Magpul MBUS sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MBUS sights

patman
10-22-2009, 19:19
How are folks liking these?I did a search here on GT and it didn't turn up much.Are they durable?Is the front one elevation adjustable?I could use another set of "flip ups" and I'm wondering if these will do the trick.

GenoTac Ind.
10-22-2009, 19:31
Waiting on mine to get here. Will be posting a full review video on the internet tube. Do a search after Monday.

Yes the front has elevation adjustment.

Addax Tactical
10-22-2009, 19:39
I like the Magpul Mbus sights.

I have banged them around a bit, and they work fine for what they are, a back up sight.

They work fine for a back up sight even though they are plastic.

They are light, and much lower in cost vs. most other BUIS.

They are not to be installed onto railed gas blocks, since they can warp or melt, but mounting it on a rail is perfectly fine.

Here are some pics of one of my ATAC Gas Piston Uppers with the MBUS sights mounted. (Note the 3rd pic, you can see the two part rear aperture, the front one folds down).

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/ATACGPU10.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/ATACGPU2.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/ATACGPU3.jpg

patman
10-22-2009, 19:46

I have banged them around a bit, and they work fine for what they are, a back up sight.

They work fine for a back up sight even though they are plastic.

They are light, and much lower in cost vs. most other BUIS.

They are not to be installed onto railed gas blocks, since they can warp or melt, but mounting it on a rail is perfectly fine.

Here are some pics of one of my ATAC Gas Piston Uppers with the MBUS sights mounted. (Note the 3rd pic, you can see the two part rear aperture, the front one folds down).

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/ATACGPU2.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/ATACGPU3.jpg

So you recommend them?I really only need a rear right now,but I've found it to be cheaper in the long run to just buy the pair.About $65.00 shipped for the rear,$75.00 shipped for the pair.And it wouldn't hurt to have spares around.

Addax Tactical
10-22-2009, 19:55
So you recommend them?I really only need a rear right now,but I've found it to be cheaper in the long run to just buy the pair.About $65.00 shipped for the rear,$75.00 shipped for the pair.And it wouldn't hurt to have spares around.

Yes.

I know some folks do not like them since they are made of plastic, but for a general back up sight, they work.

I own many different sets of sights, but these are the one's I take out with me the most since I know I am going to bang them up, and they will work fine.

I have not broken one yet..

We carry these sights, and we offer a Glock Talk Forum Member discount.:cool:

Thanks,
Chris

B.Reid
10-23-2009, 06:23
I have the rear sight on one of my rifles. It seems to be good quality, but I only use it as back up.

Cruiser702
10-23-2009, 07:31
+1 Great for back up sights. :)

Chuck TX
10-23-2009, 22:29
I ordered a MBUS to slap on my new Tac Sol AR-22. All my other BUIS's are Troy's, can't wait to see how it compares. If the quality is good, the price is definitely right.

G19freak
10-23-2009, 22:55
Getting real close to start bad mouthing Magpul.

Ordered a rear sight from Bravo Co---it arrived without a mounting screw and nut---e-mailed them and they said to contact Magpul--which I did.

Called them again a couple days ago after over a week of waiting----now its getting close to 2 weeks---and WHERE'S MY F-ING SCREW?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Feeling rather ripped off at the moment---spent $63 total for something that's worthless without the mounting hardware.

DD26
10-24-2009, 03:22
Getting real close to start bad mouthing Magpul.

Ordered a rear sight from Bravo Co---it arrived without a mounting screw and nut---e-mailed them and they said to contact Magpul--which I did.

Called them again a couple days ago after over a week of waiting----now its getting close to 2 weeks---and WHERE'S MY F-ING SCREW?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Feeling rather ripped off at the moment---spent $63 total for something that's worthless without the mounting hardware.

That's definitely not the norm for Magpul CS.:dunno:

If you have an Arfcom account, they have their own Industry sub-forum you could post in. Calling would be the best bet, but since you said you already called....trying another avenue of contact couldn't hurt.

G19freak
10-24-2009, 13:22
The screw showed up today--just shy of 2 weeks from when I called them---and nearly a month since I first ordered it from BCM.

I guess patience is a virtue.

joeG26er
10-24-2009, 13:38
The screw showed up today--just shy of 2 weeks from when I called them---and nearly a month since I first ordered it from BCM.

