Suggestions for Defense Shotgun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Defense Shotgun

J-DUBYA
10-21-2009, 13:03
I've decided that my next purchase/project is going to be a combat/defense shotgun. I'm leaning towards a Remington 870 as the foundation. My planned upgrades are:

1. AR-style multiposition stock
2. Pistol gripped fore stock
3. Extended magazine tube
4. Red-dpt sight or ghost ring rear sight coupled with luminjous front sight

I really don't know much if anything about shotguns. I'm open to any suggestions as to where I should acquire these things. If anyone thinks I'm leaving something important out or should not use one of the items I have listed, please let me know. All comments and advice is appreciated.

glock2619
10-21-2009, 13:26
Just buy the 870 and shoot the daylights out of it. Add what you'd like later. I'm also a fan of a smooth bore rifle sighted barrel if you've got to have sights. Nothing against ghost rings. You can add night sights to the factory rifle sights. If you wanted to keep it simple, just add a tritium dot onto a factory bead sight.

FOR ME, the stock furniture works pretty well. Doesn't mean that a pistol grip stock wouldn't work well for others. I'm just not a fan. I definitely don't like the feel of the pistol grip forends. But again, that's just me.

If you're buying new, just get a HD model with the 6+1 capacity. The factory extended tubes work pretty well. But, if you end up buying an extended tube, there are many that work well. I've had good luck with the Tac-star, Choate, Wilson, and factory.

If you find a good deal on an old neglected field model express, you can just buy an 18" barrel and extended tube. Then, you'd have something adequate for HD as well as shooting clays etc.

Just a few thoughts. It's personal preference on most of these things. Whatever works the best FOR YOU is the way to go. Buy the gun and go shooting. You'll figure out what you need.

LarryD1130
10-21-2009, 13:27
I thinking of getting a tactical shotgun as well. I'm probably gonna get a Mossberg 590a1(9rd) with ghost ring sights and a speed feed stock.

KinderGlocken
10-21-2009, 13:28
plain jane 870, forget the pistol grips but the extended tube is nice.

orton89
10-21-2009, 13:38
get a real mans gun....Mossberg 590....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^no point intended by the way

J-DUBYA
10-21-2009, 13:40
Thanks for the replies. The reason I'm leaning towards the pistol grips is because when I get my tax returns back this year, I plan on buying an AK. I figured my guns should all have a similar feel to them. I know that sounds kind of trivial and odd, but I'm just kinda weird like that. Also, I've handled a Mossberg 590 at Cabellas with almost this exact set up and thought it felt pretty good. I would have bought that gun but I just don't like where the safety is positioned on Mossbergs, I would have to take my hand off of the grip to dissengage the safety.

ZRT650
10-21-2009, 13:52
870 ( if i were to do it over again i would have purchased a police version b/c its parkerized), surefire forend, wilson mag extension, mesa leo recoil reducing stock and mesa side-saddle. Thats basically the best pump combat shotgun one can build.

J-DUBYA
10-21-2009, 13:58
870 ( if i were to do it over again i would have purchased a police version b/c its parkerized), surefire forend, wilson mag extension, mesa leo recoil reducing stock and mesa side-saddle. Thats basically the best pump combat shotgun one can build.

Right on, thanks. Is there a website that I can find the mesa accessories? I've never heard of this brand.

Puppy
10-21-2009, 14:20
I thinking of getting a tactical shotgun as well. I'm probably gonna get a Mossberg 590a1(9rd) with ghost ring sights and a speed feed stock.

Add a weapon light & this is my favorite HD shotgun configuration, I like mine better than all of my other shotguns.

mesteve2
10-21-2009, 14:25

Listen!
:fred::fred::fred::fred::fred:

therealtwitch
10-21-2009, 14:34
I have both a choate pistol grip foregrip and pistol grip. fired the gun a few times with it. but it wasn't for me. if your intrested pm me I'll sell them to ya cheap.

PVolk
10-21-2009, 15:20
Benelli M1.

If you look hard enough, you can find a pre-ban model with factory ghost rings, pistol grip, and a 7+1 capacity. I'm not sure about the stock, but I believe it may be interchangable. Regardless, it's a very fine shotgun and very much fun to shoot.

Evela
10-21-2009, 18:47
I own a Mossberg 410 HS (home security), holds 9 shells #4 buck. In addition to being quite effective, holding lots of rounds, it is light and very fast, std 18 inch. Front pistol grip and built in spreader standard.

