on and understand that as a CCWer, I will always be held to higher standards than the rest, and that's okay with me. With great priviledge comes great responsibility.

fsqridah I agree with you up to a point. A friend of mine told me the reason we sometimes handle these situations well is that we allow ourselves to listen to the hairs standing up on our necks. In my encounter I had men afterward ask me how I knew the man meant me. I was never sure just how I knew until I was talking to Wolfe one day. She said that when we listen to our instincts or gut feelings they are rarely wrong and that sometimes men ignore things like that.

I can assure you she wanted to do a lot worse than return her stalker's middle finger!:whistling::rofl:

I do agree with you about women getting training and carrying if they have the mindset necessray.

Although women are generally irrational compared to men, when it comes to really important stuff that involves human lives, women tend to put things into much more perspective. The lack of testosterone keeps the danger anger out of the picture, thus the women stay level headed. That is, of course, barring the type that go waving their arms in the air and screaming, "Oh s***, we're gonna DIE!!!"

Another part of it is that women tend to be softer and more compassionate than men. When considering consequences, they look at family, significant others, children, friends, careers, etc. The men just see someone who pissed them off and they want revenge. Guess they have to make up for their tiny *****es somehow.

Lone_Wolfe
11-14-2009, 01:22
Wolfe, probably shouldn't put this here. I remember you explaining Dillon presses in one of these womens threads. Do you have an opinion about a particular model for pistol, mostly 9mm and .45ACP?
I'm thinking about a 550B. Thanks.
SG

I don't mind you putting it here, doubt Silent_Runner will either. Although she might now that I said that..... :tongueout: :couch:

IMHO Dillon makes the best press out there. The 550 is the lowest priced model that can do both pistol and rifle calibers and also used standard dies. I used to have and like the Square Deal, but it uses proprietary dies and is limited to straight-walled pistol calibers. I. E. no 357Sig. My experience with Dillon was excellent. I bought a 550 off ebay that had broken and missing parts and they sent me everything I needed to get it up and running for free. They didn't care where I got it.

Do yourself a favor and get a few extra toolheads so you can leave your dies all set at the heights you need and just change toolheads when you change caliber. Makes changeovers go sooooooooo much quicker and easier.

owl6roll
11-14-2009, 18:00
I'm sorry, I didnt mean to higjack! Please remove what I said about my daughter.

Sorry!

sawgrass
11-15-2009, 08:03
SR I'm not trying to hijack your thread either.

Wolfe thanks for your response. I really appreciate the
tip about extra toolheads.

FWIW, Wrench and I are taking a new female shooter out
today. She has a PTP which is about to expire. This thread
and others like it are instrumental in helping women make
good choices. Thanks all.
SG

Lone_Wolfe
11-15-2009, 08:59
SR I'm not trying to hijack your thread either.

Wolfe thanks for your response. I really appreciate the
tip about extra toolheads.

FWIW, Wrench and I are taking a new female shooter out
today. She has a PTP which is about to expire. This thread
and others like it are instrumental in helping women make
good choices. Thanks all.
SG

I agree with you and that's why I answered in here, besides we women should be willing to help each other. If you have any more questions about reloading presses I'll try to help. You may want to start a new thread for that thought.

But I don't think S_R will do anything to you for hijacking her thread.

Now me on the other hand....... Oh what the hell, I'm already in trouble with her. :scared:

Tell Wrench to come around and say Hi sometime!

Silent_Runner
11-16-2009, 07:48
I agree with you and that's why I answered in here, besides we women should be willing to help each other. If you have any more questions about reloading presses I'll try to help. You may want to start a new thread for that thought.

But I don't think S_R will do anything to you for hijacking her thread.

Now me on the other hand....... Oh what the hell, I'm already in trouble with her. :scared:

Tell Wrench to come around and say Hi sometime!

sawgrass you did nothing wrong posting here as it fit the topic. I have no issue with you at all.:wavey:
Now Wolfe on the other hand you are in trouble.:whip:

sawgrass
11-19-2009, 09:59
Thanks SR. I don't think I would want to be in trouble with you. :wavey:

The press info is most appreciated. I don't want to start a thread.
I'm not intrested in that many opinions. Mostly just wanted Wolfe's.