I guess patience is a virtue.

good to hear you finally got screw(ed) by them when you may have thought they screwed you since your sight was missing a screw at first
:rofl:

joeG26er
10-24-2009, 13:40

Minor thread jack:
What gloves are those. Do you like them and if yes, where to get them. Thanks

NeverMore1701
10-24-2009, 14:51
I had some that were very similar to those, but different colors. I want to say I got them at Academy several years ago. They held up decently. Mix of leather and synthetic with plastic over the knuckles.

TrooperBrian
10-24-2009, 23:47
I really like them, especially when my EOTech konked out one day and I had to actually use them. Worth every penny now.

crazypilot
10-24-2009, 23:56
I really like them, especially when my EOTech konked out one day and I had to actually use them. Worth every penny now.

That's why I keep iron sights on mine. Perfect example since I get a lot of guys telling me that you don't need them :upeyes:

I have a Troy flip up sight on mine. The Magpul sights are fine for the price. They will do the job.

patman
10-25-2009, 00:01
I'm looking at a several different options and it sounds like the Magpuls are a good one.I still like metal over plastic,but then I was the same about Glocks way back when.

G19freak
10-25-2009, 02:39
Now that I have mine mounted---its a decent sight for a back-up---it seems like its Glock strong---so possibly could be a main sight---time will tell I guess.

Now that there's a low cost BUIS option, maybe all the others will start bringing their outrageous prices down.

deMontacute
10-25-2009, 08:33
I've ordered some to go on my XCR. Hopefully they should be here next week (along with the XCR :banana:) From what I understand they work well with the XCR...

ETA: Have them now. Work well on my XCR. Haven't tried them on an AR however...

Mnukedude
10-25-2009, 12:58
I'm generally pleased, but had some difficulty zeroing the ones I worked with. The adjustments were a bit spongy, not the positive clicks I hoped for.

X-Spec
11-01-2009, 19:07
I have the Magpul rear MBUS on my Colt AR and they work find. The only complaint I have is the mounting screw is fully threaded and after taking the MBUS off during some cleaning I noticed the fully threaded mounting screw scraped some of the black off the top edge of the rail slot on my rifle, barely noticable but still annoying for me.
Now I know this is minor but a mostly shanked mounting bolt would solve this issue.

RMTactical
11-01-2009, 20:00
They seem robust enough and they are a very good value in my opinion. However, something about the plastic sights just turns me off. I just don't like it, not sure why. Also, don't like how the ghost ring is not rounded on the top like most AR15 rear sights are.

crazypilot
11-01-2009, 21:14
They seem robust enough and they are a very good value in my opinion. However, something about the plastic sights just turns me off. I just don't like it, not sure why. Also, don't like how the ghost ring is not rounded on the top like most AR15 rear sights are.
Me too. The Troy BUIS is metal and I can flip 0-200 & 200+ easily whereas Magpul, you have to dig your nail in to the sight to flip the 200+ sight out of the way. I don't like that. I've seen the Magpul get banged on the corner of a table and it did not break or fall off but I still like the metal sight.

ottomatic
11-01-2009, 21:23
I have a front one. Next time that I will need a set , I will have NO hesitations about putting a set on. The combination of low price and low weight is just too good.
And yes, you can't use one on a gas block.

Addax Tactical
11-04-2009, 18:57
Minor thread jack:
What gloves are those. Do you like them and if yes, where to get them. Thanks

Wiley X.

I used to carry them.

madecov
11-04-2009, 21:44
I'm using the Magpul sights on my next build. It's going to be a scoped rifle and the sights will be only as backup

ecmills
11-06-2009, 11:26
I like mine for *backup* use. The picture is not crisp enough for use as a primary sight, IMO. There's no comparison between them and a pair of Troy sights, for example. And for the price, there really shouldn't be.

They were cheap, and will point the rifle roughly at the target within 50-100yds if your optic fails.

Fwdftw
11-06-2009, 19:46
I like mine for *backup* use. The picture is not crisp enough for use as a primary sight, IMO. There's no comparison between them and a pair of Troy sights, for example. And for the price, there really shouldn't be.