Best of all anyone - wife, kids - can use it.

volsbear
10-21-2009, 18:50
I have to think that a 12 gauage pump with a pistol grip would be REALLY uncomfortable to shoot.

LarryD1130
10-21-2009, 20:03
Thanks for the replies. The reason I'm leaning towards the pistol grips is because when I get my tax returns back this year, I plan on buying an AK. I figured my guns should all have a similar feel to them. I know that sounds kind of trivial and odd, but I'm just kinda weird like that. Also, I've handled a Mossberg 590 at Cabellas with almost this exact set up and thought it felt pretty good. I would have bought that gun but I just don't like where the safety is positioned on Mossbergs, I would have to take my hand off of the grip to dissengage the safety.

That's because they are set up for use with a stock not a pistol grip.

Boxerglocker
10-21-2009, 20:47
I've decided that my next purchase/project is going to be a combat/defense shotgun. I'm leaning towards a Remington 870 as the foundation. My planned upgrades are:

I really don't know much if anything about shotguns. I'm open to any suggestions as to where I should acquire these things. If anyone thinks I'm leaving something important out or should not use one of the items I have listed, please let me know. All comments and advice is appreciated.

Cabelas has on SALE the Remington 870 Tactical for $369 I believe. $100 off plus $30 rebate. Comes with everything you listed (No red-dot but GS sights) minus the stock, but the barrel is threaded for chokes and comes with a breacher choke. Add a Blackhawk/knoxx stock and your done.

mixflip
10-22-2009, 00:50
I have a Maverick 88 (aka the cheap 500) just because I like the fire controls better. I dont like the spring loaded elevator shelf on the Remington. It bites my fingers sometimes when loading. Also the slide release feels goofy since its placed in front of the trigger guard on the Remington which forces the shooter to release and move his shooting grip. The Mossberg's is behind the trigger guard and more natural to activate with my middle finger when gripping the gun.

I am thinking about a tactical auto loader right now. The Mossberg 930 SPX. Voted 2009 Shotgun of the year. Its got ghost ring sights and an AR style hood up front. NICE! And cheaper than a Benelli or FNH auto loader.

Here is mine. Plain Jane ready for defense.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/102_0209-1.jpg

Restless28
10-22-2009, 04:25
I have a Mossberg 500 just because I like the fire controls better. I dont like the spring loaded elevator shelf on the Remington. It bites my fingers sometimes when loading. Also the slide release feels goofy since its placed in front of the trigger guard on the Remington which forces the shooter to release and move his shooting grip. The Mossberg's is behind the trigger guard and more natural to activate with my middle finger when gripping the gun.

I am thinking about a tactical auto loader right now. The Mossberg 930 SPX. Voted 2009 Shotgun of the year. Its got ghost ring sights and an AR style hood up front. NICE! And cheaper than a Benelli or FNH auto loader.

Here is mine. Plain Jane ready for defense.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/102_0209-1.jpg

I like your 500, but, haven't there been issues with the 930?

I looked at the 930 and the Remington Tactical 1100 before I got on the black rifle kick. I hear so many bad things about semi-autos as compared to pumps. :dunno:

Regular Joe
10-22-2009, 05:59
It is just plain DUMB to buy a shotgun that can't retrofit with the Knoxx recoil absorbing stock. If not for that, I just plain could not fire more than about 5 of the 3" magnum loads that make a 12 ga. worth having. As it is, I have the 870 with the Knoxx stock, and 3" magnum is my standard, with slugs or buck.
Why would anyone in his right mind build a defensive weapons system on a gun that will beat him to death?

marlinfan
10-22-2009, 08:22
If not for that, I just plain could not fire more than about 5 of the 3" magnum loads that make a 12 ga. worth having. 2 3/4" loads are fine for self defense and most hunting. The only time I feel undergunned without 3" magnums is duck hunting. My duck gun don't have a knoxx stock and it runs all day long with 3" loads.

BigNic
10-22-2009, 09:18

1. Knoxx is a fine choice, there are others. ATI is low quality, but it does work.
2. A pistol grip on the fore end is something I avoid, as I have read they can over torque.
3. I prefer to have a factory magazine that holds 7-8, instead of adding an aftermarket extension.
4. Sights are personal, get what you want. I like a plain bead on a short barrel for HD.

In my opinion, a mounted light is essential on an HD shotty.

mixflip
10-22-2009, 16:00
Why would anyone in his right mind build a defensive weapons system on a gun that will beat him to death?

I think its because a defensive gun isnt usually required to be shot over and over again like you would all day at the range or all day duck hunting.

Its designed to stop a threat. Thats why many people dont mind subcompact handguns that are notoriously snappy in the wrist or snub nose revolvers...Yeah they dont feel comfortable, but they are not used all day long..they just do their job and then they are put away.

Aceman
10-22-2009, 16:24
It is just plain DUMB to buy a shotgun that can't retrofit with the Knoxx recoil absorbing stock. If not for that, I just plain could not fire more than about 5 of the 3" magnum loads that make a 12 ga. worth having. As it is, I have the 870 with the Knoxx stock, and 3" magnum is my standard, with slugs or buck.

why is it that a 12g is only worth having if it is full of 3" magnums?

FARSON
11-02-2009, 04:47
"tactical" and "home defense" are not necessarily interchangeable terms.. for a home defense shotgun, a pistol grip just on trigger end, bead front sight, and forget the other crap- you can shoot from the hip, literally, any loads all day no prob.. I like mine for bear country too..
for a tactical, you want rifle sights for slugs, and forget the front pistol grip, your support hand is going to be at the back of the fore stock when you shoot..

J-DUBYA
02-11-2010, 22:25
Thanks for all of the info. Sorry for the late reply to all of you, I got busy with a 7 day a week, 12 hours a day schedule through all of December and the first couple of weeks of January. The money I had set aside for this project ended up going toward a Walther PPS 9mm and Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec. As for the shotgun, I'm leaning toward a Mossberg. The plan is to just shoot it and decide what I feel comfortable adding to it as I go. Once again, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, I appreciate the advice.

Spen84107
02-12-2010, 00:13
My Dad, Brother, and I bought shotguns all about the sametime. I went with the 870, my dad went with a pistol-grip moss. (I think the 500, not sure, though). He tells me he wishes he would have got the 870. My opinion? I really don't think it matters.. both will likely shoot when you pull the trigger in an HD situation. A local gun dealer told me the primary difference is the guide-rails that prevent play in the pump-action of the 870. Play or no play.. they both still pump!

mixflip
02-12-2010, 11:38
I think the Mossbergs are a little unrefined so to speak compared to the Remingtons but thats actually a good thing for Mossberg's biggest contract...the Govnt. (just a guess) but the slightly looser tolerances allow water and dirt some space fall out and allow the guns action to still operate under dirty or moist conditions. Kinda like the AK theory except loss of accuracy due to looser tolerances isnt so much a factor with shotguns since they are close range weapons anyway.

I could be wrong on this though? But yes they both make devastating holes either way!

David Armstrong
02-12-2010, 11:56
I really don't know much if anything about shotguns. I'm open to any suggestions as to where I should acquire these things. If anyone thinks I'm leaving something important out or should not use one of the items I have listed, please let me know.
Buy a fairly plain shotgun. Learn to shoot it. Get some training with it. Then decide if any of those doo-dads are still important to you.

David Armstrong
02-12-2010, 11:59
For defense one should be using 2.75" shells, not 3" magnum shells. Very little gain in performance but fairly high loss of usability. And if one learns how to shoot the shotgun correctly it will not beat you to death, even with the 3" shells. In fact, if it is hurting you it is a good indication you are mounting and holding the gun incorrectly.

B Coyote
02-12-2010, 18:00
Buy a fairly plain shotgun. Learn to shoot it. Get some training with it. Then decide if any of those doo-dads are still important to you.

Quoted because it needs to be read again.

My last shotgun had every accessory I could find. It was cool to look at and chicks dug it. Then I actually tried to USE the gun. It was heavy to lug around, swung poorly, and all those tacticool Viking Manliness gadgets snagged on everything imaginable.

My current shotgun is KISS.

bc

mixflip
02-13-2010, 01:49
Quoted because it needs to be read again.

My last shotgun had every accessory I could find. It was cool to look at and chicks dug it. Then I actually tried to USE the gun. It was heavy to lug around, swung poorly, and all those tacticool Viking Manliness gadgets snagged on everything imaginable.

My current shotgun is KISS.

bc

Well said, I think I am going to keep my shotgun plain jane as you guys mentioned. I am not even going to ad the side saddle I was planning on getting. Just a sling, devastating ammo and practice. My only other shotgun is a 930SPX semi-auto so there is no real similarity in battery of arms.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG5086.jpg
My new to me 590 "woody"

wilson133
02-13-2010, 08:21
It really doesn't matter which you choose, but if you have more than one shotgun, they should all be the same type. In a defensive situation you will be reacting and you want the contols to be the same no matter what you pick up. There are no time outs in gun fights.