Range day with the new female shooter was great. We brought 20 pistols.
She has longer fingers than Wrench or me. Turned out she really liked
the Sig 226, the SW Chiefs Special, and a Beretta 92 Type M.
It was great to watch her start a little nervous with a .22, and by the end of the two hours watching her shoot a Colt Defender 45ACP, with a big
smile on her face.

After the range with cake and coffee we showed her this sub-forum, GT, and The Cornered Cat.

Girls, do know how to have fun!!
SG

Lone_Wolfe
11-19-2009, 13:24
sawgrass you did nothing wrong posting here as it fit the topic. I have no issue with you at all.:wavey:
Now Wolfe on the other hand you are in trouble.:whip:

Lately I think I STAY in trouble with you. :wow:

Thanks SR. I don't think I would want to be in trouble with you. :wavey:

The press info is most appreciated. I don't want to start a thread.
I'm not intrested in that many opinions. Mostly just wanted Wolfe's.

Range day with the new female shooter was great. We brought 20 pistols.
She has longer fingers than Wrench or me. Turned out she really liked
the Sig 226, the SW Chiefs Special, and a Beretta 92 Type M.
It was great to watch her start a little nervous with a .22, and by the end of the two hours watching her shoot a Colt Defender 45ACP, with a big
smile on her face.

After the range with cake and coffee we showed her this sub-forum, GT, and The Cornered Cat.

Girls, do know how to have fun!!
SG

sawgrass, I told you she was a *****cat. I'm the only she'll hurt. You don't have to worry about her at all. :whistling:

Only wanted my opinion? What, are you trying to give me a swelled head or something? Trying to counter the shrinks here or something?

Glad your day with the newbie went well. I used to enjoy teaching new shooters. Tell her to sign up here and come say Hi. Maybe Silent_Runner will post pics of her gun collection.

sawgrass
11-19-2009, 21:24
Maybe Silent_Runner will post pics of her gun collection.

Sounds good to me!!:supergrin:

Lone_Wolfe
11-20-2009, 00:24
Hey why don't you start a gun porn thread in here?

sawgrass
11-20-2009, 04:48
That sounds like fun! I like gun pictures.:supergrin:
I'll start...see thread.

Lone_Wolfe
12-01-2009, 02:20
I wonder if any other women reading this thread would be willing to post thier self-defense stories?

ArmyCop
12-01-2009, 12:44
I was SO GLAD to read where you were armed and able to defend yourself in this situation. Our current "prez" and his followers would have you unarmed and defenseless.

Silent_Runner
12-02-2009, 08:51
I wonder if any other women reading this thread would be willing to post thier self-defense stories?
I would like to see more stories posted here too.

I was SO GLAD to read where you were armed and able to defend yourself in this situation. Our current "prez" and his followers would have you unarmed and defenseless.
You are not the only one glad of that. I was lucky it never happened before I started carrying a gun.

Lone_Wolfe
05-05-2010, 15:07
I want to :bump: Silent_Runner's story to the top here. I think it's a good lesson for the ladies that pass through here.

unit1069
05-06-2010, 21:44
First time visitor to this section and not intending to intrude on the women's site but I do want to make a comment.

My daughter is fourteen and I decided to teach her how to drive last summer, before she was old enough to actually get a license. The very first thing I told her is to be aware of her surroundings and have the car keys in her hand before she's at the door. And to always be on the lookout for any suspicious person lurking nearby or hanging around the vehicle.

After stressing the point during our impromptu sessions it dawned on me that she should also learn how to defend herself with a firearm just in case she's ever threatened with her life. Now she's got a good start with a Ruger Mark II .22lr and has shown she can handle 9mm, although it's still a bit too much for her right now.

I think most women would take very quickly to relying on firearms for self-defense, for the same reason most men do. I don't want to become a victim and I don't want to have to rely on law enforcement for protection when they are likely far away from the scene. I certainly don't want my daughter to be in a vulnerable situation without recourse to protection.

sawgrass
05-07-2010, 08:07
^^^^^^^good post, smart Dad^^^^^^^^^

I don't have children, but I can't think of anything worse than having
your child be a victim.