They were cheap, and will point the rifle roughly at the target within 50-100yds if your optic fails.
i agree 100% with this fellow Memphian.. There a BUS thats it. I wouldnt use em for my main site.. by any means. But they are on my AR :)

metroplex
05-04-2010, 12:12
What will definitely happen if I mount a MBUS front sight on a railed gas block for a piston build?

RyanNREMTP
05-04-2010, 12:24
Does that area get hot after shooting a while? If so then I wouldn't put a Magpul site on that area.

I only have a rear site and I love it so far. Got mine for $55 late last year and glad I did. Wife is happy I didn't spend more also.

beretta-neo
05-04-2010, 14:09
I have a set on my MSAR - for backup sights. They seem to work well enough and the price was great!

ShaneS
05-04-2010, 14:27
I had a rear MBUS. I didn't care for it. It is as well made and tough as a polymer sight can be. It is okay as a true back up. I didn't like the mounting screw or the sight adjustment. Sent it back to Magpul because of problems with the sight adjustment knob and exchanged it for some PMAGs.

I am a Magpul fan but didn't care for the MBUS.

metroplex
05-04-2010, 14:31
I intend to use the back up sights mainly as a back up sight system. I don't plan to shoot NM at 500m with these, they just have to be durable. I ordered the MBUS front sight w/o realizing it was made of cheap plastic that will melt from the gas block heat.

B.Reid
05-04-2010, 16:31
I intend to use the back up sights mainly as a back up sight system. I don't plan to shoot NM at 500m with these, they just have to be durable. I ordered the MBUS front sight w/o realizing it was made of cheap plastic that will melt from the gas block heat.

I don't think I would put them on a gas block.

Archer-one
05-04-2010, 16:58
I have a pair and I thought that they were great for the money spent. I didn't expect for $80 that they would be "spring loaded" was a nice touch. I had them on my carbine while hunting in Texas and beat the snot out of all my weapons and never had any problems with them.

I kept the front sight flipped up for awhile and co-witnessed with my red dot before deeming it unnecessary to do so, anyhow; I found the sight to be surprisingly tough for the punishment I dished out on it.

For a high quality, less expensive back up sight, I would definitely say they are worth the money spent.

Fwdftw
05-04-2010, 18:03
I don't think I would put them on a gas block.

no sir the only way id run this front sight is with a low profile gas block and a 11inch rail.

deMontacute
05-05-2010, 08:33
I have a set on my MSAR - for backup sights. They seem to work well enough and the price was great!
I have a set on my AUG A3. Works great....

ftw13
05-05-2010, 09:55
they're good tough sights.....get them! polymer is tough stuff and it's much more cost effective

furioso2112
05-05-2010, 20:08
I have a few sets of the MBUSs and they were the right choice for me because of the price and use they get, which is not much. I haven't banged them around much. I just couldn't see paying the price for the Troy set. The Troy sets have come down in price in the year or two since I was looking for BUISs, though.

Seems like the decision-maker for me was considering that I could (at the time I was looking) buy an EoTech and Troys for about the same price as an aimpoint and MBUS...although I ended going the least expensive route of the above choices by getting the EoTech and MBUSs. I'd consider paying more for the Troys is they were on a no-optic gun or if I subjected my guns to harsher use than I do.

stopatrain
05-05-2010, 20:17
They are probably good, but I lean towards metal. I like my Troy BUIS.

Dobber
05-12-2010, 16:22
I had rear MBUS on 2 of my AR's but went back to Troy BUIS's. I like the MagPul but I like the Troy better. I have been using them for years and I guess it's a if it's not broke no need to change it.

ghostman1960
05-12-2010, 18:22

100 yard groups using my Magpul mbus.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt45/ghostman1960/DSCF0199.jpg
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt45/ghostman1960/DSCF0193.jpg

metroplex
05-12-2010, 18:28
I don't see how the Troy BUIS are magically "better" than the Magpul MBUS.
I looked through the MBUS and it was the same as any other BUIS / standard A2 sight. I can't see very well through any of the iron sights for fast shooting, low light shooting, etc... I am much faster with the EOTech.

tinman517
05-12-2010, 19:03
I got my Magpul MBUS front sight ($25.50) and the rear ($37.00) from ******Defense. At that price it was a no brainer. They are actually excellent back-up sights for the price.