I was taught to shoot a .22 when I was around 9.
It simply removed any doubt regarding personal defense.

MKEgal
05-20-2010, 22:09
I wonder if any other women reading this thread would be willing to post their self-defense stories?

This was a long time before I bought a gun, back when I was in my 20s & still invincible. Not long out of undergrad, where I'd taken karate for PE credit & continued it in an intramural club for 3 years (it's fun and great exercise).

I'd stood in the wedding of 2 friends that morning, and since I lived all of 3 blocks from them I parked at home and walked to their house for the reception. I was still wearing a skirt & sandals & didn't look all that dangerous... :whistling:

As I was nearing their house, on a fairly busy 2-lane city road, a petite woman came running out of a house, crossed the road without looking for traffic, and headed for the corner market. She might have come up to my shoulder & was thin. (I'm 5'10".)

Behind her came a tall, fat, man (well, a male... I wouldn't call him a man) who was enraged, shouting the most vile things at her that amounted to "when I catch you you're dead you female dog!" He, too, crossed the street (though he unfortunately looked for traffic) and headed for the corner mart.

He's bigger than me, and mad, so what do I do? I took off after the pair of them, intent on interrupting his intended pummeling of her.

She made it into the store, so he quit chasing her & turned to go home.
He stopped chasing her, so I stopped chasing him.
Now I'm between him & home, & he's not happy. I'm his new target.
I saw him start that bully swagger, and the sneer, and when he got within talking distance he said "what are you, the effing neighborhood watch?" (He didn't really say 'effing', but I'm not going to use the real word, and the system won't even let me use the first letter + *** + ing.)

Now at this point I'm thinking that I'm dead. I'm mush. Little pile of goo by the side of the road, and to top it off I don't have any ID on me so the police can't contact my parents. He'd be hurt, too, but I'm definitely dead. :faint:
But if I show that fear, he'd know he won & he really would kill me.

So I stood there, shoulders back & squared, chin up, relaxed but ready to fight, looking him in the eye, face deadpan, and said "no." That's all, just "no". No particular emphasis, just answering his question.

Then a great thing happened... he didn't know what to do! :rofl:
He was so used to women being afraid of him and being able to bully them that he was completely lost by someone not all that much shorter than him, obviously female, but not in the least scared (or so he thought). I could feel the confusion rolling off him.

As he passed me on the sidewalk, he hit my shoulder with his, and I turned with it so that he couldn't hit me from behind. He didn't say or do anything else, though he did look back once. When he'd crossed the street, I went to the store to check on the woman. She was shaken, but uninjured. I urged her to call police and leave that house, but knew she had to decide for herself.

Then I went on to my friends' house, requested a glass of wine as I was coming in the door, drained it, asked for another, and sat down to tell them why I was shaking.

Oh, by the way... hi, I'm new here. :embarassed:

Krysta
G17
(which is nothing like NC17)

BobInTX
05-20-2010, 22:34
I'm not a woman, but welcome to GT.

17119jfkioe
05-20-2010, 22:40
Im so glad to hear you didn't become a victim of another perverted, psycho criminal. Good for you!!!! Its important not to live your life in fear. However you need to be prepared for whatever life can throw at you. Im glad you are ok. Be alert and stay safe!

Lone_Wolfe
07-03-2010, 12:32
Then a great thing happened... he didn't know what to do! :rofl:

Oh, by the way... hi, I'm new here. :embarassed:

Krysta
G17
(which is nothing like NC17)

:wavey: and :welcome: Krysta!

I like the way you handled yourself there, that guy was lost when he couldn't intimidate you. :rofl:

A little like my story earlier in this thread where those 2 young men from the projects stopped and I blew them off while staying polite to them. I think they were so caught off guard by the fact that I showed neither fear nor disdain toward them because they expected a completely different reaction.

GreyEclipse
07-03-2010, 16:16
Nice stories, gals. Stay armed.
You are the light and inspiration in a world of darkness. :thumbsup: